Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Documentary RTE1 9:30PM 26/4h

Options
  • 23-04-2020 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

To mark the 10th anniversary of the death of one of the greatest Irish men of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Greatest Irish men of all time?

Bit of a stretch there fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Could there be a more hypocritical program with a bunch of talking heads fawning over someone who died of drug abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Long_Wave wrote:
    To mark the 10th anniversary of the death of one of the greatest Irish men of all time.

I'm a huge fan but I couldn't say one of the greatest Irish men ever. One of the greatest radio presenters or radio personality maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

pack of keyboard warriors with nasty comments incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 71,683 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anybody else get the feeling that this thread will be far more entertaining than the show itself?

*orders jumbo popcorn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

6 comments in two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭lukin

Hurrache wrote: »
    Could there be a more hypocritical program with a bunch of talking heads fawning over someone who died of drug abuse?

I think his use of cocaine is addressed in the program, whether it is criticised or not we will have to wait and see.

Yep. The true litmus test of a program like this is whether or not Gerry gets any sort of solid criticism in such "documentary".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yep. The true litmus test of a program like this is whether or not Gerry gets any sort of solid criticism in such "documentary".

Given that Dave Fanning refers to him as "the funniest person ever on radio" I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Dave fanning is in this documentary.......

Thanks for the heads up ....

The only thing more annoying than Dave Fanning is Eastenders ....

• Advertisement

I don't want to turn this thread into a moralistic debate but I don't think we should castigate Gerry Ryan for being a cokehead as some people have described him. Obviously taking illegal substances is against the law (even just being in possession of them is) but I always took the view about drug use that it's a personal choice. Yes cocaine has destroyed so many many lives but if people want to take it, that's up to them, if they are adults they know full well what they are getting into.
    Encouraging others to use them or supplying them to others; well that's a different story altogether.
    Also you have to bear in mind that Gerry Ryan's wife and children are still alive and they have to take their feelings into account. It would be very upsetting for them to read or see their father described as a drug abuser.
    The documentary has to tread a fine line between not ignoring it but also not being judgmental. It will be interesting to see how they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

The doc has to thread a fine line and that's not to be sniffed at

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Long_Wave wrote: »

The greatest Irish men of all time?

An overweight cocaine addict.... up there with Geldof is he?

omerin wrote: »
    The doc has to thread a fine line and that's not to be sniffed at
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

lukin wrote: »
    I don't want to turn this thread into a moralistic debate but I don't think we should castigate Gerry Ryan for being a cokehead as some people have described him. Obviously taking illegal substances is against the law (even just being in possession of them is) but I always took the view about drug use that it's a personal choice. Yes cocaine has destroyed so many many lives but if people want to take it, that's up to them, if they are adults they know full well what they are getting into.
    Encouraging others to use them or supplying them to others; well that's a different story altogether.
    Also you have to bear in mind that Gerry Ryan's wife and children are still alive and they have to take their feelings into account. It would be very upsetting for them to read or see their father described as a drug abuser.
    The documentary has to tread a fine line between not ignoring it but also not being judgmental. It will be interesting to see how they do that.

His child is stealing a living from rte and I anticipate it will not tread a fine line at all. They might say the minimum possible purely to avoid being accused of glossing over it but please dont get your hope's up of or rte making anything unbiased when it comes to rte staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

I think there is some confusion regarding gerry ryan doc. it is not about ryanair tonight and gerry ryan dj is during week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Certainly it's a personal choice, and so is being a moralistic hypocrite hosting shows on the impact of crime and drug abuse when you contribute to it.

I've no issue with a show about him, he was always on in my house, but I hope the reason for his demise is not glossed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

brookers wrote: »
    I think there is some confusion regarding gerry ryan doc. it is not about ryanair tonight and gerry ryan dj is during week?

They said just now on rte one that it's the DJ episode tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 85,085 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is all his kids and ex wife on this?

WARNING:

NO LAMBS WERE HARMED DURING THE MAKING OF THIS DOCUMENTARY.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is all his kids and ex wife on this?

Yeah apparently they got a bag of coke in his memory to celebrate the documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

10 years?
    Kinda seems longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No doubt he gets an easy ride...

Will they mention his involvement in the drugs industry that ravaged this country?

I never rated him, always came across smutty and vulgar; but he did come across as a very generous soul. Good soul..

Joe Duffeh there of course, at the mere mention of death.

walshb wrote: »
    No doubt he gets an easy ride...

Will they mention his involvement in the drugs industry that ravaged this country?

I never rated him, always came across smutty and vulgar; but he did come across as a very generous soul. Good soul..

Well you're going a bit a far there, "his involvement in the drugs industry" he bought a few bags of coke it's not like it made any difference to the drugs industry whatsoever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Obviously taking illegal substances is against the law (even just being in possession of them is) but I always took the view about drug use that it's a personal choice. Yes cocaine has destroyed so many many lives but if people want to take it, that's up to them, if they are adults they know full well what they are getting into.

Once the fact that he was extremely publicly critical of people who told illegal drugs is addressed then it will be a fair and balanced documentary.
    But what are the chances of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lots of stuff I didn't realise : just how middle class he was and his connection to the Haughey family

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I remember the time he died RTE were in turmoil over how to cover it. To say they had a conflict of interest was an understatement. To get the real news you had to go to other channels.
    I was in RTE myself in a nondescript capacity for under a year (few years prior to Ryan's death). He clearly would not have been one of those to look after his health, he used to eat mountains of chips at lunch in the canteen.
    He liked to be seen and heard. His programme was no hold barred I suppose. But he used to come out with lines like - I don't take the bus because of rich bastard syndrome. Not to everyone's taste.
    It was not him I felt sorry for but his children, who now have to live with the stigma of what Gerry Ryan did and was - both good side and bad side.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Cagney. Cool tash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Adam9213 wrote: »
    Well you're going a bit a far there, "his involvement in the drugs industry" he bought a few bags of coke it's not like it made any difference to the drugs industry whatsoever?

Yeh, because those buying it have nothing to do with it..

Same as receiving/buying stolen goods....; sure wasn’t me who robbed them, your honour!!

And even more telling when it’s a man employed by the state’s broadcaster....

Advertisement