Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone SE 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Generally the reviews that moaned about battery life was purely looking at the milliwatt hours number and comparing to the huge batteries in phones than have more power hungry screens.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I charge up the night before and plug out at 90 to 100%. Flight mode on for the night then approx 8am, or whenever the alarm is set,back to normal. Would be back on 10-15% by 9 or 10pm. 4g and Bluetooth on all day. Approx 1hr spotify, whatsapp during the day and emails.

It's nothing special, but it's grand. The big thing for me was getting a fast charger. Once or twice I didn't charge over night and it's nice knowing a quick blast of the 12 or 18w will top it up quickly.

On another note, Vodafone sent me x2 50 euro refunds this morning (so far), €165 credit (so far!) and after contacting them in Twitter due to their new price plans successfully applied for an unlock code (I'm payg) Great day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Vodafone eventually rang me back and processed my upgrade on the call. They admitted the website had "some technical problems". 256GB SE 2020 should be posted tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The battery is disappointing. No other way to put it. They brought most of the performance up to 2020 levels but forgot about the battery. It seems to be only slightly better than my iPhone 8. And that wasn’t great either.

I’ve gone back to my iPhone XS now and can’t see myself going back to the SE. Pity too, as I prefer the fingerprint ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

quarryman wrote: »
    The battery is disappointing. No other way to put it. They brought most of the performance up to 2020 levels but forgot about the battery. It seems to be only slightly better than my iPhone 8. And that wasn’t great either.

I’ve gone back to my iPhone XS now and can’t see myself going back to the SE. Pity too, as I prefer the fingerprint ID.

That's disappointing...I smashed the screen on my XS and was half thinking about getting an SE as replacement until the 12 comes out. I think i'll just fix the XS!

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »

Just out of interest, what was your usual usage for the phone and how long did you get SOT? How long where you getting from the phone, full day?

For the capacity of the battery, I think it does well considering. I'm happy wen it get's me through a day. But with fast charging, I really don't think the capacity is an issue anymore unless you like heavy gaming

BobbyT28

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Now I am torn as I wanted to get the wife an upgrade from her 6s but now tempted to get the XR if the battery is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

My battery felt terrible the first few days but seems to have improved a lot if that’s even possible

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    My battery felt terrible the first few days but seems to have improved a lot if that’s even possible

when you set up a new phone there's certain things that download from the cloud that can take ages.

if you've iCloud photos/Messages etc. also reinstalling all your apps from a backup. It all takes quite some time and a battery drain.

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what was your usual usage for the phone and how long did you get SOT? How long where you getting from the phone, full day?

For the capacity of the battery, I think it does well considering. I'm happy wen it get's me through a day. But with fast charging, I really don't think the capacity is an issue anymore unless you like heavy gaming

BobbyT28

I’ve no SoT numbers to provide. Compared to android iPhone makes that detail hard to determine.

So I’m going on my anecdotal experience. And I found myself saying “The battery is at 30% already?!” on the 8/SE far more than I did on my XS. I always felt paranoid that I needed to be nearer a charger using the SE. And on 4G (instead of WiFi) it just EATS battery.

It’s great to have the portrait mode (albeit with people only) on the SE but that still doesn’t keep me happy. Also, as much as I prefer fingerprint ID I actually prefer the swipe gesture now on the XS. I found it hard to go back to the home button.

The SE is a good phone but it’s firmly targeted at the price-conscious consumer as opposed to the performance-demanding market.

• Advertisement

BobbyT28

I’ve no SoT numbers to provide. Compared to android iPhone makes that detail hard to determine.

So I’m going on my anecdotal experience. And I found myself saying “The battery is at 30% already?!” on the 8/SE far more than I did on my XS. I always felt paranoid that I needed to be nearer a charger using the SE. And on 4G (instead of WiFi) it just EATS battery.

It’s great to have the portrait mode (albeit with people only) on the SE but that still doesn’t keep me happy. Also, as much as I prefer fingerprint ID I actually prefer the swipe gesture now on the XS. I found it hard to go back to the home button.

The SE is a good phone but it’s firmly targeted at the price-conscious consumer as opposed to the performance-demanding market.

Took mine off charge 7am at 100%.... 90 mins Bluetooth music for a run, couldn't tell you the SOT after that but by 3pm it was less than 35% battery left... Charge up again until 95%(ish) with 5w charger, didn't have my fast charger with me, and now it's 24%. I have been using it a lot today in fairness. Whatsapp, emails, Instagram etc. I know the battery is less than 1850mah. It's just disappointing and I keep expecting more compared to what it is!

I still love it and I would highly HIGHLY recommend a 12w or 18w charger. It does everything else perfect, no lag with great software, excellent camera, excellent sound from speakers, great screen, touch ID is top notch and love using Apple Pay in shops.

Just the battery is downfall but if you can live with charging everyday it's a solid phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Does anybody find the home button a little stiff? I am flicking between options 1, 2 and 3 and they're all similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

2 was default wasn't it? That's the one I'm using and finding it okay, its not a button like before but I'm finding it okay to use and double tap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Does anybody find the home button a little stiff? I am flicking between options 1, 2 and 3 and they're all similar.

Yep was thinking that myself, I’ll need to try each option properly but didn’t notice much difference

No issues here. Like above poster said it's not a physical button but a haptic engine giving you the feeling it's a button. So it's not stiffness. Just change home button haptic to 1,2 or 3.

2 is what I have it set to and have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭pedatron

Made a silly decision to buy one off of Currys/ PC World. Got an email saying 'Your order is on its way' last Monday with a tracking number attached. I understand delays in the current climate but it's almost a week later and the tracking number still isn't live on DPD. Anyone else order off them with better success?

I'm selling mine, bought 25th April. Receipt included.

- White 128GB
    - Unlocked, 10/10 new condition - not a mark on it it's just like it was out of the box, glass protector and case on it since opening.
    - Boxed with all original accessories.
    - Spigen clear ultra hybrid cover, spare glass protector, 12W Original Apple Plug & additional MFI approved USB Cable included also

480 EURO or 490 inc. next day registered post. I have 200+ positive and zero negative on Adverts.ie (haven't advertised there yet)

Please PM if interested.

rizzee wrote: »
    I'm selling mine, bought 25th April. Receipt included.

- White 128GB
    - Unlocked, 10/10 new condition - not a mark on it it's just like it was out of the box, glass protector and case on it since opening.
    - Boxed with all original accessories.
    - Spigen clear ultra hybrid cover, spare glass protector, 12W Original Apple Plug & additional MFI approved USB Cable included also

500 EURO or 510 inc. next day registered post. I have 200+ positive and zero negative on Adverts.ie (haven't advertised there yet)

Please PM if interested.

How come?

I change phones very frequently. I've done all I can with this and gave it a couple of weeks. Great phone, not so great battery. The additional charger does help though. Onto the next one, as they say.

https://www.adverts.ie/apple/iphone-se-2020-128gb-white-plus-extras/20349225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

How do you feel about refurbished phones? I'm in 2 minds about an iPhone 11 and an iPhone XS max. The XS is refurbished and it's similar price to the 11, The 11 is new from Apple. All I want is better battery (6s here) and more memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Hearing about the battery on these has put me off completely. It looks decent otherwise. Onto the s10e it seems.

Hearing about the battery on these has put me off completely. It looks decent otherwise. Onto the s10e it seems.

S10e not much better battery tbh. Talking from experience of both.

S10e not much better battery tbh. Talking from experience of both.

Yep. Had both phones. The iPhone 8 is marginally better, but not by much.

Has anyone actually successfully applied a screen protector to this se without having bubble all the way around the phone. I've tried 3 different brands and all have same issue.!!! Even one that comes with a device that helps you align it. My OCD is in overdrive!!!!

I never had this issue with the 7 or 8plus

Has anyone actually successfully applied a screen protector to this se without having bubble all the way around the phone. I've tried 3 different brands and all have same issue.!!! Even one that comes with a device that helps you align it. My OCD is in overdrive!!!!

I never had this issue with the 7 or 8plus

Yep first try. Glass I presume? If you have an air bubble I'd give it 24hrs or so and it should disappear. The heat from the screen removes it, it can be annoying at first but it will go. Unless you made a huge balls of it :D

Yep first try. Glass I presume? If you have an air bubble I'd give it 24hrs or so and it should disappear. The heat from the screen removes it, it can be annoying at first but it will go. Unless you made a huge balls of it :D

No air bubbles In the middle of the screen, apart from around the whole edge of it. I've reset it and held it down for 1min and the bubble just creeps back around the whole screen.

I hold it down and the bubble goes and once you lift your finger it starts to comeback. Really bloody annoying.

I'll send a pic on when I can later.

No air bubbles In the middle of the screen, apart from around the whole edge of it. I've reset it and held it down for 1min and the bubble just creeps back around the whole screen.

I hold it down and the bubble goes and once you lift your finger it starts to comeback. Really bloody annoying.

I'll send a pic on when I can later.

Just applied the 2nd one and the exact same out come!!! I'm starting to think the screen is the issue!!! I've never had an issue when applying any screen protector on any other phone. This is screen 4 now and all have the same bubbles around the edge. They can't all be bad. I can't see how the bubbles will go as the last one had it around the edge for over a week until I tried today.

@rizee what screen protector are you using, have you a link? Did you not have any edge bubble.

Reading some forums and because the edge on the se is slight curve on the screen apparently, it doesn't stick properly

• Advertisement

I got a 4 pack of case friendly ones from amazon. Are yours case friendly or Edge to edge? If using a case it might lift yours a little?

Just swapped the phone and 100 euro for a new 64gb iPhone 11...

Advertisement