Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Documentary RTE1 9:30PM 26/4h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

To be fair when he started to me he was a new voice to take the established and was great.
    I suppose he just gradually became part of the RTE machine, i think he be better suited to radio than TV,

I met Fanning a few times through work gigs and he seemed a regular enough guy, he may have had a few glasses
    but so had the rest of us as music stuff...
    I was always a fan of fanning as he introduced me to music i would not have discovered at that time...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Something that wasn't really mentioned was that he was taking cocaine for many years. I remember reading one of his confidants saying he took coke the night of the Eurovision in 1994.

Hard to get a handle on him. There seems to have been a constant unhappiness and restlessness in him and one wonders what all the excess (drugs, drink, food) was about.

By contrast, Dave Fanning seems far more chilled out and at ease with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

C__MC wrote: »
    2fm is some mess now in comparison to when you had proper house hold names presenting shows

His death finished 2fm, it never recovered

Different times. Back then, it was a case of "tune in after the break to hear the new Smiths song", and you had no choice but to stay tuned as you couldn't hear it anywhere else.

Nowadays who would listen to a music radio show when you can get what you want on spotify or elsewhere online. You still hear some of those DJs from that era on other radio channels now and half the time, they think that they're still in that time period in terms of how they present the show. (some of the DJs on classic hits for example). They still throw out the "there's a broken down car blocking a lane on the Naas road...." ....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,513 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would having random drugs tests on RTE presenters be a good idea, they could use the same as Gardaí use for motorists? After all their salary/fee's are being paid for with taxpayers money?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very likely it was changing behaviour in the family home, due to the combination of increased intake of drugs/drink. I think he might have gone a step too far, and maybe left drugs carelessly around in the home etc, such that his wife took the step to ask him to live his increasingly chaotic separately.

What makes you think she didn't share the coke habit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What makes you think she didn't share the coke habit?

Allegedly she did.

They both decided to give it up as it was getting too much.
    He wasn't able to so she kicked him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Granadino wrote: »
    Different times. Back then, it was a case of "tune in after the break to hear the new Smiths song", and you had no choice but to stay tuned as you couldn't hear it anywhere else.

Nowadays who would listen to a music radio show when you can get what you want on spotify or elsewhere online. You still hear some of those DJs from that era on other radio channels now and half the time, they think that they're still in that time period in terms of how they present the show. (some of the DJs on classic hits for example). They still throw out the "there's a broken down car blocking a lane on the Naas road...." ....

My information is that back then is coming back and the informed
    people are buying albums in whatever format and listening to it all.
    The "Smith song" as you call it much newer invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

After commenting and reading some of the posts here I feel kinda bad now for his family

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Granadino wrote: »

Agree, that format is very much old hat.
    Those of a certain generation want the music now. Not after the small talk, news or the ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yep, watched this last evening and it was mildly interesting. The bit where Gordon Ramsay wound him up was genuine tho, Gerry really did`nt like that, you could see it in his eyes and the term " street angel house devil "comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was off work that day listening.... Infairness that was the way the pair of them went on together... They seemed to have great chemistry on the show together... I loved when she was on.

God love her she must have felt sh*te afterwards.... I remember her saying during the show she was only joking as they were getting loads of upset callers...... Could you imagine twitter if that happened today!

I was working in Baggot street, very early that morning everyone in our office knew he was dead, it was no secret either about what he was getting up to and a few people said it to me before it was annouced they expected it was drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yep, watched this last evening and it was mildly interesting. The bit where Gordon Ramsay wound him up was genuine tho, Gerry really did`nt like that, you could see it in his eyes and the term " street angel house devil "comes to mind

He was a cut price Howard Stern , smart enough to run with it , his drug use is irrelevant .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I've always been a fan of Jeri Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

As w documentary I thought it was poor tbh, loads of emphasis on his early life but he wasn't known then so there's no real interest, all that stuff with his brother like as if he's going to say anything bad about his dead brother
    Ireland is a small country and the entertainment world even more so, he was renowned for being a loud mouth on and off the air throwing tantrums if he didn't get his own way.
    He never made the transition to tv despite being given loads of chances by rte
    A big fish in a very small pond he wouldn't have lasted til now on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

I really like Gerry. Very articulate intelligent broadcaster. He had a personality. He was larger than life. I miss him on the radio. Really enjoyed his LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

He never made the transition to tv despite being given loads of chances by rte
    A big fish in a very small pond he wouldn't have lasted til now on the radio

I agree he was poor on telly except for his LLS. As for radio I would disagree. I think he had a large following and people love irreverent broadcasters. But despite the buffoonery you knew their was a sharp mind ticking away in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Long_Wave wrote: »
    To mark the 10th anniversary of the death of one of the greatest Irish men of all time.

Are you a troll/ taking the piss mate?

We all know what he was , a heavy drinker and a serial drug abuser.

I personally never like the man.

Also made one of his former neighbours life on Castle Avenue, Clontarf a misery, they had to move out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Just another upper class junkie, he should not have been glorified in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

kravmaga wrote: »

Also made one of his former neighbours life on Castle Avenue, Clontarf a misery, they had to move out.

I've not heard this story, can you provide more info on what he did to this person?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I've always been a fan of Jeri Ryan.

Resistance is futile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He was a cut price Howard Stern , smart enough to run with it , his drug use is irrelevant .

Cut price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Quite liked Gerry Ryan. He had a bit of devilment about him. He was essentially a shock-jock that was polished up and brought into the mainstream. As others have said already, it was a pity he didn't go to the very top of the pile and get the LLS gig, (he would have been great).... and I suspect that really hurt him.

His 'lifestyle' was probably well known about by that time... and I think RTE just deep down, couldn't trust him...so went for the safe pair of hands ..Tubridy.

Thought the documentary was good, it went pretty easy on his drink/drug use... as expected.

His ex Wife or kids didn't contribute (thankfully) whilst Joe Duffy, Fiona Looney & Brenda Donnaghue are very hard to listen to....and mercifully didn't have too much input either :mad:

Harry Crosbie was very interesting and was the only one that alluded to the fact that he was a fiend for partying....and never wanted to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Say what u like Gerry showed most of them how it’s done . Always liked Gerry told it as it was .

'Tells it like it is'.... What exactly does that mean, in any context.

Take Trump for example... he tells it like it is.... (Inject or drink disinfectant...)

What exactly did Gerry Ryan tell.... like it was ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Just another upper class junkie, he should not have been glorified in this way.
    Sorely missed by drug dealing gangsters.

How many people, dying, are the likes of Gerry Ryan with their financing of gansters associated with ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I'm no fan of drug takers, but odd how musicians seem to get and have gotten a free pass. "I wrote this song when I was out of my mind". Fair enough, but...
    If someone is on the drink, the fags, the heroin, prescription meds etc, we feel some sympathy for them, but when it's cocaine, it's a different story. Same ****, wrecks your head at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

The way he was depicted as being some sort of ground breaking 'artiste', when he was just doing stuff that shock jocks in the UK and USA had been doing since the early 80's was very generous.

The line up of the cast of RTE lifers like Looney and Fanning lavishing nothing but praise on him doesn't do much for the credibility of the doc either.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

It was a terrible documentary, really. As already stated it was nothing but an RTE love in for one of their own.

Just the usual 'documentary' standard of a bunch of archive footage and his mates saying nothing but good things. Absolutely nothing emotive or even remotely interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Regardless of what I think of him as a person, I miss ‘The Gerry Ryan Show’.

More of an interesting mixture of things being discussed as opposed to Ryan’s limited topics of books and Trump...it seemed no topic was off-hand, plus he had more if a common rapport with the listener than Tubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Did they cover the Lambo episode? That was disgraceful carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The way he was depicted as being some sort of ground breaking 'artiste', when he was just doing stuff that shock jocks in the UK and USA had been doing since the early 80's was very generous.

The line up of the cast of RTE lifers like Looney and Fanning lavishing nothing but praise on him doesn't do much for the credibility of the doc either.

Exactly what I thought when watching it.
    Im not really interested in this 'junkie' angle some seem hellbent on pushing. He took cocaine sometimes, like a massive number of other people in the country, that is the reality of that side of it.
    What I did notice however, is that his shtick in this day and age, looked very dated, and his general demeanor was tiresome. Without being overly negative about the deceased, he came across as a bit of an a*se. A bit like gay byrne and all his facial gurning in the respect that, if they came along now, I dont believe they would be any way near as popular with people.

He is superior to tubridy, but that only highlights how poor tubridy is. It is kinda depressing when you realise the state of affairs there.

Advertisement