Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

_DMac_ wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with post being held for days in the Dublin 12 parcel hub? Need stuff for wfm as my pc died and it should have been delivered monday. Can parcels be collected from the parcel hub?

They cant be collected....its a parcel hub - sorting centre.... we have to wait...

In all fairness my postman is working 6 days a week...they are doing the best...

Ps: iam still waiitng for over a month...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone know what the story is with post being held for days in the Dublin 12 parcel hub? Need stuff for wfm as my pc died and it should have been delivered monday. Can parcels be collected from the parcel hub?

Can't be collected.

Likely waiting for a delivery van to have capacity in your area \ or waiting until they have enough parcels to fill a van in your area.
    If the former, it might come on a saturday (happened to me - parcel was in D12 hub for 3 days).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Oh yeah no doubt they are busy and fair play to them for all they have done. Was just wondering what the sudden delays are? I got post last week and it arrived on time as it almost always does then this week it's held in the hub for days in end and looking online there seems to be a lot of people in the same boat. Typical though when I'm buying ****e online it arrives on time and when I actually need something important it gets delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

We got a note to say that there were some additional delays due to a surge of parcels from the bank holiday and that delays would be cleared by today.

We got a similar note from DPD (we get a lot of inward items from other locations of the company I work in, so we are sent regular updates)

Hopefully with shops back open it will calm down

Delays only affect parcels. Letterpost is processed in a different facility and there are no delays in letter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Received package today after ordering from USA on 20 March

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Received package today after ordering from USA on 20 March

Was going to ask if anyone received anything from America and saw your post. Ordered something about 3 weeks after you. Very long delays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I ordered a motorbike wheel from a company in Ohio on May 21st. It was dispatched via US Post on May 22nd. May 29th it departed Chicago. Arrived in Dublin on the 30th. Passed through customs on 5th June.

And that is where An Post tracking began and ended. 5th June at 16:25.

Got onto An Post via webchat today to be told there were massive delays in Cork. Ok, says I - but according to your tracking system my item in still in Dublin.
    They checked and said no, It's been in Little Island since the 5th.
    Can I go collect it? I asked, I only live 10 minutes away.
    No.

When it does turn up I will no doubt be hit with a big bill (I don't mind paying VAT/Customs dues but it annoys the %%$ out of me that they include P&P -$144 in this case -when making the calculation) and they only take cash.
    If I don't have enough cash to hand (which given I won't find out how much I have to pay until the delivery driver is standing at my door is possible...) I can go and collect it from the sorting office. In Little Island.

I know this from experience.

It's a bloody farce.

Last year, long before Covid, I ordered a cabinet from IKEA in Dublin. It took 3 weeks after An Post emailed to say they had it before they delivered it. 3 weeks to get from Dublin to Cork. In October.

Ordered a large package from the UK last Thursday, courier delivered it yesterday morning, and I had been kept up to date the whole way via email.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post emailed me with the relevant charges before delivery. In good 20th century tradition, they will accept a cheque or cash.
    Anyone who imports from outside the EU has to pay the VAT/Duty on the cost of transport. They are payable on the landed cost. Its the same for businesses and individuals. You'll also have the €10 clearance/admin fee for An Post too.

whiterebel wrote: »
    An Post emailed me with the relevant charges before delivery. In good 20th century tradition, they will accept a cheque or cash.
    Anyone who imports from outside the EU has to pay the VAT/Duty on the cost of transport. They are payable on the landed cost. Its the same for businesses and individuals. You'll also have the €10 clearance/admin fee for An Post too.

I have never ever been emailed with the cost - I always find only find out when the driver is at my door. And they have always said cash only.

This time I haven't gotten an email from An Post - loads of updates from USPS but zilch once An Post got their hands on it - plus their tracking says it's in Dublin while their webchat customer service says it's in Cork.

And that would be pretty typical of my experience of An Post.

Got my parcel from Spain....
    Smartwatch.... anyone wonder (amazfit T-rex)

It was not scanned at all in Ireland until it went out for delivery today morning...travel time 7 weeks....

Next 5.5kg packet from Slovakia...already waiting 8 weeks...

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Got onto An Post via webchat today to be told there were massive delays in Cork. Ok, says I - but according to your tracking system my item in still in Dublin.
    They checked and said no, It's been in Little Island since the 5th.
    Can I go collect it? I asked, I only live 10 minutes away.
    No.

In fairness, if you were next door, it would still be impossible to collect it. There are thousands of packages in the main centres and until it goes through a scanner and put in a route section, its a needle in a haystack.

Packages are in cages or brutes as they are called. They are 4ft x 4ft and 6ft high. An anpost truck would hold 30 of these and your package is in one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Just had an An Post delivery today, never had a delivery on a Sunday before!

VG31 wrote: »
    Just had an An Post delivery today, never had a delivery on a Sunday before!

So how long time did it took ? I mean from austria in total?

Happy days for you...no more an post tracking refresh....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Bikerguy wrote: »
    So how long time did it took ? I mean from austria in total?

Happy days for you...no more an post tracking refresh....

Today was just an Amazon delivery. The parcel from Austria took 16 days in total. It actually took longer to leave Austria than it did to get to Ireland (9 and 6 days respectively).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Saturday delivery is a product only Amazon uses that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Have something that came from adidas in Germany (Deutsche Post) and is now in the An Post depot in Dublin since June 3rd.

Wondering if this is the "normal" in current cicrumstances?

Have something that came from adidas in Germany (Deutsche Post) and is now in the An Post depot in Dublin since June 3rd.

Wondering if this is the "normal" in current cicrumstances?

I'm waiting for something An Post told me is in Cork since 6th June.

Finally received my package from America. It took 9 weeks, ordered in April.

I received a couple of packages that i ordered in early May from China last week.

Finally received my package from America. It took 9 weeks, ordered in April.

I received a couple of packages that i ordered in early May from China last week.

Son contacted An Post about the motorbike wheel that's been in Little Island waiting to travel 10 minutes up the road since 5th June and he said it seems social distancing in the sorting offices is part of the issue.
    Still doesn't explain why An Post's tracking service hasn't been updated since 5th June as says the wheel is still in Dublin.
    What is the point of offering a tracking service if it's not updated??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Son contacted An Post about the motorbike wheel that's been in Little Island waiting to travel 10 minutes up the road since 5th June and he said it seems social distancing in the sorting offices is part of the issue.
    Still doesn't explain why An Post's tracking service hasn't been updated since 5th June as says the wheel is still in Dublin.
    Tracking on my recent amazon orders has been dismal lately too

• Advertisement

Got an email from USPS this morning to tell me my parcel was at the delivering office. Checked An Post tracking and apparently it's out for delivery. No notification from them at all, ever. The tracking finally shows it's in Cork (albeit on a van). 10 days after An Post webchat told me it arrived in Cork.
    I still have no idea how much the charges will be.

What is post like within Ireland? Are there much delays?

Son contacted An Post about the motorbike wheel that's been in Little Island waiting to travel 10 minutes up the road since 5th June.

You're lucky that it's even on the system.
    Their normal passive aggressive policy is not to even register the package on the system and leave it in limbo for ages.
    Amazon packages seem to get ok service from them as they wouldn't put up with that sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What is post like within Ireland? Are there much delays?

Stuff is getting to me maybe a day later than would be expected for items for various couriers (including An Post).
    Wouldn't want to be relying on next day delivery if something was needed in a hurry.
    Most recent item from An Post arrived on time out of the blue, but no tracking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

glasso wrote: »
    You're lucky that it's even on the system.
    Their normal passive aggressive policy is not to even register the package on the system and leave it in limbo for ages.
    Amazon packages seem to get ok service from them as they wouldn't put up with that sh1t.

Yeah, that happened me with stuff from IKEA.
    It was webchat on IKEA who gave me the tracking number after I asked was it sent. Never heard a dicky from An Post until it turned up at my door weeks later.

I've stopped ordering from IKEA because An Post do their deliveries.

The saga continues.

I got an email from USPS saying delivery had been attempted, they will try again.
    I check An Post tracking - it's been updated to say delivery was attempted at 11:12 am. I was sitting on my sofa sending emails at that time. No one came near my door. No attempt to deliver notice was dropped off.
    I rescheduled my day to be available.

I get on web chat. They tell me my package was sent to the wrong sorting office. I am looking at the tracking info which says it's back in Little Island where it started. The same Little Island that is 10 minutes down the road.

Webchat tells me it will be delivered either this evening or 'in a few days'. But at least it's been scanned now so it's in the system and moving. This after 11 days in the local sorting office.

The only updates I have received in all this time have been from USPS. An Post just seem to expect me to hang around waiting until they manage to get it on the right van and finally find my - not rural - house.

The saga continues.

I got an email from USPS saying delivery had been attempted, they will try again.
    I check An Post tracking - it's been updated to say delivery was attempted at 11:12 am. I was sitting on my sofa sending emails at that time. No one came near my door. No attempt to deliver notice was dropped off.
    I rescheduled my day to be available.

I get on web chat. They tell me my package was sent to the wrong sorting office. I am looking at the tracking info which says it's back in Little Island where it started. The same Little Island that is 10 minutes down the road.

Webchat tells me it will be delivered either this evening or 'in a few days'. But at least it's been scanned now so it's in the system and moving. This after 11 days in the local sorting office.

The only updates I have received in all this time have been from USPS. An Post just seem to expect me to hang around waiting until they manage to get it on the right van and finally find my - not rural - house.

Here ends the saga of the motorbike wheel.

Son went to Little Island. They could not find the frankly not small package. Insisted it was not there even though tracking said it was.
    Luckily a friend of mine was on duty and recognised son. He rang other sorting offices. Rang driver. Said leave it with me...

4 hours later friend rings son to say he has the wheel. Come and get it.
    Story is delivery driver still had it in the back of his van. Since yesterday. No attempt to deliver it today.

So we got our package, An Post never actually delivered the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have had a parcel come from China (DHL) and Slovenia (UPS) to Dublin quicker than I have had An Post deliver a small parcel from 3-4km away (no joke) and limerick.

Slovenia stuff was posted Monday and arrived this morning. China stuff was posted last Thursday and also arrived this morning. Had a whiskey set posted from Teeling distillery in Dublin 8 get posted to my address which is also in Dublin 8 last Thursday and it still hasnt arrived. Similarly I had a small shoe boxed sized parcel get posted from limerick to Dublin 8 last Friday and its still not here. Both are with An Post. Its an absolute joke!!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    I have had a parcel come from China (DHL) and Slovenia (UPS) to Dublin quicker than I have had An Post deliver a small parcel from 3-4km away (no joke) and limerick.

Slovenia stuff was posted Monday and arrived this morning. China stuff was posted last Thursday and also arrived this morning. Had a whiskey set posted from Teeling distillery in Dublin 8 get posted to my address which is also in Dublin 8 last Thursday and it still hasnt arrived. Similarly I had a small shoe boxed sized parcel get posted from limerick to Dublin 8 last Friday and its still not here. Both are with An Post. Its an absolute joke!!!!

How much was delivery from China and Slovenia. An Post have a guaranteed delivery service too if you pay the premium price.

Also makes no difference even if you were next door to Teeling, it still follows the same route as the cost of looking for the few local parcels far outweighs the savings of an automated system. So it is collected from teeling, brought to the D8 sorting office, sent with all parcels to the parcel centre and queued with all parcels, onto the automated system, scanned to the D8 cages and then locally sorted into the routes.

Same with many distribution systems. EG Cheese made in Cork for M&S goes to the UK and then back to the Cork M&S store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I can confirm even sending to Australia is a big issue at the moment & will be for the foreseeable. They are holding some packages due to the corona virus at custom points throughout the world. So even if it is been delivered through An post, they will have no control over custom delays.
    I had packages take up to 2 months to arrive since 15th March. I haven't lost any packages yet but have stopped buying form outside Ireland until the postal service returns to a more normal level. Better to pay more from an Ireland company (where possible) & have it within days, then an overseas company & wait weeks for delivery. Your local post office is updated weekly with countries that have delays.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement