Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farage highlighting illegal migration chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kenmm wrote: »
    Not legally at the moment.

Also - wonder what would happen is they started heading North West :pac:?

The small trip across the English Channel is not the same as crossing the Celtic Sea, not by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The small trip across the English Channel is not the same as crossing the Celtic Sea, not by a long shot.

Seriously, I know that - the channel is very small.

But I think someone suitably motivated could make it in summer weather. Look out, we are about to be over run by foreign nationals seeking free housing and benefits.. arrghh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

But I think someone suitably motivated could make it in summer weather. Look out, we are about to be over run by foreign nationals seeking free housing and benefits.. arrghh.

You mightn't think it was so amusing if you were living in Balbriggan.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

theres f*ck all children actually coming with them. Yet again I said its harsh , but the boats need to be stopped. What are the British to do to prevent any more of these migrants entering the country. Id rather effective and harsh than ineffective and nice.

#alllivesmatter when it suits you, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Faugheen wrote: »
    #alllivesmatter when it suits you, it seems.

I've never been on that bandwagon.

this is very much #EuropeanLivesMatterMoreThanIllegalMigrantsWithDangerousBeliefs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think the defenders of these boats can be categorised.
    Some are for open borders. Let people move where they please.
    Some think UK have themselves to blame for colonisation. "Follow you home" arguments.
    Some think a refugee have the right to travel through several peaceful countries in the EU to the French coast, and there buy an very expensive raft and paddle out to the British Isles.

Am I missing a category?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no we re not, our housing and other issues are largely to do with the failures of largely western economic and political ideologies, little or nothing to do with the scary foreigners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Oh look boats full of men. Who'd have tunk it.

biko wrote: »
    I think the defenders of these boats can be categorised.
    Some are for open borders. Let people move where they please.
    Some think UK have themselves to blame for colonisation. "Follow you home" arguments.
    Some think a refugee have the right to travel through several peaceful countries in the EU to the French coast, and there buy an very expensive raft and paddle out to the British Isles.

Am I missing a category?

those whose livelihoods or political capitol is completely derived from opposing the views of conservative (and presumed white) men. It's not that they like muslim migrants (I mean come on , they fundamentally disagree with them on almost every issue) but because conservative men have issues with muslims then the virtuous position is automatically to defend them.

If the national front wanted to take dinghies to bring thousands of their members illegally to the UK these people would be screaming for boats with guns , but because the people on the boats aren't liked by conservatives they're very welcome for that reason alone.

those whose livelihoods or political capitol is completely derived from opposing the views of conservative (and presumed white) men. It's not that they like muslim migrants (I mean come on , they fundamentally disagree with them on almost every issue) but because conservative men have issues with muslims then the virtuous position is automatically to defend them.

If the national front wanted to take dinghies to bring thousands of their members illegally to the UK these people would be screaming for boats with guns , but because the people on the boats aren't liked by conservatives they're very welcome for that reason alone.

Pretty sure nobody in their right mind would be advocating for shooting boats of unarmed civilians even if they're national front members. Do human rights go out the window if you're not an EU citizen? Doesn't sound like a very western value tbh, sounds pretty warped.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You mightn't think it was so amusing if you were living in Balbriggan.

Don't tell me - Ballbriggan is the next "Birmingham"..?

Pretty sure nobody in their right mind would be advocating for shooting boats of unarmed civilians even if they're national front members. Do human rights go out the window if you're not an EU citizen? Doesn't sound like a very western value tbh, sounds pretty warped.

in the countries and belief systems these people preach, human rights always came second to ideology, nothing new.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    no we re not, our housing and other issues are largely to do with the failures of largely western economic and political ideologies, little or nothing to do with the scary foreigners

Nope - its all the tax dodging scum foreigners coming here to take our houses and jobs. This thread has changed my mind.

#EuropeanLivesMatterMoreThanIllegalMigrantsWithDangerousBeliefs

What exactly are these "Dangerous beliefs" - Who exactly are we talking about. If we are targeting one specific group of people, I want to be specific.

Nope - its all the tax dodging scum foreigners coming here to take our houses and jobs. This thread has changed my mind.

no its not, its the parasitic and predatory nature of our western designed economic and financial systems, in which tax evasion and avoidance plays a critical role, largely by the more plutocratic elements of our societies, little or nothing to do with the scary foreigners

in the countries and belief systems these people preach, human rights always came second to ideology, nothing new.

And? You are happy to chuck out human rights on those grounds? You're also making big assumptions about the people on the boats. Your sort of logic makes it okay to abuse whatever human rights of people if they're from a country that has a poor track record of human rights.

Basically you yourself seem to subscribe to an ideology that isn't consistent with western values.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    no its not, its the parasitic and predatory nature of our western designed economic and financial systems, in which tax evasion and avoidance plays a critical role, largely by the more plutocratic elements of our societies, little or nothing to do with the scary foreigners

Right - hold on a second - I am clearly taking the p!ss here - almost treating this entire thread with the contempt it deserves.

I gave up when we started comparing foreigners to another species, the entire debate lost all credibility at that point.

Right - hold on a second - I am clearly taking the p!ss here - almost treating this entire thread with the contempt it deserves.

I gave up when we started comparing foreigners to another species, the entire debate lost all credibility at that point.

i may join you in this p1ss take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Basically you yourself seem to subscribe to an ideology that isn't consistent with western values.

When did an endless stream of mass immigration become a western value? Helping out people coming from countries that are in ruins from war, like Syria was, is one thing, taking in every Tom, Dick & Harry that arrives on our shores from Africa and is a completely different thing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TomTomTim wrote: »
    When did an endless stream of mass immigration become a western value? Helping out people coming from countries that are in ruins from war, like Syria was, is one thing, taking in every Tom, Dick & Harry that arrives on our shores from Africa and is a completely different thing.

how is murdering people in boats a western value?

• Advertisement

how is murdering people in boats a western value?

defending your borders from threats is perfectly compatible with western values. Been doing it for thousands of years.

TomTomTim wrote: »

Respecting human rights is a supposedly a western value, no? Calling for the massacre of civilians on the other hand is something I associate with corrupt regimes with poor human rights records.
    defending your borders from threats is perfectly compatible with western values. Been doing it for thousands of years.

It would be illegal under international law. Can't believe you're arguing for the right to kill civilians.

murdering unarmed people is against every western value. dont try to dress it up as anything less than it is. you are promoting barbarism. in times past (and not that long ago) we hanged people for that.

Respecting human rights is a supposedly a western value, no? Calling for the massacre of civilians on the other hand is something I associate with corrupt regimes with poor human rights records.

It would be illegal under international law. Can't believe you're arguing for the right to kill civilians.

I have no trouble believing they are arguing for the murder of unarmed civilians.

I have no trouble believing they are arguing for the murder of unarmed civilians.

what policed border in the world can you just stroll over and expect not to get shot.

what would happen to me if I (unarmed) tried to cross between north and South Korea, between Russia and Ukraine, between almost any African, arab or South American countries, Palestine to Israel. Turkey to Greece, I would have a gun pointed at me and be told to turn back , if I proceeded I would be shot, I could still chance it but it would be a known risk .

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Thread needs a cleanup and and a couple of posters need to be dealt with. Thread temporarily closed until mod tools are up and running and the offending posters can be nuked from the thread.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Thread reopened. I can't believe I have to make this an explicit instruction, but the next person who advocates the killing of immigrants will receive a permanent forum ban.

@Eric Cartman, @Bobblehats - don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Do human rights go out the window if you're not an EU citizen?

You have talked a lot about human rights. But human rights are pretty generic concepts and aren't particularly detailed.. no genocide.. treat all humans as humans.. that sort of thing.

The only part of human rights that actively relates to the discussion at hand (or at least should relate to the discussion at hand) is the right to gain asylum when fleeing persecution.

But here's where the details (or lack of them in this case) become important. All people should be free to flee from persecution, but should they be free to flee to any country? What exactly is persecution? Is poverty a form of persecution?

If you are fleeing France, are you fleeing persecution? This is the scenario that the UK faces. Is France a country that one must flee for your life from? The UK says 'no' and quite honestly I find it hard to disagree with that assessment. More to the point, the people fleeing France would likely have already 'fled' Italy, and the majority are 'fleeing' based upon considerations relating to local language, local minorities, and average salary. This entire concept seems to make a mockery out of the asylum system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And invading others don't forget. That's been a pretty strong western value since the day someone decided there was a border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Cartman made a very valid point about border controls of other countries.

Advertisement