Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options
  • 08-05-2020 7:10pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Part I
    Part II

All warnings and threadbans carry over

Mod warning added 09/05/20
    Beasty wrote: »
    It looks like tensions in this thread have been rising

Some general warnings to all:

Remain civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it's the polar opposite of your own does not invalidate it. Anyone who is uncivil towards other users can expect a minimum of a threadban.

Keep to the topic

Do not present "opinion" as "fact"

Do not believe all stats that are spouted. Usually figures presented in any official way are not only checked for inaccuracies, but will also have caveats and/or explanations of what was done to derive any conclusions reached. Stats though are not "facts" beyond the sample they represent. They can be used to draw conclusions over wider populations, but those conclusions are always subject to a margin of error

If you throw up an example please explain what point you are making. For example "Look at Sweden" means nothing unless you say what you are looking at in connection with Sweden. Is it restrictions, is it deaths, is it infections?

Warning added 27/05/20
    Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics

Threadbans:
    housemouse
    Plumbthedepths
    Cupatae
    CtevenSrowder
    Unelected CMO
    Risteard81
    trapp
    RugbyLad11
    normanoffside
    Jimmy Garlic
    alwald - lifted 16/05/20
    Jinglejangle69
    easypazz
    snowcat
    Spanish Eyes
    ziggyman17
    ShineOn7
    JoeExotic81
    The_Dazzler
    lawrencesummers
    LiquidZeb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Open up the pubs.
    Yahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Thought everything was full steam ahead already given what it was like out earlier ?

Must have missed the news.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

oops! Apologies - locked the wrong one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Did anyone here follow daily death totals, new cases, ICU capacity etc. during the Swine Flu epidemic (upper estimate of deaths 575,400)?

If you did, did you constantly warn people that we could have a second wave of Swine Flu comparable to the second wave of the Spanish flu of 1918?

Did you ask people 'How many people are you prepared to let die from Swine Flu?' Did we have better ICU facilities then or what? Were we marble-hearted villains indifferent to bodies piling up around us, only thinking about ourselves? I genuinely can't even remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Oh wow, i thought i was banned. I couldnt reply to any of previous thread posts for like 3 pages (doing catch up).

Phew.

So, speaking of lifting restrictions, below is from Tony, published today. If he thinks we have done well/better than others, surely we should lift restrictions and get back to normal life at same speed or quicker than others? I thought the purpose was to weather the storm and then open up quickly?

"
    Dr Holohan said Ireland has done as well if not better than other countries in western Europe. He said many of those countries have not been able to suppress the virus across the community in the way we have."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0508/1137180-coronavirus-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

"Dickie 10

so do people think we could be pushed back another 2 weeks of this on may 18th?"

Just carrying this over from the old thread. Yes, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they decided to extend another week or 2 depending how they feel the numbers are going. We're already getting the sound bites, similar in the lead up to May 5th.
    But this time I think there would be large scale disobedience, a lot of people I've talked to are gearing up to start back on the 18th regardless of what the government say, they can't take lack of income anymore.

Was out and about today. Walking past Broombridge bridge, 12 lads standing together, drinking, laughing. No social distancing in sight.

And then it hit me. It literally looked like an outdoor pub. They even had their own music, all looked to be 40 + and I thought that even when pubs re open, will people really bother going there if they have to be socially awkward? The atmosphere will be gone. If they sit close to each other or other people - they might get a stink eye from the waiter/ress etc etc or even reprimanded.

Point i am making is the longer businesses are not operating, the more consumers find other ways of replacing services/whatever they were getting from those businesses. So if restrictions arent lifted ahead of time, and some places open up in August, not a fact that they ll be able to even fill 50% of their allowed capacity?

I hate to say it but we gotta open up fast? Otherwise we ll have a society of drink at home, stay at home, netflix, junk cheap food from supermarket? Could have serious effect on the demographics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,295 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We were called in for a meeting today to be told half the employees were going to lose their jobs, there are a lot of good friends and colleagues of mine facing an uncertain future this evening.

Unfortunately we will see a lot more of this around the country as the Government is just turning a blind eye to the economic impact of this extended lockdown.

prunudo wrote: »
    "Dickie 10

so do people think we could be pushed back another 2 weeks of this on may 18th?"

Just carrying this over from the old thread. Yes, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they decided to extend another week or 2 depending how they feel the numbers are going. We're already getting the sound bites, similar in the lead up to May 5th.
    But this time I think there would be large scale disobedience, a lot of people I've talked to are gearing up to start back on the 18th regardless of what the government say, they can't take lack of income anymore.

