Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

Jet2 holidays

I was in their second batch of cancellations and was informed early April.
    I selected the rebook option and awaited their call.
    They contacted me the Sunday before last. Went through the rebooking for same time in May next year but when it got to applying the discount, I would not be getting the full amount as my new date was after March 2021.
    I was pushing for the full discount rate so said I’d have to think about it and may cancel if they wouldn’t offer it. They told me they would ring back later in week.

I never received another call but between Tuesday and Wednesday this week, all 4 payments made for holiday have been refunded. With exchange rate difference and my banks fees, I’m down €48 which is absolutely fine.

Easiest refund process ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

No update on AIBs chargeback although I saw on #ryanairrefunds on Twitter that someone was successful with a BOI charge back...
    No update from the flightrights people yet...
    And definitely no response from Ryanair...
    I'm thinking of 1000euro is safe in some sort of Christmas club that I will have access to by the end of the year ..( just for my own sanity really)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

so I just got the phone call off just split regarding my final payment balance of €700 which is due tomorrow.
    We are due to fly on 13th June and tui (who the holiday is booked with via just split travel agents) have cancelled all holidays up to the 11th June.
    So ive been told I have to pay the €700 or its seen as me cancelling the holiday. if this is the case I will get lose my €600 deposit but the remaining €1900 ive paid to date will be refunded, they don't know when as they cant get to the office and it depends on tui.
    If I pay the €700 (which I don't want to do as I know we wont be going), when the holiday is cancelled, I am entitled to the whole lot back, however I don't know when I will receive this money. I reckon TUI will drag their heels and wait until the legislation is changed and then give back vouchers.
    so:
    option 1: don't pay the 700, lose 600 deposit, get in the q for 1900 cash back.
    option 2: pay 700, when holiday is cancelled, request refund and hopefully get cash back.
    I need to let just split know tomorrow, what do ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Does anyone know why Ryanair are still selling multiple destinations for the end of May, June and onwards, despite saying that most of their fleet will be grounded until mid July?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Does anyone know why Ryanair are still selling multiple destinations for the end of May, June and onwards, despite saying that most of their fleet will be grounded until mid July?

Nobody is booking I'd imagine

Probably say they havent got around to updating that side as busy with other issues and low staff, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Ozark2020

Does anyone have the same experience as the following ! I think it’s deliberate on the part of aer lingus ! Was calling Aer lingus customer service today (futile I know) always seem be transferred to a North American back office, never irish support now (guess most irish ground staff furloughed)
    Looking for an update on the status of my refund , the call quality was appalling, this is not the first time I have experienced with aer lingus, my network coverage is reliable and clear. I think this is a deliberate effort by AL to frustrate customers from callling! It truly is frustrating and tiring having to repeat your details ad nauseum!

Anyways the same spiel was trotted off by agent, it may as well have been a robot on the other end of the phone. They will raise the issue with another department to expedite the refund...... allow for another 1 -2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Nobody is booking I'd imagine

Probably say they havent got around to updating that side as busy with other issues and low staff, etc

or maybe they are hoping that their customers cancel......then they don't have to make refunds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Ozark2020 wrote: »
    They will raise the issue with another department to expedite the refund...... allow for another 1 -2 weeks.

i got told that and my refund was recevied within a week (well 7 working days and allowing for bank holiday)

seemed to be an irish number i got through on as your man had a Dublin accent and the line quality was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

As long as the flights are scheduled customers cannot request a refund.

Are they are flattening the curve?

The other nice financial benefit for Ryanair is that some confused passengers may cancel the flight and loose the chance of a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Just an update.......
    I today received another email from Aer Lingus and they have tweaked things again.The offer of the voucher is back for flights departing up to June 30th.We were due to go on June 17th and they told me just yesterday the flight was still operating and that it wasnt cancelled and as such we could re book or cancel and lose our money.The voucher was not offered for our flight date but now, as per todays email the voucher is on offer again for flights up to June 30th.
    We've already accepted one voucher for a cancelled trip at Easter so not keen to take another one.If we wait to see if the flight is cancelled and then it isnt, can we still claim a voucher rather than travel, which we wont be.

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    so I just got the phone call off just split regarding my final payment balance of €700 which is due tomorrow.
    We are due to fly on 13th June and tui (who the holiday is booked with via just split travel agents) have cancelled all holidays up to the 11th June.
    So ive been told I have to pay the €700 or its seen as me cancelling the holiday. if this is the case I will get lose my €600 deposit but the remaining €1900 ive paid to date will be refunded, they don't know when as they cant get to the office and it depends on tui.
    If I pay the €700 (which I don't want to do as I know we wont be going), when the holiday is cancelled, I am entitled to the whole lot back, however I don't know when I will receive this money. I reckon TUI will drag their heels and wait until the legislation is changed and then give back vouchers.
    so:
    option 2: pay 700, when holiday is cancelled, request refund and hopefully get cash back.

any takers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

or maybe they are hoping that their customers cancel......then they don't have to make refunds?

More likely that they're taking bookings for flights that are unlikely to take off. Revenue rolls in and more people suckered

tom1ie wrote: »
    so:

The real concern here is bonding.
    I have no idea if you are covered if Just Split or TUI go wallop.
    There are EU directives so hopefully you are ok.
    CAR licences these folks so they should have some idea of the bonding situation.
    "Bonded. For your protection. Aviation Regulation Licence No TA0297."

If you are fully bonded then this looks like a €100 bet.

Option 1 You definitely loose €600.
    Option 2 You pay an extra €100 and get all your money back eventually.

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Just an update.......
    I today received another email from Aer Lingus and they have tweaked things again.The offer of the voucher is back for flights departing up to June 30th.We were due to go on June 17th and they told me just yesterday the flight was still operating and that it wasnt cancelled and as such we could re book or cancel and lose our money.The voucher was not offered for our flight date but now, as per todays email the voucher is on offer again for flights up to June 30th.
    We've already accepted one voucher for a cancelled trip at Easter so not keen to take another one.If we wait to see if the flight is cancelled and then it isnt, can we still claim a voucher rather than travel, which we wont be.

If they fly and you don't show you loose the fare.

Aer Lingus are playing silly games by not officially cancelling flights.
    A lot of flights are shown as "sold out" when in reality there is no plan to fly.
    They hope that will get people to take vouchers.

The first thing you need to check is this flight flying.
    Check using the booking process to see if the flight is classed as sold out.

Then check www.flightaware.com to see history.
    Highly highly that it hasn't flown since March.

If the flights is showing as sold out and has not flown recently then just sit tight.

Keep an eye on the flight just in case they decide to fly.

If they decide to fly you take the voucher or rebook to a new flight that is very unlikely to fly.
    There is no fee but the fare difference has to be paid.

If they don't fly you apply for a cash refund and follow the the guide.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

Again the same question why does the Commission for (no) Aviation Regulation allow this sort of BS to continue?

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Just an update.......

by doing that they are showing their hand as they know that flight will be cancelled and they are trying to lock people into vouchers before it has to be cancelled

as you say, if you wait you still have option to take a voucher if thats what you want, no need to commit to one now

Messi19 wrote: »
    More likely that they're taking bookings for flights that are unlikely to take off. Revenue rolls in and more people suckered

you would be really stupid to book a flight now for May/Jun

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭keithb93

We have a flight to las Vegas in September with KLM. Delta has cancelled one of the flights twice. I have been pressing KLM for a full refund but now they have come back and said that my tickets are non refundable and they can offer a voucher or refund taxes only. Are they correct? It's 1500 euro worth of flights that we could use now, rather than waiting 12 months for the vouchers to expire to claim the refund.

keithb93 wrote: »
    We have a flight to las Vegas in September with KLM. Delta has cancelled one of the flights twice. I have been pressing KLM for a full refund but now they have come back and said that my tickets are non refundable and they can offer a voucher or refund taxes only. Are they correct? It's 1500 euro worth of flights that we could use now, rather than waiting 12 months for the vouchers to expire to claim the refund.

unless KLM cancel, you are not entitled to a refund so you just need to wait

whens the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭keithb93

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    unless KLM cancel, you are not entitled to a refund so you just need to wait

whens the flight?

Right now the flight over leaves us in new York as the second leg of the flight has been cancelled. Do I have to wait for every flight to be cancelled? There 2 legs each way so 4 separate flight.
    Flight is 9th September

paddy19 wrote: »
    The real concern here is bonding.
    I have no idea if you are covered if Just Split or TUI go wallop.
    There are EU directives so hopefully you are ok.
    CAR licences these folks so they should have some idea of the bonding situation.
    "Bonded. For your protection. Aviation Regulation Licence No TA0297."

If you are fully bonded then this looks like a €100 bet.

Option 1 You definitely loose €600.
    Option 2 You pay an extra €100 and get all your money back eventually.

Thanks paddy
    This is exactly the way we are looking at it.
    They have since come back with option 3:
    We don’t have to pay 700 tomorrow but they’ll book the same holiday in July of 2021 for same price and we pay remaining 4 weeks before flight.
    Again though the bonding comes into play. At least if we go with this we don’t pay 700, don’t lose our deposit, bank a holiday for next year, if they go bust we fall back on bonding as we would’ve done otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Have return flights to the UK booked with Ryanair.

Flight over this Sunday morning is still going ahead :rolleyes: but flight home on Monday has been cancelled (requested a refund for this).

Any way I can get a refund for the flight that is still departing on Sunday?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Have return flights to the UK booked with Ryanair.

Flight over this Sunday morning is still going ahead :rolleyes: but flight home on Monday has been cancelled (requested a refund for this).

Any way I can get a refund for the flight that is still departing on Sunday?

Thanks

Are they on the same booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

paddy19 wrote: »
    Obviously difficult situation for everyone, school, schooltours.ie and providers.

The good news is that Schooltours.ie are licenced by the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR) and are an Irish owned comapny. They seem to be in good financial shape. The parent company World Travel Centre Holding Limited seems to have low external debt. Their accounts are up to date (31 Oct 2019) see attached.

Some comfort from our old friend EU261 which allows recovery for the air fare direct from the airline if things get really bad.

I have no idea about tour company bonding position. Might be worth emailing CAR at info@aviationreg.ie since they are the licencing authority.

I think your best best is to sit tight and be comforted that even in the worst case you will be able to recover the airfare.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

So just got word from the school all bar 75euro will be refunded. The hold up was getting refunds back from easyJet as they were meant to be flying out of Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

Just received my refund from Aer Lingus. Applied the 17th March so was a long time coming. Came through in multiple payments, I'm not sure why but I've received the full amount. I found emailing them to be absolutely useless, a few phone calls seemed to progress it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I paid a deposit to Supervalu getaway breaks in February for accommodation at Easter. The hotel was closed per government restrictions. I have requested a refund of deposit and processing fees which they have come back with the below response.

Unfortunately we can't refund deposits as per our cancellation policy but we can offer free transfers of date and also put your deposit on hold until you are ready to travel again? We're in line with all other tourism provider's

Here is their cancellation policy per the booking email

Cancellations can be made with the hotel up to 48 hours in advance of arrival by using the link below in your email booking confirmation. Changes to bookings can only be made by calling the Call Centre on 0818 22 00 88, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For cancellations within this time, or in the case of a no show, the first nights stay will be charged by the hotel. All deposits and booking fees are non-refundable.

I didn't cancel the break but am I entitled to a refund instead of these guys holding my funds indefinitely?

Update following a threat to take the matter to the SCC Supervalu Getaway Breaks agreed to a full refund of deposit and processing fees on Wednesday, the funds landed in my account this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

A week ago Ryanair cancelled my return flights for 21st May. I immediately applied for a refund found it a pain in the arse having to fill in do much details all over again but anyway I did it.

Last night and this morning I'm being bombarded by Ryanair emails and texts telling me the flight has been cancelled and I can apply for rescheduling or refund.

I already applied for a refund so I assume I should ignore these notifications and sit tight until my refund is paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

IrishHomer wrote: »
    A week ago Ryanair cancelled my return flights for 21st May. I immediately applied for a refund found it a pain in the arse having to fill in do much details all over again but anyway I did it.

Last night and this morning I'm being bombarded by Ryanair emails and texts telling me the flight has been cancelled and I can apply for rescheduling or refund.

I already applied for a refund so I assume I should ignore these notifications and sit tight until my refund is paid?

i have just had a similar issue.
    I tried to re-submit the refund request from the link in the most recent email, and got the message that refund request was already submitted.
    So it is in their system.

The most recent emails they sent must be due to a bug from their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I phoned CAR this morning to chase.

On 17 April CAR had requested an email from Aer Lingus, I sent it back to them on 17 April but they had not opened the email that I sent. They have opened it this morning over the phone, started the case and have told me that it can take up to 3 months to reach an agreement with the airline. Moral of the story: Ring CAR if you hear nothing.

Meanwhile, Aer Lingus have until 15 May to reply to the SCC to my case. Aer Lingus have until 5 June to reply to Revolut/Visa to my charge back.

The saga continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Are they on the same booking?

Hi, Yes they are on the same booking.

I only applied for the refund on the return flight as it was the flight that was cancelled & I was emailed about.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The State will guarantee refunds for package holidays, in the form of credit notes.

This is kinda bizarre but reassuring at the same time.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-to-guarantee-refunds-for-package-holidays-in-form-of-credit-notes-39192572.html

Advertisement