Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Mav11 wrote:
    Part of her charm?

Turns me off (my radio too).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I know Brendan, but still. Cognitive dissonance or something. if someone misses a relative enough, they'll convince themselves of an excuse. I have a relative who is currently waiting for flights to reopen to his home city (Covid hotspot) to see his folks. Understandable, but not necessary travel.

I see no drawback to a robust, narrowly defined definition of necessary travel. If you don't strictly define it, you'll get some very dubious interpretations.

Ty, they would probably end up like the rules of golf. 160 page book.

Whooooy?

Because the have to cover every possible situation that can occur in almost legalese language.

Unfortunately the situation we are in precludes the ‘aaah sure’ approach so beloved of the Irish.

Of course there will be hard cases,but hey, what can we do.

An interesting question, the Brenner hits off to say Ibiza for the ten days, has a good time, in the clubs, giving it socks.

Comes back mixes with loads of folk, not a bother, tests positive as do ten or twenty of the people he was mixing with.

The Brenner admits to heading off to Spain.... what sanctions can be brought against him.

Very obvious he is the ‘carrier’.

Any idea.?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Stewball

First Up wrote: »
    I know she is looking nervously over her shoulder at Claire Byrne but someone should tell her that shrill interruptions won't help her keep the job.

So you wanted to hear more of Sammy Wilson's ramblings?

Stewball wrote:
    So you wanted to hear more of Sammy Wilson's ramblings?

She was interrupting others as it happens but good interviewers listen to what is said before asking the next question. If someone is rambling on, then fair enough but she was cutting across people who had barely got a sentence out.

She was interrupting others as it happens but good interviewers listen to what is said before asking the next question. If someone is rambling on, then fair enough but she was cutting across people who had barely got a sentence out.

That’s learned from the Vincent Browne book of ‘Flashbang’ interviewing.

We all know what a Flashbang is.

It’s a flash grenade used by usually police to break up a riot by disorientating the rioters with loud bright ‘flashes and smoke’ from hand propelled devices from several different angles.

That was the VB tactic, start firing questions at the subject and then when he/she is confused start interrupting after the first sentence of the answer with another question, that is known as the ‘Flashbang’ and eventually when a few of these are tossed in the poor subject doesn’t know where they are.

Sarah tries that quite a bit.

The antidote of course is to stop, let her complete the second question and ask her to repeat the first question again “So I can address it fully”

Do not under any circumstances try to match the tempo of her questioning, you are a goner if you try that.

The odds are stacked against you, play to YOUR tempo.

Not easy, but nothing is easy in that situation.

• Advertisement

Addendum, a very good example is going on right now on Drivetime with Boucher - Hayes.

Don’t know who the Minister is , but he is not going down the rabbit hole.

The Brenner admits to heading off to Spain.... what sanctions can be brought against him.

Very obvious he is the ‘carrier’.

Any idea.?
    Not sure we should have any criminal sanctions, otherwise people will avoid engagement with the health services.

But there is a certain social stigma in breaching guidelines, we saw that ourselves at the outset of the Lockdown, before it was legally enforced.

So give us strict travel guidelines, narrowly defined limits on travel, and let the public mood police it.

Not sure we should have any criminal sanctions, otherwise people will avoid engagement with the health services.

But there is a certain social stigma in breaching guidelines, we saw that ourselves at the outset of the Lockdown, before it was legally enforced.

So give us strict travel guidelines, narrowly defined limits on travel, and let the public mood police it.

Ty, we have strict guidelines, don’t travel abroad.

All this ‘confusion’ is being hyped by the airlines and travel industry and hospitality sector, and the media.

It’s totally transparent........don’t travel abroad.

Here’s Eoin Corry......

VESTED INTEREST LOUD AND CLEAR.

That’s learned from the Vincent Browne book of ‘Flashbang’ interviewing.

The Morning Ireland crew are big into it too. They think it makes them sound assertive, whereas it just makes them sound rude.

They could learn a lot from the BBC Radio 4 Today team. They invite interviewees to talk themselves into trouble, never interrupting while they do.
    The antidote of course is to stop, let her complete the second question and ask her to repeat the first question again “So I can address it fullyâ€

Simon Coveney is one of the better ones at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Here’s Eoin Corry......

VESTED INTEREST LOUD AND CLEAR.

Must be a special rule that they have to contact this guy anytime there's a travel related discussion. Seems to be on every other day. Are there no other travel reporters in the country?

The Morning Ireland crew are big into it too. They think it makes them sound assertive, whereas it just makes them sound rude.

They could learn a lot from the BBC Radio 4 Today team. They invite interviewees to talk themselves into trouble, never interrupting while they do.

Simon Coveney is one of the better ones at that.

Wellllll..... Nick Robinson .......Today...no slouch, but usually apologizes

But they are certainly better at cutting off the waffling.

Must be a special rule that they have to contact this guy anytime there's a travel related discussion. Seems to be on every other day. Are there no other travel reporters in the country?

Must have a link with the ACARS system, spends most of his time in the air, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must have a link with the ACARS system, spends most of his time in the air, it seems.

I'd say you'd rack up some carbon footprint printing out his carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Ty, we have strict guidelines, don’t travel abroad.

All this ‘confusion’ is being hyped by the airlines and travel industry and hospitality sector, and the media.

It’s totally transparent........don’t travel abroad.

I have to agree with this. I went through the government advice on travel (including the new Green List) in my head today...just to check if I had been missing something in the advice, as I keep hearing on the radio (and reading) about the supposed confusion around it all. But nothing changed and it's still very clear and straightforward to me.

...and those looking for an excuse to justify going on a foreign holiday and some politicians.

Agreed on this. Justin Webb and Martha Kearney in particular. Kearney is one of the few BBC journalists who knows Northern Ireland inside out, she eviscerated a fair number of bumbling Tories during in the run-up to the Brexit Agreement, very meticulously, without ever losing her temper.

I think Sarah McInerney comes close but I don't suppose you agree.

Agreed on this. Justin Webb and Martha Kearney in particular. Kearney is one of the few BBC journalists who knows Northern Ireland inside out, she eviscerated a fair number of bumbling Tories during in the run-up to the Brexit Agreement, very meticulously, without ever losing her temper.

I think Sarah McInerney comes close but I don't suppose you agree.

Well, FWIW, I agree. The main difference is that Martha has ten years experience behind her to call upon. I think Sarah started pretty well, has learned quickly and is stamping her authority on the show.

Lord, I fear that there will be a ratcheting up of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering of NKTM, and that RTÉ will do something daft and ill advised, and hand the show over to someone in the “stable”.

Well, FWIW, I agree. The main difference is that Martha has ten years experience behind her to call upon. I think Sarah started pretty well, has learned quickly and is stamping her authority on the show.

Stamping her foot more like. She can be quite good when she keeps her cool but gets excited too easily.

Stamping her foot more like. She can be quite good when she keeps her cool but gets excited too easily.

Keeping your cool comes, in part, with experience; that’s my point really. Sarah’s not perfect, but she’s doing well and getting better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was in a newsagents today picking up a paper. Claire Byrne's noggin staring at me from some 'Country Life' magazine (or similar).

Noel's winning the exposure war anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

KevRossi wrote: »
    Was in a newsagents today picking up a paper. Claire Byrne's noggin staring at me from some 'Country Life' magazine (or similar).

Noel's winning the exposure war anyway.

If he is having to do this much she's obviously not the "chosen" one .

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

Very hard to listen to her interviews as she adopts a got ya philosophy on every question she asks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Infoanon

bookman2 wrote: »
    Very hard to listen to her interviews as she adopts a got ya philosophy on every question she asks!

Are you listening to Sarahs interview with Leo ? , Leo is tying himself up in knots and Sarah is well able to push when required - Sarah is well prepped for this interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

Infoanon wrote: »
    Are you listening to Sarahs interview with Leo ? , Leo is tying himself up in knots and Sarah is well able to push when required - Sarah is well prepped for this interview.

It’s a bizarre way to interview someone it’s like being interviewed by a lawyer!

Crazy carryon from her when asking her about the green list . It’s quite clear the advice yet she just didn’t want to understand.

It’s a bizarre way to interview someone it’s like being interviewed by a lawyer!

Crazy carryon from her when asking her about the green list . It’s quite clear the advice yet she just didn’t want to understand.

How was it crazy carry on ? , mixed messaging and 3 FF ministers saying the opposite would leave confusion.

Mixed messaging continued with the staycation and the tax refund re Failte Ireland AND the Vat rate cut and if it was to be passed on (Leo says no and Pascal says Yes....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hazel Chu yet again

That’s been the m.o. of the media on this from day one.

‘Coming the auld soldier’ strategy it’s called.

“This is the advice, unless your foreign travel is essential don’t go.

If you go,you will have to restrict movement for two weeks on return except from these listed countries.“

Aaaaaaaaahh Heeeeeyur....... what does all that stuff mean , shure we are only ordinary people ,we couldn’t understand that .....the lads on the wireless cannnot make head nor tail of it too.We’re only the auld ghillies.

“Listen Joe, just on the internet and there’s a great deal to Monaco, we’ll
    get Ryanair to Stanstead, surface to Gatwick an Easyjet to Nice, and then on to Monaco by taxi.
    I’ve booked the car and the hotel and we’ll be coming back via Paris and City Jet to Dublin.Ive prebooked the seats and baggage allowance is 20kgs.

Joe “ jaysus whar about the self isolation??

Maisie.” Whah...... we’ ll just come the auld soldier...it’ll be grandt”?

So clear that FG Eimear Higgins on Sarahs Friday panel just said the opposite to Leo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Poor Leo got an eye opener on interview preparation, seems he wasn't aware the staycation tax refund can only be availed of when spending money in a premises that is Failte Ireland registered, indeed Adrian Cummins from THE RAI texted Sarah to confirm this is the case, Leo caught out. I could sense Adrian having a good snigger.

I wondered how many Pubs, Restaurants are actually registered with Failte Ireland? Not many I suspect, absolute shambles of an idea anyway.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hazel Chu yet again
    Has she told us we're racist yet? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement