Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

nickkinneg wrote: »
    Worryingly there is reports of cases in Jilin? Provence on the border of Russia where the virus is behaving differently longer incubation period and they are not presenting with High temperatures

Source?

The latest research is the virus isn't mutating noticeably if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

El Tarangu wrote: »
    So, Alan Kelly can't proffer an opinion on something because he isn't a public health expert, but then when actual public health experts give advice, you disregard that, too :confused:

No.....the WHO is a global organisation, between the HSE, our infectious disease experts, etc, they can decide what we as a country need to do. Not Alan Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

No.....the WHO is a global organisation, between the HSE, our infectious disease experts, etc, they can decide what we as a country need to do. Not Alan Kelly.

The idea of just accepting what the HSE or any expert is madness.
    Experts tend to see things through the narrow prism of their expertise.
    Great advice in theory but in practical terms not always the best.
    sometimes even outright insanity.

Dr Tony wants to kill off covid. He cares only for covid. He doesn't see or seem to understand the wider implications of his actions.
    He isn't wrong per-se just misguided (imo) and as a TD Alan Kelly is 100% doing his job to question the advice.

Can't believe I'm defending AK who is a utter madman himself.
    but these are unprecedented times

nickkinneg wrote: »
    Worryingly there is reports of cases in Jilin? Provence on the border of Russia where the virus is behaving differently longer incubation period and they are not presenting with High temperatures

Answered already but...if people are not getting high temperatures the virus is likely not hitting them as hard as immune response is not as strong, Also, those same reports also suggest the latest "strain" only hits the lungs and not other organs. So, actually less worrying. There reports are actually only anecdotes though, and the case numbers in Jilin are low - zero yesterday for example.

I don't know if you're right or not, but I think we shouldn't be listening to random internet people when it comes to these sort of things.

I'd sooner listen to the OP than that chancer Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Penfailed wrote: »
    The travel restriction doesn't apply in this situation.

I know that is why i travel. I informed myself i didnt just accept what some misinformed Garda or Joe Soap happened to say as many others seemed to have done. Such a scary thing to see the masses shutdown as they have done and many are still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭dalyboy

alta stare wrote: »
    I know that is why i travel. I informed myself i didnt just accept what some misinformed Garda or Joe Soap happened to say as many others seemed to have done. Such a scary thing to see the masses shutdown as they have done and many are still at it.

I’m in your shoes too regarding my kids. I travelled daily 30km round trip Monday to Friday ever since this started. I never met a Garda road block but if I did I’d just ask them where in legislation does it say kids should not be allowed to see their Father. Their well being is my number one job full stop. I’ve a cousin who does the opposite. He’s too busy being scared and lying under his bed in the fetal position suckling off whatever BS the government or RTÉ fear mongers to him. He hasn’t seen his daughter since the 30th of March. A lot of people need to understand the word “priority”

growleaves wrote: »
    Professor Killeen warning of a possible four years of restrictions.

It seems its the crowded gatherings where the issue is. If an infected person is in the same room as 1 other person, they might infect that one other person. If they are in the same room as 50 other people, they might infect 10 others, if no precautions are taken.

Personally, I can't see coronavirus being with us for 4 years. We will get better at dealing with it. We may need one or two temporary lockdowns at economically quiet times of the year. Treatment should improve and hopefully a vaccine will start to give us some form of herd immunity in 2021. A combination of all these should hopefully kill it off.

dalyboy wrote: »
    I’m in your shoes too regarding my kids. I travelled daily 30km round trip Monday to Friday ever since this started. I never met a Garda road block but if I did I’d just ask them where in legislation does it say kids should not be allowed to see their Father. Their well being is my number one job full stop. I’ve a cousin who does the opposite. He’s too busy being scared and lying under his bed in the fetal position suckling off whatever BS the government or RTÉ fear mongers to him. He hasn’t seen his daughter since the 30th of March. A lot of people need to understand the word “priority

That's really sad. He should go see his daughter.

The scaremongers have scared people into thinking they are committing mass murder every time they step outside the door. The odds of causing even one death are miniscule, especially at present. If he follows precautions and meets her outdoors, he's reduced the risk to a negligible level.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

It is truly frightening the amount of people that have outsourced their critical thinking to politicians and bureaucrats.

I remember the morning after the initial lockdown announcement, there was a guy on here wondering if he could travel back home from Dublin to his wife and kids.

Some people are just more comfortable being told what to do all the time.

Thanks that is actually a great point. I have been grappling with the mentality of people or advocates who want to keep things locked down and their motives for doing so. But you hit the nail on the head. Some people are more comfortable being told what to do than making decisions for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Good news, a start anyways

"More than 34,000 people are understood to have closed their claim for the Government’s special €350 coronavirus unemployment payment last week to allow them to go back to work.There were 585,000 receiving the payment last week."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-more-than-34-000-closed-claim-for-unemployment-payment-last-week-1.4261806?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fcoronavirus-more-than-34-000-closed-claim-for-unemployment-payment-last-week-1.4261806

AND EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!

"The Government will consider accelerating the lifting of Covid-19 restrictions if the number of new cases continues to decline, with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar mulling making an announcement in early June on easing aspects of the lockdown.

While senior sources stressed that such a move would be entirely dependent on further progress in containing the disease, the internal debate in the Government reflects the growing pressure coming from business groups and several Ministers who favour a quicker relaxing of the measures."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-s-coronavirus-restrictions-may-lift-more-quickly-if-case-numbers-keep-falling-1.4261412?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fireland-s-coronavirus-restrictions-may-lift-more-quickly-if-case-numbers-keep-falling-1.4261412

Either our antics here, or individuals from this thread spamming their TDs, are getting the job done.

PS Look at the photo from the 2nd article of Grafton St 23rd of May, 16/16 people with faces visible arent wearing a mask. Laws of averages didnt apply to d pic

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

PS Look at the photo from the 2nd article of Grafton St 23rd of May, 16/16 people with faces visible arent wearing a mask. Laws of averages didnt apply to d pic

I haven't seen many people wearing face masks in Dublin, I'd reckon at most 5% of people are wearings masks. Went to the shops yesterday (B&Q, M&S and Tesco in Liffey Valley), very, very few people wearing masks.

Took the bus and no one wore masks, even though masks are recommended on public transport and our buses have horrible ventilation. I did wear a mask but fortunately no one stared at me as I felt like an alien!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

"More than 34,000 people are understood to have closed their claim for the Government’s special €350 coronavirus unemployment payment last week to allow them to go back to work.There were 585,000 receiving the payment last week."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-more-than-34-000-closed-claim-for-unemployment-payment-last-week-1.4261806?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fcoronavirus-more-than-34-000-closed-claim-for-unemployment-payment-last-week-1.4261806

AND EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!

"The Government will consider accelerating the lifting of Covid-19 restrictions if the number of new cases continues to decline, with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar mulling making an announcement in early June on easing aspects of the lockdown.

While senior sources stressed that such a move would be entirely dependent on further progress in containing the disease, the internal debate in the Government reflects the growing pressure coming from business groups and several Ministers who favour a quicker relaxing of the measures."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ireland-s-coronavirus-restrictions-may-lift-more-quickly-if-case-numbers-keep-falling-1.4261412?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fireland-s-coronavirus-restrictions-may-lift-more-quickly-if-case-numbers-keep-falling-1.4261412

Either our antics here, or individuals from this thread spamming their TDs, are getting the job done.

Did you see the pic of Leo in the park from the weekend, dressed only in shorts in close proximity to his mates swilling beer? I think you should take a look. Another one above social distancing while telling the rest of us to observe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

I am willing to wear whatever they wish on top of my head if they ease the restrictions and go back to cancer/diabetes retina damage screening

Did you see the pic of Leo in the park from the weekend, dressed only in shorts in close proximity to his mates swilling beer? I think you should take a look. Another one above social distancing while telling the rest of us to observe it.

I did see it, i'd love for it to be true. We then would only need Tony cervical check emptying cans in public topless and then we can officially lift all the restrictions :)

I did see it, i'd love for it to be true. We then would only need Tony cervical check emptying cans in public topless and then we can officially lift all the restrictions :)

Um Its a photo of Leo, its true alright lol. but no I hope Tony leaves his clothes on, I think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Um Its a photo of Leo, its true alright lol. but no I hope Tony leaves his clothes on, I think he will.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of the lockdown merchants going round painting murals of him in superhero costumes had uhm, "private artwork".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just listening to Ciara Kelly on about the stalls in the English Market in Cork. Surely the stall owners have internet and can advertise and sell their wares online?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

AND EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS!

Doubt the government care about people on boards.
    They are watching europe and following their steps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Don't flatter yourself. Nothing you've posted is 'getting the job done'. Spamming? No. Lobbying TDs may be helping. Have you done it yet?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Doubt the government care about people on boards.
    They are watching europe and following their steps

What Europe are they watching? Well they better watch more closely as on what kind of planet do Czech republic allow 300 people public gatherings while we cant get a haircut on our island for another 2 months.

Denmark opening primary schools on 14th of April while we confine our children to 5/20km for 4 months and no school for 6 months.

I better stop, this is supposed to be a good day with good news. speaking of

"The Irish Hairdressers Federation wants hairdressers to be able come back to work earlier than planned.

It is recommending the Government open salons on June 29
    ."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/were-already-well-equipped-hairdressers-preparing-plan-for-safe-early-reopening-1001499.html

They hoarded a lot of PPE earlier in the year and have been well positioned to open. Good for them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Just listening to Ciara Kelly on about the stalls in the English Market in Cork. Surely the stall owners have internet and can advertise and sell their wares online?
    Well that comes with an expense but with a stall you don't need to be known - having your wares on display will get a lot more attention than having people trying to search for you.

I mean what's wrong with an open-air market once precautions are in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What Europe are they watching? Well they better watch more closely as on what kind of planet do Czech republic allow 300 people public gatherings while we cant get a haircut on our island for another 2 months.

Denmark opening primary schools on 14th of April while we confine our children to 5/20km for 4 months and no school for 6 months.

I better stop, this is supposed to be a good day with good news. speaking of

"The Irish Hairdressers Federation wants hairdressers to be able come back to work earlier than planned.

It is recommending the Government open salons on June 29
    ."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/were-already-well-equipped-hairdressers-preparing-plan-for-safe-early-reopening-1001499.html

They hoarded a lot of PPE earlier in the year and have been well positioned to open. Good for them.

I think we all know what Tony is going to say to that

?width=580&version=2054707

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think we all know what Tony is going to say to that

?width=580&version=2054707

Hairdresser's response:

GL1VTVwYUKnyQmfUGWzsj3pixDJ7Sk_occEVinjc-TbbIekybKvGIWTuEIlpV6nO7daNpBJ0eyhVBYl3EOCh3vvyNd-y4uLrO_7dMZYXBQRciSTj8oiqqg2KYi-fM9GJWu6ByVjgQKvwsG4bgw2gubO81isHAXlOKPk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

plodder wrote: »
    I think a second wave probably is inevitable, but I don't see how staying in lockdown at this time will prevent it. We need to get the economy moving so we can prepare for future waves.

Exactly, a lockdown is not a preventative measure.

It is a short term measure that should only be used to avoid imminent catastrophe

Penfailed wrote: »
    Don't flatter yourself. Nothing you've posted is 'getting the job done'. Spamming? No. Lobbying TDs may be helping. Have you done it yet?

Leo is my TD. I did spam him but hes too busy drinking beers in Phoenix park.

Also you ll never be happy with me :( its like I am one of those chefs from US hells kitchen and you are gordon ramsay.

YFlyer wrote: »

English Market mostly sells food, fish, veg, meats and all sorts of other good stuff. Unfortunately doesn't lend itself to online but not sure why they are not opened just like supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

English Market mostly sells food, fish, veg, meats and all sorts of other good stuff. Unfortunately doesn't lend itself to online but not sure why they are not opened just like supermarkets.

English Market is opened

AFAIK it never stopped

Limited hours but majority of stalls open

Chicken Inn there is great and some of the butchers do rings of Clon Black Pudding

Makes my weekend fry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That wasn't him in the park was it, I presume it's an old photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

niallo27 wrote: »
    That wasn't him in the park was it, I presume it's an old photo.

why would you assume that?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taoiseach-was-in-line-with-public-health-guidance-while-sunbathing-in-phoenix-park-1001539.html
    A spokesperson for the Taoiseach said: "The Taoiseach was in the Phoenix Park with his partner Matt and two friends on Sunday Afternoon, in line with public health guidance.”

“He was within 5km of the Stewards Lodge, where he is staying during the Covid Emergency."

interestingly they only mention the 5km rule not the 2m rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement