Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

Well not only Shannon. You seem to have history of silly posts on this thread.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

*mod post*

[B]Let's all stop the childish bickering. An airline made a commercial decision based on ongoing capacity issues across Europe.

Most airlines operate as commercial entities and don't pander to social Media, local politicians and/or TV/Print/radio media.

Many of us here despair of business decisons that go against our personal opinion. But that doesn't mean that we are right and others are wrong.

You can debate with each other but insults aren't tolerated here. [B/]

*mod post*

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Anyone in the know might be able to answer. Why cant I book a code share flight to other US cities on EI Website from Shannon besides JFK and BOS after Oct 30th. Right now I can book SNN - JFK - LAX the latter with Jet Blue but cannot do this after 30th Oct. I can book it using Jet Blues website though.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭x567

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

It might have something to do with monopolies and competition on routes. When they get permission to fly routes they have to explain how they will sell and market them etc. So it's possible EI only applied for codeshare permission for those two routes. That and/or October 30th coinsides with change in schedule so possibly one carrier has an up to date schedule loaded and the other doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Oct 30 is schedule change date

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Traditionally EI are quite late to finalise their Winter schedule. (never made any sense to me) So maybe its related to those routes not being "confirmed"? (even though we know they wil operate daily up to 1st week of January '23)

The connecting flights from ORK via LHR/AMS arent on sale yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Anyone now how long privilege airline is going to operating the Barcelona and lanzarote flight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Post edited by kindalen on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Good look to anyone travelling on the latest hire in 9H-POP, no first class, no IFE, 9 abreast seating, 436 seats , no middle galley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aircraftenthusiast2000

A333 9H-POP probably covering for A333 EI-EIL which has not operated since arriving from Chicago on saturday morning.

All Aer Lingus A330-300s have 2 white antennas on top of the fuselage see EI-DUZ picture.

The exception being the 2 ex qatar A330-300s which only have the 1 fuselage front antenna see EI-EIK picture i.e. no rear antenna

What are the 2 white antennas for? is it Wifi and HF? will the ex qatar A330-300s get the rear fuselage antenna added in the future?

Of the 3 A330-200s still on the books, EI-GEY & EI-DUO have both front and rear antennas, where's EI-DAA only has the rear antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Normally EI operate two flights to ACE during the summer is the 777 being used to cover both flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-NSA out of the paint shop.

St Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

St Thomas was previously worn by A330-200 EI-EWR, now retired.

MAN base has a really picked up with the start of the British school holidays, MCO doing much better as expected with the Disney crowd but JFK has been sold out in economy everyday for the past two weeks, next available flight is either the 6th or 11th of August. Plenty of seats available in Business of course but encouraging for its first summer.

I can see why the -200s are rumoured for MAN next summer, it's clear JFK could use the extra capacity while MCO would benefit from fewer seats. BOS can be launched if the A321LR remains, unless there are bigger opportunities for it from Dublin of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

On your last point; if US departures get back to 2019 or above levels it has to be bumping up against the capacity for that facility? Its absolutely jammed as it is, and it's not a great place to be hanging out prior to departure (particularly given they more or less tell you to head straight there after check in).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Later flights and a later opening time for CBP is more likely than expansion of the space down there for more flights at the same times. There's no stands either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

I dont know why Aer Lingus are not pushing the DAA to go for planning for pier expansion immediately. Even if they don't want to build it tomorrow it will be needed in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

There was at one point plans included in the Dublin Airport master plan to add a walk way to the 300 gates of T1 and enable them to be used as pre clearance gates for US flights.Also another option included was to extend T2 to where the current south gates and cargo facility and add additional gates there and extend the pre clearance facility.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 300 gates are currently used to let EI get Euro flights away (as well as other airlines that want a jetbridge in T1) while so much of T2 is in use for CBP; so that won't help overall capacity

If CBP isn't extended across Europe and remains a DUB/SNN thing, I'd suggest that the DAA take a look at YUL - well, considering they already do the duty free there, just take a look when there - which has basically a CBP terminal; and not for that much more CBP passengers. They're just spread out across the day.

From memory there's a full (The Loop branded!) duty free, two bars, a Burger King and some other retail along with significant seating areas, toilets etc beyond CBP there. Build the second pier on T2 and convert the entire Pier E to CBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

divert more shorthaul to 300 gates i.e stick the whole lot over there but I dont think it will help much, CBP is bulging at the sides

Only solution in the short term is to put a few flights non-CBP and have Customs and Border at the other end. If I recall American did this a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

The Forward fuselage antenna is the SATCOM the rear one is the WIFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

At peak US departures all short haul flights already go from the 300 gates even emirates has been moved over ! Possibly not a bad idea to have some flights no more clearance but I’m not sure EI would be happy as they advertise that. Maybe if a financial incentive was offered.

Is EI NSB being delivered today?

Flightradar have it listed on Shannon’s arrivals page for this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

What if any are aer lingus expansion plans? Any new US routes ? Jet blue have said they want to launch routes from dublin. TUI flying to Cancun from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

6 A321NEOXLR's are on order and should arrive in 2023/4. The remaining 2 A330-200's appear to be coming back in 2023

That suggests major expansion into US/CA markets

• Advertisement

No doubt they have expansion plans, there are still two pre-pandemic routes to return, Minneapolis and Hartford. There’s was also the planned Montreal service which never got off the ground, firstly because of A321LR delivery delays in 2019 and then the pandemic in 2020 so that must still be one for consideration. The originally intended MAN-BOS route could also still be on the cards.

The short term problem is available aircraft, the current fleet can be moved around a bit for additional capacity but multiple new routes will need new aircraft to operate them. They also have a limited narrow-body fleet across the Atlantic. The rumour is two A330-200s are returning in the winter but outside of that things are tight with A321XLR delayed until 2024, so more second hand A330s seem likely!

As for EI-NSB, believe the arrival was planned for today or tomorrow so wouldn’t be surprised. I did see a video on social media yesterday showing a brief glimpse of the forward galley, couldn’t see the cabin but it still had its Smartavia purple curtain up!

Hope it’s had a full refit with all that time down there, fingers crossed they’ve taken the opportunity to add a few up to date features like USB charging and smartphone/tablet holders to the seats. Little details like that make the difference.

Advertisement