Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

No doubt it plays a part but it doesn’t always correspond to restrictions or official travel advice from a US government perspective. The current US travel advice for Ireland is actually tougher than those for the United Kingdom despite the open border.

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/?extent=-14.812101054,51.261076503,-1.513920294,55.421781277

I’m pretty sure Ireland’s status is largely self inflicted here, it’s a two way street with the US and if we were willing to ease restrictions for them they’d be quick to reciprocate.

Indeed, the HSE hack is the resulting in the above as data is not readily available. Not sure what the latest is with system restoration to hopefully correct that, Ireland shows as no data available on the ECDC Covid tracking website too as of late.

One would also hope that reciprocal rights are granted by the US following the news today the EU signed off on entry status of US citizens into Schengen (again not applying to us), I see NYCGO started an advertising campaign targeted at its biggest markets of the UK/ROI in the last few days one would hope that movement regarding the border is expected shortly. I would expect any border restriction lifting to occur after relaxtion occurs between the US/Canada and Mexico.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’m pretty sure Ireland’s status is largely self inflicted here, it’s a two way street with the US and if we were willing to ease restrictions for them they’d be quick to reciprocate.

We have very light restrictions on inbound US travel. Vaccinated arrivals can quarantine at home and take a PCR on day 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Tenger wrote: »
    Vaccinated arrivals can quarantine at home and take a PCR on day 5.

Truly embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Tenger wrote: »
    We have very light restrictions on inbound US travel. Vaccinated arrivals can quarantine at home and take a PCR on day 5.

Oh yes, very light indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

As someone in North America wanting to visit in July its its not clear, I was on a couple of sites from the DFA to citizens info to get a concrete answer on the entry rules.

5 day quarantine seems pretty silly though, a departing PCR and vaccination proof should be more than enough. The 5 days is bollox imo. We had 60 cases yesterday in a population of 2.9 million....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

If they’re fully vaccinated then let them in. Look at the flights and tourism boom Greece is experiencing from the US with those exact rules.

Oh yes, very light indeed.

Compared to other nations it certainly is.
    Home quarantine isn't very onerous. It basically "self isolation". Personally I would prefer a test on arrival day and 'release 24-36 hours later (as in a Iceland)

Australia are only allowing citizens home.
    Hong Kong is the same AND has a 21 day MHQ system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The future EI-LRF on its second flight. The saints whose names are being used are becoming more and more obscure.
    51253277168_f38d1922ae_b.jpg6V2A1021 by Mathias Düber - Aviation Photography and more..., on Flickr

EchoIndia wrote: »
    The future EI-LRF on its second flight. The saints whose names are being used are becoming more and more obscure.

I would agree.
    85 distinct names used to date. (open to correction on this)
    55 of which have been introduced in the last 35 years.

As a history reader I find its interesting that the latin style of the name shows the resurgent influence of the Roman church in the High Medieval period.
    There was a Pope Gelasius who died in the early 1100s. The Archbishop of Armagh took the name in the mid 1100s. (assuming that's the namesake, there was another abbot with the name who was killed by the English in the late 1500s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archbishop_of_Armagh
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/ocullenan-gelasius-glaisne

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Dublin to Miami available to book on the website again from the 17th of December. Looks like Wednesday, Friday and Sunday service. Also the times have changed it’s a good bit earlier now.
    DUB-MIA A330-300
    EI141 13:10-17:50
    EI140 19:35-08:55

• Advertisement

LRF looks ready for delivery in Hamburg. The german D reg has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Avgeek2101 wrote: »
    LRF looks ready for delivery in Hamburg. The german D reg has been removed.

Due for handover tomorrow and arrival in Dublin Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Dublin to Miami available to book on the website again from the 17th of December. Looks like Wednesday, Friday and Sunday service. Also the times have changed it’s a good bit earlier now.
    DUB-MIA A330-300
    EI141 13:10-17:50
    EI140 19:35-08:55

Those times look much better for connections at either end in fairness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Move this post if necessary but has anyone else noticed EI have changed their baggage policy?
    A “low fare” now includes a free 10kg check-in bag. And a fee has beef added to carry your own case onboard. Similar to Ryanair but the check in option is free on EI

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

HTCOne wrote: »

Definitely. People often complained how late the flight was.
    Orlando seems to be much earlier too.
    EI121 DUB-MCO 12:20-17:00
    EI120 MCO-DUB 19:05-08:00

I’m sure the previous one was around 16:00 departure ex DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Locker10a wrote: »
    Move this post if necessary but has anyone else noticed EI have changed their baggage policy?
    A “low fare” now includes a free 10kg check-in bag. And a fee has beef added to carry your own case onboard. Similar to Ryanair but the check in option is free on EI

There's a whole thread on the topic :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058194597

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »

I was going to give it a few days and then merge it into this one. I though it might need its own thread initially

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭x567

HTCOne wrote: »
    Not necessarily at the MIA end. Maybe from within the US, but if you’re coming in from the Caribbean or Central America to MIA you have to factor in that there’s no airside connection and immigration queues can be very long. Many of these arrivals would now miss the onward EI flight, but maybe that’s not a significant part of the target market for the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

x567 wrote: »
    Not necessarily at the MIA end. Maybe from within the US, but if you’re coming in from the Caribbean or Central America to MIA you have to factor in that there’s no airside connection and immigration queues can be very long. Many of these arrivals would now miss the onward EI flight, but maybe that’s not a significant part of the target market for the flight.

