Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

tricky D wrote: »
    Very busy with a big mix of .mil types over the North Sea off Norfolk with SAR for a lost US fighter.

F-15 crashed and pilot was killed unfortunately.

https://news.sky.com/story/us-f-15-fighter-jet-crashes-into-north-sea-off-yorkshire-coast-as-major-operation-underway-12007159

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Stobart ATR inbound from Stockholm.

Maintenance or charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

https://www.flightradar24.com/STK42D/24b7e4f6

Any idea why it's been holding for the last 40ish minutes? With one aborted landing it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

calnand wrote: »
    https://www.flightradar24.com/STK42D/24b7e4f6

Any idea why it's been holding for the last 40ish minutes? With one aborted landing it looks like.

Weather is poor at the airport. Mist and broken cloud at 200ft.

https://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/ireland.php?icao=EIDL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Blocked aircraft coming in to SNN now from Tel Aviv - El Al?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

donvito99 wrote: »
    Blocked aircraft coming in to DUB now from Tel Aviv - El Al?

N451KJ G4 from TLV-SNN

As per adsbexchange.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Tabnabs wrote: »

Interesting load on that aircraft recently if you search the reg in twitter

Thanks TABNABS, that’s a pretty cool way to view a G4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

CS-CBA also on descent into Shannon .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Few others in Shannon later

TC-ACM B744 @1525
    N351AX B763 @ 1640
    N8518U AT5T @1825
    N342AX B763 @1850
    OE-IBO B734 @ 2040

Long journey for this bird into Shannon
    https://www.flightradar24.com/N8518U/24b99a9c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

NoDrama wrote: »
    Long journey for this bird into Shannon
    https://www.flightradar24.com/N8518U/24b99a9c

Impressive range for its size, I'd have wagered a multi stop in Greenland and Iceland before routing through Scotland for a plane of its size.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/N8518U

I imagine that it’s a ferry flight (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

Tabnabs wrote: »

That's a very odd website - not a contact name or number or website to be seen! Although I guess it's one of those things where you have to know someone who knows someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

N8518U up out of shannon again this morning , was walking madra and heard is leave, so went looking

Google tells me it's an air tractor , an agricultural plane, that cant be right is it ?

Seriously impressive flight yesterday if that's the case,

Edit

St Johns

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

dashoonage wrote: »
    Google tells me it's an air tractor , an agricultural plane, that cant be right is it ?

They’re used as crop dusters but also small water bombers. There’s been a few through Shannon lately (I haven’t paid attention where they’re going) on temporary registrations, presumably being delivered to new owners somewhere.

Edit: I’m not sure about these smaller types, but I remember hearing that larger water bombers are often shared between two countries in opposite hemispheres, eg Canada & Australia. Climate change is threatening this model though, as the fire seasons are getting longer and starting to overlap north & south.

It's coming down into Malta now. A nice 8.5hr flight.

They have the ability to put additional fuel tanks in the hoppers, so they have massive range.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    They have the ability to put additional fuel tanks in the hoppers, so they have massive range.

Yup, ive gone down a rabbit hole tis A.M reading up on ferry flights etc :P

dashoonage wrote: »
    Yup, ive gone down a rabbit hole tis A.M reading up on ferry flights etc :P

Single engine over the Atlantic, no matter you’ve got the range, I think is still quite a mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Single engine over the Atlantic, no matter you’ve got the range, I think is still quite a mission.

Indeed. Plenty of people have lost their lives doing it over the years. They can't fly above any bad weather like pressurised aircraft can, and too much weaving between cells exhausts their fuel. Any kind of fuel leak, or fire, or engine failure etc and things get pretty grim. I remember a lad was running low on fuel years ago who tried to make it to one of the Aran Islands during the night, all the locals lit up the runway with their cars, he didn't make it sadly. There was another guy in recent years who was dashing for Shannon, telling the controllers to tell his family he loved them etc. Thanfully he made it down, and ran out of fuel on the taxiway. Very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

HTCOne wrote: »
    Indeed. Plenty of people have lost their lives doing it over the years. They can't fly above any bad weather like pressurised aircraft can, and too much weaving between cells exhausts their fuel. Any kind of fuel leak, or fire, or engine failure etc and things get pretty grim. I remember a lad was running low on fuel years ago who tried to make it to one of the Aran Islands during the night, all the locals lit up the runway with their cars, he didn't make it sadly. There was another guy in recent years who was dashing for Shannon, telling the controllers to tell his family he loved them etc. Thanfully he made it down, and ran out of fuel on the taxiway. Very lucky.

It's hardly correct to say that plenty of people have been lost. Yes, there have been some, but thousands have made it safely. From the 1960s to the 1980s and perhaps later, Shannon as a ferry flight stop-off saw large numbers of Pipers, Cessnas, Mooneys and such types as the Grumman AA-5, plus machines such as Beech T-34C Turbo-Mentor military trainers, all single-engined, and the success rate was very high. True, there were tragedies, but they were very rare, by my recollection.

ive been following the little N8518U for the past few days... down in Cairo now since this afternoon after spending yesterday afternoon in Malta.

Will check again tomorrow to see if its up again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It's hardly correct to say that plenty of people have been lost. Yes, there have been some, but thousands have made it safely. From the 1960s to the 1980s and perhaps later, Shannon as a ferry flight stop-off saw large numbers of Pipers, Cessnas, Mooneys and such types as the Grumman AA-5, plus machines such as Beech T-34C Turbo-Mentor military trainers, all single-engined, and the success rate was very high. True, there were tragedies, but they were very rare, by my recollection.

I think it all depends on our differing definitions of "plenty". If you include the Blue Spruce polar route via Wick, Iceland, Greenland etc (which has been in use since the 40s), the one via the Azores, and the lads to who just stuff as many fuel tanks into the aircraft as she'll fit and plow straight across, I can think of plenty of stories of people going down. Thankfully many are rescued. Modern immersion suits and rafts are a lot better nowadays. When I do get some lad pop up on radar at 10k and say hello to the first person he has probably spoken to in hours (some have HF fitted but I believe they're problematic on smaller craft) especially in the winter, I always think they must be a bit nuts.

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift.

These guys look like they are enjoying themselves.

517439.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

MF9....A beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

EI9022 PPE cargo flight from DUB-PEK appears to be holding or turning around over St. Petersburg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

She is coming back it appears, at FL400 so can't be that bad

Advertisement