Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    I see a 330 on DUB-LHR this evening - freight ? looking at the history on FR24 it did the same run last Monday too (EI-EIM)

That would absolutely be the reason.

EI 178/179 has been predominately A330 operated for some time if you look back through the history.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

LXFlyer wrote: »
    That would absolutely be the reason.

EI 178/179 has been predominately A330 operated for some time if you look back through the history.
    Crew currency is another factor. EI had planned to have 15 Daily A330 T/A flights last summer. They now have 2 (3 daily the odd time BOS gets an A330)
    So using the short sectors to LHR helps keep the A330 crews licenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Jack1985 wrote: »
    I was thinking as much, EI may be deferring the following routes that had been planned for the reduced S21 schedule which are now currently off-sale until possibly Summer 2022 when the market should be more resilient;

DUB: AHO, BDS, BLQ, CTA, GVA, MXP, PSA, PUY, SPU, ZRH
    ORK: ACE, AMS, DBV

I’m wondering will the ORK schedule survive the extended closure for the runway upgrade? Seems like a huge commercial gamble to close the airport into the ramping up of routes returning. Effectively Cork is looking at December and into 2022 for routes to start re-emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

I’m wondering will the ORK schedule survive the extended closure for the runway upgrade? Seems like a huge commercial gamble to close the airport into the ramping up of routes returning. Effectively Cork is looking at December and into 2022 for routes to start re-emerging.

I mean that's work that needed to be done, may as well get it completed while travel remains depressed (and it will through 2021 for Europe by the looks of things). It's also shoulder season its slated for which makes sense.

cson wrote: »
    I mean that's work that needed to be done, may as well get it completed while travel remains depressed (and it will through 2021 for Europe by the looks of things). It's also shoulder season its slated for which makes sense.

Fingers crossed it recovers. We need the connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Noel Philips took an Aer Lingus A330 from Chicago to Dublin in Business class in his newest video.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

xtradel wrote: »
    Noel Philips took an Aer Lingus A330 from Chicago to Dublin in Business class in his newest video.

Why is he doing these flights in the current conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

What conditions? You mean cheap flights with a handful of passengers around you and no delays getting through airport security?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

basill wrote: »
    What conditions? You mean cheap flights with a handful of passengers around you and no delays getting through airport security?

No I mean against the advice for no unnecessary travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No I mean against the advice for no unnecessary travel.

His job is creating travel content! Traveling for work is not considered unnecessary. He has every entitlement to travel.

• Advertisement

His job is creating travel content! Traveling for work is not considered unnecessary. He has every entitlement to travel.

I'd consider it totally unnecessary.

Nice looking cabin. Hopefully I’ll get to test it out sometime.

It’s Aer Lingus getting any help at all to keep afloat? It seems like one of the few European flag carriers / former flag carriers that hasn’t been bailed out, yet it has probably been hit every bit as hard or even harder than many of them.

I know Irish aviation will likely bounce back, but we could still be looming at 2023 before traffic looks somewhat normal around the world again.

Why is he doing these flights in the current conditions?

He considers this "Work". :rolleyes: and sufficient reason to ignore government restrictions. I'm very much in the camp of this isn't a job and is so far removed from essential reasons to travel.

I'm sure his bank balance is suffering as he is one of many full time Travel Vloggers and has a wife and children to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If consider it totally unnecessary.

Your absolutely free to, and many others would too. But the guidelines allow for work related travel, and travel related content is his line of work. So as per Ireland’s current covid guidelines, his traveling escapades are not considered “non essential”.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It’s Aer Lingus getting any help at all to keep afloat? It seems like one of the few European flag carriers / former flag carriers that hasn’t been bailed out, yet it has probably been hit every bit as hard or even harder than many of them........... .

Several chances to try out the seats/cabin.
    They use the A330 on Malaga and Faro. And also the A321LR is being used on LHR on a handful of other Euro routes from next month.

Aer Lingus hasn't had any direct/specific aviation sector financial support from the Irish Govt. (as the UK, France, Germany and others have done)

However they have availed of the Govts Covid-19 loan facility. I think they have applied for a received €150m so far from this general business fund.
    They have also received funding to pay their staff via the national Covid-19 unemployment preventstion system. (TWSS and EWSS specifically) Their staff are all on 50% salary, (was 30% over last Winter) which is mostly covered by this Govt aid.

Reports in the media state that they are burning through €1 million a day.
    I would love to know if that is their normal costing (ie. Leasing costs and overheads)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Your absolutely free to, and many others would too. But the guidelines allow for work related travel, and travel related content is his line of work. So as per Ireland’s current covid guidelines, his traveling escapades are not considered “non essential”.

While I'd be reluctant to endorse his travel at this time, presumably he just transferred at Dublin though so he was not subject to Irish covid rules?

The last scenes are of him at the departure gates.

English and US rules would have applied to his trip.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Discussion of what is or isn't a job should go to, erm, Work and Jobs or something. But not here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI was healthy prior to COVID and has a parent to fallback on for support.

If there was cash on hand, government money comes with terms and knowing our politicians those terms will not make commercial sense, so if you can fund via non conditional sources (i.e. loans with commercial terms) you will draw them down first. The Shannon lobby would try to restore the stopover given a chance...

The upside is commercial freedom when business resumes, no awkward obligations to deal with. Watch KLM/AF and LH in coming years as the governments try to manipulate the companies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sorry if it's been answered but does anyone know when the route reviews will be completed and those destinations back on the website? I sent Aer Lingus a DM on Twitter but the reply was worse than useless.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Sorry if it's been answered but does anyone know when the route reviews will be completed and those destinations back on the website? I sent Aer Lingus a DM on Twitter but the reply was worse than useless.

Thanks.

Is there a particular route? The following routes will not operate from Dublin in 2021;

Alghero, Bologna, Brindisi, Catania, Milan-Malpensa, Marseille, Montpellier, Nantes, Perpignan, Pisa, Pula and Split.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Thanks.

They’re still overhauling the schedule, I’ve a holiday booked for august and I got an email today advising a change in departure/arrival time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Is there a particular route? The following routes will not operate from Dublin in 2021;

Alghero, Bologna, Brindisi, Catania, Milan-Malpensa, Marseille, Montpellier, Nantes, Perpignan, Pisa, Pula and Split.

Yeah, it was Alghero. So are those officially canceled? In that case it would be nice if they'd just take them off their website. According to Aer Lingus themselves they're "still under review"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

MXP is the surprise for me in that list, the others more leisure but I guess Linate covers the city/business traffic (if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Yeah, it was Alghero. So are those officially canceled? In that case it would be nice if they'd just take them off their website. According to Aer Lingus themselves they're "still under review"...

Canned for S21 from what I'm aware, I'd agree it creates unnecessary confusion for people like yourself. EI are currently planning a level of capacity that led to routes particularly lower in frequency as I previously referred to being canned for this Season. There's really only 2 months for EI to try recoup as much demand and that's focused on core services.

Would hope you'll be contacted and given more clarity asap so you know your options.
    Van.Bosch wrote: »
    MXP is the surprise for me in that list, the others more leisure but I guess Linate covers the city/business traffic (if any)

Previous user on this thread referred to EI having more slots for Linate, they may concentrate capacity there in the short-term. Linate selling very well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Commencing 31st of July Faro is down as 3 times a day from previously down as X2. A330-300 X2 and an extra A320 between on Saturday’s only. Bookings must be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

EI was healthy prior to COVID and has a parent to fallback on for support.

If there was cash on hand, government money comes with terms and knowing our politicians those terms will not make commercial sense, so if you can fund via non conditional sources (i.e. loans with commercial terms) you will draw them down first. The Shannon lobby would try to restore the stopover given a chance...

The upside is commercial freedom when business resumes, no awkward obligations to deal with. Watch KLM/AF and LH in coming years as the governments try to manipulate the companies

That's the crux of it. EI will be doing Shannon stopovers if some pol could figure out a way to make it a part of a bailout deal, now or later. While IAG has a strong balance sheet, go with that and make decisions fleet of foot. The Oireachtas can call in the CEO all they want and grill her, and she can walk back out and keep making decisions that make sense for the business in the years ahead. EI management unshackled from state ownership have done well in the good economic times when left to their own devices, from a growth perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Probably expecting there to be not enough demand to serve both Milan airports this year. IIRC Linate slots are far harder to get a hold of than Malpensa so they likely want to hold on to the ones they have for next year and beyond. The suspension on the use em or lose em rule by Eurocontrol might not last all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Commencing 31st of July Faro is down as 3 times a day from previously down as X2. A330-300 X2 and an extra A320 between. Bookings must be doing well.

Seems to be just on Saturdays. Every other day is 2 320s.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Seems to be just on Saturdays. Every other day is 2 320s.

Indeed it is Saturdays only. I meant to include that apologies!

• Advertisement

SNN LHR schedule got updated and is on sale from Sept 13th. EI388 21.20 Departure added instead of lunch time EI384.

Does anyone know if EI380/1 will return. That was particularly popular flight.

Advertisement