Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Bonniedog wrote: »
    With the latest CP decree on county training, is it not time for counties to say "forget about it lads"?

I don't think championships should go ahead anyway, but this is ludicrous in the light of how other sports, both here and abroad are coming back. Including the FAI women now. All within the regulations I hasten to add.

Inter County Championship doesn't start for most counties until November. HQ doesn't want teams training for it until September 14th sounds pretty reasonable to me and fitness of players shouldn't be issues if they come through their club championships injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

According to Off The Ball’s survey not a single county is back training,

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Great stuff.

A few gave a 'no comment' response. A few others gave a non committal response and some rubbish about deferring to HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Inter County Championship doesn't start for most counties until November. HQ doesn't want teams training for it until September 14th sounds pretty reasonable to me and fitness of players shouldn't be issues if they come through their club championships injury free.

We cannot foresee the future. If matters haven't drastically improved by September I can see the GAA doing an about turn. But if things are to go ahead they have to set out a roadmap now as they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

feargale wrote: »
    We cannot foresee the future. If matters haven't drastically improved by September I can see the GAA doing an about turn. But if things are to go ahead they have to set out a roadmap now as they have done.

Matters drastically improve? If you are on about the virus well things have drastically improved on this island than a view months ago and it's one of the reasons why club football should be up and running by the end of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Great stuff.

Well I can tell you that is bull

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

feargale wrote: »

Short of the virus ceasing to exist it's hard to imagine how much more drastically it could improve than it has done. Your odds of contracting it right now are, statistically, negligible in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Well I can tell you that is bull

Yes and already county players already not "around" for challenge games for their clubs.

shmeee wrote: »
    Yes and already county players already not "around" for challenge games for their clubs.

Breaffy played Annaghdown last night. Aido played for Breaffy and Comer played for Annagh. There could be valid reasons why lads aren't around for a challenge game. Often missed them myself for various reasons.

Breaffy played Annaghdown last night. Audi played for Breaffy and Conor played for Annagh. There could be valid reasons why lads aren't around for a challenge game. Often missed them myself for various reasons.

A club team was missing all their county mean, that's not just by chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Short of the virus ceasing to exist it's hard to imagine how much more drastically it could improve than it has done. Your odds of contracting it right now are, statistically, negligible in Ireland.

But that is going to increase as there is far more contact now that the country is more or less fully open.

We have seen other countries having to firefight various outbreaks over the last few weeks.

It will be no different here in the weeks and months to come.

There is no guarantee that come September 14th or October 17th that we will be in any state to start inter county football and hurling.

I hope I'm wrong.

A club team was missing all their county mean, that's not just by chance.

Do you mind saying which county the club is in?

Do you mind saying which county the club is in?

Dublin and Hurling!

Dublin and Hurling!

Cuala or Crokes?

[/b]

But that is going to increase as there is far more contact now that the country is more or less fully open.

We have seen other countries having to firefight various outbreaks over the last few weeks.

It will be no different here in the weeks and months to come.

There is no guarantee that come September 14th or October 17th that we will be in any state to start inter county football and hurling.

I hope I'm wrong.
    That's why I said right now though. My point being, I'm not sure what "drastic improvement" he thinks would have to happen, there has been a drastic improvement. If it ticks back up then yeah the season might be threatened, but the implication of the post was that it couldn't go ahead the way things are right now. Long as things stay the way they are now of course you absolutely could have a season.

Cuala or Crokes?

Neither, would have 3/4 players on county panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0705/1151500-shane-mcgrath-fixtures-cpa-briody/

An awful lot of sense in this, think the a split season and condensed timeframe for championship is the only creditable future of fixtures scheduling.

To add to this, one way of getting rid of the club v County debate going on at the minute is to have County at the beginning of the year and Club played after therefore releasing county players back to clubs. Think you'd be looking at something from maybe April to early July for Inter county championships.

It no doubt still wouldn't be straightforward but hopefully proper consideration to what needs to be done will be given on account of what transpired this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Neither, would have 3/4 players on county panel

So the other club that wears red jerseys!

Dublin hurlers are not back training so of they were missing it was not for that reason.

And can't imagine why any county would want to stop county men getting games. Sitting at home watching netflix is hardly good prep for championship :)

Bonniedog wrote: »

Dublin hurlers are not back training

*Wink wink* sure they're not.

Neither are kilkenny *wink wink*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

*Wink wink* sure they're not.

Neither are kilkenny *wink wink*

Anyone known which county football panels that are definitely not back training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Anyone known which county football panels that are definitely not back training?

Majority won't be i bet outside the big 4-5 in football anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

If I was running things I'd be kicking Wexford out of the championship for this year.

From the video here it's blatant that he injured his foot training with the county. If you listen to the video you can hear Walsh starting to say training but then changes to to "doing something" with the county team.

1:20 mark in the video
    Wexford County Board refute claim Ryan was injured 'doing something with county team'

Michael Verney

July 09 2020 02:30 AM

Chances are Rapparees senior hurling boss Padge Walsh probably had the words out of his mouth before he realised it when claiming that Wexford full-back Liam Ryan broke his foot "doing something with the county team".

In a video interview with Wexford Today previewing the Wexford SHC, Walsh said that Ryan had picked up an injury before clubs officially returned to training which sees him ruled out of action for the immediate future.

"We're in big trouble," Walsh said. "Liam is in big trouble at the minute, he's on crutches and has a boot on his foot. He picked up an injury doing something with the county team or something.

"He has a bone broke in the bottom of his foot and obviously he's going to be out for the championship, simple as that. Liam is such a colossus for us, he's such a big player for us, it's unreal.

"We're trying to play catch-up, it's not ideal for any team, it's not just us. Just two weeks of contact hurling before a championship match surely wouldn't be ideal."

Protective

With Rapparees opening their Wexford SHC campaign against Shelmaliers on Saturday week, there is no hope of Ryan, who was pictured on crutches with a protective boot on his left leg, being fit to play.

A spokesperson for Wexford GAA last night, however, distanced themselves from such talk and insisted that Ryan's injury was sustained while on club duty.

"Liam Ryan recently suffered a hairline fracture in his foot but Wexford GAA are adamant that Liam's injury was sustained with his club while preparing for the upcoming club championships," the spokesperson said.

The loss of Ryan is a major blow for the Enniscorthy side with Walsh now without his star defender for the rapid-fire championship.

There is likely to have been plenty of disgruntled club managers around the country lamenting the absence of their county stars before the Association decided to row back on an earlier directive and take a harder line by putting stricter sanctions in place for counties which breach the rules.

The risks facing counties which bend the rules are now real with teams liable to be booted out of the championship if returning before September 14, while county chairpersons have been told that they will be held responsible should their county teams be found to have trained before that date.

Clubs can report any grievances or incidences of collective inter-county training directly to Croke Park with such correspondence required to come from the official club secretary email address.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/07/07/liam-ryan-out-for-the-rapparees/

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/wexford-county-board-refute-claim-ryan-was-injured-doing-something-with-county-team-39352450.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    If I was running things I'd be kicking Wexford out of the championship for this year.

I have no doubt that many and probably a large majority of counties have transgressed the rules. But that Article and video proves absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I have no doubt that many and probably a large majority of counties have transgressed the rules. But that Article and video proves absolutely nothing.

Ah it does. The manager is saying the injury didn't happen at club training. The County board are lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Ah it does. The manager is saying the injury didn't happen at club training. The County board are lying.

Collective training with the county is banned, he could have just as easily have broken it in the Gym or the likes as part of a fitness plan given to county players.

To hand out a ban there would have to be a lot more compelling evidence than that and as I said there would be no one left in the championship

That club manager began to say what sounded training but changed it to something with the county. Pretty clear if you ask me.

Club as much at fault then. They should grow a pair and report the county board to Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Collective training with the county is banned, he could have just as easily have broken it in the Gym or the likes as part of a fitness plan given to county players.

To hand out a ban there would have to be a lot more compelling evidence than that and as I said there would be no one left in the championship

Except Wexford GAA said the injury was sustained with his club, which is a direct contradiction of what Walsh said.
    A spokesperson for Wexford GAA last night, however, distanced themselves from such talk and insisted that Ryan's injury was sustained while on club duty.

"Liam Ryan recently suffered a hairline fracture in his foot but Wexford GAA are adamant that Liam's injury was sustained with his club while preparing for the upcoming club championships," the spokesperson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,015 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

coincidentally a squad of 30 odd guys might end meeting up in the same place at the same time

• Advertisement
Advertisement