Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

And in news just in to the Examiner sports desk, the Pope supports Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So the selectoranager of the club team wasn't aware that their star player had broken his foot at their own training. I've heard it all now. Clear at mud that they've now got their story 'straight' for CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Everyone got their story straight so. Nice one.

?s=fatherted&e=S03E01&i=S03E01-sznWHKD9&t1=THAT%27S%20RIGHT,%20HE%20BROKE%20HIS%20FOOT%20AT&t2=%22CLUB%20TRAINING%22

If Wexford win the championship (though I think we won't get to have one) this year then there needs to be a huge******** put after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If Wexford win the championship (though I think we won't get to have one) this year then there needs to be a huge******** put after it

If they are not going to allow county teams proper preparation for a championship to be played in the middle of winter then they should forget about the whole thing and just run off the national leagues.

Anyway, as one county player apparently told club mates: "Lads, there will be no county games this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If they are not going to allow county teams proper preparation for a championship to be played in the middle of winter then they should forget about the whole thing and just run off the national leagues.

Anyway, as one county player apparently told club mates: "Lads, there will be no county games this year."

But that county player is as clueless as the rest of us about what will happen in Autumn / Winter

All the indications are that second wave is on.

If that happens here, and depending on scale of deaths, it will depend on whether state goes back to full on lockdown or accepts a certain number of deaths with more targeted controls.

I'd imagine they will take a stricter approach and that will mean no team sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

But that county player is as clueless as the rest of us about what will happen in Autumn / Winter

As much as I want a championship I might have to agree with that player. I was in the company of a data modeller (I think that's the correct term) and they were outlining their projections up to Christmas regarding spread/clusters etc. Even the best case scenarios had behind close doors games as highly unlikely given restrictions that could be in place. I know a lot of ifs and buts there and the models have been wrong before as we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

scrubs33 wrote: »
    As much as I want a championship I might have to agree with that player. I was in the company of a data modeller (I think that's the correct term) and they were outlining their projections up to Christmas regarding spread/clusters etc. Even the best case scenarios had behind close doors games as highly unlikely given restrictions that could be in place. I know a lot of ifs and buts there and the models have been wrong before as we know.

Yeah, could well be the case. My point was more that county players have no more knowledge about what will happen than anybody else.

• Advertisement

Yeah, could well be the case. My point was more that county players have no more knowledge about what will happen than anybody else.

Well, he's a medical chap.

And no, not Dr. Jack!

Seriously though, I think a lot of people are understandably thinking or hoping that it is over here.

What we are seeing elsewhere would indicate it is not.

What they do if deaths do increase again is another thing. Maybe they have learnt from first wave that restrictions do not have to apply to everyone and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The thing with the new furore in Wexford is that the county board (chairman) are more likely to condemn the media outlet involved than any other scenario.

Davy's grip is so strong that if he told the county board that he wants to go on the annual foreign training camp (titled a "team bonding holiday") again this year, despite the risks of travelling out of the country and the bad optics it would entail, they would forego the club football championship to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭poppers

So the selectoranager of the club team wasn't aware that their star player had broken his foot at their own training. I've heard it all now. Clear at mud that they've now got their story 'straight' for CP.

According to the Independent it was the team manager who was on the radio saying it happened at county training.

call me cinical but id say the Raparees found a new "sponsor"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

So what happens now if a county has to pull out of a match because of a Covid outbreak......precautionary or otherwise?
    Will everything be stalled until there ready to go again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    So what happens now if a county has to pull out of a match because of a Covid outbreak......precautionary or otherwise?
    Will everything be stalled until there ready to go again?

If it gets to the point where there are clusters centered on county panels, that would likely signal the virus is widespread in the community again, and the whole country will probably be back in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If it gets to the point where there are clusters centered on county panels, that would likely signal the virus is widespread in the community again, and the whole country will probably be back in lockdown.

Just one player suspected of been in contact with another infected person will bring everything to a halt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭rrs

3 clubs in Cork have suspended activity for the next 2 weeks because someone was showing systoms, or had come into contact with somebody who had it.

Wexford’s board and clubs will rail in behind Davy because they’re full sure they’ll have the payday of an all Ireland. It’s all lies and I’ll happily see them fall on their face (3 better teams easily).

Wexford’s board and clubs will rail in behind Davy because they’re full sure they’ll have the payday of an all Ireland. It’s all lies and I’ll happily see them fall on their face (3 better teams easily). The whole lot of them are vermin the way they’re acting.

Off the top of my head I'm going to make a wild stab and say that you don't have "Purple and Gold" as your call alert :)

Wexford’s board and clubs will rail in behind Davy because they’re full sure they’ll have the payday of an all Ireland. It’s all lies and I’ll happily see them fall on their face (3 better teams easily).

And speaking as someone that is clued in with what's going on, there is a lot of disharmony brewing with this latest drama. It began a month ago when they truncuated the club championships to allow Davy an extra two weeks training, but I am sure we are not the only county breaking the law. I am also sure though that no other media outlet in any other county would have to deal with such cloak and dagger stuff from the top table either.

I will admit as well though, that for every grassroots level, die-in-the-wool supporter who never misses a club game be it challenge or championship, when Wexford are going well so many fairweather fans emerge from the tall grass with their retro jerseys and tickets to the big game. Same with every county really. Those are the ones that probably don't give a damn what happens behind the scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wexford’s board and clubs will rail in behind Davy because they’re full sure they’ll have the payday of an all Ireland. It’s all lies and I’ll happily see them fall on their face (3 better teams easily). The whole lot of them are vermin the way they’re acting.
    I'd say you'd do well to find an intercounty team that hasn't flouted the rules, relax...

Someone needs to find some minerals down there and stand up once and for all. Like Duignan was saying in a general sense, all counties like Wexford are doing is teaching their young ‘role models’ to be sneaky and tell lies. And then you get clubs buying into that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Vermin is a bit harsh now.

And speaking as someone that is clued in with what's going on, there is a lot of disharmony brewing with this latest drama. It began a month ago when they truncuated the club championships to allow Davy an extra two weeks training, but I am sure we are not the only county breaking the law. I am also sure though that no other media outlet in any other county would have to deal with such cloak and dagger stuff from the top table either.

I will admit as well though, that for every grassroots level, die-in-the-wool supporter who never misses a club game be it challenge or championship, when Wexford are going well so many fairweather fans emerge from the tall grass with their retro jerseys and tickets to the big game. Same with every county really. Those are the ones that probably don't give a damn what happens behind the scenes.

So did Liam Ryan break his foot with Raparrees or Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Someone needs to find some minerals down there and stand up once and for all. Like Duignan was saying in a general sense, all counties like Wexford are doing is teaching their young ‘role models’ to be sneaky and tell lies. And then you get clubs buying into that too.

For someone who has a very high media profile the manager is pretty quiet on this one. I sense a river bank interview with Marty in the offing where a half baked explanation is put forward and a good laugh is had. Personally i heard he got the injury getting out of his car after the team were invited for MiWadi and biscuits at an undisclosed location

So did Liam Ryan break his foot with Raparrees or Wexford?

Wexford from what I gather.

Not from that neck of the woods though so can't confirm nor deny it.

if Offaly weren't in the Christy Ring do you think duignan wouldn't be as forceful? Can you 100% say you're county teams haven't trained in the last few weeks?

I presumed from your general comments and username that you're from down here, I can't say 100% if he got hurt training with Wexford but I'd be shocked if it wasn't the case, there's no prove that he did when it comes down to it.

If it happened to one of the county players from my club while they were training with the county id be calling for my club to boycott the county championship. I think a selector working with a team would know more about how and when a lad got injured than a club chairman. Selectors are are nearly always at training, club chairman are probably not at too many sessions.

This guy would be a star player for his club. His team needs him, and now their chance of winning has been greatly diminished as a result of training sessions in breach of the rules.

Wexford county board are a disgrace. They have given two fingers to their club players by the way they are getting their championship out of the way. They are also giving two fingers to the ordinary club supporters as they rush to play championship next weekend means the 200 people limit at outdoors gatherings is still in force. As a result little or no spectators will be able to attend games as the 200 number is inclusive of players and officials. Its laughable, they are lobbying the government go allow them to let in spectators as wexford have had such low levels of transmission. If they just waited another week then 500 could be there

If it happened to one of the county players from my club while they were training with the county id be calling for my club to boycott the county championship. I think a selector working with a team would know more about how and when a lad got injured than a club chairman. Selectors are are nearly always at training, club chairman are probably not at too many sessions.

This guy would be a star player for his club. His team needs him, and now their chance of winning has been greatly diminished as a result of training sessions in breach of the rules.

Wexford county board are a disgrace. They have given two fingers to their club players by the way they are getting their championship out of the way. They are also giving two fingers to the ordinary club supporters as they rush to play championship next weekend means the 200 people limit at outdoors gatherings is still in force. As a result little or no spectators will be able to attend games as the 200 number is inclusive of players and officials. Its laughable, they are lobbying the government go allow them to let in spectators as wexford have had such low levels of transmission. If they just waited another week then 500 could be there

There has been a litany of bad marks against them since covid unfortunately. It appears too that TG4 was informed of the first round of hurling fixtures next weekend before the general populace were, as they tweeted on a Tuesday or Wednesday their upcoming live schedule included Oulart vs. St.Martin's on Friday week, yet the fixtures weren't officially to be released to clubs until the end of that week.

All about that television cash baby.

• Advertisement

I presumed from your general comments and username that you're from down here, I can't say 100% if he got hurt training with Wexford but I'd be shocked if it wasn't the case, there's no prove that he did when it comes down to it.

I am from down here, just not Enniscorthy. Gorey and Enniscorthy districts are like chalk and cheese :D

Advertisement