Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options
1320321322323324326»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

South Korea has closed their schools again

All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'd say that's it alright. There's a definite increase in traffic this past couple of weeks. There's a lot of people involved in the construction industry that have gone back to work too to be fair.

It has been all week the traffic, I’m on the road a lot and I know what I’m talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don’t expect you to believe or do I care. I can tell you now whether you like it or not the traffic was awful heavy this eve and I doubt they were all shopping. My work involves a lot of driving and I see it with my own eyes.

Some people are working too y'know. I don't think the traffic was heavier today than BEFORE the lockdown though. My work involves a lot of driving too. North and south. The traffic, whilst heavier than the early days of lockdown, is still not up to normal levels, nevermind heavier than normal like you've implied.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Jackman25 wrote: »
    All of them?

Nope, some in Seoul

Some people are working too y'know. I don't think the traffic was heavier today than BEFORE the lockdown though. My work involves a lot of driving too. North and south. The traffic, whilst heavier than the early days of lockdown, is still not up to normal levels, nevermind heavier than normal like you've implied.

Well come down around the midlands and have a look yourself. It definitely is pre lockdown here. I doubt too many were working after 9 pm. A few dudes going around in a packed car windows down with some jungle music blaring just there now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

And museums and restaurants.

As I replied to you earlier, restaurants are not closed - schools, museums, parks, and art galleries in the Seoul area only. Not the whole of South Korea.
    That's why South Korea were so successful all along, swift, controlled, targeted tracing and isolation - not locking up the entirety of a country.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/28/coronavirus-restrictions-return-in-south-korea-after-new-spike-in-covid-19-cases

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

It has been all week the traffic, I’m on the road a lot and I know what I’m talking about.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first half of your sentence but I'm on the road a lot and I know what I'm talking about too.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Well come down around the midlands and have a look yourself. It definitely is pre lockdown here.

...but you said it was heavier than before the lockdown and now it's just at pre lockdown levels. Which is it?

I'm not sure what you mean by the first half of your sentence but I'm on the road a lot and I know what I'm talking about too.

Typo, I meant to say the traffic has been heavier all week and in the evenings. People are driving around and I doubt it’s all essential travelling. You must be driving in a parallel universe then. As I said before the word “some” is without doubt subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

the kelt wrote: »
    I agree, there’s no chance of O Leary being that stupid.

But the pressure is starting to come on and rightly so, the likes of O Leary and others will be pushing more.

More and more people are looking at other countries and starting to ask questions and with lower cases and deaths daily fear doesn’t have the same effect it once had.

They're only looking at some countries though. Just in the travel thing, take a look at Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina as examples of places with more restrictive travel policies than us.

We were actually fairly lax with it, we should really have shut non essential travel into us back early March and then open it up coming into mid July and August, or at least joining the EU travel bubble at that point (I'd be fairly against allowing US people in ATM). Although, we're always going to be in dodgy terrrority in it considering our travel arrangements with UK after they made a meal of it. It won't surprise me if a lot or countries exclude us if they're excluding UK even if we have zero cases a day.

I'd love for travel to be back btw incase anyone says I'm only against it cos I've no plans to do anything. I had 7 flights out of Ireland for leisure reasons last year and have had to cancel/change 2 holidays this year between March and April and had preliminary plans to be Belgium or Netherlands this weekend. But, it is going to be dodgy. The plane is one thing but how do you social distance in Cork airport or in T2 in Dublin. And wearing a mask is going to be a bit of a nightmare security wise too. Airports are chaotic at the best of times, adding more chaos into it isn't going to be pretty.

• Advertisement

Typo, I meant to say the traffic has been heavier all week and in the evenings. People are driving around and I doubt it’s all essential travelling. You must be driving in a parallel universe then. As I said before the word “some” is without doubt subjective.

I don't disagree that traffic has been heavier in the past couple of weeks. I've said as much in an earlier post. It's not heavier than it was before the lockdown like you stated though. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

titan18 wrote: »
    They're only looking at some countries though. Just in the travel thing, take a look at Norway, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina as examples of places with more restrictive travel policies than us.

We were actually fairly lax with it, we should really have shut non essential travel into us back early March and then open it up coming into mid July and August, or at least joining the EU travel bubble at that point (I'd be fairly against allowing US people in ATM). Although, we're always going to be in dodgy terrrority in it considering our travel arrangements with UK after they made a meal of it. It won't surprise me if a lot or countries exclude us if they're excluding UK even if we have zero cases a day.

I'd love for travel to be back btw incase anyone says I'm only against it cos I've no plans to do anything. I had 7 flights out of Ireland for leisure reasons last year and have had to cancel/change 2 holidays this year between March and April and had preliminary plans to be Belgium or Netherlands this weekend. But, it is going to be dodgy. The plane is one thing but how do you social distance in Cork airport or in T2 in Dublin. And wearing a mask is going to be a bit of a nightmare security wise too. Airports are chaotic at the best of times, adding more chaos into it isn't going to be pretty.

Just to clarify I’m not talking about travel, I’m talking in terms of restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

It's weird there is a lot of cars parked and people driving around but when you go into the supermarkets or whatever they aren't that busy. People just seem to be driving around for the sake of it.

I don't disagree that traffic has been heavier in the past couple of weeks. I've said as much in an earlier post. It's not heavier than it was before the lockdown like you stated though. That's all I'm saying.

Even if it’s not it’s quite close but you are steering away from the actual point. The word SOME is subjective and I know for a fact there’s more people out there breaking the rules than you think there is. Take your head out of the sand and look around you. There’s not much lockdown out there.

bush wrote: »
    It's weird there is a lot of cars parked and people driving around but when you go into the supermarkets or whatever they aren't that busy. People just seem to be driving around for the sake of it.

There’s a lot of cars on the road the last couple of weeks. I can even hear how busy it is outside my window right now.

the kelt wrote: »
    Just to clarify I’m not talking about travel, I’m talking in terms of restrictions.

Fair enough. I do agree some restrictions should be loosened or at least moved forward one phase each. Hairdressers, cinemas could move forward a phase each imo, bars with outdoor areas could move to phase 3 imo but only allowed serve in the outdoor areas. Not sure of what examples in Dublin but somewhere like the Courtyard on Sober Lane or Deep South in Cork have large beer garden areas that would be fine to open imo (capacity limits of course). I'd probably allow cafes open in phase 2 but encourage outdoor seating and capacity limits indoors.

Things like nightclubs, indoor only bars that are pretty much just standing room like in Temple Bar, some sports and foreign travel are things that I find it hard to see how to open up for a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

titan18 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I do agree some restrictions should be loosened or at least moved forward one phase each. Hairdressers, cinemas could move forward a phase each imo, bars with outdoor areas could move to phase 3 imo but only allowed serve in the outdoor areas. Not sure of what examples in Dublin but somewhere like the Courtyard on Sober Lane or Deep South in Cork have large beer garden areas that would be fine to open imo (capacity limits of course). I'd probably allow cafes open in phase 2 but encourage outdoor seating and capacity limits indoors.

None of the above can move forward in a meaningful way until the 2m is reduced - it’s not possible

Goldengirl wrote: »
    O'Leary is too pragmatic to take such a case. He's just flying the proverbial kite
    Only those 2 other eejits thatcan't be named , would try to take a case like that in the beginning , middle or end of a worldwide pandemic

I doubt he’ll have to take a case anyhow because of how the rate of things are improving.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    None of the above can move forward in a meaningful way until the 2m is reduced - it’s not possible

I think the 2m is something that will reduce though. Might not be immediate but I definitely see it reduced by phase 3 at the latest. Tbh, I think very few are obeying it anyway, especially outdoors based on what I've seen. There's definitely going to be a limit needed indoors like in cinemas or restaurants. I know cinemas went with every second seat free unless related/couple etc in the weeks before lockdown so imagine same will happen on opening, and there'll be a lack of films out anyway so it'll be easy to do for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

bush wrote: »

A lot of people are losing faith in the need for the restrictions and the prolonged lifting of them and compliance is starting to waiver. The fear tactics only work for so long, particularly when other countries have eased up and showing no ill effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Posted on the main thread too, hospital numbers continue to decrease in relation to general beds needed for covid patients.

As of 18:30 42 in ICU witn confirmed covid, down from 45 yesterday, unfortunately from 10am yesterday to 10am today there were 2 ICU deaths.

In terms of acute hosptial general beds, 171 confirmed covid as of 8pm, down from 193 last night.

8 confirmed cases in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs, the same as yesterday, only 2 of which were in Dublin hospitals

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Beasty wrote: »

Talks of a 4th wave now:):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Will be at least five the way this is going lol

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

NotMOL wrote: »
    There is a small cafe in Smithfield doing this and it's right across the road from the Circuit Family Court.

I passed by it the other day and it was full of Solicitors sitting down for a coffee. I say fair play to the cafe..the tables were well spaced out and it's outdoors so it's literally the same as people sitting in a park!

Serving beers too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Serious point...stay with me for a minute. Sounds mental but might not be.

Why can't we do an A B experiment? Most people fall into one of two camps naturally. Why don't we allow people who want to return to normal to do so and those that want to remain isolated for whatever reason to do so also.

This phased approach would accomplish the following in my eyes

- reduce the burden on the health service if the worst were to happen by 50% thereby allowing it to cope should it need to.
    - lessen the economic hit by 50% with 50% of the human capital in operation
    - 100% of people would be happy in the short term at least and potential in the mid term.

Depending on how the experiment goes we could reopen or restrict

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Serious point...stay with me for a minute. Sounds mental but might not be.

Why can't we do an A B experiment? Most people fall into one of two camps naturally. Why don't we allow people who want to return to normal to do so and those that want to remain isolated for whatever reason to do so also.

This phased approach would accomplish the following in my eyes

- reduce the burden on the health service if the worst were to happen by 50% thereby allowing it to cope should it need to.
    - lessen the economic hit by 50% with 50% of the human capital in operation
    - 100% of people would be happy in the short term at least and potential in the mid term.

Depending on how the experiment goes we could reopen or restrict

Exactly. Give citizens back choice, while protecting most vulnerable

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's when we get to Phase X of relaxation of restrictions/re-opening that we'll realise we really did have something to get wound up about

...and over to the new thread it is

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement