Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

I remember well Willie Walsh back in 2015 promising beautiful lies on Aer Lingus expanding to Asia if IAG took over 

Obviously it was all words while trying to persuade the government to sell their stake

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/iag-boss-willie-walsh-wants-expanded-aer-lingus-to-target-asian-destinations-31268685.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Who knows where things could be if Covid never happened. Maybe we would be in a scenario with routes like that being announced. It was never a short term thing obviously.

If it wasn't for IAG, Aer Lingus would almost certainly have required a tax payer bailout by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Eastbound long haul would probably never work for Aer Lingus, the competition is too intense and their product is too weak.

I think the long haul leisure market has more potential for an airline like Aer Lingus, particularly winter seasonal routes like the Caribbean and Mexico. It wouldn’t alter the route profile much from an operational point of view, still all westbound and similar stage lengths, but with new revenue opportunities in winter and strengthening the relevance of the brand at home and with the travel industry, tour operators etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It was mentioned as a full codeshare so they wouldn’t be competing as much as they’d be a partner of Qatar airways and feed them more connections into their hub

• Advertisement

Have LRA/LRG gone tech in DUB? EI117 was canx today and EI115 is delayed 3 hours so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

If DEN is on the cards I imagine it will need full cooperation with United to make it a success. It's a great hub to connect in.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

The old EI logic was 'there is no business traffic south of the Pyrenees ' in the past. Proved irrelevant by the huge number of all y class flights to much of the Med. Seems like the same thinking for Canada and more but it is likely impossible to compete head on with the ME3+THY. A serious service upgrade needed to operate DOH for QR. Plenty of underserved N American cities such as the mud west US and Canadian Maritimes but I doubt it will happen.

Does anyone know which NEO will operate SNN BOS next sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Don't know why anyone would voluntarily fly on EI metal when there's a QR service available too.

The product just isn't in the same league unfortunately.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Any sign of Aer Lingus bothering to come back to Cork a bit more, now that travel is back?

Ryanair relaunched their entire route network post-restrictions. Aer Lingus didn't. A few Heathrows, an Amsterdam, maybe a Dubrovnik... but lots of stuff still hasn't returned.

Was wondering the same. W22/23 is even less with just AMS, LHR, ACE & MUC. Theres also a weekly SZG charter from Dec. I was hoping there would be more for ORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Aer Lingus have gone from 4 based aircraft in Cork to just 2.

Getting up to 3 aircraft for next summer should be achievable - they have the resources in Cork in place it’s a shame not to utilise them.

Because a large cohort don’t know or care who they fly with, they’ll want a ticket from Ireland to Singapore/South Africa/Australia/New Zealand etc and will book the option/connection that’s best value/most convenient to them.

Aer Lingus and many other airlines are part of codeshare/inter line agreements where product/brand is chalk and cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TheBetsy

Also the 3 based EI Regional aircraft which never returned. Its a shame really that they haven't made an effort to restore services to airport although arguably some of those routes are now better served by Ryanair

Hopefully Emerald will announce Cork for 2023. They seemed to have more of a focus on BHD now unfortunately outside of DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Worth remembering Emerald weren’t supposed to take over from Stobart until January 2023, they had to start almost a year ahead of schedule so it made sense for them to focus on where the money was and what routes Aer Lingus had been maintaining over the pandemic to ensure continued service, that was at Dublin & Belfast.

I expect Emerald will still have Cork in its sights but Ryanair rapidly filled the gap.

The same goes for Aer Lingus themselves, they reduced service to a bare bones operation at Cork and were too slow/unable to pick up when the recovery began. Ryanair filled the gap which makes an Aer Lingus rebuild difficult without some hard work and I don’t think management at Shamrock House are willing to put up much of fight for that kind of network anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Also worth baring in mind the huge shortages in staff in every section of our industry. They lost 100s of millions and it makes sense to restore the most profitable routes first to try plug that gap. If we're still in this boat in 2 years then yes criticise them, but at the end of the day survival of the airline and protecting their employees by getting back in the black ASAP has to be the #1 priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

I totally agree.

If the recovery continues well, next year I really think a 3 aircraft base is feasible for Cork and especially for those peak summer months.

The scheduling now is so heavy for those two aircraft and also they’ve a Dublin aircraft operating Cork Malaga on a W rotation.

The EI ORK BCN route seems to be badly missed along with Lisbon if tweets to EI are anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

Can anyone explain the specific arrival and departure path approaching and departing Donegal airport? See path playback below, I was wondering why the loops instead of just approaching direct?

I was holidaying beside it last week and was wondering why this flight path for the Dublin route.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-hdi#2d2d48af

Wind direction. Airplanes land into the wind; if the wind is blowing the other way, then planes will land the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Procedure turns, no radar in EIDL so IFR traffic must let down on a known track then turn inbound on the approach course hence the loop. Becoming less of a thing now with Rnav approaches in.many airports but they still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

And in the case of Donegal much of the final descent is over water, which lessens the risks associated with high ground. The charts for Donegal can be accessed here: http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/aip_eidl_charts.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Being reported on other platforms that AerLingus will deploy one 321neo on the DOH route, codesharing with Qatar and providing extra connections from DOH onwards from 2Q 2023. QR will keep the later flight on a 787. Has anyone got any better insight on this?

I wonder if AerLingus will sell the late qatar flight on their website too or if its only Qatar selling both through a codeshare, like BA selling aerlingus flights but not the other way around.

I only fully believe this when officially announced by aer lingus

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Which other "platforms"? Links please.

Your post is very, very similar to one on Airliners.net (posted 23rd at approx 11pm)

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1475361&start=150

A brand new boards.ie poster (joined 5th August with 2 posts total) mentioned it here about 5-6 days ago.

so that makes 2 "platforms" that I am aware of. Maybe its being mentioned on Twitter, Insta or TikTok by people who read the post by Aine28 last week?

The 8 A321LRs of Aer Lingus are fully tasked at the moment. And there are no (known) plans to acquire more before Q3 2023. So EI would have to reduce its capacity across the Atlantic to operate DUB-DOH.

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

I really find it odd the way people just come up with stuff like this out of absolutely nowhere.

Obviously fair enough if it's genuine info but what's the motive otherwise?

My question would be are all A321Ns occupied on TAs or is there one kept around Europe for the LHR route? I know the A321Ns usually go to LHR after arriving from the West.

Perhaps the new A320N frees up any A321N that's not doing TAs?

I dunno I'm wrecked.

All the NEO are occupied doing DUB/SNN/MAN Transatlantic flights at the moment.

GEIRH was mentioned to come back from MAN so maybe it could do DOH? If EI are launching BUF/DEN i suspect it would maybe needed for one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

2 A330-200's coming back so lots of permutations

Put both in MAN to replace -300 and 321

IAD is currently double daily A321

So the math could get you 3 321's freed up, putting the MAN -300 on IAD

Two for Hartford/Montreal/Somewhere else ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement