Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

donfers wrote: »
    The terror is a fantastic series, both seasons available

My only complaint is that the very first scene of the first episode basically removes some of the suspense, i hate when shows/movies employ this technique

still, a great show.

I watched season 1 last week, thought it was great.

They were real ships so the first scene doesn't really give anything away imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Bosch Spin off confirmed.

Titus welliver back, will focus on him and Money Chandler.

So I can only presume he leaves the police at the end of the last season in that case.
    A good show up until season five but Chandler and Maddie were the weakest written characters so making them central to this proposed spin-off does not augur well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I care a lot

brilliant , black as the ace of spades , rosamund pike plays what you can only call a thundercunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We asked our friend from India for recommendations for movies from his home country, and he recommended 3 Idiots (2009). It was a brilliant movie. A tonne of laughs, some music/dance scenes and a rollercoaster of a story. We follow 3 friends as they start out in university and come to grips with the pressure of the Indian education system. Super enjoyable watch, something very different (imo) from movies from the West. 2hr 40mins is a long run time, so do what they do in India and take a 10 min intermission halfway through.

Content advisory / trigger warning:
    Suicide is dealt with in at least 3 separate instances in this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ravn

Watched Blade Runner 2049 again recently and enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Bit slow moving in places but builds well on the original and is highly underrated imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I enjoyed dumb and dumber to, I was expecting it to be awful but was pleasantly surprised. I won't be watching coming to America.

The original coming to America was and still is funny
    Coming2America I've only seen 30 mins of so far
    I'll finish it because its free and deliver the verdict then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

36 Husbands
    A Crooked Somebody
    Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip
    Argo
    Bug Buster
    Colonel March Investigates (B.Karloff)
    Colonia (E.Watson/Bruhl)
    Coming 2 America (2021)(Amazon Original)
    The Crumbles
    Edge of Tomorrow (Cruise/Blunt)
    Flight (D.Washington)
    Flushed Away
    Freaky Deaky
    Hall Pass
    Hands over the City (Original Title: Le mani sulla città)
    Innocents (Original Title: Dark Summer)
    The Interview
    Into the Wild
    The Italian Job (Caine)
    Jack the Giant Slayer
    Jeff Beck : Live in Tokyo
    Lemony Snicket's - A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The Lincoln Lawyer (McConaughey)
    Lover's Prayer (Original Title: All Forgotten)
    The Mule (Eastwood/B.Cooper)
    No Contest
    Onegin (R.Fiennes/L.Tyler/L.Heady)
    Papillon (Mcqueen/Hoffman)
    Rules of Engagement
    The Runner
    Shutter Island
    To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (Snipes/Swayze)
    Unforgiven (Eastwood/Hackman/Freeman/E.Harris)
    Vanilla Sky
    You've Got Mail

Downton Abbey (Seemingly renewed despite earlier leave notices)
    The Great Train Robbery (Mini-series)(2013)
    Republic of Doyle (Season 1-6)
    Secret State (G.Byrne)(Mini-series)(2012)
    Stumptown (Season 1)(2019)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Wedding Crashers - 14/3
    Crazy Rich Asians - 21/3
    The Town - 21/3
    Licence to Wed - 22/3

Two films from the weekend.

Argo (2012) was a super thrilling, suspense filled movie. Starting & directed by Ben Affleck, we follow the story of a mission to rescue 6 American diplomats during the Iranian hostage crisis of the late 70s early 80s. I was hooked throughout. Reading up afterwards, there were some significant deviations from reality (really significant) but it's a really good film.

Second up was Life (2017) starring my favourite actor, Jake Gyllenhaal. Here we join the crew of the ISS as they take samples from Mars and begin low scale experiments on an organism. The trailer gives it away, but things do not go well. I'm not hugely into horror (which this is classed as) but this was class. I was sucked in, in a big way. Totally tensed all the way throughout. Cast was good, but not great. I don't know, not memorable characters. I read the critics' comments after and the most common theme is that it's just another go at Alien, which I have never seen so that's probably why I think it's great, but others suggest it's only okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I love Argo and the historical inaccuracies are best ignored. It's for entertainment.

How you never saw it before is beyond me though.

I love Argo and the historical inaccuracies are best ignored. It's for entertainment.

How you never saw it before is beyond me though.

I would be more annoyed if I were Canadian / British / NZ as it seems their roles were totally diminished in the film.

Ha! If I keep posting in these threads, you'll have a shock at the amount of movies I've never seen. I would seldom watch films pre-COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Really enjoyed Widows. Drama/thriller with a few twists and turns that I didn’t see coming. Neeson and Farrell are used very well and sparingly. The gals steal the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m in the mood for a movie like Se7en, Silence of the Lambs or The Bone Collector. Not necessarily serial killers - a clever murder mystery would be good.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I’m in the mood for a movie like Se7en, Silence of the Lambs or The Bone Collector. Not necessarily serial killers - a clever murder mystery would be good.

Any recommendations?

Looking at what's available State Of Play with Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck might fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Any recommendations?

The Clovehitch Killer is decent enough and it's based on a real serial killer too.

It came up on the Netflix thread, but it's on Amazon Prime - Trapped is an Icelandic TV crime drama. Set in a remote village in Iceland, fisherman find a dead boy in the bay at the same time that a ferry arrive. And so ensues a police investigation that involves many twists, turns and complications. A thrilling watch, we had us guessing until the last episode.

Season 2 is also on Prime, but I've yet to watch it. From the trailer, it seems to depart from the small town drama of this one and because much more complicated.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Season 2 is also on Prime, but I've yet to watch it. From the trailer, it seems to depart from the small town drama of this one and because much more complicated.

Great show, season 2 equally as good imo. Although starts out in the capital where the initial premise is a man who sets himself ablaze in an attack on his politician sister it soon deviates back to familiarity, not complicated ;)

Great show, season 2 equally as good imo. Although starts out in the capital where the initial premise is a man who sets himself ablaze in an attack on his politician sister it soon deviates back to familiarity, not complicated ;)

Good to know! We're planning to take a break from it, rather than rushing into S2 and overdosing on Icelandic crime drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The Clovehitch Killer is decent enough and it's based on a real serial killer too.

Very underrated, similar to sotl and not too far off its level

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

Acts of Violence (Willis)
    An Interview with God
    Aquaman
    At First Light
    Babe: Pig in the City
    Brampton's Own
    The Bucket List
    The Campaign
    Collateral (Cruise/Foxx)
    Corporate
    First Kill (Willis)
    The Guilt Trip
    Hotel Transylvania 2
    Interstate 60
    Jackass 3D
    Life in a Year (J.Smith/C.Delevigne)(2020)
    Little Miss Sunshine (Kinnear/Collette/Carell)
    The Loft (K.Urban/Marsden)
    The Lucky One
    Man Down
    The Millionaire Tour
    Murder by Numbers (Bullock/Gosling)
    The Pier
    Rupture
    Saving Private Ryan (Hanks/Damon/Sizemore)
    The Second Time Around
    Sisters of War
    Shooter
    Sleepy Hollow
    Tropic Thunder
    Trouble is my Businees
    The Trust (Cage/E.Wood)
    Vows of Deception

Making Their Mark (Season 1)(Amazon Original)(2021) - AFL doc series

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Leave No Trace - 27/3
    War Dogs 27/3
    Rocky 1-5,Rocky Balboa - 28/3
    Seven - 29/3
    Passengers (J.Laurence/C.Pratt) - 30/3

The Americans (Season 1-6) - 31/3
    Damages (Season 1-5) - 31/3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

den87 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Widows. Drama/thriller with a few twists and turns that I didn’t see coming. Neeson and Farrell are used very well and sparingly. The gals steal the show.

Couldn’t watch this, not available in my region. How’d you watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Couldn’t watch this, not available in my region. How’d you watch it?

On Prime, was available last weekend unless it got changed.

den87 wrote: »
    On Prime, was available last weekend unless it got changed.

I just checked there - it's showing on my phone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Flight of the Navigator and Short Circuit were both added today, if anyone is looking for a bit of nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Flight of the Navigator and Short Circuit were both added today, if anyone is looking for a bit of nostalgia.

Are these the type of movies that get ruined by a rewatch at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

redmgar wrote: »
    Are these the type of movies that get ruined by a rewatch at this stage?

I'd image so. I wonder will they ever put up Short Circuit 2 where the main supporting Indian character was played by a white guy in brown face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd image so. I wonder will they ever put up Short Circuit 2 where the main supporting Indian character was played by a white guy in brown face.

IIRC he was in the first as well, albeit as a supporting character. Been a while but yeah, his "oh goodness gracious" schtick can't have aged. the first film came in the era of Judge Reinhold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

pixelburp wrote: »
    IIRC he was in the first as well, albeit as a supporting character. Been a while but yeah, his "oh goodness gracious" schtick can't have aged. the first film came in the era of Judge Reinhold :D

Jesus, you're right. I thought he was only in the second one. I'm going to have to watch it now out of morbid curiosity.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a great bit about that whole debacle in an episode of Master of None.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Flight of the Navigator, Jesus, that’s going back. I remember when the mirror ship morphed into ‘sport mode’. Might just watch it for that part alone. Epic :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be genuinely curious to watch both, but I'd also be wary at just how badly they had aged - dodgy ethnic stereotyping notwithstanding.

Especially Short Circuit: 10-year-old me would have found the robot hilarious; 40 years old me ... eh. I suspect I'd throw the remote control through the telly in about 5 minutes :D

Advertisement