Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles, Phoenix Park and traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Peregrine wrote: »
    The legal option of obstructing cars wasn't even considered. I think that mentality is amazing.

It is pretty amazing that he didn't consider just abandoning his car on the road alright

Now that I think of it we can still do that on the main avenue down the Park, problem solved

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

a148pro wrote: »
    It is pretty amazing that he didn't consider just abandoning his car on the road alright

Now that I think of it we can still do that on the main avenue down the Park, problem solved

Nope, that would be opposite a continuous white line and therefore illegal.

Do you drive..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not necessarily telling you to park there, I'm just surprised the response wasn't "I don't want to obstruct cars even if it is legal". Consideration was only given to the possibility of illegally obstructing pedestrians, buses or people on bikes. The legal option of obstructing cars wasn't even considered. I think that mentality is amazing.

Anyway, carry on.

Carry on indeed because actually I gave consideration to all because I didn't see anywhere reasonable to park. I've never seen anyone park there. Even on busy days when there competitions in the rowing clubs, and clubs from all over the country they don't park there. They open up a field. So it never occurred to me just to block a lane and cause an obstruction.

Incidentally if people did park there they would have to cross the cycle lane and probably walk on it. Which is exact the same situation parking on Chesterfield Ave was causing and removing it was solving.

But you could solve that with banning parking on this road also. So easy solution.

Do you drive..?

No, I used to but I kept abandoning my cars in the middle of the road and forgetting where I'd left them, so I just gave it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

beauf wrote: »
    So it never occurred to me just to block a lane and cause an obstruction.

But it did...
    Which part you want people to park in. The Bus lane or the cycle lane? Pavement?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    But it did...

That's commonly referred to as retorical question.

Especially considering the context.
    Where? The majority of the R109 has no parking.

Besides which you all said it's perfectly fine to park in the single lane and such an obstruction causes no issues.

So we're all good. If they decide to close the park to all cars they can all park on this lane based on advice in this thread.

Perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how was the railway tunnel under the park built? cut and cover, or properly tunnelled?

magicbastarder you're interfering in our petty squabbles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not, i'm trying to undermine them. (badum tish)

• Advertisement

how was the railway tunnel under the park built? cut and cover, or properly tunnelled?

Must have been cut and cover no? I can't find anything.

i'm not, i'm trying to undermine them. (badum tish)

..or derail it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Nope, that would be opposite a continuous white line and therefore illegal.

Do you drive..?

I'm pretty sure you can park on one side of that road. Once the road has 3 lanes, you can park on the '2 lane' side if there's a continuous white line and no signage to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Incidentally if people did park there they would have to cross the cycle lane and probably walk on it. Which is exact the same situation parking on Chesterfield Ave was causing and removing it was solving.

They banned parking on Chesterfield Ave a few weeks ago to facilitate social distancing for walkers. They gave the cycle path over to walkers to enable them to have 2m and moved the cyclists onto the hard shoulder. It had nothing to do with facilitating cyclists.

KevRossi wrote: »
    They banned parking on Chesterfield Ave a few weeks ago to facilitate social distancing for walkers. They gave the cycle path over to walkers to enable them to have 2m and moved the cyclists onto the hard shoulder. It had nothing to do with facilitating cyclists.

True.

But I'm referring to the problem that existed for the last decade or so before Covid. Very frequently mentioned in these forums.

my question re tunnelling was just a random musing about whether the geology allows boring of a tunnel rather than a cut and cover, sure if we're going to have the boring machines in the city for the metro we could create another tunnel under the park for a discount while we're at it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

True.

But I'm referring to the problem that existed for the last decade or so before Covid. Very frequently mentioned in these forums.
    Which to anyone with sense would know was the parking on Chesterfield Ave!

Which to anyone with sense would know was the parking on Chesterfield Ave!

I no longer care. It's only every been an issue at peak before and during peak. When it's best avoided.

my question re tunnelling was just a random musing about whether the geology allows boring of a tunnel rather than a cut and cover, sure if we're going to have the boring machines in the city for the metro we could create another tunnel under the park for a discount while we're at it.

What would be the purpose of a new tunnel?

What problem would it solve.

it could carry traffic crossing the park, where that traffic is not destined for the park.
    a $50 solution to a $5 problem, i'll freely admit. the country has priorities far greater than creating a new tunnel under the park.

• Advertisement

Tunnels need massive space for the entrance and exit. We don't have it.

I think they had bizarre plans for a monorail and various "themed" sections of the park with a "retail experience" in one section.

You may feck off with all that. A few tweakings of the existing park would be great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have been on a train that went under the Phoenix Park I think. The odd Sligo train goes that way to get out to Maynooth on a very odd ocassion for some reason out of Connolly, instead of the regular Broombridge / Drumcondra way. I don't know why. It's only happened twice in 18 years of getting the Sligo train though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They sometimes run trains from the Heuston line to Connolly under there on match days. It's mostly used for freight afaik.

Edit: seems there might be more services using it now https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/passenger-trains-use-phoenix-park-tunnel-for-first-time-in-100-years-1.2875801

eeeee wrote: »
    I have been on a train that went under the Phoenix Park I think. The odd Sligo train goes that way to get out to Maynooth on a very odd ocassion for some reason out of Connolly, instead of the regular Broombridge / Drumcondra way. I don't know why. It's only happened twice in 18 years of getting the Sligo train though.
    Assuming it left Connolly then it wouldn't have been the Sligo train if it went under the tunnel and that would then lead onto the Cork & Limerick line near Heuston.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

a148pro wrote: »
    I think they had bizarre plans for a monorail and various "themed" sections of the park with a "retail experience" in one section.

You may feck off with all that. A few tweakings of the existing park would be great.

I hear those things are awfully loud

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Assuming it left Connolly then it wouldn't have been the Sligo train if it went under the tunnel and that would then lead onto the Cork & Limerick line near Heuston.

It sure was the sligo train! I was heading home both times, and I get thr sligo train home.
    It joined back onto the sligo line, I can't remember the name of the stations it joined back between.
    Unless it didn't go the tunnel? And there's another tunnel the trains can go in out of Connolly?

The Sligo train would be going out of its way to use the tunnel if it departed from Connolly so I'm not sure where it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Park_Tunnel

Is this the tunnel, you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

It sure was the sligo train! I was heading home both times, and I get thr sligo train home.
    It joined back onto the sligo line, I can't remember the name of the stations it joined back between.
    Unless it didn't go the tunnel? And there's another tunnel the trains can go in out of Connolly?

I doubt it went under the park, but Sligo trains have on occasion bypassed Drumcondra (in fact there was a whole week in recent years when the station was closed for works, as I recall) by joining the Docklands line where it passed adjacent to Connolly, and passing south of and indeed under Croke Park.

Both the tunnel line and the Docklands line actually meet the Sligo line at Glasnevin Junction, but not in such a way as to allow PPT services into Docklands, due to the tunnel fork being further east than that of the docklands line. You should be able to see it on Google maps here:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/zEGxXYfe3VhDRPWz7

EDIT to add: above map also shows that it's only possible to access the tunnel from Connolly (without lots of reverse running/shunting shenanigans) by going through Drumcondra, so I'd be fairly sure you took the route I outlined. Because of this I'm fairly sure that back in the pre Luas days the tunnel was used to allow All Ireland specials from Heuston lines to run to/from Drumcondra as well.

Advertisement