Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Something I stated last weekend was the marvellous mrs Maisel. I’d heard good things about it and then heard an interview from Rachel brosnahan herself about the show. I’ve finished season one and it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Something I stated last weekend was the marvellous mrs Maisel. I’d heard good things about it and then heard an interview from Rachel brosnahan herself about the show. I’ve finished season one and it was good.
    I started season 3 recently. The show needs a little getting used to, and gets better as it goes along, so where there were lots of annoying things in it character-wise, as well as the 'humour' of the time there, by season 2 I found them less grating. Some very funny scenes in there. Rachel Brosnahan is great in it. Season 2 was hilarious, with a dip in quality so far in season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’ve finished season one and it was good.
    Season 2 is just as good if not better, Season 3 isn't up to the quite high standard set imo but still good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Season 2 is just as good if not better, Season 3 isn't up to the quite high standard set imo but still good all the same.

The dips in quality are easier to take because the whole thing looks so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Finally watched The Vast of Night, such a great atmospheric movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Gave Greenland a go as a Saturday night popcorn movie. Absolutely fit this bill, typical disaster movie with ludicrous scenarios and acting but some moments of realism. Solid 6/10, just grab the popcorn and a bottle of wine and ignore the plot holes (like any similar movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Watched Greenland last night and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a decent movie all in all. I liked the way they allowed GB to retain his natural accent and not have to fake an American one. Its worth a punt, you could do a lot worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Greenland was surprisingly entertaining and well put together, if not especially good as such. I think it speaks to the general quality of blockbuster cinema that a film who remembers basic act structure, character and motivation flatters so much. It was also surprisingly lacking in cynicism; I found myself thinking of the film 2012, which seemed to revel in making the world and people burn - Greenland kept its eyes on the human beings that suffered in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Lots of talk about Greenland but Disconnect is the movie that deserves watching. This film is from few years ago so not just jumping on the social media is bad bandwagon now. It’s very sad in parts but really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

The Looming Tower is well worth a watch also. Jeff Daniels is a great actor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Wasn't in the mood for anything heavy so I watched "The Map of Tiny Perfect Things" today.

It's basically a teen time loop thingy. Mark has been living the same day over and over and the novelty is wearing off until one day he meets Margaret, who has also been living the same day over and over. They start spending time together and the inevitable happens but it's a really sweet little film, with a nice message, and really strong leads, and although I figured out the "twist" pretty early on it was still enjoyable watching it play out.

If you're any way cynical it's not going to be for you, but if you're looking for a fun, sweet and not at all taxing way to spend 99 minutes of your day, maybe this is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wasn't in the mood for anything heavy so I watched "The Map of Tiny Perfect Things" today.

It's basically a teen time loop thingy. Mark has been living the same day over and over and the novelty is wearing off until one day he meets Margaret, who has also been living the same day over and over. They start spending time together and the inevitable happens but it's a really sweet little film, with a nice message, and really strong leads, and although I figured out the "twist" pretty early on it was still enjoyable watching it play out.

If you're any way cynical it's not going to be for you, but if you're looking for a fun, sweet and not at all taxing way to spend 99 minutes of your day, maybe this is for you.
    Sounds a bit like palm springs (which is excellent) must check that out.
    It has the girl from Freaky in it by the looks of it!

gmisk wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like palm springs (which is excellent) must check that out.
    It has the girl from Freaky in it by the looks of it!

Yes, it's Kathryn Newton, she was in Big Little Lies too and a few episodes of Halt and Catch Fire, which this thread loved a while ago :D

I haven't seen Palm Springs but every single review for this film on Letterboxd makes a Palm Springs reference, so, I guess that's the go to time loop film these days. (Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow get shout outs in the film though)

Yes, it's Kathryn Newton, she was in Big Little Lies too and a few episodes of Halt and Catch Fire, which this thread loved a while ago :D

I haven't seen Palm Springs but every single review for this film on Letterboxd makes a Palm Springs reference, so, I guess that's the go to time loop film these days. (Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow get shout outs in the film though)

Ahem, the cool people will remember her from Supernatural. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In other Palm Springs news, it will arrive on Amazon Prime UK on April 9. Was hoping it would be a little earlier than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

S.M.B. wrote: »
    In other Palm Springs news, it will arrive on Amazon Prime UK on April 9. Was hoping it would be a little earlier than that.

Any word on prime Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Just watched the recently released movie "Bliss" with Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek. A twisted and silly story that is totally forgettable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any word on prime Ireland?
    Same date. Amazon bought up worldwide rights to the film (bar the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ahem, the cool people will remember her from Supernatural. :D
    And the deeply uncool people remember her from the society lol (shame it was cancelled after being initially renewed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Just started watching Bates motel recently. It's a contemporary prequel to Psycho. Loving it so far, unfortunately it's leaving Prime (for BBC I think) later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

The quality of movies on Prime is definitely on an upward swing.

Noticed Bladerunner 2049 seems to have landed recently.

gmisk wrote: »
    And the deeply uncool people remember her from the society lol (shame it was cancelled after being initially renewed)

I think one of the guys from Teenage Bounty Hunters was in that show too. Rough couple of months for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dubstepper wrote: »
    The quality of movies on Prime is definitely on an upward swing.

Noticed Bladerunner 2049 seems to have landed recently.

It's been there for ages. I tested my new TV with it in August. Typical Prime problem though, you only find some of the best stuff by accidentally stumbling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's been there for ages. I tested my new TV with it in August. Typical Prime problem though, you only find some of the best stuff by accidentally stumbling on it.
    I believe it was actually the even more typical problem of it being there, getting removed for a few months and now it's been added back in again. The roller-coaster world of streaming rights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »

Ha, I had literally only got around to starting that. Guess that might be related lol; if it wrapped its story up I may still watch it anyway

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha, I had literally only got around to starting that. Guess that might be related lol; if it wrapped its story up I may still watch it anyway

It wraps up the arch of season 1 well enough but it definitely leaves it open for more. Disappointed it's been cancelled, found it a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

Bastille ReOrchestrated (2021)
    Billy Madison
    Dead Man Down
    Elizabeth Harvest
    The Flintstones
    Glass Jaw
    The Good Neighbour (Original Title: Unter Nachbarn)
    Jackie & Ryan
    Kick Ass 2
    I Still Believe
    Let Him Have It (Eccleston)
    Little Italy
    Love After Love
    The Map of Tiny Perfect Things (Amazon Original)(2021)
    Moondance Alexander
    Not Since You
    The Occupants
    Operation Chromite (Neeson)
    Submission (Tucci)
    What A Girl Wants

Criminal Minds (Season 15)(2020)
    Empire (Season 6)
    Soulmates (Season 1)(2020)

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)

Revolver - 22/2
    Demolition Man - 27/2
    Frances Ha - 28/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Extortion is a fantastic movie, full of twists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Patriot and bosch

I just finished Patriot. Best series I’ve seen in years. Wonderful acting, brilliant script and the cinematography is unbelievable.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement