Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I have a Just Watch account but mainly use letterboxd which uses Just Watch data.

Having a look at the Just Watch app now and I can't find where you see what service a movie is going to be on at a future date which is more what I was enquiring about. Or am I missing something obvious?

I don't think there is a service that will tell you that. The individual services sometimes release details of what's coming in the next month, like Netflix do. Or Amazon usually just promote their own stuff. You kind of just have to dig around yourself for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I have a Just Watch account but mainly use letterboxd which uses Just Watch data.

Having a look at the Just Watch app now and I can't find where you see what service a movie is going to be on at a future date which is more what I was enquiring about. Or am I missing something obvious?

Sorry I misunderstood your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's a pretty minor issue but one that does annoy me. I often rush to watch a movie that's leaving a platform to then see it pop up in another a week later. I was hoping there may be some service that highlights that I was unaware of but as Elmo has said, it appears to require a bit of digging around by oneself.

Seeing the news of Dogville leaving means I may have to find 3 hours to sit down and watch it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Seeing the news of Dogville leaving means I may have to find 3 hours to sit down and watch it soon.

Same it's been on my watchlist for months haven't seen it since it came out.

As an aside it's happened a number of occasions that a title gets removed only for it to return to Prime in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Star Trek Lower decks

This is absolutely brilliant. Its proper Trek, it has the look and the feel of TNG and DS9. Funny but still respectful. Guaranteed to lift your spirits in these current times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

santana75 wrote: »
    Star Trek Lower decks

This is absolutely brilliant. Its proper Trek, it has the look and the feel of TNG and DS9. Funny but still respectful. Guaranteed to lift your spirits in these current times.

I wholeheartedly agree, although I found the first few episodes frenetic it settles down and shines for the latter half of the season IMO. Give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Would ye guys still recommend it to non trekkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Klonker wrote: »
    Would ye guys still recommend it to non trekkies?

Absolutely I'm not a die hard star trek fan myself. I do like TNG and DS9 but I wouldn't be someone who knows the finer details of characters or episodes. Lower decks is a lot of fun, I think anyone could watch it and enjoy it even if you didnt know much about the other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Absolutely I'm not a die hard star trek fan myself. I do like TNG and DS9 but I wouldn't be someone who knows the finer details of characters or episodes. Lower decks is a lot of fun, I think anyone could watch it and enjoy it even if you didnt know much about the other shows.

is it animated?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Say for instance Dogville is leaving on the 30/01 (Sat), any idea what time it goes?

So would I have the whole day Sat to watch it. Sat is now movie night and that one looks good but won't get to sit down and watch it until after 8pm so be annoying if was gone before that!

• Advertisement

The last time I kept an eye on titles leaving I believe they were available on the date specified but I'm not 100%.

I've also no idea what time they get removed at either. Imagine sitting down at 9.00pm to watch Dogville pausing it half way through for a toilet break and then at midnight the stream stops and you miss the final ~20 minutes.

The last time I kept an eye on titles leaving I believe they were available on the date specified but I'm not 100%

I think that's right yeah, should be available till midnight where it then becomes the 31st. The expiry time ends up showing as hours closer to the time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Star Trek Lower decks

Just for info in case anyone goes looking for this, this series is animated. So if you are like me and enjoy acting performances by actual humans, it may not be for you. This trend is getting tiresome now, just like electronic music!!

By the way, Sneaky Pete and Goliath are both worth a watch (no drawings included, except for a Vemeer or 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Watched Knives Out and Parasite the past week. 2 excellent films.

Watched Knives Out and Parasite the past week. 2 excellent films.

Agree with Parasite, really enjoyable watch. Not so much with Knives Out, which had a great cast but a bloody awful script, plot, smart-alecky humour and not an ounce of depth.. just vacuous nonsense really. For a comedy it didn't have one belly laugh moment, save the "eat sh1t" scene which again was more smart-alecky than genuinely humourous. Such a waste of a great cast.

garra wrote: »
    Agree with Parasite, really enjoyable watch. Not so much with Knives Out, which had a great cast but a bloody awful script, plot, smart-alecky humour and not an ounce of depth.. just vacuous nonsense really. For a comedy it didn't have one belly laugh moment, save the "eat sh1t" scene which again was more smart-alecky than genuinely humourous. Such a waste of a great cast.

I thought Knives Out was hilarious and far from vacuous. It was a pretty biting social commentary on racism and classicism in America.

I thought Knives Out was hilarious and far from vacuous. It was a pretty biting social commentary on racism and classicism in America.

Seems to be still up there, I thought it was well worth the watch too!

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

Apparition
    A Rainy Day in New York (Chamelet/E.Fanning)(2019)
    Bandit Queen
    Bicentennial Man
    Blade Runner 2049 (Gosling)
    The Bone Collector
    Brides Maids
    Charlie's Angels
    Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
    Comet
    Constantine
    Dark Shadows
    Despicable Me 2
    The Football Factory
    Gangs of New York (Di Caprio/Day-Lewis/C.Diaz)
    Girl, Interrupted
    Gran Torino
    Grimsby
    Groundhog Day
    Identity
    Insidious: Chapter 3
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Kong: Skull Island
    The Legend of Zorro
    Legion (Bettany)
    The Lego Batman Movie
    The Long Walk Home (Spacek/W.Goldberg)
    Little Nicky
    Machete
    Man of the House
    The Mask of Zorro
    Monsters (McNairy)
    Mozart and the Whale
    Pacific Rim
    Practical Magic
    Psycho (1960 original)
    Quartet
    Queens Logic (Bacon/J.L.Curtis)
    The Rental (D.Stevens/A.Brie) (2020)
    The River Wild
    Secret Window (Depp)
    Street Fighter
    Superbad
    When the Storm Fades
    Wonder Woman (Gadot)

3 Caminos (Season 1) (2021)
    The Great Escapists (Season 1) (2021)
    Star Trek: Lower Decks (Season 1) (2020)

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)

The Hateful Eight - 4/2
    The Wedding Singer - 8/2
    Miss Congeniality - 9/2
    The Three Muskateers - 10/2

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

The Terror is excellent. Some great actors and writing. Absolutely recommended.

Also, from the above, it's worth catching The Hateful Eight again before it disappears. I watched it before Christmas and really enjoyed it, even though I had seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

dubstepper wrote: »

Also, from the above, it's worth catching The Hateful Eight again before it disappears. I watched it before Christmas and really enjoyed it, even though I had seen it before.

Love The Hateful Eight. I think it's my favourite Tarantino film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

dubstepper wrote: »
    It's been on RTE2 over recent weeks. I don't know if it'll repeat, but presumably possible. The book it's based on is by Dan Simmons, whose Hyperion is one of the great science fiction books of modern times.

The story is based on a true lost expedition, and the part about the dodgy tinned foods is true enough. Michael Palin wrote a book about it a couple of years ago, called Erebus (Erebus and Terror being the two ships).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The Dan Simmons book has some truly weird **** in it that the show improves upon immensely imho.

The show's absolutely superb though. Unforgettable. Visually, thematically, everything about it got its claws in me. I was especially impressed they managed to give every ep a distinctly different look in an ostensibly monchrome setting.

Makes a brilliant companion piece with Chernobyl, and not just because of the cast crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

Apparition A Rainy Day in New York (Chamelet/E.Fanning)(2019) Bandit Queen Bicentennial Man Blade Runner 2049 (Gosling) The Bone Collector Brides Maids Charlie's Angels Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle Comet Constantine Dark Shadows Despicable Me 2 The Football Factory Gangs of New York (Di Caprio/Day-Lewis/C.Diaz) Girl, Interrupted Gran Torino Grimsby Groundhog Day Identity Insidious: Chapter 3 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Kong: Skull Island The Legend of Zorro Legion (Bettany) The Lego Batman Movie The Long Walk Home (Spacek/W.Goldberg) Little Nicky Machete Man of the House The Mask of Zorro Monsters (McNairy) Mozart and the Whale Pacific Rim Practical Magic Psycho (1960 original) Quartet Queens Logic (Bacon/J.L.Curtis) The Rental (D.Stevens/A.Brie) (2020) The River Wild Secret Window (Depp) Street Fighter Superbad When the Storm Fades Wonder Woman (Gadot)

Kong skull island is not showing up in my feed

Fair enough I am probably in the minority on this one, perhaps it's biting social commentary about America is more palatable if you haven't already had a long life of hearing about these issues already (attitudes which have been around for donkeys years in the States... Boring!). It's still not funny though, I know that because it didn't make me laugh with joy.

Fair enough I am probably in the minority on this one, perhaps it's biting social commentary about America is more palatable if you haven't already had a long life of hearing about these issues already (attitudes which have been around for donkeys years in the States... Boring!). It's still not funny though, I know that because it didn't make me laugh with joy.

Each to their own, obviously, but I found a lot of it to be relevant to the Trump era specifically, rather than the US's long history of racism and classicism. Humour is a personal thing though, if you didn't find it funny, you didn't find it funny.

IrishHusk wrote: »
    Kong skull island is not showing up in my feed

A search shows its there for me anyway, not sure what you mean by feed if you mean recently added movies sure it probably won't appear there for 2 weeks or even in typical Amazon fashion! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

You weren't on your own. I couldn't see what the fuss was about at all. Stellar cast but not that good in my opinion.

A Monster Calls has been added today. Can't reccomend this highly enough. It's a sort of dark fantasy drama, I guess, about a young boy, Conor, whose mother is sick with cancer and while trying to navigate all the changes in his life he ends up calling a tree monster (Liam Neeson) to his bedroom window. The monster makes a deal with him saying he will tell him 3 stories and when the last one is finished Conor has to tell the monster a story in return.

It's an incredibly moving and beautiful story, and it looks amazing too. They used a mix of practical and digital effects to create the monster and it looks amazing on screen. (The book, with illustrations by Jim Kay, is worth seeking out too)

Also added - Ex Machina, Captain Fantastic, Forrest Gump, Passengers, The Stanford Prison Experiment, I Think We're Alone Now.

Nice, think A Monster Calls was there previously but I didn't get a chance to catch it. Saw a stage production of it here at the Old Vic in London and really liked it. I've heard good things about the film version so happy to see an additional recommendation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement