Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

enricoh wrote: »
    I see on the front page of the Sunday times overseas organised crime gangs are exploiting loopholes in the system and claiming multiple payments.
    Ah sure they might come here and spend it on a holiday!

The moronic government only has themselves to blame for this and stuff like that lad in Mullingar getting it into 6 bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Of course it was open to abuse when you don’t even need a PPS number to claim it, i.e. illegal immigrants are entitled to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Of course it was as open to abuse when you don’t even need a PPS number to claim it, i.e. illegal immigrants are entitled to it

Are you serious,???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

The moronic government only has themselves to blame for this and stuff like that lad in Mullingar getting it into 6 bank accounts.

They won't be blaming themselves that's for sure they will be blaming me and you who will be paying it back from now till eternity.I think the morons is us and everyone on this site who is continuing to encourage this free for all.

Steer55 wrote: »
    Are you serious,???

Yep, see link https://www.mrci.ie/2020/03/30/covid19-social-welfare-supports-for-workers/

“If I am undocumented can I apply for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

The Department has advised that everyone affected by the Covid-19 who satisfies the below criteria, can apply for the payment irrespective of their immigration status:

Employees and self-employed people who lost their job or have been laid off due to the COVID-19

AND

Employees and self-employed people who have a valid PPSN number and an active personal Irish bank account

Note: There is no stipulation to say the employee has to be registered for tax purposes.”

• Advertisement

What, you not asked to give your PPS number in the application, I find that very hard to believe.

If that's the case, we lucky half the world didn't apply for it. They will never catch the fraudsters if that's the case. I heard in the news earlier, those who were earning less than 350 a week before Covid are going to be moved to Job seekers end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Of course it was was open to abuse when you don’t even need a PPS number to claim it, i.e. illegal immigrants are entitled to it

On the application form there is a space for your PPS number.

jrosen wrote: »
    On the application form there is a space for your PPS number.

Yes, for those who have one. See my previous post where it states that you do not require a PPS number if you are an illegal immigrant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Yes, for those who have one. See my previous post where it states that you do not require a PPS number if you are an illegal immigrant

Apologies I didnt see the other post.

Did he get away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Did he get away with it?

Even if he did not, there are possibly others who are. It is wrong to give illegal immigrants 350 per week, and it is wrong to give students who may only have worked a few Saturdays 350 per week. What a mess.

Did he get away with it?

Until he got caught, God knows how many others have gotten away with it, only in Ireland......

Until he got caught, God knows how many others have gotten away with it, only in Ireland......

Until they get caught. It is a short term emergency payment given in good faith. It’s only now that the department are getting around to examine all claims. Only in Ireland would greedy people abuse the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You didn’t even read your own link. Of course you had to have a PPSN to claim. Most illegal immigrants have PPSNs.
    The levels of ignorance on this thread have now reached an unbelievable level. It’s cringe making.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would agree with this and would like to know why Paschal is crying about interest rates when they are only going negative in the foreseeable future .

Although the ST interest rate is set by the ECB, long-term bond yields are not under the direct control of the ECB.

Bond yields can rise, making new debt more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

That definitely was not the case on the form
    I filled. You had to fill in your PPS. The only way an immigrant could have had this is if they came here legally initially and had a PPS number and then overstayed their visa.

I’m also required to show my PSC with my PPS number every week when I pick mine up.

KiKi III wrote: »
    That definitely was not the case on the form
    I filled. You had to fill in your PPS. The only way an immigrant could have had this is if they came here legally initially and had a PPS number and then overstayed their visa.

I’m also required to show my PSC with my PPS number every week when I pick mine up.

I know nothing about the form tbh, as I’ve not had to fill it in, but it’s clearly out there if you google it, that illegal immigrants can claim the payment.

Here’s another article (I know nothing about this website): https://gript.ie/social-protection-migrants-dole/

I know nothing about the form tbh, as I’ve not had to fill it in, but it’s clearly out there if you google it, that illegal immigrants can claim the payment.

Here’s another article (I know nothing about this website): https://gript.ie/social-protection-migrants-dole/

Well I’ve been through the process and I can tell you that your information is not accurate.

Well I’ve been through the process and I can tell you that your information is not accurate.

Well maybe the process you went through is different to someone with no PPS number. It clearly states online that you do not need a PPS number, nor be working here legally to claim the payment

Yep, see link https://www.mrci.ie/2020/03/30/covid19-social-welfare-supports-for-workers/

The Department has advised that everyone affected by the Covid-19 who satisfies the below criteria, can apply for the payment irrespective of their immigration status:

Employees and self-employed people who lost their job or have been laid off due to the COVID-19

AND

Employees and self-employed people who have a valid PPSN number and an active personal Irish bank account

Note: There is no stipulation to say the employee has to be registered for tax purposes.”

You have literally copied over the conditions here. As it says in YOUR post the conditions are that you have been laid off due to Covid 19 AND have a valid PPSN and an active Irish bank account.

You’ve literally copied and pasted in your own post the part where they say having a PPSN is a requirement.

And to think people like you are allowed to vote...

Please go and read the link YOU posted in full before you hit reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Well maybe the process you went through is different to someone with no PPS number. It clearly states online that you do not need a PPS number, nor be working here legally to claim the payment

You need your February pay slips so how would that work??

You have literally copied over the conditions here. As it says in YOUR post the conditions are that you have been laid off due to Covid 19 AND have a valid PPSN and an active Irish bank account.

You’ve literally copied and pasted in your own post the part where they say having a PPSN is a requirement.

And to think people like you are allowed to vote...

Please go and read the link YOU posted in full before you hit reply.

I think you’re the one having trouble understanding things. Maybe try reading it again:

“If I am undocumented and I lost my job or had been laid- off due to Covid-19 can I apply for Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment
    The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection has confirmed that this payment is available irrespective of immigration status to:

AND

Employees and self-employed people who have a valid PPSN number

The payment also applies if you are :
    a non-EU/EEA workers who have lost employment due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic irrespective of immigration status
    a student (and non-EU/EEA students, stamp 2 and stamp 1g) who have lost employment due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Of course it was open to abuse when you don’t even need a PPS number to claim it, i.e. illegal immigrants are entitled to it

Fake news!

What, you not asked to give your PPS number in the application, I find that very hard to believe.

If that's the case, we lucky half the world didn't apply for it. They will never catch the fraudsters if that's the case. I heard in the news earlier, those who were earning less than 350 a week before Covid are going to be moved to Job seekers end of May.

You based your response on fake news. Also it’s not the end of May.

I think you’re the one having trouble understanding things. Maybe try reading it again:

“If I am undocumented and I lost my job or had been laid- off due to Covid-19 can I apply for Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment
    The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection has confirmed that this payment is available irrespective of immigration status to:

AND

Employees and self-employed people who have a valid PPSN number

The payment also applies if you are :
    a non-EU/EEA workers who have lost employment due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic irrespective of immigration status
    a student (and non-EU/EEA students, stamp 2 and stamp 1g) who have lost employment due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic”

The minute you approach them as an u documented the department is then aware of you there for you and your employer who is not paying tax will have serious questions to answer. #round up

It also clearly states in these articles that undocumented workers are entitled to the payment:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/meet-ireland-s-unofficial-covid-19-essential-workforce-1.4240089%3fmode=amp

“For undocumented people there’s a constant anxiety. “There’s always the fear of being found out. I don’t want to be sick. I worry about whether I can access medical services. Now during the pandemic we’re being supported by the government, but if there’s no pandemic, am I allowed to go out and claim for medical services?””

https://inar.ie/covid19-and-minorities/

“The Irish Government has confirmed to the Migrant Rights Centre Ireland (MRCI) that all people – documented or undocumented – can apply for hardship payments and access information from social welfare services free from fear during COVID19. You will need to give the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) personal information to apply for hardship payments. The Department have given assurance in their Twitter post that data they receive as part of an immigrant’s application for a COVID19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment will not be shared with GNIB or the Department of Justice and Equality.
    To access any financial support from social welfare during COVID-19 you must have a PPS number first. It is safe for you to apply for one now. Visit MRCI’s page to find out how to proceed and contact the organisation directly if have any questions about your situation.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm a person that is writing up my PhD thesis. Do not have any funding at the moment. Getting financial assistance or even a part time job is near impossible now. Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

AND

It clearly says that you need a pps number in your link if you read it properly.

"Am I eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment if I lost my job due to COVID-19, but I do not have a PPSN?
    No. You must apply for a PPS number first.

To avail of any social welfare payments, you need to have a PPS number."

aido79 wrote: »
    It clearly says that you need a pps number in your link if you read it properly.

"Am I eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment if I lost my job due to COVID-19, but I do not have a PPSN?
    No. You must apply for a PPS number first.

To avail of any social welfare payments, you need to have a PPS number."

“The Irish Government has confirmed to the Migrant Rights Centre Ireland (MRCI) that all people – documented or undocumented – can apply for hardship payments and access information from social welfare services free from fear during COVID19. You will need to give the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) personal information to apply for hardship payments. The Department have given assurance in their Twitter post that data they receive as part of an immigrant’s application for a COVID19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment will not be shared with GNIB or the Department of Justice and Equality.
    To access any financial support from social welfare during COVID-19 you must have a PPS number first. It is safe for you to apply for one now. Visit MRCI’s page to find out how to proceed and contact the organisation directly if have any questions about your situation.”

It says in the link and excerpt above that if you don’t have a PPS number that they will give you one under the circumstances, no questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

It says in the link and excerpt above that if you don’t have a PPS number that they will give you one under the circumstances, no questions asked.

So the bottom line is that a pps number is required to apply for the payment?
    If a person doesn't have one they will give them one as you have said.

Advertisement