Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wasn't in the mood for anything heavy so I watched "The Map of Tiny Perfect Things" today.

It's basically a teen time loop thingy. Mark has been living the same day over and over and the novelty is wearing off until one day he meets Margaret, who has also been living the same day over and over. They start spending time together and the inevitable happens but it's a really sweet little film, with a nice message, and really strong leads, and although I figured out the "twist" pretty early on it was still enjoyable watching it play out.

If you're any way cynical it's not going to be for you, but if you're looking for a fun, sweet and not at all taxing way to spend 99 minutes of your day, maybe this is for you.
    I really enjoyed that, very sweet little film.
    Two leads are excellent.
    Cracking recommendation thanks for that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

gmisk wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that, very sweet little film.
    Two leads are excellent.
    Cracking recommendation thanks for that.

Glad you liked it. I know my own taste, but I also know it's very random and sometimes pure trash :D

Two films in a similar vein (i.e. sweet kids being sweet) are Class Rank, also on Prime, and The Half of It on Netflix.

Glad you liked it. I know my own taste, but I also know it's very random and sometimes pure trash :D

Two films in a similar vein (i.e. sweet kids being sweet) are Class Rank, also on Prime, and The Half of It on Netflix.
    It was really sweet, I am a sucker for something like this to. Palm springs is a very different beast bar the time loop thing.

Never heard of those two I will add them to my watchlist!

If you like a bit of an off the wall teen drama/comedy I would recommend
    The edge of seventeen (on netflix)
    Set it up (on netflix very formulaic but two leads are v good)
    The way, way back
    Booksmart (on netflix)
    Spontaneous (it's bizarre veers into horror but I liked it)
    Blockers

It was really sweet, I am a sucker for something like this to. Palm springs is a very different beast bar the time loop thing.

Never heard of those two I will add them to my watchlist!

If you like a bit of an off the wall teen drama/comedy I would recommend
    The edge of seventeen (on netflix)
    Set it up (on netflix very formulaic but two leads are v good)
    The way, way back
    Booksmart (on netflix)
    Spontaneous (it's bizarre veers into horror but I liked it)
    Blockers

:D I have seen all of those, bar Spontaneous, which I've been meaning to watch. It's on Rakuten at the moment, but only to buy.

There's another one just out called Looks That Kill, about a boy born so handsome people die if they look directly at him. Sounds right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

* adds the map of tiny perfect things, set it up and spontaneous to watch list *

• Advertisement

:D I have seen all of those, bar Spontaneous, which I've been meaning to watch. It's on Rakuten at the moment, but only to buy.

There's another one just out called Looks That Kill, about a boy born so handsome people die if they look directly at him. Sounds right up my street.
    Ha ha well it was worth a go. I must have a think about some others.

Looks that kill sounds er random ha

Spontaneous is definitely a love it or hate it one!

I watched class rank....
    How have I never even heard of it?!? It reminded me a lot of election.
    Its really enjoyable, it has all the ingredients of a little cult gem, mad it isn't more well known.
    Thanks so much for the recommendation!

I watched class rank....
    How have I never even heard of it?!? It reminded me a lot of election.
    Its really enjoyable, it has all the ingredients of a little cult gem, mad it isn't more well known.
    Thanks so much for the recommendation!

You're welcome. I watched it randomly on NowTV last year and loved it.

I watched the other one I was telling you about, Looks That Kill, about the boy with a face so handsome it kills people :eek: It's alright, but not great, much less weird than the premise makes it sound, but not as good as the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

qwabercd wrote: »
    Just started watching Bates motel recently. It's a contemporary prequel to Psycho. Loving it so far, unfortunately it's leaving Prime (for BBC I think) later this week.

+1 This was on Netflix a couple years ago - I loved it - the relationship between Norman & his mother is fantastically creepy - kudos to both actors! The surrounding story line is a bit silly but it is very enjoyable overall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Anyone seen snakes on a plane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I Care A Lot has been added. Looking forward to watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

donfers wrote: »
    Anyone seen snakes on a plane?

I was on a plane in the Tunisia once and there was one fella who had a snake with him. It was a bit unnerving as was sitting fairly close to me, but thankfully the snake behaved himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Never heard of this. But from the reviews I've just read, it's on my viewing schedule for tonight. Seems interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Looking forward to this. The trailer starts and I thought "oh I heard about this kind of scam on John Oliver" and then it goes way off. Should be good.

I just watched this...it is a tad bonkers...to say the least!
    Great cast.
    Rosamund Pike is excellent, as is Dianne Wiest in the scenes she is in, such an underrated actress.
    the Rosamund Pike character is literally vile.....rare I have hated someone quite as much as this in a film..how the hell did she survive the part with the car in water...ridiculous, the girlfriend also left alive..nah after the break in etc. In fairness between this and gone girl she does psychopaths well. Stupid twist after stupid twist.
    Glad she finally got some comeuppance! The twist before with then going into business...huh?!
    Not sure I could recommend it, tonally absolutely all over the shop, really stretches credulity the more it goes on... loopy.

I would maybe give it 5/10...and that's pretty generous

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I just watched this...it is a tad bonkers...to say the least!
    Great cast.
    Rosamund Pike is excellent, as is Dianne Wiest in the scenes she is in, such an underrated actress.
    the Rosamund Pike character is literally vile.....rare I have hated someone quite as much as this in a film..how the hell did she survive the part with the car in water...ridiculous, the girlfriend also left alive..nah after the break in etc. In fairness between this and gone girl she does psychopaths well. Stupid twist after stupid twist.
    Glad she finally got some comeuppance! The twist before with then going into business...huh?!
    Not sure I could recommend it, tonally absolutely all over the shop, really stretches credulity the more it goes on... loopy.

I would maybe give it 5/10...and that's pretty generous

We watched it as well and while I think 5/10 is a bit harsh I see where you’re coming from.
    it’s a great film up until the last half hour and then it just turns in to a **** show. Did they think people would want Pikes character to succeed? Dinklage’s casting makes zero sense as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's definitely a film that gets carried by Pike - she does a great line in anti-hero roles. The plot doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny but it's an enjoyable waste of ninety minutes.

I watched The Map of Tiny, Perfect Things straight after and it made for a great double bill. A time loop movie that gently pokes fun at the unoriginality of its concept but has good performances from its leads to carry it along. It's very easy to see where the film is going from early on but it still does a good job of it. A sweet movie that's worth a watch.

I watched The Map of Tiny, Perfect Things straight after and it made for a great double bill. A time loop movie that gently pokes fun at the unoriginality of its concept but has good performances from its leads to carry it along. It's very easy to see where the film is going from early on but it still does a good job of it. A sweet movie that's worth a watch.

Yeah, i figured out quite early on what her deal was, but I liked how they played it out, the change of focus, and how the reveal changed his outlook on how to spend his time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I had planned to watch this but the negative reaction in the last posts has put me off.

Rosamund Pike is an interesting actress. Those piercing eyes make her a great crazy lady. But I saw here is a more run of the mill role recently - in Beirut. And she was as wooden as hell.
    Wouldn't say it to her face though from seeing her in Gone Girl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rosamund Pike is an interesting actress. Those piercing eyes make her a great crazy lady. gorgeous lady

corrected that for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

Bad Boys
    Becks
    The Book of Love (Sudeikis/M.Williams)
    Brian's Song (J.Caan)
    The Captive
    False Witness
    Gnomeo & Juliet
    Guys and Dolls
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Homefront (Statham/J.Franco)
    I Care A Lot (R.Pike/Dinklage)(Amazon Original)(2020)
    I Love Your Work (Ribisi/Ricci)
    The Island
    Jurassic Park
    Jurassic Park III
    Life (J.Gyllenhaal)
    Limitless
    Little Women (W.Ryder/Dunst)
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Paul (Rogen/Pegg)
    Scorched
    Sneakers
    Steel City
    Supremacy
    Terminator Salvation

The Boarding School: Las Cumbres (Original Title: El Internado: Las Cumbres)(Amazon Original)(2021)

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)
    Bombshell (Theron/Kidman) - 27/2
    Bend it Like Becham - 1/3
    Gladiator - 2/3
    Midsommar - 3/2
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 5/3
    The Witches of Eastwick - 5/3

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)
    Bombshell (Theron/Kidman) - 27/2
    Bend it Like Becham - 1/3
    Gladiator - 2/3
    Midsommar - 3/2
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - 5/3
    The Witches of Eastwick - 5/3

I've been meaning to watch Bombshell and Midsommar, thanks for the warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sneakers is an oldie but a goodie, can't think of any reason why anybody would fail to enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not sure whether I should watch 1990s Little Women or not. There's no way it will trump how much I enjoyed Greta Gerwigs recent adaptation but it probably would be a nice companion piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sneakers is an oldie but a goodie, can't think of any reason why anybody would fail to enjoy it

I watched it over the weekend because I saw someone on Twitter recommend it. I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest, it wasn't bad, I think maybe my expectations were a bit too high. It felt like a PG M:I movie and almost as if it could have been a kids movie in at some stage in the writing process.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched Midsommar at the weekend, I wouldn't quite call it scary but it's definitely unsettling and the way everything is so bright and colourful in juxtaposition to what's happening works really well. Florence Pugh is great in it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I watched Midsommar at the weekend, I wouldn't quite call it scary but it's definitely unsettling and the way everything is so bright and colourful in juxtaposition to what's happening works really well. Florence Pugh is great in it.

Felt like a modern interpretation of The Wicker Man. Really liked it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah absolutely. If you are ever in the mood for another film along those lines you should give Kill List a look (not on prime or netflix at the mo though).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I liked it but I prefer Hereditary on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I watched it last week as I remember it fondly. It really hasn't aged well.

Advertisement