I did a United to United international connection through the US once on the way back from Costa Rica. I had three hours to do it, and nearly missed my flight.

I wouldn't try that again.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The ideal departure time ex Dublin is around 1300-1400 as you pick up the first wave of EU coming back, all the French,German, Spanish, Italian flights. If you go for a departure before this you are limited to basically the UK and possibly AMS for connecting traffic. But coming back the ideal arrival slot is pre 6am or around 3pm to make the most connections.

So it really comes down to if the UK is the target for connections, the timing at the Dublin end is basically flexible, but if targeting EU you have two sweet spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭sherology

I thought MIA was underperforming pre-pandemic, but guess they can reduce schedule if numbers are low. What US routes are not coming back? I assume SEA/SF0/LAX are back?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jjnaas

I think their thinking is that with the summer looking very thin that people will want winter sun and Miami will be popular. I know several people in upper management at my job who are looking at Florida or the Caribbean this winter rather than skiing as they want the sun having written off this summer and feel it would be safer than skiing. So, possibly EI knows there's a market there. We were booked to Sicily in late September but the Catania flights have been axed, we'd book Florida for Feb/March in a heartbeat having had no break at all since 2019. I'm just done with the uncertainty and the faff of potential testing so I'm going to wait and see what happens at this point.

We had LAX booked for last summer and I moved it to winter 2020 as customer service told me it wouldn't come back immediately. They told me SFO would be first back once the border opened and then LAX and SEA would be added later. Granted that was almost a year ago so things could have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭sherology

jjnaas wrote: »
    I think their thinking is that with the summer looking very thin that people will want winter sun and Miami will be popular. I know several people in upper management at my job who are looking at Florida or the Caribbean this winter rather than skiing as they want the sun having written off this summer and feel it would be safer than skiing. So, possibly EI knows there's a market there. We were booked to Sicily in late September but the Catania flights have been axed, we'd book Florida for Feb/March in a heartbeat having had no break at all since 2019. I'm just done with the uncertainty and the faff of potential testing so I'm going to wait and see what happens at this point.

We had LAX booked for last summer and I moved it to winter 2020 as customer service told me it wouldn't come back immediately. They told me SFO would be first back once the border opened and then LAX and SEA would be added later. Granted that was almost a year ago so things could have changed.

Yeah... Has a bunch of LPA and Toronto's bike trips moved (in seemingly perpetual motion). I guess if their base at Manchester works, their brand will become more recognized in that market and then can feed the dub-hub to places like MIA and West coast along with their direct US services which will suit those new times. I won't be travelling for some time (moved to lake/countryside and don't drive so airport trip is near impossible on public transport) but hoping EI have a great winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I was keeping an eye on flights to Venice with EI for the end of July and was just about to book them when they seem to have pulled them off sale for the Friday/Monday that I wanted. They're marked as 'sold out' but I doubt that's actually the case as they're not available any other week. Anyone know if it's just optimising the schedule based on bookings or if they might 'reappear'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    I was keeping an eye on flights to Venice with EI for the end of July and was just about to book them when they seem to have pulled them off sale for the Friday/Monday that I wanted. They're marked as 'sold out' but I doubt that's actually the case as they're not available any other week. Anyone know if it's just optimising the schedule based on bookings or if they might 'reappear'

Pulling even more routes and freq to run the DUB/BHD routes after Stobart.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭x567

Noxegon wrote: »
    I did a United to United international connection through the US once on the way back from Costa Rica. I had three hours to do it, and nearly missed my flight.

I wouldn't try that again.
    Similar experience in MIA to the EI flight, which I missed; two and a half hours between fights (with no inbound delays) wasn’t enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Definitely. People often complained how late the flight was.
    Orlando seems to be much earlier too.
    EI121 DUB-MCO 12:20-17:00
    EI120 MCO-DUB 19:05-08:00

I’m sure the previous one was around 16:00 departure ex DUB.

Departed DUB at 1500 and usually got in around 1900 so that pretty much writes off the first day in MCO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

jjnaas wrote: »

Decent prices too. I am looking at 10 days in January MCO and its coming in at €1550 for myself, wife and child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

As expected mainline will operate EDI, GLA and BRS ex DUB for the summer in addition to BHD-EDI, MAN and BHX.

• Advertisement

Will LRG & LRH both transfer to Aer Lingus UK this year and operate JFK or will one stay and move next year to operate BOS?

Advertisement