Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Back this morning quieter than expected...had to fill out a quick questionnaire before going in. Extra staff working and a lot of hand sanitizers at no time was anyone closer than the 2m and everyone adhering to cleaning rules. Staff closing off different areas at times to disinfect.
    Got my new program and fitness definitely has dropped off plus gained about 16 pounds and that’s purely from poor eating habits during lockdown. Even though I walked 5k most days and did on line spin class 3 times a week... proves the point that you will never out train a bad diet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Went for my first swim in almost 4 months today. I felt amazing all day, the best I have felt since I last swam! It just shows the damage the closure of pools and gyms has done to people's wellbeing. When everyone else was ranting about open hairdressers, open pubs, open shops etc etc, I often felt like a lone voice ranting about how opening up gyms and pools should be a higher priority than many other things.

Having time slots of swimming and gyms will benefit the well organised. No more last minute decisions to go to the gym for now. Not having access to showers after also requires a lot more planning, going somewhere (other than home) after the gym is now largely out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Physios be like - KERCHIIIIIIIIIIIING €€€€ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Had an afternoon slot, place was busy enough.
    90 minute slot is good as its takes some time to warm up & build up % in sets.
    Music off with 10 minutes to go to give nudge to people that its time to finish up & clean up.

My squat % has gone to ****, going to take a few weeks to build it up again.
    I can feel it in my legs already.
    My push press/clean was pretty good. Easier to keep that in check at home with dumbbell and kettle-bells.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Not open til the 1st, will give it til the weekend to find out what is going on. will be excited to get back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It was almost surreal to be in a rack squatting again.

Not for the bros beside me who were maxing out on squat within half an hour of opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I rang westwood and you can just rock up. I'm gonna go early tomorrow and wear a mask. I haven't been more excited about anything in ages and I had earlier posted I wasn't missing the gym, I think I was deluding myself!
    I'm happy though because I can run 10k now and that would have been a pipe dream a few months ago.
    I've lost 7kg in the last 6 weeks or so so will be good to pack some muscle back on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I rang westwood and you can just rock up. I'm gonna go early tomorrow and wear a mask. I haven't been more excited about anything in ages and I had earlier posted I wasn't missing the gym, I think I was deluding myself!
    I'm happy though because I can run 10k now and that would have been a pipe dream a few months ago.
    I've lost 7kg in the last 6 weeks or so so will be good to pack some muscle back on.

Let us know what it's like in there, e.g. are most wearing masks, is it packed, etc?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Let us know what it's like in there, e.g. are most wearing masks, is it packed, etc?

I will do. I used to go in the evenings and the place is always busy, so I'll prob get there around 7am tomorrow, hope it's not too hectic.

Probably only 30 in Your Fitness again this morning. Maybe 5 wearing masks but no one was in close proximity and people seem to be conscientious about wiping down bars and benches etc after using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

Probably only 30 in Your Fitness again this morning. Maybe 5 wearing masks but no one was in close proximity and people seem to be conscientious about wiping down bars and benches etc after using them.

Just home from there now, and yeah, 30 was probably the max while I was in. Nobody in a mask but everyone wiping down after using equipment.
    Also have a nifty little handheld disinfectant sprayer that the guy from reception went around with about every hour to spray everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Do you think people will change their routines much? I could see myself using less equipment, picking a couple of areas and just do a load more sets so as not to have to clean up all the time, on the flip side being at home and gym is 5min walk for me, it will be easier to break stuff up. July and Aug are going to be great!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I rang westwood and you can just rock up. I'm gonna go early tomorrow and wear a mask.

Anyone know if it's safe to wear a mask while doing strenuous exercise? Oxygen levels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 banana_split

DareGod wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's safe to wear a mask while doing strenuous exercise? Oxygen levels etc.

I don’t think I could wear one anyway.
    Was on a bus earlier so wore a mask for the first time (even though very few people were) and I found it horrible. Found myself getting very warm very quickly, so can only imagine what it would be like for weights / cardio training.
    I know I’d probably get used to it eventually but think my training would suffer while wearing one

People are safe from me when I don't have a mask. When I'm in the rack, I'm usually looking down at the hole my strength fell into...so no one is at risk should I have COVID

The ones I bought seem fairly breathable. I'm going to have to take it easy tomorrow anyway or I wont be able to walk/use my arms for a week.

I got my new program last night with a warning not to go full retard so I should be ok tomorrow

facepalm.gif

Quiet in WW clontarf still had to queue at 7am for nearly 30 mins. Good to be back. I am the only non staff member in a mask which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Quiet in WW clontarf still had to queue at 7am for nearly 30 mins. Good to be back. I am the only non staff member in a mask which is disappointing.

So, there is no booking system; they are simply limiting the number of people at any one time by making people wait outside?

JayRoc wrote: »
    So, there is no booking system; they are simply limiting the number of people at any one time by making people wait outside?

Something like that. When I was leaving no queue. There are signs saying 5 people to one area etc, like certain weights areas and whatnot. It was fine and no one was on top of each other but it was really quiet, I wonder what it'll be like at 6pm when it's usually mental.

• Advertisement

Queuing for 30 mins is very annoying. Though all the gyms are saying these measures should be relaxed over the coming weeks.

I'm curious about how the masks are working out for people. What kind of exercise were you doing and how did you find it with the mask on? Were you able to breathe properly? What kind of mask were you using exactly?

Queuing for 30 mins is very annoying. Though all the gyms are saying these measures should be relaxed over the coming weeks.

I'm curious about how the masks are working out for people. What kind of exercise were you doing and how did you find it with the mask on? Were you able to breathe properly? What kind of mask were you using exactly?

disposable chinese ones i got in lidl. I can breath fine in them yes, but i wasn't doing cardio. As I said I was the only person wearing one, so why they bother with making people queue etc is a bit silly if they're all going to be on top of each other with no masks once inside. But I suppose it's trial and error at the moment.

But in conclusion I'm going to keep going at that time because I can only see it being mental in the evenings, is anyone planning to go later?

Something like that. When I was leaving no queue. There are signs saying 5 people to one area etc, like certain weights areas and whatnot. It was fine and no one was on top of each other but it was really quiet, I wonder what it'll be like at 6pm when it's usually mental.
    disposable chinese ones i got in lidl. I can breath fine in them yes, but i wasn't doing cardio. As I said I was the only person wearing one, so why they bother with making people queue etc is a bit silly if they're all going to be on top of each other with no masks once inside. But I suppose it's trial and error at the moment.

Were they on top of each other or not? :D

Were they on top of each other or not? :D

No it was quiet, but I would imagine it'll be rammed later like it always is in the evenings, either that or they'll have a queue going out to Howth if it's one in one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

JayRoc wrote: »

They have implemented a booking system for the classes but considering everyone has to join the one queue it’s a bit silly. I was there at 6.05 this morning and had to queue for 10/15 mins to get in because there are only letting one person up the stairs at one time. Spin class has about 25 bikes but there was only about 10 in the class. Before 6.30 they had run out of lockers in the men’s changing rooms and were sending them to the kids if they needed to store stuff.

Given it’s just one queue in I can foresee riots later with people missing classes that they have booked for.

But I was impressed with the cleaning overall - as soon as class was over there was a cleaner waiting to get in to clean the room (after we had all cleaned our bikes ourselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

WW was working well this morning, place wasnt busy, pool up and running next week but sauna etc. working today. One thing they didnt have before was an online booking for classes so at least they have been prompted to move in this direction. I wasnt in the changing room but I gather they have created gaps in the lockers so that will be a plus

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    WW was working well this morning, place wasnt busy, pool up and running next week but sauna etc. working today. One thing they didnt have before was an online booking for classes so at least they have been prompted to move in this direction. I wasnt in the changing room but I gather they have created gaps in the lockers so that will be a plus

There were gaps alright but it looks like there were feck all of them available. I'll go again early tomorrow but I'm curious to know how it pans out later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

silverharp wrote: »

They didn't say anything in the mail about pool not being up yet?
    Wasn't happy to see they were taking payment today, really should have warned people when payment would start again, plenty who will not yet want (or may be unable for health reasons) to return but who won't want to cancel their membership.

• Advertisement

I swam a couple of lengths today, the pool was open just not the jacuzzi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement