Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Filmage: The Story of the Descendents is on prime! Such a great documentary about a great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see greenland has been added.
    Its a pretty decent end of the world type film, not totally filled with massive action scenes.
    But a fun enough popcorn movie.
    Surprisingly Gerard Butler is pretty decent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

So "Sound of metal", the 2019 film was (part)produced by Amazon I think but doesn't appear to be on ROI prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Did Amazon not just buy distribution rights after it was screened at TIFF a few years ago? I believe they only bought US rights and someone else got UK rights and it was recently released in cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

modern love fairly good cast . Really enjoyed it. New York looks amazing in it. Something sunny to watch on these grey days.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Did Amazon not just buy distribution rights after it was screened at TIFF a few years ago? I believe they only bought US rights and someone else got UK rights and it was recently released in cinemas.

Must be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Bowlardo wrote: »
    modern love fairly good cast . Really enjoyed it. New York looks amazing in it. Something sunny to watch on these grey days.

Irish director for the majority of it too, surprised this does seem to be overlooked clearly has one or two stinker episodes but overall brilliant.

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

3 Days to Kill (K.Costner/H.Steinfeld)
    48 Hrs.
    The Accountant (B.Affleck/A.Kendrick)
    Another 48 Hrs.
    Assassin
    Beautiful Creatures
    Beer League
    Beverly Hills Cop II
    Beverly Hills Cop III
    The Beyond (Original Title: ...E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilà)
    Bliss (O.Wilson/Hayek)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Captain Fantastic (Mortensen)
    Catch and Release
    City of Ember
    Crank: High Voltage
    Coming to America
    Conan the Barbarian (Momoa)
    Conscience Point (Documentary) (2019)
    Cum On Feel The Noize (Documentary)(2017)
    Dead Snow (Original Title: Død snø)
    Dead Snow 2: Red Vs Dead
    Disconnect (Bateman)
    Dreamgirls
    Ender's Game
    Ex Machina
    Filmage: The Story of Descendents/All
    Forrest Gump
    God Has A Rap Sheet
    Greenland (2020)
    The Host
    The House on Sorority Row
    The Inglorious Bastards (Original Title: Quel maledetto treno blindato)
    An Interview with God
    I Think We're Alone Now
    The Life of David Gale
    I Love You Phillip Morris
    Last Chance Harvey
    Lay the Favourite
    Limitless (B.Cooper/De Niro)
    Love in Paradise (L.Perry)
    Love Happens
    Magic Mike
    Miss You Already
    A Monster Calls
    North of the Rio Grande
    Outbreak
    Parker
    Passengers (J.Laurence/C.Pratt)
    The Poison Rose (Travolta/Freeman)(2019)
    Pompeii
    Prime (U.Thurman)
    P.S. I Love You
    Puzzle (K.McDonald)
    Quartet
    Remember Me
    Robot & Frank (F.Langella)
    Salem Witch Trials
    Sex and the City
    Snatch
    Something New
    Sully (Hanks)
    The Stanford Prison Experiment
    Tracers
    Troy (B.Pitt)
    Vodka Diaries

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)

Body of Lies - 14/2
    Black Mass - 15/2
    Cloud Atlas - 15/2
    The Constant Gardener - 15/2
    The Meg - 16/2
    Sweeny Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - 16/2
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 17/2
    J. Edgar - 17/2

Downton Abbey - 13/2
    Bates Motel - 19/2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Disconnect is pretty good. Had never heard of it before watching, a very emotional film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Robot and Frank is a really good little sci fi comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Robot and Frank is a really good little sci fi comedy.
    I'd mark it down more as a drama, but it is a lovely bitter/sweet story that everyone should see. The sci-fi element is minimal, but despite that. like all good sci-fi, it does a great job in examining the human condition, Frank Langella is a joy in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Can highly recommend Icelandic drama "Trapped". Was originally on BBC 4 - but an excellent series with 2 parts, 10 episodes each, but stand alone stories.

Can highly recommend Icelandic drama "Trapped". Was originally on BBC 4 - but an excellent series with 2 parts, 10 episodes each, but stand alone stories.

Indeed,great watch as far as I'm concerned too. First season dealing with a ship that is instructed to stay at port as it could have suspects in a recent discovery on board and the second season a man lights himself on fire in an attack on a political figurehead.

Watched "The Rental" the other night. As a big horror fan the 10's were a pretty gold standard period for horror movies, this is a throwback to the type of stuff that was 10 a penny in the late 90s/early 00's off the back of Scream and the like.

This though is also one of those vaguely horror but does enough to land the tag. A half-baked drama for the most part with characters you couldn't care less for something you might think would be almost impossible to get wrong with Dan Stevens and Alison Brie amongst the cast to begin with, but alas no. Pretty dire directorial debut from Brie's husband Dave Franco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched "The Rental" the other night. As a big horror fan the 10's were a pretty gold standard period for horror movies, this is a throwback to the type of stuff that was 10 a penny in the late 90s/early 00's off the back of Scream and the like.

This though is also one of those vaguely horror but does enough to land the tag. A half-baked drama for the most part with characters you couldn't care less for something you might think would be almost impossible to get wrong with Dan Stevens and Alison Brie amongst the cast to begin with, but alas no. Pretty dire directorial debut from Brie's husband Dave Franco.

One of the most unsatisfying movies I've seen in a while. It came to absolutely nothing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Soulmates is really good if anyone hasn't watched it (well first episode).

Brief blurb below

In the very near future, a test is developed that incontrovertibly lets a person know who their soulmate is. The new science is clear, and no matter a person's current relationship status, whether they are single, dating or even married, this test will unmistakably point a person in the direction of their actual, scientifically determined soulmate

Praise be the TV series with many seasons during this Pandemic.

Rewatching The Shield 15 years later, had been saving it for a rainy day. Such a fantastic show. Kurt Sutter is a brilliant writer, no surprise he has had so much success.
    First 3 seasons are outstanding, strangely with Glenn Close coming in for Season 4, being such a strong actress it took a serious dip, but Sutter seemed to disappear from the writing credits so no surprise. But Forrest Whitaker comes in for Season 5 and steals the show in his IAD role. Might well be his career best, as the show is for most of its tenured actors.

The style of shooting on this show really adds to its intensity, just like 24 it delivers a feeling that the actors are being watched by someone sinister. Very clever way to shoot.
    One of the greatest.

Praise be the TV series with many seasons during this Pandemic.

Rewatching The Shield 15 years later, had been saving it for a rainy day. Such a fantastic show. Kurt Sutter is a brilliant writer, no surprise he has had so much success.
    First 3 seasons are outstanding, strangely with Glenn Close coming in for Season 4, being such a strong actress it took a serious dip, but Sutter seemed to disappear from the writing credits so no surprise. But Forrest Whitaker comes in for Season 5 and steals the show in his IAD role. Might well be his career best, as the show is for most of its tenured actors.

The style of shooting on this show really adds to its intensity, just like 24 it delivers a feeling that the actors are being watched by someone sinister. Very clever way to shoot.
    One of the greatest.

100% agree.

I’d started the shield a few years ago and then stopped after season 4. I picked it up again when it landed on prime and finished it recently. It’s got the best final season and best ending of all the prestige shows IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Another vote for Saint Maud. Great little movie. actually got shivers down my spine in one scene

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Another vote for Saint Maud. Great little movie. actually got shivers down my spine in one scene

On Amazon? I couldn't find it.

• Advertisement

On Amazon? I couldn't find it.

It's there for me. Only thing I can think of is that I'm in the UK (which I thought was the same offering as Ireland?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's available for me to rent or buy on Amazon in the UK but that's it.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's available for me to rent or buy on Amazon in the UK but that's it.

yep, same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Two excellent movies on Amazon:

Disconnect

Greenland

I have incredibly high standards and very little impresses but both of these were entertaining. The second one I was not particularly hopeful for as Gerard Butler is in a lead role but it turned out to be a good watch

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kermode gave Greenland a decent review so I am looking forward to watching it over the weekend. Been fairly starved for blockbuster cinema the past year so even a half decent one is welcome at this point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Greenland is an interesting mix of being a surprisingly grounded bit of survival cinema, and an absolutely ludicrous bit of disaster cinema. It’s oddly compelling. Certainly a cut above your Armageddons, if not quite at the point of being an unambiguously good film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Yeah I'll give anther vote for greenland, pretty good alright, enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

donfers wrote: »
    Two excellent movies on Amazon:

Disconnect

Greenland

"I have incredibly high standards"

I actually don't understand what that means? What's the base line? In comparison to who or what? Isn't taste subjective and not objective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Greenland - definitely NOT excellent. A poor man's Armageddon, and that's saying something! Nevertheless, fine for a Friday night with a few glasses of vino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

donfers wrote: »
    Greenland

I have incredibly high standards

You really don't I'm afraid.

Advertisement