Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

No, they are not taking that step until they absolutely need to. Cooperation of the public has by and large been excellent. By taking a harder approach we risk losing some goodwill
    There have already been reports in holiday areas of holiday homes being reoccupied, so much for that particular segment of the public's cooperation.

We have one of the main domestic holiday breaks coming up, the only people who whose 'goodwill' will be lost are those irresponsible idiots who refuse to comply with the restrictions the vast majority of us are abiding by. The Irish Time's happy clappy article does not help in that respect.

Dublin and to a much lesser extent Cork are the main concentrations of wild infection in the country.

It is totally irresponsible to allow numbers from those areas migrate to potentially speed the spread of COVID-19 into unaffected holiday locations, unless of course that is the intention.

On their track record it's more probable that it's a mixture of focus group indecisiveness, and political calculation.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Something went wrong here with nursing home clusters. That has skewed the death rates IMHO.

Otherwise, we are doing well.

We may also be ensuring nursing home cases are included while it seems others are inconsistent at best in including these in fatality data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Something went wrong here with nursing home clusters. That has skewed the death rates IMHO.

Otherwise, we are doing well.

Private nursing homes make their money by trying to run things as cheaply as possible. That is totally inappropriate in a pandemic, as Spain has found out.
    Elderly residents of some care homes were found “completely abandoned” by the Spanish Military and some were even “dead in their beds”, said the Defense Minister, Margarita Robles….

Numerous staff has abandoned nursing homes after the detection of COVID-19 cases to take care of themselves, ignoring the sick and residents who were in serious conditions, said the Defense Minister in the interview…

Pedro Sánchez, Spanish Prime Minister has called to make all privately-owned nursing homes nationalized, similar to his previous nationalization of the private hospitals. This was done to ensure that these places are provided with better access to sufficient staff and adequate equipment.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820711855/spanish-military-finds-dead-bodies-and-seniors-completely-abandoned-in-care-home

• Registered Users Posts: 17,385 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's a more reliable metric for judging progress than cases - though there is understandably a lag.

Is the arcgis site with the Irish stats down? Anywhere else have the same data?

https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

https://coronavirus-ireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

But others took a while to succumb like the Fountains Of Wayne guy.

That's why I said we don't know when they got infected

• Advertisement

Because it raises the risk of transmission. Their presence is automatically a burden on services in the area which means other people inevitably end up doing more and being exposed to more people, for example, a shop the person may visit. Social distancing is not a fail safe. If people just follow the rules this will be over much more quickly.

If you were to bring everything you need with you. In principal you would not interact with anyone more than you would by staying at home. If you lived in a built up area but at a holiday house in a rural location the risk would actually decrease as the likelihood encountering someone while in your 2k radius is much reduced

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

it was "nice" knowing you,

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Today's Stats for Deaths Per One Million Population - make of it what you will.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population.png

Can you justify why there are a number of countries missing from that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

What’s the longest wait for results? Anyone know. I’m 12 days waiting now .

Close relative is now 9 days and a friend of mine is now 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

bekker wrote: »
    There have already been reports in holiday areas of holiday homes being reoccupied, so much for that particular segment of the public's cooperation.

We have one of the main domestic holiday breaks coming up, the only people who whose 'goodwill' will be lost are those irresponsible idiots who refuse to comply with the restrictions the vast majority of us are abiding by. The Irish Time's happy clappy article does not help in that respect.

Dublin and to a much lesser extent Cork are the main concentrations of wild infection in the country.

It is totally irresponsible to allow numbers from those areas migrate to potentially speed the spread of COVID-19 into unaffected holiday locations, unless of course that is the intention.

On their track record it's more probable that it's a mixture of focus group indecisiveness, and political calculation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced enforcement tomorrow evening. It is too big risk to count on people good will. And those who actually have been doing it out of a good will and seeing how others are breaking it and damaging their effort, will be more than happy to see it signed.

By not doing it they are rewarding "baddies" and make good willers - suckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you were to bring everything you need with you. In principal you would not interact with anyone more than you would by staying at home. If you lived in a built up area but at a holiday house in a rural location the risk would actually decrease as the likelihood encountering someone while in your 2k radius is much reduced

That’s never going to happen, which is why the rules are in place.

Stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Have people seen the video of that Gemma wan abusing the Garda checking regs at a scenic spot. saying she's his master?
    It's people like her that put the rest of us at risk..I wish the Gardaí could use the new laws to deal with the likes of that carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Paul Reid said it on Sunday and the CMO yesterday.

The way it works is I get tested today. This is included in the figure for tests completed today. .

So that is swabbed but not test completed, those figures are never released, we only get a weekly figure for tests.

The day the result comes back (say April 14) if positive it will be included in the new cases figure on that day.
    Those figures are never released, we only get a weekly figure for tests.

The daily new cases figure is quite simply the number of positive lab results received on that date and could be from tests completed any day in approximately previous 14 days.
    Again we those figures are never released, we only get a weekly figure for tests.
    All along each day you had more tests being completed than results coming through.

Now each day you have more results coming through than tests completed as the backlog is cleared by the German lab.

So how many test have the Irish labs done this week not including the German results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hold on a second. Learn some reading comprehension.

"Otherwise" denotes that apart from the nursing home issues we are doing well. My post isn't celebrating the fact that there are high death counts in the nursing homes. Obviously something has went horribly wrong there with controlling infection.

I never said wipe out the nursing homes ffs.

To be fair your post read like something out of a monty python skit

" Well apart from all the dead people, we ain't doing half bad"...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭growleaves

deise08 wrote: »
    Have people seen the video of that Gemma wan abusing the Garda checking regs at a scenic spot. saying she's his master?
    It's people like her that put the rest of us at risk..I wish the Gardaí could use the new laws to deal with the likes of that carry on.

I think you're confused. The new laws don't make it illegal to verbally challenge the Gardaí (however wrongheaded). Its not a lockdown on speaking in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

What’s the longest wait for results? Anyone know. I’m 12 days waiting now .

Heard 17 days for one, still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

From the UK: Coronavirus doctor's diary: 'Our hospitals weren't made to use this much oxygen'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52187826

"One of the issues is that while beds have oxygen next to them, we've never needed such a large flow of oxygen on the ward," says Tom Lawton. "We have something like 250 litres per minute available for each ward, and about 3,000 available for the hospital - which again, has never been an issue before. But if you're using 50 litres per minute for each patient, then that's suddenly only five on a ward and 60 in a hospital - and we need more than that.

"It's not just us, it's also hospitals around the country - they weren't designed for this level of oxygen use."

God love her,she taking offence at gaurds taking plate numbers

Calls herself a patriot,has quite clearly never attended an easter commeration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

when did the people that died yesterday get sick (roughly)?

According to studies median time from symptoms to death is ~ 20 days give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

Heard 17 days for one, still waiting.

Colleague of mine waiting 16 day, health care worker but not frontline. Their symptoms have cleared but cannot return to work until they are tested. Due to be swabbed tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    That’s never going to happen, which is why the rules are in place.

Stay at home.

Oh I know, when you given Irish people an inch some will take a mile, but in principle if people can be trusted with the inch you give them that is safe, we should be mature enough to only take the inch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Ah have you not heard, we're meant to be positive with all this sh!t.

Probably all the spiritual voodoo peddlers, who think positive energy can magic away this virus! :P

Anyone with their head screwed on tight, knows that this country is in a very serious situation right now. This crisis has been poorly managed so far, and we will be very lucky if we get out of this without a large death toll. It's already large considering our tiny population!

(But of course we'll be labelled as doom mongers just for telling the truth) :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How bizarre this tweet would be, if shown to somebody in 2019.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1247603967867203586?s=19

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Originally Posted by humberklog View Post
    Disappointed to see us pulling away from Denmark numbers wise. Denmark started with higher numbers than us, especially fatalities (of which they took a big hit early on). Then for a while we were tracking along in cases much the same (also Malaysia too) but in the last few days our cases have constantly been higher. At the moment: Cases Irl- 4273 and Dk 3757 and Deaths at Irl. 120 and Dk 139.

**Denmark have a slightly higher population and higher population density.
    Their deaths per million is still higher. 26 versus 24.**

I posted this on the 3rd (4 days ago) and the reply in **is from Professor Moriarty**

We've overtaken Denmark now in death/m. Ireland 43 to Denmark's 35 as of today.

Not to put a downer on our results but I'd rather be in Danish shoes at this minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

It's a lot, it's a lot, it's a lot, it's a lot
    It's a lot, it's a lot, it's a lot, like life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How bizarre this tweet would be, if shown to somebody in 2019.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1247603967867203586?s=19

I never liked jogging. Something sinister about not running as fast as you can for the distance being travelled. Otherwise you could just walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I never liked jogging. Something sinister about not running as fast as you can for the distance being travelled. Otherwise you could just walk.

Jogging is a poor mans running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Meanwhile in Murica

How the coronavirus led to the highest-ever spike in US gun sales

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52189349

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wish like I felt there was something to look forward to right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Probably all the spiritual voodoo peddlers, who think positive energy can magic away this virus! :P

Anyone with their head screwed on tight, knows that this country is in a very serious situation right now. This crisis has been poorly managed so far, and we will be very lucky if we get out of this without a large death toll. It's already large considering our tiny population!

(But of course we'll be labelled as doom mongers just for telling the truth) :rolleyes:
    Serious question. On what we have seen in other countries How many did you think were going to die here? I'd be inclined to watch Denmark as close as any other country. Similar population similar lockdown in place. This enemy is invisible , very hard to halt it especially when some fkrs will not follow the guidelines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement