Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Documentary RTE1 9:30PM 26/4h

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Tork wrote: »
    He was on his best behaviour on that LLS. It would've been a different story once the complacent, phoning-it-in persona took over. I wasn't a regular listener to his radio show but by all accounts it was gone quite stale by the end.

True, you can see signs that he would not tolerate the guests being the centre of attention and this would have got worse if he had a regular spot. He would do or say anything to make sure it was all about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Tork

That was definitely a fault of his. He didn't always listen properly to the people he interviewed on the radio and would either get the details wrong or miss what they were telling him. On his day he could be great but that ego and need to be centre stage was definitely a drawback. The brashness and larger than life persona made him, then it broke him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It was Lambo. The early G Ryan at his best. He spun a yarn about killing a lamb while taking part in a reality survival programme. Caused outrage with people believing him!

I think any outrage was about the issue that he made up a pack of lies to get some front page headlines and media attention to give a kick to his career and push himself into the limelight.

Pretty much summed up Gerry though, he carried on as he started - self obsessed egotist with his head stuck firmly up his arse. Entertaining though at times :)

Back to the post a few pages ago - What did he do to his neighbour in Clontarf??

Apologies, after being locked up for the past 6 weeks I would get on my knees for a bit of gossip right now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

Great GR mega thread below going back to just before he passed away- some great content here including Degsy quoting from the book, reactions to his pay cut speech and his general irreverence which was getting very tiresome at that point for many on the thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454771

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Did Rte compensate Gerry’s drug dealers for loss of income after Gerry passed.

The drug dealers would have taken it particularly badly.

Great GR mega thread below going back to just before he passed away- some great content here including Degsy quoting from the book, reactions to his pay cut speech and his general irreverence which was getting very tiresome at that point for many on the thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454771

I’ve read a few pages of that thread, thanks for linking it.

Ten years on and, with only a few name changes to take account of changes in the RTE DG, or their “top stars” it’s quite clear that the situation now is exactly as it was then. Nothing’s changed, still over bloated as an organisation, paying over the odds to contract presenters, the same old same old. I chuckled to read Noel Kelly’s name early on in the thread.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Honestly, everything in this thread, and my memories of him, has suggested to me that GR was an arse. The exact type of person that so many people have an issue with RTE churning out: overinflated sense of ability, overly self-important, paid a ridiculous salary for doing very little... If he was still around today, people would be calling for him and his massive salary to be taken off the books in the same way they do for Tubs and D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jaysus, yer man Degsy had a lot of pent up hate!! Slunk off with a simple RIP on hearing the death of poor Gerry Ryan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

The programme was ok, it was never really going to be critical or ask difficult questions given that it was an in-house production.

I was thinking of all the controversy when Miriam O'C tweeted reaction to his death that afternoon, before it had been officially announced by RTE. She apologised but I remember all the commentary that time on the dangers of Twitter....

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Surprised that Ryan ‘Tubs’ Tubridy didn’t contribute to the documentary.

Didn’t he start out as a ‘tea boy’ for Gerry? Very much the Rick Astley to Gerry’s Pete Waterman :pac:

Similar dress sense to Astley too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Tork

I would've been more surprised if Tubridy had been on it. What exactly could he say? He got the job Gerry Ryan had coveted and perhaps the disappointment of that contributed towards the stress he was under. As was rightly pointed out, that's showbusiness and he could never have assumed the job was his anyway. I'm sure there were Gerry Ryan fans watching this who wish they had given it to him instead of to Tubs. He has turned out to be a woeful choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

in the middle of a pandemic this is the stuff that sickens my h*le

"Old clip of Gerry Ryan talking about Lottie resurfaces for 10th anniversary"

apparently she couldnt go to italy coz ada pandimik a few months back

ah the poor thing.FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

The way he used to be slurping his drinks and eating on air was revolting. And his constant banging on about that hotel in NYC he'd be going to. Fitzpatricks ?
    He mentioned it so often it was a freebie for sure.

He could be entertaining at times sure but he was full of his own inflated self importance.

Heckler wrote: »
    The way he used to be slurping his drinks and eating on air was revolting. And his constant banging on about that hotel in NYC he'd be going to. Fitzpatricks ?

He could be entertaining at times sure but he was full of his own inflated self importance.

He mentioned the Mazda RX 8 (a dreadful car as it turned out) as well- there’s no doubt in my mind this was stealth advertising

it gets better today

"Television presenter Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh is suing her employers RTÉ, the Irish Independent has learned."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

rightmove wrote: »
    it gets better today

"Television presenter Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh is suing her employers RTÉ, the Irish Independent has learned."

Article mentions someone she complained about has passed on? Is that included for a reason or am I reading into something that isnt there?

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Article mentions someone she complained about has passed on? Is that included for a reason or am I reading into something that isnt there?

she doesnt come across as a nice individual anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Heckler wrote: »

I disagree about him been entertaining. I found him dreary, boring,smug and like you said full of his own over inflated self importance.

I never liked him could not stand him and that documentary just shows that when the going got tough he could not hack it. Instead of moving on with his life after his marriage broke down he went the wrong way. I am sure there would have been loads of admirers that would have loved to be with him and help him.

I remember him bragging about how healthy he was and then not long after that he was dead. Maybe if had stayed of the coke he might have got a few more years. That's what killed him that and him overdoing it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Gerry: And where would you like to be buried?
    Caller: Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And on that note.........

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

rightmove wrote: »
    it gets better today

She truly grinds my gears. She is trouble. I thought this before she took his action. RTE would be well rid of her. She is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

AMKC wrote: »

I never liked him could not stand him and that documentary just shows that when the going got tough he could not hack it. Instead of moving on with his life after his marriage broke down he went the wrong way

I wouldn't hammer someone for struggling to go on with their lives after their marriage breaks down. This whole 'when the going gets tough' is just guff. He was a human being with feelings. Yes he wasn't everybody's cup of tea but who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The documentary is repeated tonight, after 'The Late Late Show' (11.35pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Say what u like Gerry showed most of them how it’s done . Always liked Gerry told it as it was .

No not really. I watched the Eurovision from 1994 again and he came across as arrogant and embarrassing at times. He lost the run of himself and got carried away with stuff for example like "Wasn't that the best thing you ever saw?" when Riverdance finished. Wogan had to say "Steady on Gerry" a few times on the BBC commentary. The whole country was saying it too.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Gerry: And where would you like to be buried?
    Caller: Up to my balls in Bibi Baskin.

That was a classic, up there with with the Gareth o callaghan show when a man phoned in & asked "can I play a request, I'm celebrating my first job" and Gareth asks "what's the job?" And man says " blowjob"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

batman75 wrote: »
    She truly grinds my gears. She is trouble. I thought this before she took his action. RTE would be well rid of her. She is dangerous.

Yeah something not right there.Back a few years back her co-presenter on the Afternoon Show accused her of bullying in RTE, Sheena something was her name. iirc Blaithnaid is permanent staff in RTE so cant be sacked. The other girl was a freelancer and got let go, what a message to send.

Blaithnaid was left on the scrap heap for the last few years with little to no screen time at all. I wonder what she was doing in there, probably just going around chatting to staff and drinking coffee all day long. Now they've given her the Nationwide gig and less than two months into it she is suing them in the High Court, like wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Im watching this again,
    Discard the drink and drugs, he was 100 % better than RTE have at the moment
    That interview with Lavinia Kerwick was a game changer, he had compassion
    About the pay cut, he was a small fish in a big pond that didnt take paycuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Im watching this again,
    Discard the drink and drugs, he was 100 % better than RTE have at the moment
    That interview with Lavinia Kerwick was a game changer, he had compassion
    About the pay cut, he was a small fish in a big pond that didnt take paycuts

Also he was unable to live on half a million a year and was in financial difficulties. If anything he needed a pay rise.

Advertisement