Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Infoanon wrote: »
    TWSS - you are working. Different scheme.

For months is has been known that you would not receive the PUP scheme if you travelled.
    Clearly the advice is do not travel.

O'Dea was talking nonsense and Sarah for whatever reason didn't pick him up on any of it.

O'Dea made the point correctly that there are no jobs available at the moment. This isn't nonsense.

It's unnecessarily mean and clearly targeting people in the service industry, who are the main people on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

O'Dea made the point correctly that there are no jobs available at the moment. This isn't nonsense.

It's unnecessarily mean and clearly targeting people in the service industry, who are the main people on PUP.

Not to mention coming on top of the announcement that Ireland was successful in challenging the EU that Apple owed tax money. They're not directly comparable, but from an optics perspective, it is a complete own goal.

Between that and Pascal saying super junior ministers had to get a pay rise of 16K so they were being paid the same as others doing the same job was literally giving 2 fingers to teachers and medical professionals who still haven't achieved pay parity with colleagues after changes made for new entrants since the 2008 crash.

And to put icing on to the top of this cake of PR ineptitude, the stories of Barry Cowen, Eamonn Ryan sleeping have been accompanied with announcements of a huge number of advisors being appointed.

The pride people felt about our government only a few months ago has all but evaporated.

At this rate, Mary Lou could be Taoiseach by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Not to mention coming on top of the announcement that Ireland was successful in challenging the EU that Apple owed tax money. They're not directly comparable, but from an optics perspective, it is a complete own goal.

Between that and Pascal saying super junior ministers had to get a pay rise of 16K so they were being paid the same as others doing the same job was literally giving 2 fingers to teachers and medical professionals who still haven't achieved pay parity with colleagues after changes made for new entrants since the 2008 crash.

And to put icing on to the top of this cake of PR ineptitude, the stories of Barry Cowen, Eamonn Ryan sleeping have been accompanied with announcements of a huge number of advisors being appointed.

The pride people felt about our government only a few months ago has all but evaporated.

Is this not a strawman argument. Whataboutery. Without deflecting to other issues, why not stick to the actual topic. People who are in receipt of the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment are obliged to comply with certain criteria and conditions. One of these being "if you are genuinely seeking work". So, if one of these recipients is on holidays (which they are perfectly entitled to do), then that would preclude them from seeking work. Hence, the payment is cut. I don't really see the issue. Government ministers getting a pay rise is an entirely separate issue IMO. It's wrong and I don't agree with it, and the optics certainly look bad, but ultimately irrelevant. If I don't pay my taxes, I'm punished, but should I be exempt because Apple didn't pay theirs? :confused:

Is this not a strawman argument. Whataboutery. Without deflecting to other issues, why not stick to the actual topic. People who are in receipt of the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment are obliged to comply with certain criteria and conditions. One of these being "if you are genuinely seeking work". So, if one of these recipients is on holidays (which they are perfectly entitled to do), then that would preclude them from seeking work. Hence, the payment is cut. I don't really see the issue. Government ministers getting a pay rise is an entirely separate issue IMO. It's wrong and I don't agree with it, and the optics certainly look bad, but ultimately irrelevant. If I don't pay my taxes, I'm punished, but should I be exempt because Apple didn't pay theirs? :confused:

No, it's not necessarily whataboutery because I am referring to the optics of it all more so than the black and white legality of it. And this, added to the optics of the Apple case do not show the government in a positive light.

Like Leo doing a photoshoot before saying that welfare cheats are stealing from all of us but then taking a soft approach with Maria Bailey.

None of what has happened is enough yet to collapse a government but they are certainly changing how they are it being perceived and if a major scandal does happen and there's a divide amongst the parties, then SF only have to do what Joe Biden is doing in the US and let the incumbents shoot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct, this was flagged when the COVID scheme was launched.

If you dont want to be bound by the conditions , don’t accept the money.

It’s very simple, but again the govt make a total bollox of it, leaving a free unfettered field for the media and the scones from the left make hay.

Then they afraid to send out someone to defend the shambles.

Incredible incompetence.

If the govt has to row back on this the coin who signed off on this should be sacked immediately .

• Advertisement

^^^

The fact that something was made clear (which I think many would still argue with giving conflicting messages still on offical channels) is only incidental in the impact that this is having.
    I don't agree with a lot of what this fella comes out (certainly not in relation to Covid) but it is hard to argue with the view that government policy/strategy is targeting one group over another unfairly.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1287482138770776067

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

^^^

The fact that something was made clear (which I think many would still argue with giving conflicting messages still on offical channels) is only incidental in the impact that this is having.
    I don't agree with a lot of what this fella comes out (certainly not in relation to Covid) but it is hard to argue with the view that government policy/strategy is targeting one group over another unfairly.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1287482138770776067

That Sunday Times article is inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

TWSS - you are working. Different scheme.

For months is has been known that you would not receive the PUP scheme if you travelled.
    Clearly the advice is do not travel.

O'Dea was talking nonsense and Sarah for whatever reason didn't pick him up on any of it.

Nothing remotely surprising about that, RTE love the narrative about the "vulnerable "being discriminated against

O Dea was saying what Sarah- RTE wanted to hear

Despicable by O’Dea the little weasel trying to have a foot in every camp, and yes Sarah should have taken a stronger line.

This ‘ you can’t do this but “aaaah shure’ utter crap should be stamped out.

O’Reilly at the same game and again Sarah tossed the passes to her to tap the ball into the net

Saying people were “living it up” and suggesting that people were using the COVID cash to “ pay for their holiday”.

Back to original point.... Willie o Dea and his ilk need voting out of the Dail havent the balls of a fieldmouse when the hard views are needed.

Total churns

O dea has a big long term welfare vote in limerick City

He's a cheap populist who would put any healy rae to shame

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    O dea has a big long term welfare vote in limerick City

He's a cheap populist who would put any healy rae to shame

He proved it this morning, useless scraping of helmet cheese.

• Advertisement

So it seems there's been clarity today following the Tanaiste's interview last Friday with Sarah McInerney.

There is general advice not to travel abroad, but there are now exemptions to that advice – the Green List. For countries on this list, there is no advice against non essential travel, but travellers are to exercise "normal precaution" (see attached image of Twitter link doesn't open).

It would seem that the Tanaiste knew of the update on last Friday's programme, but maybe it hadn't been finalised, hence his somewhat garbled explanation.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1287717318789935104?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So it seems there's been clarity today following the Tanaiste's interview last Friday with Sarah McInerney.

There is general advice not to travel abroad, but there are now exemptions to that advice – the Green List. For countries on this list, there is no advice against non essential travel, but travellers are to exercise "normal precaution" (see attached image of Twitter link doesn't open).

It would seem that the Tanaiste knew of the update on last Friday's programme, but maybe it hadn't been finalised, hence his somewhat garbled explanation.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1287717318789935104?s=19

Leo was badly prepared on Friday full stop. The travel message has been confused and Leo only added to the confusion and mixed messaging and Sarah showed up his blustering during the interview.

Leo is normally good on detail but on Fridays show he was found wanting.

As for the latest advice.....the health NPHET advice has not changed so this probably has a lot more to do with business pressures and insurance.

He proved it this morning, useless scraping of helmet cheese.

My least favourite TD in the Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Mary Lou would be sure to keep discipline!
    Paddy Houlihan 'the hooligan' is surely a good advertisement there.

I didn't know that they were nominating him for Cathaoirleach was the message that came from SF.

I thought they knew everything.

I don't see any way that Mary Lou could become taoiseach in the current Dail.

Sarah has been saying that she's confused a lot lately about foreign travel.

Is she doing her job or pushing for the full-time gig.

As for the latest advice.....the health NPHET advice has not changed so this probably has a lot more to do with business pressures and insurance.
    There might also be some tension between the Government and NPHET on ending the advice against non-essential travel. You'd get the impression that the Government is less adherent to NPHET now. If they haven't yet parted company, they're certainly now keeping to their own lanes.

I don't think this is a bad thing. As much as most of us trust NPHET, you can't have medical experts running the country indefinitely. Some tension between them is probably healthy, it keeps them both on their toes.

Well one thing is for sure ,thanks to Sarahs interview techniques the disastrous start for this government has been laid bare for all to be seen.

NPHET - advice based in medical evidence is ignored by any government at its peril.

Next instalment at 10am tomorrow !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

imme wrote: »
    Sarah has been saying that she's confused a lot lately about foreign travel.

Is she doing her job or pushing for the full-time gig.

That's her doing her job. Sean O'Rourke was good at this too, you have to remember that your audience is who you are the voice of. So sometimes your questions will come across as a bit silly or repetitive, but if you're good at it it'll be a fair reflection of the listenership.

I remember SOR had someone on to explain pr-stv in the lead up to the general election. Now obviously he knew all about it, but still had to play dumb so that the guest could explain for Joe and Jane Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

dulpit wrote: »
    That's her doing her job. Sean O'Rourke was good at this too, you have to remember that your audience is who you are the voice of. So sometimes your questions will come across as a bit silly or repetitive, but if you're good at it it'll be a fair reflection of the listenership.

I remember SOR had someone on to explain pr-stv in the lead up to the general election. Now obviously he knew all about it, but still had to play dumb so that the guest could explain for Joe and Jane Public.

I get the point you're making, but facilitating an explanation of a complex voting system for the listeners is a hell of a lot different to 'playing dumb' and just adding to the (supposed) confusion around pretty clear advice...imo.

Cole wrote: »
    I get the point you're making, but facilitating an explanation of a complex voting system for the listeners is a hell of a lot different to 'playing dumb' and just adding to the (supposed) confusion around pretty clear advice...imo.

Correct..all contrived confusion.

• Advertisement

So clear that the FG TD came on later on the same show and contradicted what Leo says.

So clear that RTE are using the exchange between Sarah and Leo in on air promos for the show.....

When it comes to public health advice, it's even more important to get an interviewee to speak as clearly and concisely as possible. There should be no ambiguity.

I'm actually a little amazed that anyone would think Sarah McInerney is such a dolt as to be incapable of interpreting meaning and subtext. The whole point of her being there is to understand both, and to ensure the listener does too.

Similarly, you'll often hear Mary Wilson (who for years was a courts reporter) ask the most basic questions about how the courts work, when she could probably write a book on it. None of this impedes public understanding, it facilitates it.

It is a question of style though, others prefer a more interjective approach. Pat Kenny will sometimes demonstrate his knowledge of fluid mechanics or mechanical-ventilation systems to a somewhat flummoxed guest, before asking a vaguely related question (several recent examples).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

When it comes to public health advice, it's even more important to get an interviewee to speak as clearly and concisely as possible. There should be no ambiguity.

I completely agree and while the advice has not always been communicated as clearly as it should be (e.g. Leo last week), it is clear. Therefore, because of the seriousness of the advice, Sarah should help the listener to understand/clarify rather than adding to the confusion.
    I'm actually a little amazed that anyone would think Sarah McInerney is such a dolt as to be incapable of interpreting meaning and subtext. The whole point of her being there is to understand both, and to ensure the listener does too.

I already acknowledged Sarah's obvious intelligence earlier in the thread, so I think it's (as already said in the thread) just contrived 'confusion'...so as above again for Sarah. I think we (well most of us) know that Sarah is 'playing dumb', so I'm a little amazed too that I have to clarify this.

I completely agree and while the advice has not always been communicated as clearly as it should be (e.g. Leo last week), it is clear.

I might be misremembering but were you not saying last week that Leo indicated the advice was against unnecessary foreign travel?

Those of us who said he didn't were told we were exaggerating, then the advice officially changed.

So clear that the FG TD came on later on the same show and contradicted what Leo says.

So clear that RTE are using the exchange between Sarah and Leo in on air promos for the show.....

Don't travel unless it is an emergency, a holiday is not an emergency,

It gives Dying For A Holiday a whole new meaning.

They're using Leo for the promo as it is topical.

Politicians and Broadcasters who say they're confused in the media are headline seeking imo.

Don't travel unless it is an emergency, a holiday is not an emergency,
    That's not the Government advice for Green List countries, they changed it yesterday.

They're using Leo for the promo as it is topical.

Politicians and Broadcasters who say they're confused in the media are headline seeking imo.
    They're using Varadkar as the promo because he garbled the message, he obviously had known the advice was changing, and McInerney picked up on it. She should be praised for spotting it, that's her job.

Varadkar was on Newstalk the same morning, at Pat Kenny just breezed by it. He missed a trick there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Marc MacSherry on saying a lot in the public sector are not working at all and getting full pay and are basically taking the p1ss. I actually can't believe a politician is being so straight shooting and not backing down from his comments but I agree 100%, we need a few more politicians like him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Klonker wrote: »
    Marc MacSherry on saying a lot in the public sector are not working at all and getting full pay and are basically taking the p1ss. I actually can't believe a politician is being so straight shooting and not backing down from his comments but I agree 100%, we need a few more politicians like him

How many days have the Dáil sat since election? How many committees are up and running? How many days off will they be getting for the summer break now? What a load of rubbish from Marc MacSharry...

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Tampax unable to provide a spokesperson to appear on Sarah’s program as “it’s the peak holiday PERIOD”. Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Klonker wrote: »

Or, when your party in govt is falling around like a drunken sailor, stir up the auld public/private debate to deflect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement