Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Todays 107 gets cancelled because no crew would work on days off!

Nice to see the COO winning friends by refusing to give back the 10% paycut due.

Expect to see more Privilage Style doing ACMI next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Seems odd they would wait until Halifax, assuming the strike was at low altitude near New York. Maybe it got progressively worse and was weakening as time went on

Does anyone think EI will ever re open the Shannon crew base?

Seems such a waste of time busing crew down from DUB. Unless any of the previous Shannon crew are operating SNN flights now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

Will it be the 757 or could they use the 777? Considering spinning up to Dublin to see it if that's the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Aer Lingus crew are now being taken off their rostered flights and put onto standby, because the management have found money to pay for ACMI work, but not to return the flight crew to their pre-covid levels of pay.

The 777 is definitely doing early BCN Monday and Friday next week, and a couple of Lanzarotes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bit of a win for pax if they're booked in economy and they use that Privilege 757 which is all business config I believe.

Its only 2.5hrs to drive it, could take you that long to get from JFK/LGA to EWR if you hit Manhattan traffic at the wrong time!

But they overnight in Limerick before operating the flight from SNN the next day.

Im sure the crew love the extra night away 🤥

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Do they have more 757s beyond the one they charter to soccer teams etc? I thought they had more than one leased to ICE during the pre-covid MAX issues, I might be mixing them up with Euro Atlantic though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Nothing so dramatic.

Equipment failure that they couldn't resolve inflight and thus were not permitted to enter the North Atlantic tracks.

Aircraft repaired in JFK, operating JFK-DUB tonight according to FlightRadar24.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei106

• Advertisement

Mostly not the case.

And being away from home an extra night doesnt always suit.

Do crew that live locally operate the flights so? 2.5 hour drive in the morning before a 6-7 hour flight is a lot.

Have heard some live in the west and commute to DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

There are BA crew (long haul) based in Heathrow who commute from Ireland.

Yeah I know but EI had a base in Shannon. Which was handy because crew lived near by.

Now it’s an inconvenience for DUB crew and extra hotel/taxi expense for EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Has Aer Lingus expanded their codeshare with American Airlines on european routes now too? It was limited to regional UK and London at the start. I see the codeshare now in place for Madrid and Lisbon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Is G-EIDY back in the Dublin fleet ? I noticed it’s got it’s Irish reg reapplied.

Posted elsewhere a few weeks ago that it would be coming back.

And a day or two ago, suggestion was that the currently stored -200s would go to Manchester and both -300s there would return to Dublin.

Have you seen it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

I could be entirely wrong but, I think -DAA and

-DUO will be used in Dublin as they are both suitable for the west coast with -DAA having a lower deck crew rest and -DUO having a lower deck crew rest and flight crew rest area. Unless they plan to open other routes from MAN that these aircraft would be suited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Phen2206

[snip] - apologies, wrong thread.

• Advertisement

IMO the lower capacity of the -200s is better suited to the MAN base.

EI already have 6 A333s that can easily operate West Coast due to having crew rest fitted. (6 older frames without crew rest) The extra capacity is more important on such trunk routes as SFO/LAX. And this standardizes the DUB fleet capacity (with 2 notable exceptions!)

(The older 300s could be modified if it was really required)

is there any talks of Aer Lingus ever exploring the Middle East or Asian market again? Is the strategy of only focus in North America still in place? Its a shame Ireland lost the Hong Kong service with Cathay even though restrictions there still in place (even if it has improved now).

on another note, any plans for Montreal (YUL) or central America (Cancun or Barbados) from Dublin in the future? YUL particularly had been confirmed before the arrival of the first a321neo but then cancelled. Similiar to joining the OneWorld alliance

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Middle East failed before, albeit a very different market and time. China won't happen with anyone until it reopens, whenever that occurs. I don't see either being attractive to Aer Lingus.

I'd expect more NA destinations when the XLRs arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I don’t know about the Far East, but I heard a few weeks ago that Emirates are going twice a day ex Dublin in September (I think ) so hard to see AL targeting the ME

I think they could easily make a BWI route work with the A321LR, at least from a US perspective - not sure how much interest in the region there would be from Ireland/Europe and the lack of connections wouldn't be ideal either with the limited AA/B6/UA presence.

Maybe BNA might be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Read elsewhere in repose to G-EIDY returning to Dublin that the MAN fleet is still “set to grow” which surprised me.

It may well be a case of someone rehashing the original four aircraft base plans and assuming that’s still going ahead. Personally I don’t see it happening but would be happily proven wrong as I think MAN has great potential if treated properly by Aer Lingus.

As for the Middle East & Asia, I don’t see it happening. The product can’t compete against the likes of Qatar or Emirates and they don’t have the advantage of a long-standing service or local markets some of the larger European flag carriers have. It’s also very costly from an operational point of view, particularly for an airline that has fine tuned its ops for the transatlantic market.

There’s plenty of opportunities still to be had in North America with cities such as Vancouver, Montreal, Austin, Denver, Pittsburgh and Hartford. Elsewhere there should be some consideration for the Caribbean and Mexico to diversify the network slightly. South Africa was long rumoured but I think that ship has sailed, its low yielding and terrible fleet utilisation.

Aer Lingus has done extremely well on long haul, it was once a fatal drain on their finances but has thrived in recent years. Unfortunately short haul is now the weak link, it desperately needs a similar revival in all areas from fleet and network, to product and cost.

How is the cost on ShortHaul that much higher compared to rivals? A few points…Aer Lingus got rid of services such as cleaners at outstations while BA etc still get cleaned. Aer lingus got rid of business class in the early 2000s on their european flights while many rivals on same routes still have it for example Iberia, BA, aegean. TAP, air france, klm etc. Their turnaround are extremely short, 40min is the norm, all aircraft crewed with minimum crew… all services are buy on board with the exception of one single row on their 320, the aerspace product….

compared to rivals I cant see how the cost is that high, as you pointed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I haven't used EI short haul since September 2019 – I found the experience to be no better than Ryanair without the low fares.

Given the chance I'd happily pay more for a Premium Economy service, especially if I could enjoy the flight without having to listen to information about perfumes that are exclusive to Aer Lingus.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

I think the -200 makes sense for Manchester having less seats as the Orlando flights don’t seem to be very full at all. It’s only 4 A330-300 that can operate the west coast at the moment -GAJ, -GCF, -EIM and -EIN. I remember rumours of SFO going twice a day I wonder would it be possible with the 4 aircraft maybe possible be changing times around.

Advertisement