Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

I think youtube deleted it! It’s not showing on my app at all now

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Remind us how it will work exactly. We mark all the songs out of 20 here on the thread, you add up all the scores, and then what happens? How is it determined which songs move on and which are knocked out?

Is it every song out of 20, or just 20 songs from each list ranked 1-20 and the rest not scoring? If it's every song is zero a legitimate score or is 1 the minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pretzill wrote: »
    Would it be better for you to just group each song or categorise based on era or genre so the playlists would be shorter than 300+ - it would br like us voting on a walrus of twenty songs each round

Or am I just putting too much stock in great female singers/songwriters and hoping it's not Mariah Carey :)

The first playlist is 25 songs, not 300+

No you will score every song out of 20 points. I’ll then eliminate the lowest scored songs. I was just wondering if 20 points is enough to get a good amount of songs eliminated. .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The first playlist is 25 songs, not 300+

I saw 346 above...so that's a total? Where are the 25 coming from?

I'm lost but I often am on these "Greatest threads"

ETA: link working now

Pretzill wrote: »
    I saw 346 above...so that's a total? Where are the 25 coming from?

I'm lost but I often am on these "Greatest threads"

I’ve broken it down into batches of 25 every day or so. Gives you chance to listen to them all. The head to head rounds are a while away yet. This is the qualifying round

• Advertisement

No you will score every song out of 20 points. I’ll then eliminate the lowest scored songs. I was just wondering if 20 points is enough to get a good amount of songs eliminated. .

Yeah ratings out of 20 should be fine to separate the good from the bad, if theres a good few people voting.

So are you eliminating the lowest scored songs from each group? Or whatever the lowest scoring songs out of all 300+ are?

How long do we have to rate this first group?

I was just wondering if 20 points is enough to get a good amount of songs eliminated. .

Not sure what you mean by this. I presumed that you'd decide how many you want to go through to the knockout stage and then choose the top 64/128/whatever scoring songs from the final list.

I’ve broken it down into batches of 25 every day or so. Gives you chance to listen to them all. The head to head rounds are a while away yet. This is the qualifying round

Ah Ok - I just didn't think there wouldn't be a need to listen to all :) - gotcha

Yeah ratings out of 20 should be fine to separate the good from the bad, if theres a good few people voting.

So are you eliminating the lowest scored songs from each group? Or whatever the lowest scoring songs out of all 300+ are?

How long do we have to rate this first group?

I’ll eliminate the lowest scoring songs from the combined lists. You don’t have to have the scores in before the next batch of songs i just thought it would be easier to listen and grade if it was in smaller batches.

Listen at your leisure.

Zaph wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by this. I presumed that you'd decide how many you want to go through to the knockout stage and then choose the top 64/128/whatever scoring songs from the final list.

Lol Zaph. I’m thinking on my feet at the minute. No idea how the maths work out for the next stage yet :D

I

I’ll eliminate the lowest scoring songs from the combined lists.

Would that not cause a problem if you have less people scoring group A compared to group B, for example? Overall the scores for group A will be lower and they could all be eliminated as a result. Or will the scores be averaged in some way?

Lol Zaph. I’m thinking on my feet at the minute. No idea how the maths work out for the next stage yet :D

I

Sorry Strawbs, I'll stop now :D

I’ve thought about that. I’ll be keeping track of who has scored what songs and I’ll send off a PM to remind them of any outstanding they’ve yet to score.

Depending on how many they’ve already scored, I’ll either disregard their scores completely or average out the ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

like the champions league. filter out the worst so we can get down to business!

Just one more thing Strawbs and then I'll stop asking annoying questions...

Should there be a game thread for all this, or is this round happening here in the sign ups thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was “The Power of Love” by Jennifer Rush mentioned yet?

Was “The Power of Love” by Jennifer Rush mentioned yet?

You just mentioned it and that's enough... Greatest...not most annoying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i know its the idea, but some of the songs i've never heard before are awesome!

Just one more thing Strawbs and then I'll stop asking annoying questions...

Should there be a game thread for all this, or is this round happening here in the sign ups thread?

Oh. I dunno.

Some really strong songs in that first group - only 2 that I really didn't like at all, and one or two others that were just a bit 'meh', but the majority are solid. Will be tough to decide what marks to give them. There's at least 5 I could easily give full marks to.

Will have to have another listen or two again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Thats a hell of a lot of work you have put on yourself Strawbs, I tend to take the easy way out :)

Some great tunes in that first group and one of my noms

So the qualifying round will take about 3 weeks?

Morning.

Kolido, the best I could do was break it down into groups of 25 which will be 1 1/2 to 2 hours of listening each section. So it’s gonna be 2 weeks minimum at least.

I still don’t know if I should be opening a new thread now or leave that until we have narrowed the list down.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Up to you Strawbs. You could wait for a new thread for the head-to-heads.

Or you could have the new thread from the batch voting. I can move the posts to a new thread if that's what you'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You could wait until the first round starts, then copy the qualifying playlists there just to have everything in the same place.

• Advertisement

I think it’s best to have a smaller selection of songs ready for the live thread. Thanks you lot.

Advertisement