Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm still hearing people say stuff like "I've rearranged my Portuguese holiday to August from June". Utter delusion.

The penny still hasn't dropped with many.

I had holidays planned for late autumn but the risk is too much and I won't be going and I don't care about it.

It's others things that will be lost. Villages and towns deserted. A few cold drinks on a summers evening. Bank holiday weekends turning into quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head with the first word, I would hazard a guess that a big % of people on the roads weren't on essential travel. How do you stop it without checkpoints?

You can run the checkpoints more efficiently. Funnelling 2 and 3 lane roads in to one lane and checking one car at a time when there are 4 guards present, and stopping HGVs etc, isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

easypazz wrote: »
    U2 pay the tax that they are required to pay. Nothing wrong with that.

didn't they move their tax base to a haven a few years ago to avoid paying more in ireland after a slight change in the law here? they were heavily criticized for it as i recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Say that to a healthcare worker and see what reaction you get.

I just said it to my wife,a nurse, and she said tell him to feck off and pay his taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

We shouldn't have a accepted anything from that tool.
    Where does he pay his taxes

...and that's enough boards for today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

You hit the nail on the head with the first word, I would hazard a guess that a big % of people on the roads weren't on essential travel. How do you stop it without checkpoints?

For starters they should make it 2 people max. per car.

That would sort a lot of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

omicron wrote: »
    You can run the checkpoints more efficiently. Funnelling 2 and 3 lane roads in to one lane and checking one car at a time when there are 4 guards present, and stopping HGVs etc, isn't necessary.

It is necessary to get the message across to people who don’t need to be on the roads. They only way to stop them is to sicken them with checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Commisioner Drew Harris has asked/urged the public to report breaches in current rules to the Gardai

The person that originally sent the picture to the group reported it to the Gardaí at Dundrum and they had a car up 20 minutes later to move people on. The picture was taken from the persons house that overlooks the park so I'm not going to post it up for privacy reasons but it's obvious it's not just family groups and there are circa 150-200 people in a realitively small area. There's also a badminton net set up and people playing.

Like I said earlier this is an upper middle class area and access to the park is almost impossible to block off.

where?

None of my business. They have not been accused of any crime anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

There was a myth flying around here a few days ago, that the death figures in North Italy, for Q1 this year, are much the same as last year.

Now I know Madrid is in Spain, but I would imagine this data is similar to Northern Italy.
    An analysis of death records in the Madrid region covering the second two weeks of March suggests that the real number of coronavirus deaths could be much higher than official figures state. The records show an unexplained rise in mortality of around 3,000 people during this period.

Between March 14 and 31, Madrid’s civil registries issued 9,007 burial licenses, according to figures released on Tuesday by the Madrid regional High Court. This is more than twice as many deaths as were recorded during the entire month of March 2019, which was 4,125 according to the National Statistics Institute (INE).

The INE data is not available in 15-day intervals, but based on the monthly figures, it is possible to estimate that there were an average of 133 deaths a day in the Madrid region in March 2019, which multiplied by 18 equals 2,394 deaths between March 14 and 31 of last year.

During the same period this year, there were 9,007 deaths – an increase of 6,613. Yet official figures put the number of deaths due to the coronavirus during that time period at 3,439.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-04-08/coronavirus-deaths-in-madrid-could-be-3000-above-official-figures.html

• Advertisement

U2 pay the tax that they are required to pay. Nothing wrong with that.

Time to look at that word 'required'.

polesheep wrote: »
    I just said it to my wife,a nurse, and she said tell him to feck off and pay his taxes.

But they do pay their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Open 2 lanes. One for essential workers coming or going to work. Checkpoint at the end. If you're not essential and can't prove it with ID. Then to the side with you or turned back.

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sportsdes/status/1247958225976164352

What the hell is wrong with people???

Well, when you block a major road, people tend to get stuck in traffic.

Time to look at that word 'required'.

Are you accusing them of wrong doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

None of my business. They have not been accused of any crime anyway.
    but out then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://twitter.com/sportsdes/status/1247958225976164352

What the hell is wrong with people???

Maybe they are coming home from work or going to work at a night shift or going to do a food shop. There's no law against a grocery shop. Do you want them all to walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

fullstop wrote: »
    It is necessary to get the message across to people who don’t need to be on the roads. They only way to stop them is to sicken them with checkpoints.

Penalty points and fines are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Poorside wrote: »
    Self entitled and selfish.

In fairness two lanes of traffic cut to one and every car been stopped even then smallest amount of traffic won’t be long getting tailed back lots of people still working

but out then

Tell us what crime they are committing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Sure she did.:rolleyes:

Are you accusing them of wrong doing?

No. I'm accusing revenue of not doing their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

froog wrote: »
    interesting. i'm no immunologist but it sounds like you would expect. the people who needed antibodies the most made the most (older people). the virus even though mild in all these cases most likely required more antibodies in the older people. i'm pretty sure antibodies are ramped up when the invader appears once your body has learned how to make them, so i don't think this is too much to worry about.

just my thrupence.

I would have concerns that those not producing a critical level of antibodies will lack immunity going forward.

During the 1918 flu pandemic - there was a number of waves of the disease - including at least one deadlier strain. Hopefully this does not occur eith COVID-19. However if it does - it will leave a lot of those who have been infected at risk from the disease again.

Also kind of plonks the idea of 'herd immunity" right on its head - if this is a feature of the disease tbh.

Gardai caused it? If these people stayed at home there would be no tailback!!!

A good number of these people would have been working. Checkpoints are required, but a decent proportion of people still need to travel for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Tell us what crime they are committing?
    who said he is committing a crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Decision on state exams due on Friday, any chance of schools returning soon?

Sure she did.:rolleyes:

You are welcome to come and ask her yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,607 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lmfao It's ok as long as toolbox bono is paying more tax than the average person, open your tiny mind man
    Is there others on this morning mysterious list that you give out about not paying tax?
    Can you give us the full list?
    Can you then give us the list of these types who have given ten million euro to help against this pandemic?

who said he is committing a crime

Non issue then, they obey the law same as the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

5 weekends in a row with had storms, and now hardly a drop of rain.

Coincidence or consequence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement