Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Darwin is it you? ;)

Great article RE covid disappearing. it genuinely has ran out of steam big time, Brazil feels like the only place on the planet (+South korean nightclubs) where covid still lingers

Will screen shot this, just in case it comes back which i hope it doesn't.

70 kids tested positive in french primary schools last week, small number but they got to trace those 70 now and hope its contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Can further the test in South America ? Just thinking outside the box like

No lol thats unethical.

Basically below is the mainpoint from the article

He told The Sunday Telegraph: "It's a race against the virus disappearing, and against time. We said earlier in the year that there was an 80% chance of developing an effective vaccine by September.

"But at the moment, there's a 50% chance that we get no result at all. We're in the bizarre position of wanting COVID to stay, at least for a little while."

Basically, open the country and stop messing around, not even for 1 day more.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

GooglePlus wrote: »
    He's just as entitled to do it as anyone else but of course the mob will come out in force.

There’s a difference between being entitled to do something and it being appropriate in the wider context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

RobitTV wrote: »
    Coronavirus 'disappearing' so fast Oxford vaccine has 'only 50% chance of working'

There is only a 50% chance of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine working because cases in the UK are declining so fast, one of the scientists behind it has warned.

Okay lads I propose mass cough-ins. Everyone packs into a tight space and starts spluttering all over everyone else. For the good of the vaccine! I do wonder though if we could see a repeat of SARS where it dies off before a vaccine is created.

No lol thats unethical.

Basically below is the mainpoint from the article

He told The Sunday Telegraph: "It's a race against the virus disappearing, and against time. We said earlier in the year that there was an 80% chance of developing an effective vaccine by September.

"But at the moment, there's a 50% chance that we get no result at all. We're in the bizarre position of wanting COVID to stay, at least for a little while."

Basically, open the country and stop messing around, not even for 1 day more.

You mean no money for the brit's if they moved testing to South America.:D:D

• Advertisement

There’s a difference between being entitled to do something and it being appropriate in the wider context.

You mean showing people how to lower your stress levels by relaxing a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

And then the drone delivers to your door - no need to engage with anyone at all.

Meanwhile I will be down in the real market. And maybe for fun I might get a sling shot and shoot down those drones....

It is while this pandemic is active.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Coronavirus 'disappearing' so fast Oxford vaccine has 'only 50% chance of working'

There is only a 50% chance of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine working because cases in the UK are declining so fast, one of the scientists behind it has warned.
    This seems very defeatist, really they couldn't just send the tests to some place in the developing world which will inevitable still be riddled with covid by the time that vaccine is made?

This is the problem, it looks like in most countries regardless of restrictions it seems to stagnate and then go down in terms of case numbers, is it simply burning out? Who knows. But in terms of vaccine development it's not good, can't test a vaccine if nobody is getting infected

Where has this burnt out where there were no restrictions ? Please for the love of god do not say Sweden

wakka12 wrote: »
    This seems very defeatist, really they couldn't just send the tests to some place in the developing world which will inevitable still be riddled with covid by the time that vaccine is made?

You sound unhappy covid is disappearing quickly, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

That's a strange thing to say (link is broken by the way). Are they saying it just won't be needed, or that they won't be able to prove it is safe and effective?

If the latter, then it seems they are talking about using 'human challenge trials' where people are deliberately infected with it. There's even a website for people to volunteer for it. https://1daysooner.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They're saying they won't be able to prove it's effective. Human challenge trials are a last resort due to the ethical issues involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where has this burnt out where there were no restrictions ? Please for the love of god do not say Sweden

I said burning out, look all over Europe, there's no resurgence visible once restrictions have been lifted regardless of when they were put in place, small case numbers yes but surge no. Is it possible its burning out, maybe but we can't say it is as fact. They need 10,000 people to test the vacinne in phase 3 and to actually have a good chance of being exposed to covid, if the levels of infection are low the chance of being exposed to it are low.

They could test it in this present moment in the likes of Brazil where case numbers are still high.

The alternative is challenge trials which would be controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Okay lads I propose mass cough-ins. Everyone packs into a tight space and starts spluttering all over everyone else. For the good of the vaccine! I do wonder though if we could see a repeat of SARS where it dies off before a vaccine is created.

It's not dying off at all and is still increasing, the record day globally was just a couple of days ago with 105,000 cases in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Albert12

I am willing to wear whatever they wish on top of my head if they ease the restrictions and go back to cancer/diabetes retina damage screening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Why isn't it appropriate?

Should all our government officials be locked into Leinster House until this whole thing blows over, just in case they try and live a life outside of their job?

If it's appropriate for us to do it, it's appropriate for him.

People just annoyed at their own situation and they need a vent, they'll always find something to shake their first at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

People keep saying a second wave is inevitable

I've yet to see any evidence that backs up this claim

You sound unhappy covid is disappearing quickly, why?

I'm not unhappy, but it's just not true that it has burnt out regardless of restrictions. It burnt out where there was large scale intervention only, but there were harsh measures put in place almost everywhere there was a large outbreak so it is hard to be able to say . Brazil and Mexico are the only 'control group' in this regard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Because Pat Kenny is a fearmonger who would be happy if we locked down forever. He cant stop going on about 'plumes' of COVID

Pat Kenny has made a show of himself during this. He used be my favourite current affairs broadcster but he has completely lost the plot, looking for danger everywhere. Last week, he was worrying about mechanics having to handle car keys.

• Advertisement

I’ve no problem in principle with the Taoiseach drinking in the park but it does have an air of fiddling while Rome burns.

Wasn't yesterday Sunday? I'm not Leo Varadkars biggest fan but surely he's allowed a day off?? Yesterday was a fantastic day - glad he was able to get out and enjoy it. Way too much fearmongering !

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's not dying off at all and is still increasing, the record day globally was just a couple of days ago with 105,000 cases in 24 hours.

It is dying off.

Remember BBC banging the drum "it took 4 weeks to reach 1 million, 2 weeks to reach 2 million, 1 week to reach 3 million" etc etc. that is gone out the window.

Number of recovered cases already exceeds number of live cases in Europe. (that means less people have it and more people recover, AKA going away)

4 deaths and 57 new cases yesterday, is it dying off in Ireland too? yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm not unhappy, but it's just not true that it has burnt out regardless of restrictions. It burnt out where there was large scale intervention only

Its regardless as to when restrictions were introduced. The lifespan is similar in multiple countries in terms of when peak was reached after restrictions imposed.

Restrictions lifted in Denmark for example and Austria more than a month ago, where is the surge ? There hasn't been one, there are low case numbers yes but it's not as prevalent in either countries as it was, this despite various business and services resuming weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Stark wrote: »
    They're saying they won't be able to prove it's effective. Human challenge trials are a last resort due to the ethical issues involved.
    Yeah, the article below says it's that the specific trials they have underway might not produce a result. That headline makes it sound like they are just throwing in the towel. I didn't realise it but 'human challenge trials' are not that unusual. The ethical problems here would be around the fact that there is no known treatment, and some people however young and healthy would still get sick. Seems plenty of people would like to volunteer anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/23/oxford-university-covid-19-vaccine-trial-has-50-per-cent-chance/

UK down to double digits today..... only 77 deaths. Thats an amazing improvement!! Take positive news when you get it, surely this is a reason for some celebration. Sadly there are people here who thrive on death, negativity and feamongering.

Its regardless as to when restrictions were introduced. The lifespan is similar in multiple countries in terms of when peak was reached after restrictions imposed.

Restrictions lifted in Denmark for example and Austria more than a month ago, where is the surge ? There hasn't been one, there are low case numbers yes but it's not as prevalent in either countries as it was, this despite various business and services resuming weeks ago

Even Noble winning scientist backs up your claim of, you know, reach the peak, then it goes away

"Lockdown saved no lives and may have cost them, Nobel Prize winner believes Professor Michael Levitt of Stanford University predicts that the UK will be rid of Covid-19 within weeks"

Michael Levitt, a Stanford University professor who correctly predicted the initial trajectory of the pandemic, sent messages to Professor Neil Ferguson in March telling the influential government advisor he had over-estimated the potential death toll by "10 or 12 times".

The Imperial College professor's modelling, a major factor in the Government's apparent abandoning of a so-called herd-immunity policy, was part of an unnecessary "panic virus" which spread among global political leaders, Prof Levitt now tells the Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/23/lockdown-saved-no-lives-may-have-cost-nobel-prize-winner-believes/

This is all good news btw. We need not spend 1 more second discussing "injecting people with covid to keep the oxford vaccine trial going" listen to yourselves.....(not you in particular btw!)

Yes it is looking positive, but I would say that there is no second wave because of the measures in place to stop that and very little to do with the virus naturally burning out, the low level of antibodies in the population make the natural burn out theory very unlikely .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

RTE will have to ramp up the scaremongering later as things turn more and more positive.

George Lee: The second wave is here. Millions are going perish and you only have yourselves to blame. Tony Holohan is set to announce the phased plan will last until Christmas of 2022.

hamburgham wrote: »
    Pat Kenny has made a show of himself during this. He used be my favourite current affairs broadcster but he has completely lost the plot, looking for danger everywhere. Last week, he was worrying about mechanics having to handle car keys.

I completely agree. I am normally a huge fan of Pat Kenny but what has happened him lately?? He has been locked up broadcasting from home since 12th March! He is 72 so virtually cocooning. He seems to have completely lost the art of balanced debate recently. Its masks, masks, masks, social isolating, holding firm, criticizing teenagers in groups, yes those pesky car keys that mechanics have to handle and today the Professor of Permanent Doom once again. That interview with the professor was terrible, rambling and short on actual points and facts.

For the first time recently I think Pat Kenny is losing his perspective and losing his sharpness. I hate to say this but I have noticed this with family members (younger than Pat) who have been completely isolated and cocooned since the beginning. They are absolutely petrified of getting Covid and they live in Donegal. Haven't been to a supermarket even once in 9 weeks (deliveries!). There is no talking to them, they are living in huge fear of contracting Covid.

I am blue in the face telling them this virus is NOT rampant in the community, in fact its almost been erradicated. Its NOT rampant in supermarkets. You just need to feel the fear and do it anyway (i.e. leave your house and go somewhere!) Pat needs to do this too. ;) The longer you are isolated the more fearful you are of resuming any kind of life it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I never said it was, I was saying it might eventually reach the same stage as SARS where it eventually dies off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement