Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

509055.jpeg

Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

wakka12 wrote: »
    Some areas of alarming growth are Belarus +1000 cases in last 48 hours, Singapore 500 in last 48hr, Ecudaor 3000 cases in the last 48 hours , Russia 3200 in the last 48 hours, Turkey 10,000 new cases in the last 48 hours, Brazil 2200 in the last48 hours, and Japan almost 1000 cases in the last 48 hours

Is this not the result of more testing being done overall ?

Daily number of cases is irrelevant until the backlog is cleared. They could tell us there was1000 new cases today, but most could be over 2 weeks old at this stage and not relevant to current situation. The data we need is the positive tests by test date. That would tell the real story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

509055.jpeg

Naas

Who paid for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Some areas of alarming growth in the last 48 hours are:
    Singapore 500

Your future, ladies and gentlemen, after a pointless and exceedingly expensive five-week lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Vudgie wrote: »
    What do you suggest genius?

Thank you for the compliment. For a start, given the situation we are in, some openness and insight into the reasoning behind the decisions would be nice. But that would assume that they are reasoned. Scientists don't work on 95%. A test is either 100% complete and accurate or it has failed. The scientists working on this in Ireland may be doing a good job, but they will not allow any movement in restrictions until they see a 100% result. It is up to the government to balance the work/view of the scientists with the greater good. The government have failed in that regard. Instead they give us spin and managed communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Where does George be getting this 100k cases a day ballax from. Gob$hite is absolutely stealing a living.

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Who paid for that?

John

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It must be bad Gloomy George is being positive :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Anyone else look at who thanked a post to save time while scrolling through the thread?? when i see the same couple of lads thanked a post,i know i can scroll on to more worthwhile posts :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Daily number of cases is irrelevant until the backlog is cleared. They could tell us there was1000 new cases today, but most could be over 2 weeks old at this stage and not relevant to current situation. The data we need is the positive tests by test date. That would tell the real story

I would have thought backlog tests would be added to the relevant previous numbers, after all that's how they would do their trending/projections. Would make little sens to log them under the date the test was completed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,824 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty

ECDC has us at 7393 cases after inclusion of tests sent to German laboratories not included in the total.
    I'll wait for the official update as the German figures have been causing confusion - can never work out if they are included or not. We may see some clarity, but I'm not holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Who paid for that?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

its for unclaimed bodies

Where does George be getting this 100k cases a day ballax from. Gob$hite is absolutely stealing a living.

100k cases a day would be with 0 restrictions or social distancing took place from day1

Strazdas wrote: »
    Watching the Angelus just there : lovely touch to put portrait pics of Irish healthcare workers instead of the usual material

I'd prefer if our healthcare workers weren't associated with religion. It took long enough to separate religion from healthcare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

John

Good man John, always liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some areas of alarming growth in the last 48 hours are:
    Belarus +1000 cases
    Singapore 500
    Ecudaor 3000
    Russia 3200
    Turkey 10,000
    Brazil 2200
    Japan almost 1000 cases in the last 48 hours

Vodka and saunas not working for belarus. Who would have thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

6.30pm for today’s briefing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

George Lee going fulll Gemma?

Never go full Gemma

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

6:30 is the briefing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Daily update probably delayed as Tony had to get to the DOH from Government buildings

And he probably has to have his dinner so he doesn't ate the head off whichever journo pisses him off

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Glenomra wrote: »
    544 new cases only in Sweden, two times our population, during the last day. An exemplar in how to manage affairs without imposing a draconian lockdown like we did.
    Ok where to start with this nonsense...870 versus 263 deaths would be a start.
    We are also testing almost double the amount of people Sweden are per million..
    Exemplar? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

keynes wrote: »
    What I said was the 15000 number was wildly incorrect and this casts doubt on the values R_0 now being estimated by the same researcher. All of these estimates are ridiculous given that they only hold in the environment at the time of estimation and without attendant policy changes. While the 15000 figure became (retrospectively) the figure without a lockdown, the R_0 figure would also be surely be different without a lockdown. (FWIW, I never suggested 15000 would be manageable for the health system. My point concerned the general usefulness and applicability of these estimates/projections)

Why would the 15k figure be ridiculous.
    Of course they were predictions based on no/little measures being taken.
    (people were talking about St Patrick's Day parades etc going ahead at one stage).

The usefulness of the prediction is that things were done/mitigation happened.
    And the 15 k figure and high R0 figures were thankfully not seen.

I really don't understand the point youre making.

Especially since what matters is whether or not the Health Service was or was not overwhelmed.You seem to be clinging to the details of whether it was R0 of 3 or R0 of 4, whether it was 10k or 15k and completely dismissing a researchers advice on that basis when what matters is with any othose numbers the health service would have been overwhelmed.

Thats what matters and it seems to be an academic afterthought for you.
    Its just weird.

Beasty wrote: »
    I'll wait for the official update as the German figures have been causing confusion - can never work out if they are included or not. We may see some clarity, but I'm not holding my breath

Except when passing joggers;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Stheno wrote: »
    Daily update probably delayed as Tony had to get to the DOH from Government buildings

And he probably has to have his dinner so he doesn't ate the head off whichever journo pisses him off

Hope it’s fish only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

When I go out for my daily exercise myself and my family can manage to social distance from other walkers but when we are crossing bridges cyclists won’t wait they fly past and they aren’t social distancing they seem to think that because they are moving at speed they can’t spread the virus, they think they have special status and it’s infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stheno wrote: »

Patience of a saint might be a bit of an anachronism but ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

polesheep wrote: »
    I'd prefer if our healthcare workers weren't associated with religion. It took long enough to separate religion from healthcare.

I don't think it's meant to connect the two. Some of the healthcare workers pictured are non nationals and probably not Catholic - just meant to be a shout out of sorts to all of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement