Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Not sure that tells you much. If they all died tonight (god Forbid) there would be no one in ICU tomorrow.

I feel that if the number was rising you would think it very relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was around Dublin city centre after work and thought there was fair few more than usual around. Some seemed to act like social distancing was a thing of the past. Saw a clothes retail with supermarket below it open. Not ideal tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Thats an utter load of nonsense. Vast majority of today are long term care settings. Let's see what demand is like from the community with no priority grouping

Did we get a number for how many today are in care homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

That dozy bint again, the CMO's face when he heard the word hairdresser mentioned.

I actually don't disagree with her having such questions, but they are being put to entirely the wrong person/people, in the wrong place. The CMO is never going to give any new info on this, they are political questions that need to be put to the government.

There really should be a government representative to be answerable to these questions on restrictions etc. - it's actually a disgrace that there isn't. They should be hounding them, not the ultra-conservative CMO who wants permanent lockdown.

But these journalists should understand who they are talking to and stop asking the wrong questions to the wrong people, it's utterly cringe-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

redarmy wrote: »
    BREAKING: Health officials have confirmed a further 37 deaths of patients diagnosed with Covid-19 and 265 new confirmed cases in Ireland.

How is there still so many new cases!? Surely it should be closer to 25/26 by now and not 265

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was around Dublin city centre after work and thought there was fair few more than usual around. Some seemed to act like social distancing was a thing of the past. Saw a clothes retail with supermarket below it open. Not ideal tbh

Seen the same for the last couple of weeks unfortunately..

It's going to cost us big time if people don't act responsibly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Numbers climbing again. No masks, people out and about = this.

Would there be a delay in reporting over the bh weekend aswell there?

Seen the same for the last couple of weeks unfortunately..

It's going to cost us big time if people don't act responsibly

It's fairly frustrating tbh. This virus hasn't or won't go away overnight. If people lapse, could be second wave and more restrictions. Get it right first time and spike may not be as bad as feared or not come at all. I thought if anything people would be more cautious but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

How is there still so many new cases!? Surely it should be closer to 25/26 by now and not 265

I believe this may be a catch up from the bank holiday weekend. Usually, numbers on a Monday are lower and then on Tuesdays the ones that were missed out on are reported. In this case with the Monday being a bank holiday, the lower numbers were reported yesterday and today could be the catch up to that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Do we know if the new figures include testing done under the reduced testing criteria? Because obviously if you've widened the net, you'll catch more cases that weren't being caught previously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It's far from ideal and not observing the recommendations will only drag things out for everyone. If we were to get today's new case figures this day next week I think there would be serioius doubts about relaxation on Monday week (May 18th).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I feel that if the number was rising you would think it very relevant
    They only stat that will tell me we are winning is when there are more people recovering daily than getting infected. That is the true measure of when this is beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Ireland is probably going to wait until the **** hits the fan before masks in public places are mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Unusual regional pattern in new cases - none in Wexford or Waterford, and one in Kerry, but big spikes in both Longford and Offaly:

http://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I`m afraid that level of new daily cases is a long time away possibly years if no vaccine is developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The lockdown will end soon as the 'money tree' is nearly bare. Speaking to a senior government official today and he says our borrowing capacity is under real threat.

ixoy wrote: »
    Do we know if the new figures include testing done under the reduced testing criteria? Because obviously if you've widened the net, you'll catch more cases that weren't being caught previously.

Think the new tests were only taken today but yeah would be good to know when the first batch of those are included in results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

They only stat that will tell me we are winning is when there are more people recovering daily than getting infected. That is the true measure of when this is beaten.

22248 have been infected.
    17110 have recovered in the community.
    1399 have been discharged from hospital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ireland is probably going to wait until the **** hits the fan before masks in public places are mandatory.

I really don't understand. I just don't. They forced a lockdown on us and came out that masks will be based on guidance and advice. Allowing people without masks to infect others. Can someone tell me why we are allowing something like this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Glenomra wrote: »
    The lockdown will end soon as the 'money tree' is nearly bare. Speaking to a senior government official today and he says our borrowing capacity is under real threat.

And we still won't have masks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Unusual regional pattern in new cases - none in Wexford or Waterford, and one in Kerry, but big spikes in both Longford and Offaly:

http://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

Spikes are surely residential.

Glenomra wrote: »

Government can borrow for next to nothing. I don't think that's the issue. It's how to finance the paying off of this debt in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's fairly frustrating tbh. This virus hasn't or won't go away overnight. If people lapse, could be second wave and more restrictions. Get it right first time and spike may not be as bad as feared or not come at all. I thought if anything people would be more cautious but apparently not.

People can't stay the course. It's so frustrating. We got through the most dangerous period with pretty much everybody on board and now when we're so close to really breaking community transmission people are just blowing the danger of the virus off and ignoring the advice. Another fortnight to three weeks of the level of compliance that we had back towards the start and we'd be in a much better and sustainable position. But people don't want to accept this.

It'll cost us. People talk about how damaging the lockdown is for the economy - and it is, it's incredibly damaging. But moving fast now might seem great in the short term, but medium to long term it will be more economically damaging. We can open the economy to an extent now, but there's still a real threat of a second wave: the virus is still present and people are becoming increasingly blase. So we'll have always have to be watching over our shoulders for the inevitable second spike in infections - and it will ultimately take longer than it could have before the economy and social life can resume back to anything like normality, because we didn't eradicate community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I'd imagine the spikes might be the results of the results coming in for the tests in residential care homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Government can borrow for next to nothing. I don't think that's the issue. It's how to finance the paying off of this debt in the long term.

Not when everyone else is trying to borrow at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this fella trying to dig out a point of importance or just get a headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Yer man cross-examining Tony like he's the council for the prosecution... Is he trying to earn his journalist's stripes?

Who the hell is this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Presser has gotten interesting :D

• Advertisement

How is Tony keeping his cool with this guy blatantly misquoting him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement