Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Timing I’d say. But hopefully it’s an end of all back door and group QF nonsense for good.

Doubt it

Things could return to qualifers/super 8s for 2021

Have to feel sorry for the weak teams this year, barring a miracle there not beating Dublin or Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭henke

So in the football they are maintaining the provincial draws that were already made, however this year in the Super 8s it was due to be Connact/Ulster plus two qualifiers and Leinster/Munster plus two qualifiers. So with that draw in mind going to straight Semis as in the old days its a Semi of Connacht vs Ulster and Leinster vs. Munster. But no. they have paired Ulster vs. Leinster and Connact vs. Munster. So basically changing the draw to suit them and try to get their Dublin Kerry final again. This is farcical stuff. Even if the wanted to change the semi final pairings I seen no mention of a draw for it. I really hope someone pulls the GAA up on this.

517883.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Doubt it

Things could return to qualifers/super 8s for 2021

Have to feel sorry for the weak teams this year, barring a miracle there not beating Dublin or Kerry

That's the same as every year.

In the last decade Division 4 sides have played 203 championship games and beaten Division 1 sides just twice.

The loss of the Tailteann Cup this year is the biggest blow to the weaker teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

henke wrote: »
    So in the football they are maintaining the provincial draws that were already made, however this year in the Super 8s it was due to be Connact/Ulster plus two qualifiers and Leinster/Munster plus two qualifiers. So with that draw in mind going to straight Semis as in the old days its a Semi of Connacht vs Ulster and Leinster vs. Munster. But no. they have paired Ulster vs. Leinster and Connact vs. Munster. So basically changing the draw to suit them and try to get their Dublin Kerry final again. This is farcical stuff. Even if the wanted to change the semi final pairings I seen no mention of a draw for it. I really hope someone pulls the GAA up on this.

517883.JPG

Great stuff. Can't beat a Dublin v Kerry final. My only worry is when we win there might not be enough time to get the 6 in a row DVD produced for Christmas.

Yeah great stuff there is only two counties in the GAA. Who cares about fairness.

• Advertisement

517883.JPG

I think they have just reverted to the pre-Super 8 schedule.
    It was Connacht v Munster in 2017, in 2014, in 2011.
    I'd imagine that next year when the Super8s are back it will be Connacht/Ulster and Leinster/Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

Great stuff. Can't beat a Dublin v Kerry final. My only worry is when we win there might not be enough time to get the 6 in a row DVD produced for Christmas.

Fairly slippery move alright Ulster v Leinster in semi-final, the GAA never miss a trick.

I'm sure it's all above board lads and Horan and the GAA will explain all their decisions later on. Too much paranoia about nothing i feel. Storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd imagine that next year when the Super8s are back it will be Connacht/Ulster and Leinster/Munster.

I don't see how they take a break from that schedule, and when they come back to it it's suddenly 2017 again. If they're going back to that, then the 2018 pairings should be next up?

It's a fairly blatant fix of the rules available. They found the one way they could get the draw as they want and went with it. People can't complain, as they'll point that it was the scenario available they chose. Even though it has no logic.

They've done it a few times in recent years right under people's noses. In 2018 when the Super 8s were introduced, it would've made sense to roll with Connacht Leinster, Munster Ulster in the group's as that was the next pattern. Instead they ran with 2017 pairings again for some unknown reason.

They published the fixtures and had the Leinster winner (Dublin) playing their second game away to the Connacht runner up (or qualifier). It then dawned on someone midway through the provincials that this meant there was a good chance Dublin would have to go to Hyde Park Roscommon. Hyde park was a mess at the time and there was contraversy that first year of the S8s about the GAA wanting to accommodate all Dublin fans. So right mid championship they switched the middle super 8s game Leinster winners away to Munster runner up or qualifier (thus good chance it was Cork in the new PUC), and moved the Connacht runner up game to last at home in Leinster. The old fixtures were taken down, new one was snuck in and nobody noticed. In the end, Tyrone beat Cork in that qualifier, meaning the Dubs ended up in Omagh.

You are right actually but the point stands they changed the schedule when the Super 8s were introduced and they are now changing that back. They should have kept the schedule that was originally planned for 2020 or failing that go with what 2018 would have been if the Quarter Finals had continued, since this follows 2017. You have to say it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can't they just take the Kerry 5 in a row CD ( or was it a 33rpm? ) and dub in 6 instead of 5, and Dublin instead of Kerry?

Was there anything about the lower tier hurling or are they just shelving those teams for a year? Might be the GAA’s chance to scrap the competitions altogether.

Was there anything about the lower tier hurling or are they just shelving those teams for a year? Might be the GAA’s chance to scrap the competitions altogether.

McDonagh Cup to stay round-robin; winner promoted to Mac Carthy Championship for 2021

New Ring & Rackard Format

Draw for four quarter finals
    – 4 winners to semis and 2 teams on to final (Ring: both finalists promoted; Rackard: only winner promoted)

4 losers to Relegation semis in both
    Ring Cup: Relegation final with loser relegated to Rackard
    Rackard Cup: Relegation Semi Final losers are both relegated to Meagher in 2021; Relegation Final losers are also in Meagher in 2021; Relegation final winners to stay in Rackard.
    Meagher winners are promoted to Rackard Cup for 2021.
    If it is not possible for overseas units to participate, the Ring, Rackard and Meagher Competition structures will be reviewed and C.C.C.C will be seeking a temporary deferral of the Leinster Council’s Hurling Championship motion passed at Congress 2020. Participation will be on the basis that all games are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You are right actually but the point stands they changed the schedule when the Super 8s were introduced and they are now changing that back. They should have kept the schedule that was originally planned for 2020 or failing that go with what 2018 would have been if the Quarter Finals had continued, since this follows 2017. You have to say it suits them.
    But the SF plan for 2020 was that the Leinster champion and Munster champions would be in separate SFs because they were both scheduled to be in the same QF group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Actually Kerry v Galway will be a great SF.

That geezer pulling the teams out is shaking like a leaf.

Meath/Kildare vs Dublin in Leinster then.

But the SF plan for 2020 was that the Leinster champion and Munster champions would be in separate SFs because they were both scheduled to be in the same QF group.

Fair point but that is the argument they should draw if either Ulster or Connacht plays Leinster or Munster. Not set it in stone with no valid logic as they have done.

Yer man doing this draw looks like the sports assimilation lad they used to do on Apres Match :D

Munster hurling as usual the most interesting. About time Tipp avoided the preliminary game. Think they got drawn in that for few years before the round robin was brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Leinster hurling should be interesting. Does first drawn team get home advantage? Missed that part. Could be important!

Prov winners
    Mayo
    Kerry
    Dublin
    Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Typical Kilkenny. Even when they aren't the defending Leinster champions, they still get the handier draw.

Typical Kilkenny. Even when they aren't the defending Leinster champions, they still get the handier draw.

Absolutely. No matter what Kilkenny or other Leinster counties say the fact is it is harder to get out of Munster due to one weaker team (no disrespect intended to Laois) in Leinster and that one weaker team makes a big difference in trying to win an All Ireland. And then to make it worse Kilkenny get seeded straight to a semi final. Ridiculous.

How much does the GAA benefit from this though?

It's hardly likely to affect attendences/ticket revenue that much and it's not going to make any difference in terms of the money they get from the broadcasting rights.
    Even in terms of viewers and press attention, the novelty of this year's championship means that I doubt there would be much of a difference to the GAA if it was Kerry v Dublin final or a semi-final.

How much does the GAA benefit from this though?

It's hardly likely to affect attendences/ticket revenue that much and it's not going to make any difference in terms of the money they get from the broadcasting rights.
    Even in terms of viewers and press attention, the novelty of this year's championship means that I doubt there would be much of a difference to the GAA if it was Kerry v Dublin final or a semi-final.

Just my opinion but I would say Dublin Kerry is their final of choice followed by Dublin Mayo or Dublin Galway. Even if that is not the case the main issue is lack of clarity and transparency. It would be simple to draw one of Ulster/Connacht to play one of Leinster/Munster. It's 50/50 that the draw would fall exactly as it is but there would be no complaint because it would be completely transparent.

If the super 8s had gone ahead as planned and assuming all provincial champions progressed, the semis would be determined by 1st 2nd place positions. This draw would in effect by a replacement to those positions and would be more fair. Transparency is the thing that is missing here.

The fact that all the provincials competitions are going to be run off over the course of 4 weeks is really going to put the provincial councils under pressure to get their act together in the future in terms of dragging out the provincial competitions.

Stick to this going forward for provincial championships and it frees up a lot of space in the fixtures calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'm sure it's all above board lads and Horan and the GAA will explain all their decisions later on. Too much paranoia about nothing i feel. Storm in a tea cup.

It’s always a storm in a tea cup unless you’re directly affected by it. That decision stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Absolutely. No matter what Kilkenny or other Leinster counties say the fact is it is harder to get out of Munster due to one weaker team (no disrespect intended to Laois) in Leinster and that one weaker team makes a big difference in trying to win an All Ireland. And then to make it worse Kilkenny get seeded straight to a semi final. Ridiculous.

One weaker team that bet Dublin last year to be fair.

• Advertisement

Kerry have a tricky draw in Munster, Cork could surprise them

Hard to see Dublin been beaten in Leinster but a david and goliath story would be amazing

Advertisement