Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Documentary RTE1 9:30PM 26/4h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Fiona Looney, “he died and the world changed”

Ah jaysus hardly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Brenda

Hiiiiiiiiiii yaaaaaa Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Its a pity he didnt go on and get the Late Late gig. Gerry was able to ask the hard questions and have fun at the same time. Compared to Tubs for example. I dont think he'd have taken too well to have been sanitised and that is effectively why Tubs got the nod over him in the end. Given his lifestyle, would it have been short lived though?

Well given that it would've been him getting it instead of Tubs, who took over in 2009, then yes it would've been very short lived indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Remember him telling the women listening to his radio show to take off their bras.

Imagine tubs saying that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Gerry would have made a great LLS host :(

It might have been his saviour, I miss gerry when I see that tonight, England had princess of Wales but Gerry was ours
    I also wish we had them years back again when Gerry introduced sex to the Irish people in a funny way .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Remember him telling the women listening to his radio show to take off their bras.

Tubs wouldn’t be able to tie Gerry shoe laces, woeful in comparison

Well given that it would've been him getting it instead of Tubs, who took over in 2009, then yes it would've been very short lived indeed.

I suppose what i was really asking is, 'could the Late-Late gig have saved him or would it have perhaps fast forwarded his death?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good programme which in it's own way didn't pull too many punches.

It was all there, a good start, lost his way and a sad end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Mum was in a bad accident at work where she nearly died and was unfortunately not able to return to work. She credits having two small dogs needing feeding as one thing making her getting out of bed in the morning. The second thing she credits is the Gerry Ryan radio Show, she loved it, knew its characters, chasing vans down the M50, singing fanny songs.

She knew the moment he was not in that morning, that all was not well and was genuinely upset at his passing. We are all imperfect individuals, he was; but not without his strengths.

The first thing I do every morning now when I come downstairs is turn on the radio.

Dont underestimate the power of radio in connecting with people in this regard. He had that talent, it is special.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Surprised there wasn’t more funny anecdotes about his time on-air.

Like the time a woman called in to complain about how lazy her husband is - never putting the bins out, never picking up the dog’s poo...

Gerry then twigged that the caller was his wife :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That Gordon Ramsey moment was beyond cringeworthy.

I remember an incident with Ramsey and Ryan Tubs which was dreadful.
    I assume this is what you refer too?
    Was there something with Gerry as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

This...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Surprised there wasn’t more funny anecdotes about his time on-air.

Like the time a woman called in to complain about how lazy her husband is - never putting the bins out, never picking up the dog’s poo...

Gerry then twigged that the caller was his wife :D

I remember listening to thst. I think I copped it was his wife before he did.
    I also clearly remember his interview with Lavinia Kerwick. Powerful empathy and I don’t know of anyone who would have had the same interview with Lavinia.

I adored listening to Gerry. Yes he was a hypocrite in some ways especially regarding drugs . But I think he was a good person.

I think there must have been an insecurity there that made him be so bombastic and to over spend so much. He seemed to have a need to be the loudest, brashest, and must overly generous person in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gods Gift wrote: »

“You take off your bra, and I'll make the tea.”

Lisha wrote: »
    I remember listening to thst. I think I copped it was his wife before he did.
    I also clearly remember his interview with Lavinia Kerwick. Powerful empathy and I don’t know of anyone who would have had the same interview with Lavinia.

I adored listening to Gerry. Yes he was a hypocrite in some ways especially regarding drugs . But I think he was a good person.

I think there must have been an insecurity there that made him be so bombastic and to over spend so much. He seemed to have a need to be the loudest, brashest, and must overly generous person in the room

Nail on head here on everything.

Ramsay fond of coke too , but he’s an out and out prick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

I remember going to school the morning of his death
    Think fiona looney was presenting for him, she joked that gerry was dead but he really wasn't.

Coming home from school, it was confirmed he died suddenly.

Was weird alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Its a pity he didnt go on and get the Late Late gig. Gerry was able to ask the hard questions and have fun at the same time. Compared to Tubs for example. I dont think he'd have taken too well to have been sanitised and that is effectively why Tubs got the nod over him in the end. Given his lifestyle, would it have been short lived though?

I don't know, I could see him doing a show similar to Jonathan Ross style format.... I think he was abit too loud for the LLS.

I’m surprised Harry crosbie didn’t save him , he’s a very levelled headed guy and they were great friends . Maybe he was beyond redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

C__MC wrote: »
    I remember going to school the morning of his death
    Think fiona looney was presenting for him, she joked that gerry was dead but he really wasn't.

Coming home from school, it was confirmed he died suddenly.

Was weird alright

I was off work that day listening.... Infairness that was the way the pair of them went on together... They seemed to have great chemistry on the show together... I loved when she was on.

God love her she must have felt sh*te afterwards.... I remember her saying during the show she was only joking as they were getting loads of upset callers...... Could you imagine twitter if that happened today!

• Advertisement

Didn’t Lavinia turn out ok I remember thinking that girl wouldn’t be around in a month going back , she was a skeleton at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that i never seen that before.
    They say that lightening never strikes in the same place twice.
    Have a look at below on the tube, it take ma ages to upload properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwaPzYrYSyU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Liked him or lumped him, Gerry Ryan was a trailblazer. With all his ego and arrogance he was still a game changer for Irish media. Unlike keyboard warriors, he put himself out there, warts and wrinkles, never sniped from beneath the parapet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Adam9213 wrote: »
    Well you're going a bit a far there, "his involvement in the drugs industry" he bought a few bags of coke it's not like it made any difference to the drugs industry whatsoever?

Like Tesco, every little helps, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Id say Dave fanny and tubs helped him Hoover up the blow as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

Think he went downhill in his life when marriage broke up. Wonder what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

2fm is some mess now in comparison to when you had proper house hold names presenting shows

His death finished 2fm, it never recovered

Cal04 wrote: »
    Think he went downhill in his life when marriage broke up. Wonder what caused it.

Very likely it was changing behaviour in the family home, due to the combination of increased intake of drugs/drink. I think he might have gone a step too far, and maybe left drugs carelessly around in the home etc, such that his wife took the step to ask him to live his increasingly chaotic separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Very likely it was changing behaviour in the family home, due to the combination of increased intake of drugs/drink. I think he might have gone a step too far, and maybe left drugs carelessly around in the home etc, such that his wife took the step to ask him to live his increasingly chaotic separately.

Was he the only one doing drugs?

Advertisement