That would be outrageous. I would go to merrion st (and i have essential worker letter) and start either my hunger strike or some sort of protest. I would leave a big rant here, probably get banned in the process. just joking, i contribute greatly here.

Below is another quote from Tony. There is a problem with this, most businesses operate on small margins, when you start reducing their capacity to operate by 50%, that 1 slap in the face. But now there are agencies out there that offer "Covid monitor" services. An individual who will come in and do the social distancing/governments guidance. I genuinely struggle to see anyone wanting to open up their own hospitality/consumer facing business.....

"
    Dr Holohan said the NPHET has a job to do - to give the public advice and wants to ensure that each sector puts in place their own plans to deliver services in line with that advice."

We were called in for a meeting today to be told half the employees were going to lose their jobs, there are a lot of good friends and colleagues of mine facing an uncertain future this evening.

Unfortunately we will see a lot more of this around the country as the Government is just turning a blind eye to the economic impact of this extended lockdown.

Very sorry to hear :mad::mad::mad:

Without giving much details is it a multinational company?

This is absolutely heart breaking. and it is quite clear that whatever business support government is offering, is simply not working. The whole "we ll give you interest free or low interest loan" is just not attractive.

someone from FG or FF surely must read this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Like a normal summers Friday evening out there with kids playing etc. Getting very hard to convince the kids to stay in now. Cars out everywhere lockdown is faltering imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Like lots of people have said from the beginning of the lockdown it's our choice to be on lockdown. I was out earlier today and from what I saw a lot more people are choosing not to lockdown. There isn't enough gardai out there to stop everyone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

macnug wrote: »
    Like a normal summers Friday evening out there with kids playing etc. Getting very hard to convince the kids to stay in now. Cars out everywhere lockdown is faltering imo.

I can't see for the life of me how imprisoning people for the best weather in years is for the health benefit if the nation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's been like that for the last week. More shops reopening in my area also.

The people moved to implement their own precautions before advised and the CMO said they didn't want to see the same happen with reopening. Sorry too late for that. For most businesses its reopen in some way now or possibly never reopen.

They can keep saying compliance is high as much as they want but its absolutely nowhere near what it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

We really are a whinging generation.

Can you imagine say when London was getting bombed during the Blitz that people would complain about having to go to shelters, children getting evacuated and men having to go off to war to fight the evils of nazism. Nah, they had a fecking backbone and did what was needed.

Here some of our population are whining and moaning endlessly about having to sit home and watch TV. Which is all we have to do to stop the biggest crisis facing our generation.

Really sad!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

growleaves wrote: »
    Did anyone here follow daily death totals, new cases, ICU capacity etc. during the Swine Flu epidemic (upper estimate of deaths 575,400)?

If you did, did you constantly warn people that we could have a second wave of Swine Flu comparable to the second wave of the Spanish flu of 1918?
    I don't think there was anywhere near the attention given to Swine Flu as this one is getting

I have little doubt the ability to collate and share data is much more straightforward than it was even back in 2009. The way this whole topic has evolved is different to anything I've seen in my near 60 years.

The other think about any flu is the vaccine technology is there. This was "novel" in a few ways. I actually remember SARS more vividly than Swine Flu, and in particular how unusual it was to see Asians walking round with face masks. That virus never took hold in the West though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Kids generally need parental direction. If that is absent...

gozunda wrote: »
    Kids generally need parental direction. If that is absent...

Yep, some of the sons friends were out on the green playing and called for him. His mother said not just yet to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Happened in my company wednesday.
    We'd already furloughed our UK staff since April 1st. Everyone else on a 3 day week.
    Then a chunk of Irish staff moved onto the wage subsidy this week (furlough)

We've all but turned the lights off, 60% of staff are not working.
    If the company does survive its likely be significantly trimmed down but tbh its probably 50/50 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,295 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Very sorry to hear :mad::mad::mad:

Without giving much details is it a multinational company?

This is absolutely heart breaking. and it is quite clear that whatever business support government is offering, is simply not working. The whole "we ll give you interest free or low interest loan" is just not attractive.

someone from FG or FF surely must read this?

No not a multinational.

It's frightening to think how many businesses may be gone by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Oh wow, i thought i was banned. I couldnt reply to any of previous thread posts for like 3 pages (doing catch up).

Phew.

Same!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

These American extremists/simpletons are a good moral compass i.e. do the opposite of what these lunatics do

We really are a whinging generation.

Can you imagine say when London was getting bombed during the Blitz that people would complain about having to go to shelters, children getting evacuated and men having to go off to war to fight the evils of nazism. Nah, they had a fecking backbone and did what was needed.

Here some of our population are whining and moaning endlessly about having to sit home and watch TV. Which is all we have to do to stop the biggest crisis facing our generation.

Really sad!

Londoners only went into shelters during bombing raids then they came out again. Throughout the 39-45 war, including during the London Blitz bombings, they kept open schools and universities, examinations, arts (theatre, opera, music, dance), museums, book shops, scientific research, live sports etc.

A grown man who wanted to confine people in shelters indefinitely in order to "save lives" would not have been listened to in the 1940s, you can be certain of that.

These American extremists/simpletons are a good moral compass i.e. do the opposite of what these lunatics do

You must not have watched the video through. It covers protests in Stuttgart, Munich and Berlin - not just California, Maine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Just Posting this again because I think it's important

I can see why schools aren't opening, seems like a deadly virus among children and working age adults :rolleyes:

Imagine what the death rates would actually be like if they actually captured all the positives? Since they are only testing the vulnerable, Health care workers and those that present seriously ill in hospital.

I can only assume those under 20 tested were contact traced etc.

On a conservative guess that 1 in 10 of actual cases have been detected (probably more like 1 in 40/50 in reality) even for the 55-65 y/o group the virus has a mortality rate of 55 from 30,000

That's a mortality rate of 0.18% amongst 55-65 Year olds.

If you take the figure on face value and assume that every single 55-65 year old who has had the disease has been tested, then the mortality rate for that age group is still only 1.8%

EXgsRqhWAAUyTRE.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Londoners only went into shelters during bombing raids then they came out again. Throughout the 39-45 war, including during the London Blitz bombings, they kept open schools and universities, examinations, arts (theatre, opera, music, dance), museums, book shops, scientific research, live sports etc.

A grown man who wanted to confine people in shelters indefinitely in order to "save lives" would not have been listened to in the 1940s, you can be certain of that.

That ability to incite fear has never been higher, always on access to news (even if its wrong). The requirement on the vast majority of news sources to be first rather than right its a huge issue.

Then you've got the spread of every type of "expert" and when you dig into it, the guy/girl did a semester of biology/physics etc but they're message/agenda has been picked up by sheep/tin foil hat brigade and retweeted to be mainstream.

And also.. no one wants to be labelled the guy that did nothing. Look at how weather warnings have become such big things the last 2/3 years.
    5-10 years ago, if there was a storm you'll be told as much and expected to use good judgement to stay in the doors and not going chainsawing stuff while its still blowing 100kph.

Now, parks close, buses shut down early etc all because people are too stupid to use their own common sense. And the people giving this information out don't want to be sued so we go into lockdown. Yellow weather warning closes the parks around me, even though on the walking paths there's no trees so even if one fell over it wouldn't hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't think there was anywhere near the attention given to Swine Flu as this one is getting

I have little doubt the ability to collate and share data is much more straightforward than it was even back in 2009. The way this whole topic has evolved is different to anything I've seen in my near 60 years.

The other think about any flu is the vaccine technology is there. This was "novel" in a few ways. I actually remember SARS more vividly than Swine Flu, and in particular how unusual it was to see Asians walking round with face masks. That virus never took hold in the West though

I think that is at least partially - why the likes of South Korea, Taiwan and other countries who had experienced Swine Flu and SARS from the very beginning took this outbreak much more seriously than we did here. And it has to be said they have greatly benefitted from this.

I remember some of comments in the original Covid Thread which not only claimed there was no issue, but that it could never come here, then that we would only get a handful of cases and so on - to the point where apparently we still have complete denial of the damage that the disease can pose to the society as whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

From the beginning Leo said a lockdown could not be in place too soon as it cannot last long and if implemented too soon it wouldn’t last to get over the peak
    They absolutely know that the lockdown starts to collapse after a certain lenght of time and we have reached that point now.
    They knew all along that four or five weeks was the max that it would be adhered to and I am sure that they dragged it out these two weeks knowing well it would slowly collapse

• Advertisement

I actually remember SARS more vividly than Swine Flu, and in particular how unusual it was to see Asians walking round with face masks. That virus never took hold in the West though

I remember SARS as well due to the media attention it received.

I got a flu vaccine during the year of Swine Flu (maybe the vaccine was for normal strains of influenza?) as there was a muted sense of there being some danger in the background.

The last thing close to a panic I remember was when the Iraqi army invaded Kuwait City in 1990. This was before Saddam Huessin was considered a joke - people were genuinely scared of what he would/could do but its forgotten now. It was thought he would bomb Europe with missiles and I remember RTE panelists (seriously) discussing the possibility of Ireland being bombed. Genuine worry and fear in the air but nothing like as bad as covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement