Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles, Phoenix Park and traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Hazelhatch to Grand Canal Dock services have been using the tunnel regularly for a few years now.

It was previously used for GAA specials and freight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eamonnator wrote: »

That's the one!
    The Sligo train takes it occasionally. I didn't notice the first time as I was reading away then it went dark and thought where the fcuk are we?! Followed by an 'oh shyte I'm on the wrong train' situation but remembered I wasn't and enjoyed the spin through the tunnel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭KevRossi

eeeee wrote: »
    That's the one!
    The Sligo train takes it occasionally. I didn't notice the first time as I was reading away then it went dark and thought where the fcuk are we?! Followed by an 'oh shyte I'm on the wrong train' situation but remembered I wasn't and enjoyed the spin through the tunnel!

No, it isn't! :)

If you were to go from Connolly through that tunnel, you end out on the Heuston lines, so could end out in Ballina, Wesport, Galway, Tralee, Cork or Waterford. Not in Sligo.

Cython was right in his/her post above. Trains from Connolly occasionally bypass Drumcondra by going along the canal. So they go along the Canal End (Davin Stand) of Croke Park, along the Whitworth road, and join up with the usual Sligo line, just behind the 6th lock in Phibsboro.

The last part of that involves going under some buildings, currently Des Kelly carpets at Gunns bridge, I think this, along with the deep cutting it passes through from Croke Park on, as well as a short tunnel at the end gives the impression of a longer tunnel.

This map shows the route from Croke Park to where the train lines meet. It's the route a pedestrian takes, but is directly alongside the track.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3656639,-6.2765065/53.3592259,-6.2500859/@53.3615897,-6.2691282,1872m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

KevRossi wrote: »

If you were to go from Connolly through that tunnel, you end out on the Heuston lines, so could end out in Ballina, Wesport, Galway, Tralee, Cork or Waterford. Not in Sligo.

Cython was right in his/her post above. Trains from Connolly occasionally bypass Drumcondra by going along the canal. So they go along the Canal End (Davin Stand) of Croke Park, along the Whitworth road, and join up with the usual Sligo line, just behind the 6th lock in Phibsboro.

The last part of that involves going under some buildings, currently Des Kelly carpets at Gunns bridge, I think this, along with the deep cutting it passes through from Croke Park on, as well as a short tunnel at the end gives the impression of a longer tunnel.

This map shows the route from Croke Park to where the train lines meet. It's the route a pedestrian takes, but is directly alongside the track.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.3656639,-6.2765065/53.3592259,-6.2500859/@53.3615897,-6.2691282,1872m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

I see.
    I have my tunnels and under- buildings mixed up!

KevRossi wrote: »

I see.
    I have my tunnels and under- buildings mixed up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Phoenix Park gates to stay shut to keep 'safe, quiet' spaces for pedestrians and cyclists
    Motorists set to face new restrictions in the coming months to ‘curb traffic volumes’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/phoenix-park-gates-to-stay-shut-to-keep-safe-quiet-spaces-for-pedestrians-and-cyclists-1.4289345?mode=amp
    well, that didn't last long.

https://twitter.com/opwireland/status/1281233127151751168

Ah ffs :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

strong whack'o jack chambers off this.
    proof that turds *do* float.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Jack Chambers and Leo Varadkar through Patrick O'Donovan.

A few FOI bodies will be busy for the next month, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Never under estimate the power of car dependency in Ireland. We really are a mini America. People driving around in their 20% full vehicles without a jot of care for the common good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Funny thing is, plenty of inner Dublin is pretty low on car ownership.
    The OPW said that once ongoing works are complete on Knockmaroon Gate it too will re-open. It has asked drivers “to be respectful to all pedestrians and cyclists” and said measures will remain under review.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/phoenix-park-gates-to-reopen-on-friday-morning-1.4300622?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well, that's a crock. That's never worked, ever.

Definitely somebody putting pressure on someone. Three days between "the park is a lung and recreational area" to "everyone drive back in!"
    https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/1281362568674717696

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Peregrine wrote: »
    Jack Chambers and Leo Varadkar through Patrick O'Donovan.

A few FOI bodies will be busy for the next month, at least.

I'd be surprised if Varadkar was involved. But Chambers, and the crew behind him pulling his strings, are almighty assholes.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Varadkar was involved. But Chambers, and the crew behind him pulling his strings, are almighty assholes.

He gets involved in his constituency stuff a lot. It would be difficult to prove though. He's wise to FOI tricks now.

Whereas Chambers and O'Donovan will leave a paper trail longer than Chesterfield Avenue.

Peregrine wrote: »

Whereas Chambers and O'Donovan will leave a paper trail longer than Chesterfield Avenue.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Interesting too to find out if DCC and Fingal were consulted on this as promised by OPW and, if so, what their views were. I presume An Gardaí supported reopening as they are so pro-car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Never under estimate the power of car dependency in Ireland. We really are a mini America. People driving around in their 20% full vehicles without a jot of care for the common good.

At least in America people actually know how to drive cars. In Ireland there is seemingly 0 understanding of yellow boxes, stop lines, red lights, no parking signs, double yellows, clearways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

cgcsb wrote: »
    At least in America people actually know how to drive cars. In Ireland there is seemingly 0 understanding of yellow boxes, stop lines, red lights, no parking signs, double yellows, clearways etc.

It's amazing but true - to date, there have been no traffic violations ever reported in the United States. Except once in 1937, but that was successfully appealed.

The US is a big place, but bad as I've found a lot of Ireland, I've never found any part of it that is as car-centric as Orange County when I lived there.

I frequently found myself in urban places that had no sidewalk, for example. The road outside my suburban residence had four lanes. Whenever I got directions to travel anywhere, the travel time was given in minutes, but they were always minutes driving, with no assumption I might not be driving. The bank was reluctant to accept my EU passport as proof of ID to open an account, and really wanted a California driver's licence.

Anyway, Ireland isn't as car-centric as Orange County.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

San Francisco is the only US city I've been to that appears to have similar cycling levels to Ireland. I've been in places like Las Vegas where they don't even have footpaths along a lot of roads. Colleagues visiting from LA are wont to express amazement that someone would ride a bicycle to work here.

• Advertisement

Interesting too to find out if DCC and Fingal were consulted on this as promised by OPW and, if so, what their views were. I presume An Gardaí supported reopening as they are so pro-car.

DCC was just notified. It was an OPW decision from above.

cgcsb wrote: »

The difference is in America road traffic laws are brutally (efficiently) enforced. I used to live by a 4 way stop sign, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a few days a week a police car parked nearby pulling in everyone that didn't come to a dead halt. Even if you slowed right down and rolled through you were pulled. He/she would park in the nearby Tower Records carpark, my second home, which is why I'd always see them.

a colleague of mine was questioned by police for having been out for a walk in a major US city (i was going to say san diego, but am only 30% sure of that)
    they were suspicious of his 'i just wanted to go for a walk' defence - with a 'why?' reaction.
    he was in the business district late in the and was the only person on foot that he saw on his walk.

a colleague of mine was questioned by police for having been out for a walk in a major US city (i was going to say san diego, but am only 30% sure of that)
    they were suspicious of his 'i just wanted to go for a walk' defence - with a 'why?' reaction.
    he was in the business district late in the and was the only person on foot that he saw on his walk.

This type of experience was the basis of Ray Bradbury's short story The Pedestrian ... published in 1951!

Patrick O'Donovan, the man responsible, on RTE 1 now. He actually mentions commuters from Longford and Westmeath, and he opened it to basically allow traffic use it. He's waffling something else, cannot be taking for his word, no timeline as to this new consultation process or anything. I guess that's that.

FF back a wet weekend and stroke politics is back.

it's my own fault for following them on twitter, but i'm finding it hard to stomach green party supporters who are using this as further evidence that they were fools to go into government.
    every step back is the GP's fault now.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Patrick O'Donovan, the man responsible, on RTE 1 now.
    was he at least given a hard time about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

it's my own fault for following them on twitter, but i'm finding it hard to stomach green party supporters who are using this as further evidence that they were fools to go into government.
    every step back is the GP's fault now.

I for one voted green in the hopes that they would go into government and actually push changes through as opposed to doing **** all on the opposition benches.

was he at least given a hard time about it?

It was no Paxman interview, but it wasn't too soft. He was pushed on the timeframe for this consultation process, and if there was actually one planned. Was asked if he had been lobbied by others to reverse this, and to explain the 180 of the OPWs stance in the matter of a couple of days, she even read to him their previous announcement about it being a green lung for Dublin and needs reduced traffic etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Politics is just peer pressure at the end of the day. No one has a problem with this, until they disagree with it.

Advertisement