Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone SE 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just sold my phone (Android) this evening to get this when it's announced! iPhone 8 size with the A13 chip. I'd be happy with that! Looking forward to announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

You sold your current phone before the one you want to get is even announced, never mind released?

EGriff wrote: »
    You sold your current phone before the one you want to get is even announced, never mind released?

Yep. I B&S phones regularly and I'm always on GSMArena and similar sites daily.

Sold my iPhone 11 2 weeks ago for a Note 10+ but it's too big, got rid of that while the price is still strong.

Anyone heard any updates on this? I'm constantly checking around, some sites saying this Wednesday and some have said tomorrow to interrupt the OnePlus8 Event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

rizzee wrote: »
    Anyone heard any updates on this? I'm constantly checking around, some sites saying this Wednesday and some have said tomorrow to interrupt the OnePlus8 Event.

Will be this week anyway!

• Advertisement

Pacifico wrote: »
    Will be this week anyway!

And now we wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Finally announced. Preorders start on Friday.

64GB: $399, €499

128GB: $449,€549

256GB: $549, €669

4.7” retina HD screen, A13 chip, 12 MP camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

Starts at €499 here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was hoping it'd start at €449 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Add in Irish tax to the base mode so we're comparing like with like and you end up with $490.77, which is around €450. So it's about €50 dearer here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I won't be paying the VAT anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

No night mode-was going to buy if it had, was always a long shot though
    Not same sensor as iPhone 11 camera either-original se had same camera as highest end phone at the time (SE)
    Guess I’ll try and nurse by beat up 7 through to the 12 launch for the pro or the 5.4” 12, the 11 is just too big

Could these be bought on Apple UK and parcel motel to save money or?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Could these be bought on Apple UK and parcel motel to save money or?

Yes but add on the parcel motel charge plus the extra insurance to cover the cost of the phone if you save enough for a six pack of cans I’d be surprised.

Right now it’s £419 which using Revolut is €481 + parcel motel charge of €3.95 + insurance € 3.50 = €488.45. Ok slightly more than a six pack of cans but €10.55 saving is hardly worth it.

4GB of Ram apparently I need to know the MAH! of the battery before I decide but I think I’ll wait for the plus version I know it’s delayed.

My boyfriend is thinking of getting a 256gb SE but it’s €699 but if he waited till September he’d get a iPhone 12 for €999 hmmmmm decisions, decisions.

Yes but add on the parcel motel charge plus the extra insurance to cover the cost of the phone if you save enough for a six pack of cans I’d be surprised.

Right now it’s £419 which using Revolut is €481 + parcel motel charge of €3.95 + insurance € 3.50 = €488.45. Ok slightly more than a six pack of cans but €10.55 saving is hardly worth it.

Fair point, better with Irish site, thanks!

Edit - just another question - will they come to some networks locked? If might save a few bob that way too, if so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    No night mode-was going to buy if it had, was always a long shot though
    Not same sensor as iPhone 11 camera either-original se had same camera as highest end phone at the time (SE)
    Guess I’ll try and nurse by beat up 7 through to the 12 launch for the pro or the 5.4” 12, the 11 is just too big

It looks the iPhone 12 Pro will have a 6.1 inch screen same as the 11.

Fair point, better with Irish site, thanks!

Edit - just another question - will they come to some networks locked? If might save a few bob that way too, if so!

They will but having a locked phone is a great asset. I can jump to a new network every 30 days if I wish. A locked one you need to spend - and it depends on the carrier - about €120 in credit. It’s similar to the parcel motel option. You might save some money but if you were to pay yourself for the time you’ll be in the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

It looks the iPhone 12 Pro will have a 6.1 inch screen same as the 11.

Ugh really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Ugh really?

Yep, though I would expect it to be slightly smaller than the current XR/11 due to smaller bezel and possibly thinner form factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

This has NFC with Reader Mode according to the Apple Website?

Does that mean it can read Leap Cards ?

pad199207 wrote: »
    This has NFC with Reader Mode according to the Apple Website?

Does that mean it can read Leap Cards ?

Can read but not write which is what needed to be able to top up.

It can read and write to NFC cards such as Leap cards (as can other iPhones with NFC since iOS 13) but the iOS Leap card app with support for this functionality is still in development and not due until "late 2020".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How long does it normally take for carriers like Three to have options for the new phone with bill pay?

I was hoping to buy this outright when it came but laptop has crapped the bed so the 500 or so set aside for the iPhone is being used elsewhere unfortunately

It can read and write to NFC cards such as Leap cards (as can other iPhones with NFC since iOS 13) but the iOS Leap card app with support for this functionality is still in development and not due until "late 2020".

sorry yeah I forgot write ability came in the iOS 13SDK, been a while since I wrote some code :pac:

Hopefully the design means the 12 won’t end up with the bricky iPhone 5 design either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I personally love the original 5/5S/SE design and will be sad when the day comes for me to abandon it. As a current SE owner, the size increase is just off-putting. I really don’t like phones bigger than the original SE model (tried the 6 when it came out first, the year after having and loving the 5s, and found myself having to sell it after a few months to rebuy a 5s, didn’t like having to use it two-handed and just found it too big and bulky). I’m disappointed too that the new white edition is only white on the back, would prefer a front and back all-over colour scheme.

I’ve resisted this big phone craze this long but I guess I won’t have much choice anymore once my current SE gets too old for iOS upgrades, might have to take care of it more carefully if I want it to last. Either that or I’ll have to finally give in to the bulky big screen life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Nice phone, I'd definitely pick one up if I was in the market....

Please let users change default browser though and support additional web codecs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with making a decision,

I moved from apple to Redmi Note 8 Pro (Android) after being away from Android since my Nexus6P days and I absolutely hate the camera, it's utter garbage. I've always had iPhones and really miss the camera. My wifes 8+ takes far better photos and that's 4 years old. Also, smart notifications from Redmi to Fenix 5X Plus has been a disaster, it very rarely works, I know that this is the connect app, but I just didn't have these issues with iPhone.

I'm thinking of getting this to get back into the apple echo system again, the wife has 8+ so she will probably take the iPhone Se 2020 from me I will get the new iPhone when it comes out. Although the screen is smaller, I think the camera will be leaps and bounds better than the Redmi. Also missed wireless charging, glad to see it has this, fast charging and NFC.

Do you think this a good idea? €499 is the max I wan to pay for a new iPhone and also I imagine the insurance and repair will be slightly cheaper than the more expensive apple phones.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with making a decision,

I moved from apple to Redmi Note 8 Pro (Android) after being away from Android since my Nexus6P days and I absolutely hate the camera, it's utter garbage. I've always had iPhones and really miss the camera. My wifes 8+ takes far better photos and that's 4 years old. Also, smart notifications from Redmi to Fenix 5X Plus has been a disaster, it very rarely works, I know that this is the connect app, but I just didn't have these issues with iPhone.

I'm thinking of getting this to get back into the apple echo system again, the wife has 8+ so she will probably take the iPhone Se 2020 from me I will get the new iPhone when it comes out. Although the screen is smaller, I think the camera will be leaps and bounds better than the Redmi. Also missed wireless charging, glad to see it has this, fast charging and NFC.

Do you think this a good idea? €499 is the max I wan to pay for a new iPhone and also I imagine the insurance and repair will be slightly cheaper than the more expensive apple phones.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

Sounds like it's the perfect phone for you! The camera they're putting in the SE is the same lens as the main one in the iPhone 11 , and combined with the excellent chip for rendering photos/videos it should be excellent.

Bang for buck I couldn't think of a better deal at that price range right now but maybe wait for reviews :p

Advertisement