Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farage highlighting illegal migration chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-military-asked-stem-channel-migrant-crossings-72252758

Britain’s military says it has been asked by the government to help prevent people from trying to reach the U.K. from France in small boats

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How?
    I can't see a way.
    Put the dinghies back in French territorial waters, they'll just head to the UK again.
    Put the people on a ferry/aeroplane back to France might work once. By day 2 France will be insisting on passengers manifests from the airlines/ferry companies.
    Literally dropping them back (i.e. landing British navy boats in French beaches and dropping people off) would be close to WW3.

Genuinely struggling to see a solution here for a Brexit Britain. France has little or no obligation to help the non-EU UK on this issue.
    It's actually quite funny in ways.

do like the US coast guard used to do to Cubans, line an ship in the water with a Gatling gun on it. Its harsh but send a few dinghies to the bottom of the ocean and they'll stop.
    giant signs on every beach in France 'try and go to the UK, chances are you're getting shot out of the water'

• do like the US coast guard used to do to Cubans, line an ship in the water with a Gatling gun on it. Its harsh but send a few dinghies to the bottom of the ocean and they'll stop.
    giant signs on every beach in France 'try and go to the UK, chances are you're getting shot out of the water'

Death.

Terrific solution.

"Harsh"... it's murderous.

Death.

Terrific solution.

what other solution keeps them out of the UK. My solution is awful but its magnitudes better than allowing them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It seems that English are just as much of a joke as we are when it comes to our immigration processing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

do like the US coast guard used to do to Cubans, line an ship in the water with a Gatling gun on it. Its harsh but send a few dinghies to the bottom of the ocean and they'll stop.

I'm not sure even the US coast guard go as far as to purposely sink Cuban immigrants. Huge Cuban population in Florida surely wouldn't stand for that.

To be honest your plan wouldn't work in the UK, there's a fundamental decency amongst the population - absolute uproar if their navy purposely killed non-combatants.
    I doubt the navy would follow that order anyway - you'd basically be a certainty to be up for murder somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

Genuinely struggling to see a solution here for a Brexit Britain. France has little or no obligation to help the non-EU UK on this issue.
    It's actually quite funny in ways.

The Australian solution, permanent offshore detention.

Just requires manners to be put on domestic judges, to prevent them frustrating it.

Brexit enables it. Far easier to constrain judges at home compared to those embedded in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Death.

Terrific solution.

Lol - the poster also want to round up the poor and put them in out of town areas.

Like camps I guess, camps that are full of a concentration of people.

So a few lost boats at sea is nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Death.

Terrific solution.

Well they are an invasive species.

Just pepper the water. They’ll get the drift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Well they are an invasive species.

Just pepper the water. They’ll get the drift

Like a different species?

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nermal wrote: »
    The Australian solution, permanent offshore detention.

Just requires manners to be put on domestic judges, to prevent them frustrating it.

Brexit enables it. Far easier to constrain judges at home compared to those embedded in the EU.

This is surely something they could have done all along, nothing to do with those pesky EU judges or Brexit. Italy is using Lampadusa island, and Greece has detention centres on Chios and Lesbos. And possibly other islands I'm not aware of.
    But I don't see how being potentially detained in Wight instead of 'the mainland' is going to reduce the amount of attempted immigration from France.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they come to UK for work then UK will have to address it so that if someone hires an illegal worker everyone gets punished.
    "In England, you can work even if you have no papers," InfoMigrants heard several migrants in Grande-Synthe and Calais say.

This is the penalty today:
    Penalties for employing illegal workers
    You can be sent to jail for 5 years and pay an unlimited fine if you’re found guilty of employing someone who you knew or had ‘reasonable cause to believe’ did not have the right to work in the UK.
    Change that to "you will lose your business and a minimum of 3 years in jail".

The pull factor must be removed and the only way to do that is to remove the incentive to hire illegal workers.

This is surely something they could have done all along, nothing to do with those pesky EU judges or Brexit. Italy is using Lampadusa island, and Greece has detention centres on Chios and Lesbos. And possibly other islands I'm not aware of.
    But I don't see how being potentially detained in Wight instead of 'the mainland' is going to reduce the amount of attempted immigration from France.

just make it 10 year mandatory prison for hiring illegal workers and cut off welfare for anyone who enters illegally and tell them it'll be 10 years before they've a chance of getting a house and they might slow down.

but keeping them on an island isn't half bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Death penalty without trial. Children included. Even if you’re 100% right and they are economic migrants, the idea that the most appropriate response is to just kill them is monstrous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

If someone cannot prove their identity they should not be allowed entry into a country.

They should be deported back to the country from where they came from ( this case France ) or detained indefinitely until their identity is known, be that 1 year or 10 years. When id is established a decision can then be made. That would soon stop a lot of this.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Death penalty without trial. Children included. Even if you’re 100% right and they are economic migrants, the idea that the most appropriate response is to just kill them is monstrous.

theres f*ck all children actually coming with them. Yet again I said its harsh , but the boats need to be stopped. What are the British to do to prevent any more of these migrants entering the country. Id rather effective and harsh than ineffective and nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

kenmm wrote: »
    Like a different species?

Wow.

Maybe we could turn the tide. Sending them back from whence they came

That’s right; more currant controversy. But worth it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

theres f*ck all children actually coming with them. Yet again I said its harsh , but the boats need to be stopped. What are the British to do to prevent any more of these migrants entering the country. Id rather effective and harsh than ineffective and nice.

It's not illegal to sale across the channel in a boat.
    It's not illegal to apply for asylum.

You should take the talk of gunboats to Hollywood.

It's not illegal to sale across the channel in a boat.
    It's not illegal to apply for asylum.

You should take the talk of gunboats to Hollywood.

why didn't they seek asylum in France ? why should they get to use a safe country as a jumping off to illegally cross into another.

why didn't they seek asylum in France ? why should they get to use a safe country as a jumping off to illegally cross into another.

Why don't you go ask them or groups working with them instead of talking like you're in a movie?

• Advertisement

Why don't you go ask them or groups working with them instead of talking like you're in a movie?

because just like the deception employed by the migrants, the NGO's and groups working with them to get them in, I hardly think they're going to be honest and straight up tell me "we want to go to England for welfare and a free gaf" which would be the truth.

because just like the deception employed by the migrants, the NGO's and groups working with them to get them in, I hardly think they're going to be honest and straight up tell me "we want to go to England for welfare and a free gaf" which would be the truth.

How do you know it is the truth?

You have no evidence? Haven't spoken to anyone involved in the process? You are just reacting to Farage's and others dog whistling.

It’s not “harsh”, it’s murder.

You are suggesting killing people who may or may not be guilty of a non-violent crime.

I think you should spend some time really thinking about what you’re suggesting and what it says about you as a human being.

Imagine hating foreigners so much you’d wish death on people desperately trying to make their way into a country you don’t even live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

In Australia the offshore detention is permanent. Even if asylum is granted. This eliminates the pull factor.

That's not the case with the other nations you mention, and there's no way the EU legal institutions would allow it. Hence Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

State sanctioned murder of illegal immigrants. Interesting.

I wonder do people share these types of views with people they know in real life or do they just keep it to anonymous internet forums

Billy Mays wrote: »
    State sanctioned murder of illegal immigrants. Interesting.

I wonder do people share these types of views with people they know in real life or do they just keep it to anonymous internet forums

its only barbaric because its the UK , we blindly accept these types of things happening in countries where they're not predominantly white. Imagine trying to illegally access Israel, Korea etc.. in a dinghy.

its only barbaric because its the UK , we blindly accept these types of things happening in countries where they're not predominantly white. Imagine trying to illegally access Israel, Korea etc.. in a dinghy.

You’re suggesting Britain punishes people who arrive on its shores in dinghies by death, while rapists and murderers get prison sentences. It’s unhinged.

What you’re suggesting is akin to how criminals are treated in the likes of Saudi, and it’s ironic how much you seem to admire their criminal justice system.

KiKi III wrote: »
    You’re suggesting Britain punishes people who arrive on its shores in dinghies by death, while rapists and murderers get prison sentences. It’s unhinged.

What you’re suggesting is akin to how criminals are treated in the likes of Saudi, and it’s ironic how much you seem to admire their criminal justice system.

"britain doesn't punish criminals well, so therefore attempts to stop more criminals arriving in Britain are awful"

I've said repeatedly that its on the harsh end of things, allowing them in is barbaric for the people of Britain, a solution to keep them in France or send them home is needed, if you have something better than shooting the dinghy's then I'm all ears.

• Advertisement

"britain doesn't punish criminals well, so therefore attempts to stop more criminals arriving in Britain are awful"

I've said repeatedly that its on the harsh end of things, allowing them in is barbaric for the people of Britain, a solution to keep them in France or send them home is needed, if you have something better than shooting the dinghy's then I'm all ears.

Deportation would be a better solution than mass murder.

I have lots of friends and family in the UK and none of them feel that refugees, asylum seekers or immigrants pose any threat to them. Can you provide evidence that they do. Or are you just posting histrionics as though they’re facts?

Advertisement