Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

It’s an actual one fitted no sheds anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

They could definitely upguage one of the IAD services to A330, at least seasonally. I see UA are running a combinations of 767/777 on it over the summer whereas previously that was an exclusively 757 route for them. There must be a ton of demand on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I believe UA have actually pulled IAD-DUB due lack of airframes at the moment albeit temporarily, the use of dual daily 21N's is giving slightly higher capacity versus an A330-300 but allowing a lot more connections for EI. Don't see an A330 being deployed on IAD next Summer but that may change of course.

The LDMCR's are all removable and aren't fixed, they simply aren't being removed from relative aircraft anymore as they were being damaged in the process and as a consequence becoming unavailable for use, which meant for EI, J cabins had to be emptied to comply with EASA rest requirements.

Yes the lower deck rest area is indeed removable. When I said fitted I meant the staircase to access it being fitted which wasn’t clear in my reply.

Believe it got pulled for June but its back in July - the 777s are the P&W version it would appear, those seem to be coming back online after the DEN engine incident last year.

Either way that's a ton of capacity being added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Wasn't aware of that, Indeed lots of demand for leisure travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I thought there was a photo of one of the floating around somewhere. I heard some of the crew likened them to a coffin!!!

Sorry that was my mistake. Thats what I meant by the shed. Although knowing full well about the centre crest rest area on the older 200's. The removable cargo box which as I said in another post was more akin to a coffin.

-GEY on its way from Ciudad Real to Nimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

First photo of EI-NSB in Aer Lingus colours;

EDIT: Beaten to it by Avgeek2101 😂 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Both of you beat me to it :) Looks like a bunch of frames have been inherited from Russian carriers. EI-NSB was supposed to go to SmartAvia.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

3 more to come from that cancelled/sanctioned Smartavia order.

And possibly 2 from an IAG order.

Friend of a friend type scenario here, works for EI maintenance, saying they’re having huge issues with fuel burn in the NEOs.

Not preforming as it should.

Is friend talking bawlocks or any truth to it?

Are the NEO limited on DUB’s runway? Think there was something on that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Phen2206

Yes in certain conditions it is. ATC tend to keep 28L in use up to maximum tailwind conditions and this is the biggest problem for a heavy NEO. Combine that with a wet runway and a full load, you have problems. It is hoped that the longer 10L/28R will help to solve these problems.

Re: the fuel burn, I think most NEO operators are broadly happy with it. It essentially burns what an A320ceo burns, which isn't bad for an aircraft that is well over 20 tons heavier at MTOW.

Different source says the EI are looking to cancel the 321XLR in favour of other 330CEO and are looking to the secondhand market. Failing that, change the 321 order to a 330NEO order.

That would suggest a complete change is strategy across the Atlantic.

The XLR looks set to be at least 6 months delayed, it could also end up with more weight than originally planned so I can definitely see it raising a few eyebrows with management at Aer Lingus and other airlines. Unfortunately for those airlines there is nothing else on the market close enough to fulfil the role they wanted this aircraft to do so they either negotiate new deals, compensation while still taking the aircraft or ditch it completely and go back to the drawing the board.

If Aer Lingus go back to the drawing board by cancelling the A321XLR and opting for any type of A330 instead, it's a complete u-turn in strategy and makes the already limited 'DUBHUB' ambitions even more restricted. I'm afraid second hand A330s just aren't cutting it from a passenger experience point of view and won't see the airline through to the 2030s successfully while all their rivals are on first and second cabin upgrades of their already next generation fleets.

As for the rumoured issues with A321LR fuel burn, no other airline has publicly come out with similar similar complaints but neither have many airlines been singing its praises. I'd guess the truth could be somewhere in the middle.

I think EI need to rethink the cabin configs and add in Premium Economy, the market is absolutely there for it as every other transatlantic carrier seems to run some version. Not sure if the economics or use of space would work in a 321 though.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the paxex point on older A330 v A321, certainly for those who tend to sit nearer the tail! 2-4-2 is far more comfortable than 3-3.

Personally I'd take an A321LR to BOS over the likes of -EIL and -EIK any day. As we head towards 2025-2030, the comparisons will be increasingly with other airlines and their fleets of A350s, 787s, A33Ns and A321Ns which are coming fitted with latest cabins, fixtures and entertainment. When it comes to more second hand A330s, Aer Lingus sticks a green cover over the seats and calls it a day.

Absolutely, it's long overdue I'd say. The Manchester base would have been the perfect testing ground, the UK leisure market has been used to premium economy products for years now, Aer Lingus missed a trick not fitting out the two A330s with it for Orlando and Bridgetown.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

At the risk of being laughed off the website (again)....why not reconsider the B757 for selective outsourced operations?

I realise is might be a stretch to find a couple of good frames but the higher operating costs will be mitigated by a heavily depreciated capital cost, the first rule of capex if the replacement doesn't generate a higher PV than the existing asset...don't buy it...and A321NEO LR/XLR doesn't sound like it's meeting performance parameters that underpinned the decision to buy it.

A 757 option doesn't have to be a full A321NEO replacement....just enough via outsourced flying to operate a number of select routes (MSP for example) but it still seems to be the most capable plane to make the Dubhub strategy work.

I just think if the A330CEO or A330NEO were a viable concepts, EI would have gone down that path already.

EI has to grow into this aircraft capacity and if anything Icelandair decision to focus on B7M8 risks EIR being eaten alive by a more agile competitor better able to match demand an supply ...I haven't even brought up B7M8's are already being operated into DUB by Westjet, and before that Air Canada.

I'd as far to say that replacing the A321LR/XLR with either the A330 CEO or NEO risks creates a business plan subordinate to the capex plan, and that never works out well.

Sorry, but EI has no option here but to take the a321 XLR's when they arrive, my suggestion would look if outsourcing is possible for select operations, and wait to see what Boeing comes up with in two years time.

To be fair you can put fabulous cabins on older aircraft if you like, the age of airframe shouldn't have any impact on that, especially as its likely anything designed for an A330 Neo will be available on the CEO.

It looks like the price of fuel won't be dropping anytime soon however with Ukraine and environmental taxation on the way, the lower fuel burn of the Neo might now have tipped the balance in the economics. The A330Neo programme is really struggling so a good deal can likely be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not this again. Stopovers in Keflavik will appeal to very few.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sherology

I think EI need to start planning for the a330ceo replacement cycle as their frames are getting on a bit old... Plenty of life left but it takes a few years to get aircraft in demand, albeit the a330neo could be a couple of years (maybe sooner as AirAsia X cancelled theirs), and I think it's more suited to EIs routes/ambitions (transatlantic), than a350.

In terms of the XLR, seems strange they'd forgo these slots as the LR carries the extra weight of the removable tanks, and has little space for cargo... If Dublin's runway is wrecking the math's of the LR/XLR, then that's something that has to matter. The north runway is opening in a month so it'll be interesting to see the effect on take-off performance on the LRs.

Premium economy... Agree... Missing a trick here, and branding it as AerSpace to link into the established shorthaul brand would be synergy.

In terms of onboard/cabins... Good lord will EI standardize... Beautiful grey (looking) Collins seats on the LRs - reflecting the new brand, green recaro seats on the 330s, blue pleather seat on a320, no idea on ATR but assume something different again. The a320neo on the way in... assume recaro slimline - but what style (look) will they pick... Spin the wheeeeeel. DubHub and connections support the long haul ambitions but the weird cabins make EI appear very muddled. Like the repaint schedule... Do it when the frame needs a new coat... Reupholster the seats with 'new EI' style when they're due a refurb.

Re 757, I would assume its not the frames that are the difficulty, but rather the crew.

Runway performance for the Max 9 is even worse than the LR I believe. The 321N burns similar fuel to the Max 8 on longer legs but is a larger aircraft. The longer runway will make a difference.

Premium economy, yeah maybe so long as it is at the expense of economy seats rather than the J cabin. Pre pandemic all the profit was in the J cabin and the cargo hold. Y was just ballast.

Post edited by HTCOne on

Does anyone know why LRG diverted to BOS yesterday? It was operating EI119 to IAD. Currently positioning down to IAD from BOS now to operate EI118 later as well. Todays EI119 is cancelled.

• Advertisement

Advertisement