Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

As of today you can do DUB-KIR or DUB-CFN without any hassle with the gardai...

I believe the garda stakeout at the airport has ended and the fines for travelling have elapsed, the army are on hand for arrivals from the MHQ list.

The fine was extended to June 2nd.

Thinking of a day trip to CFN just to do something, emailed CFN and the 25 min turnaround isn’t a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m booking a trip for October, should be all good by then.

14 of us are leaving the wives at home, and going to Spain golfing for the 2nd week of October! Flights were only €125 return;with EI. Accommodation in a 4 star hotel was €36 pppn sharing for 4 nights B&B rate. We booked before there was talk of any reopening, so I expect prices to have increased now. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Myself & Mrs R have booked flights to Palma for Sept. I'm fully vacced, she's heard nothing yet, but we're quietly confident that all will be ok by then. Flights with ALT were more than reasonable too, so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Have booked Bilbao for 1-4th of July. Does anyone know if this flight will be operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Have booked Bilbao for 1-4th of July. Does anyone know if this flight will be operating?

Why would you book if you didn't know if the flight was operating??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

OU812 wrote: »
    Why would you book if you didn't know if the flight was operating??

Because it was a voucher and I can easily change the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Emerald and Aer Lingus finalising the Aer Lingus Regional franchise deal with a binding contract expected soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Emerald and Aer Lingus finalising the Aer Lingus Regional franchise deal with a binding contract expected soon.

Do emerald even have any aircraft or pilots yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

bombs away wrote: »
    Do emerald even have any aircraft or pilots yet?

Well they are apparently receiving aircraft in late summer. But they won’t take over the contract until winter 2022?! I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Locker10a wrote: »
    Well they are apparently receiving aircraft in late summer. But they won’t take over the contract until winter 2022?! I think

Any changes expected in terms of scope - will it still be mainly UK flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Any changes expected in terms of scope - will it still be mainly UK flights?

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t imagine any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus have suspended* SNN-BOS for the summer, JFK restart pushed out to July 19th. Perhaps some confidence SNN-LHR remains available from June 21st.

DUB-US also pushed out to Jul 19th with SEA suspended* and IAD/YYZ delayed until mid August and September.

* until 31 Oct i.e. winter timetable.

Subject to change from SNN id say. Article this week in Clare Herald said that a document within EI says both JFK and BOS suspended till 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI work 4-6 weeks ahead so don't read anything into the schedule in July/August, what is going on is housekeeping really

It does help with cash flow as money comes in, it has to be refunded in time but EI has the money for several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

Given the number of people who report they feel dreadful the next day, it is the correct position as it risks cancellation of a service as the aircraft operate at minimum crew levels for EASA cert (i.e. 1 per door on a A330). All layovers are 24 hours currently so no chance to find a 48 hour gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EASA issued an edict last week effectively banning ATCOs from working within 48 hours of receiving a COVID vaccine. Given its the same Aeromedical team there for Crew there’s probably a similar rule for them in effect, ie they would now be breaking EASA rules by exercising their licence within 48 hours of the jab.

HTCOne wrote: »
    EASA issued an edict last week effectively banning ATCOs from working within 48 hours of receiving a COVID vaccine. Given its the same Aeromedical team there for Crew there’s probably a similar rule for them in effect, ie they would now be breaking EASA rules by exercising their licence within 48 hours of the jab.

Be interesting to see how the second jab is handled...

Safety is a serious business, you don't want to be in a metal tube for 7 hours with a cabin alt of 8-9000 feet if you are any way unwell. Equally getting stuck away from home during COVID if you had a bad reaction is no fun if its the US as you would be subject to the MHQ on return if not operating crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

Given the number of people who report they feel dreadful the next day, it is the correct position as it risks cancellation of a service as the aircraft operate at minimum crew levels for EASA cert (i.e. 1 per door on a A330). All layovers are 24 hours currently so no chance to find a 48 hour gap.

Like I said, I get it - however I wouldn't be surprised if people don't read beyond the headline and this ends up being talked about to Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cson wrote: »

I had a read of the article and it's pretty vague.
    Sounds like the journalist has a mate who is crew and asked them if they can get vaccinated in the USA.

I asked my own cabin crew mate crew earlier today. (via text)

He told me that no such "reminder" has been issued. He said that an official procedure/notice was issued about 5-6 weeks ago as the Irish vaccinations program started properly. But nothing specific about the USA was mentioned and nothing stated since. He did caveat it by saying that cabin crew and pilots often gets differing instructions from their respective mgmt.
    He said he wouldn't risk it as needing to get a 2nd jab was risky when he is only getting a flight to the US every 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have suspended* SNN-BOS for the summer, JFK restart pushed out to July 19th. Perhaps some confidence SNN-LHR remains available from June 21st.

DUB-US also pushed out to Jul 19th with SEA suspended* and IAD/YYZ delayed until mid August and September.

* until 31 Oct i.e. winter timetable.

SNN-JFK* DUB-LAX* and YYZ (mid Oct), EWR / IAD (late Aug), MCO (2 Oct) and BOS reduced.

Edit - Reported crew base closing at SNN.

[quote="
    Edit - Reported crew base closing at SNN.[/quote]

Devastating for the staff involved.

Anyone know how long EI have had a crew base at SNN?

Cork closed for 3 months, staff temporarily laid off. 138 crew, 60 ground staff.
    Shannon base closed for good. Crew laid off or offered transfer to Dublin. Ground staff laid off but might be brought back if/when routes restart. 81 crew, 45 ground staff.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0518/1222358-aer-lingus-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭x567

Ah that’s a great shame. Many superb crew in the SNN base; really feel for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 neutrino

“Connectivity” will be the buzzword from various bleating provincial politicos from now until summer 2022; harsh reality is, like a boxer backing into the corner getting a beating, Aer Lingus will shrink back to DUB to protect itself as much as possible, waiting for temporary relief from the bell, as this summer is now a lost cause.

Ex DUB long haul will be minimal this winter; flight and cabin crew will be threatened with furlough, and will yet be retained with extensions of agreed salary concessions.

“Connectivity” will be 2 hour motorway trip to Dublin. SNN & ORK short haul will be W pattern from DUB. Handling & catering will be outsourced, same as DUB.

Never waste a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Bookings surging in EI since last night.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Bookings surging in EI since last night.

Which is positive.

My opinion is that there is a repressed urge to travel but that without certainly people were hesitant to do so. So with travel resuming from July 19th we may no see an explosion of routes on that day but at least people can make a booking with a bit more confidence.

Still no info from Aer Lingus regarding changes to their operation in Dublin (in regards to cuts etc) I wonder were they waiting to see what the Govt announced today and then decide what they need to do?
    ie. July 19th means plan B, Aug 2nd means plan A, Aug 16th means Plan C........

July 19th is 7 weeks so enough time to get ready and to adapt on demand. I don't trust the HSE so won't be booking till I have second jab in arm (flying out 15 days later...)

But as there are no summer staff hired, they don't have the cabin crew or check in numbers to run a full schedule. At best we are looking at Oct/Nov levels of capacity

You could though see a lot more A330 action around Europe if the US continues to lag behind, its a lot cheaper fly a single A330 than 2 A320's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

The Minister for Transport has just confirmed that as well as Travel resuming within the EU from the 19th of July, Travel under the same conditions as the CTC (Covid Travel Certificate) will resume to the UK and US (Reciprocal needed to allow Irish Citizens enter the US). This is huge.
    Tenger wrote: »
    Still no info from Aer Lingus regarding changes to their operation in Dublin (in regards to cuts etc) I wonder were they waiting to see what the Govt announced today and then decide what they need to do?
    ie. July 19th means plan B, Aug 2nd means plan A, Aug 16th means Plan C........

One thing we can be sure of is the Christmas list has been organised, what they get will be different.

Advertisement