Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Soulsborne combat debate

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it is risk and reward I never got great with it but some battles I learned and certain enemies I could get most of the time, to such an extent I made a build around it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I've been using the parry a lot more. BSB was a prick and I said I'd parry him, got him 4/5 times then killed me :pac:

I then went the conventional route of dodging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

petes wrote: »
    I've been using the parry a lot more. BSB was a prick and I said I'd parry him, got him 4/5 times then killed me :pac:

I then went the conventional route of dodging.

Easy way of killing BSB for future runs,
    throw a Pungent Blood Cocktail against a wall, he will attack the wall and you can just wail on him from behind with no trouble, he doesnt attack it for long so may take 2-3 cocktails
    but it makes the fight no trouble at all..

With regards to parrying, i tend to only bother using it on humanoid enemies, found they were just the easiest to read and punish with the followup.

nix wrote: »
    Easy way of killing BSB for future runs,
    throw a Pungent Blood Cocktail against a wall, he will attack the wall and you can just wail on him from behind with no trouble, he doesnt attack it for long so may take 2-3 cocktails
    but it makes the fight no trouble at all..

With regards to parrying, i tend to only bother using it on humanoid enemies, found they were just the easiest to read and punish with the followup.

I tried the above on BSB but wasn't working well for me. Had to just learn how he attacked and dodge etc. while getting a couple of hits in.

Was a nervy end as I had no vials left, had used my last antidote so had to get a hit and get away letting my poison go down. Enjoyed the fight, also enjoyed the Amelia fight earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Almost finished the main part of Bloodborne. I don't know if I'll bother with the DLC. I've enjoyed the game a lot, but I much prefered Sekiro. Some of the boss fights and normal enemies you had to fight in Sekiro were amazing. The fights were always tense and challenging. In Bloodborne, combat can feel quite mundane. Early on I settled into using Hunter Axe wide swing for most enemies, and I've had no reason to change. Works on regular enemies and most bosses, even just for thinning out the herd. The parry system timing is so off as to be pretty pointless, which means it's just hit & dodge.

Bloodborne also has the same problem I had with Sekiro where there's a bunch of consumables and items you can use... and it's not worth using most of them, especially since if you die they're gone, and they can be pretty rare. The checkpoints are also spaced further apart than in Sekiro so a lot more repetition of paths or running past enemies because it's not worth fighting them properly.

I'll take a break from Soulsborne games, I guess the next one will be the Demon Souls remake. So overall I have mostly changed my mind on Soulsborne games as a whole... but I still don't think they're the best thing ever.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Almost finished the main part of Bloodborne. I don't know if I'll bother with the DLC. I've enjoyed the game a lot, but I much prefered Sekiro. Some of the boss fights and normal enemies you had to fight in Sekiro were amazing. The fights were always tense and challenging. In Bloodborne, combat can feel quite mundane. Early on I settled into using Hunter Axe wide swing for most enemies, and I've had no reason to change. Works on regular enemies and most bosses, even just for thinning out the herd. The parry system timing is so off as to be pretty pointless, which means it's just hit & dodge.

Bloodborne also has the same problem I had with Sekiro where there's a bunch of consumables and items you can use... and it's not worth using most of them, especially since if you die they're gone, and they can be pretty rare. The checkpoints are also spaced further apart than in Sekiro so a lot more repetition of paths or running past enemies because it's not worth fighting them properly.

I'll take a break from Soulsborne games, I guess the next one will be the Demon Souls remake. So overall I have mostly changed my mind on Soulsborne games as a whole... but I still don't think they're the best thing ever.

Ah ya have to play the DLC, its probably the best content in the game, as for the items you cant replenish, keep checking back to your vendors, after certain checkpoints you unlock the potential to buy the rare items you're likely talking about..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bloodborne is more like a action game where you pick a weapon based on its moveset and not on stats. Every weapon is viable.

As for the DLC I echo what was said before. Souls games have the best dlc and bloodborne is no different. You need to play it.

Just remember you can't go back and play the dlc if you finish the game!

nix wrote: »
    as for the items you cant replenish, keep checking back to your vendors, after certain checkpoints you unlock the potential to buy the rare items you're likely talking about..

Yeah but I always find it's the hassle of that that's not worth it. Say it was recommended that bolt paper is effective against a boss, I use all I have and still die. I then have to go buy more, but I also now lost whatever blood echoes I had. Similar happened in Sekiro. I found I'm better off just trying to take down the harder enemies/bosses without using items (unless I'm pretty certain I'll finish them off with it). But I then end up with a bunch of consumables I've never used.

With Sekiro, most vendors only sold a few of each item. With Bloodborne, items usually cost the same currency as you need for levelling up. I've never found it worth it to really invest any time in learning how to use the items effectively because of that. Item descriptions in both games also aren't always the clearest on what the item does or when it's effective, so you also risk wasting the items unless you google them and see what they're used for.

It's not a major issue, but even just this evening using the sedatives for getting past the singing brain guys in Bloodborne, it did strike me that I've barely used the square button throughout the entire game. Mostly just for antidotes.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just remember you can't go back and play the dlc if you finish the game!

Wait, I'd have to play the DLC before beating the final boss too?

What happened to people who'd already finished the game when the DLC was released? They have to go through the game again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah and subsequent playthroughs are harder

• Advertisement

Old Hunters DLC was excellent!

Wait, I'd have to play the DLC before beating the final boss too?

What happened to people who'd already finished the game when the DLC was released? They have to go through the game again?

Well if you finish the game, you go onto NG+, so to then play the DLC, you need to get passed Gascoigne to get to the entrance of the DLC area, so you can do that on NG+ or start a fresh character, but getting passed gascoigne on a fresh character and going straight for the DLC, you will have a rough time surviving nearly all the mobs as you would be under leveled.

Id say after killing ROM, you will be at a decent level to start on the DLC

Alright, turns out the dlc is half price until tomorrow night, so may as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Alright, turns out the dlc is half price until tomorrow night, so may as well.

Worth it..From Software dlc is always excellent. I mean even the much maligned Dark Souls 2 has probably the best dlc of any game.

Advertisement