Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Your talking like the GAA only cares about money, perhaps theres some truth to that but most of the GAA action happens at a loss to the association. There would be no guys gracing Croke park in August/September without the club game developing these players.

I think the GAA will be relatively isolated from the financial impact of this compared to other sports.

People directly employed will be hit, but people in businesses of all shapes and sizes are being hit.

Club infrastructure development (facilities upgrades etc) will be hit due to a lack of funds from CP and the inability to conduct local fundraising in the current environment.

But other than that the GAA can ride out this storm because they don't have to pay players contracts.

Look at the major soccer leagues and American sports.
    Teams haemorrhaging money because they still have to pay players huge salaries and zero revenue coming in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree with most of this post. However, even as somebody who goes to a lot of GAA matches, I find the current cost of an AI ticket in the last few years to be a little too high.

The last price increase for tickets prior to 2019 was in 2011. So they have held back in fairness.

If you are a Dub supporter and having to go to five in a row it is understandable more expensive in the latter stages. But in Dublin there is a the advantage of not having to travel much - less cost petrol in car, train bus tickets.

It is the proper dual counties of Galway and Cork I feel sorry for. As when thier sides do well in both codes it puts real pressure on thier pockets.

Compared to other codes though I still think GAA fans are getting bargains.
    It will be interesting to see how the GAA price things after the covid19 as I said.
    I assume as a community led organisation they will be fair about it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

I’d agree that GAA games are good value compared to soccer and rugby. The league games are great value. And they hold double headers, have deals for matches and for children etc which they wouldn’t have if they were trying to fleece supporters for as much as they could.

That doesn’t mean they are above criticism. The Sky deal is just wrong as it stops people in hospitals, nursing homes and older people generally from watching games. The Super 8’s does seem to me to be partially financially driven. Why introduce a round-robin at the quarter final stage of the competition? And that stroke they tried to pull earlier in the week when they tried to alter the terms and conditions of the season ticket was very dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Bit off topic, but only gripe I'd have about ticket prices are the increase in 20 quid to on the day league fares. They are now the same price as the 4 championship games in Munster/Leinster for the hurling. Think it was done purely to make the season ticket look like value when it is poor value for a team that doesn't have realistic expectations of reaching an all Ireland.

But regarding dual counties, it's a nice complaint to have. I know in Cork it's very much divided east and west as regards hurling and football. I know there's a similar geographical divide in Galway though not sure how it translated to fans attending one code or the other. When it comes to football especially, I'd say they'd be delighted to have that problem in the coming years.

Not a lot of clarity in the govs plan. The caveat maintain social distancing is in every phase. But as many have said here that's not possible in a contact sport so it's one or the other. GAAs response will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

People complaining about the price of all Ireland tickets would you stop. Would hate to hear your complaining if you weren't making them in the first place. Nearly 40 years since my own county made one - if you are blessed to be from a county that regularly makes them and have the cash suck it up and don't take it for granted. Far from flush with cash but I'd pay a four figure sum if that was the price if we made it to the promised land.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wonder did the interviewer here realise what "Netflix and chill" actually means, it is a hidden phrase for sex. He replied saying "I have netflix nearly finished at this stage."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0501/1135953-my-social-distancing-stephen-obrien-completes-netflix/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Hopefully, if there is any good to come from this, it might act as a bit of a reset for the GAA and steer it back towards community organisation rather than a business.

Or they’ll just fleece everyone to make up the shortfall.

So if the GAA scales down as you wish, and starts taking in less money, you're OK with GPOs and coaches being laid off? Schools visits decreasing? Club and county grants drying up?

The GAA head honchos don't sleep on a bulging mattress of cash, the money is redistributed among the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

They do not even bother hyping up a game with fireworks, advertising campaign etc unless it is a special day like the 125 anniversary of the GAA or the 1916 commemoration.
    If they did that type of thing all the time it would attract a lot more interest.

While I agree with your general sentiment, I have to disagree with this. In fact I addressed it on the soccer forum before. On the LOI thread people have a habit of repeatedly posting the same video of a memorable Bohs/Rovers game from a few years ago as if that's the experience to be expected at all LOI games. I said that's a fallacy as you can't artificially replicate what makes these things special. Adding fireworks to Longford-Carlow qualifier won't make it any more special or popular.
    It reminds me a bit of when there's an enormous crowd for a big event GAA match (1st floodlit match in croker, 125th Anniversary, 1916 celebrations etc.) and people go "See what happens when you've a bit of marketing, if the GAA cared they'd have 80'000 at every game".

This totally ignores that those games only held appeal because they were significant and rare. It's not like you can have more than 1 first floodlit match, or an annual 100th anniversary of the 1916 rising. It'd be like saying "My birthday was quite enjoyable, so I'm having increasing the frequency to one a month".

While I agree with your general sentiment, I have to disagree with this. In fact I addressed it on the soccer forum before. On the LOI thread people have a habit of repeatedly posting the same video of a memorable Bohs/Rovers game from a few years ago as if that's the experience to be expected at all LOI games. I said that's a fallacy as you can't artificially replicate what makes these things special. Adding fireworks to Longford-Carlow qualifier won't make it any more special or popular.

Generally you have a bit of a point, but this is the GAA they don't really make any effort in advertising games to the lukewarm/casual fan. At all really - barring those exceptions.

When the first half decent Croke Park game starts again after the covid19 stuff. It will be interesting to see what the demand for tickets is like. And if the GAA hype it up at all, or just leave it to thier usual damn all marketing - and hope a few turn up.

I had to check online at the GAA fixtures to see what time a league games were on plenty of times Simply because there was only ever fleeting mention of it in the media.

Hype/marketing can make the ordinary seem interesting which is why SKY SPORTS succeed with the soccer. They keep banging the drum loud. Super Sunday etc. Has the GAA ever called thier Sunday's 'Super' pre-match? Grand day for a game of hurling/football might be the nearest they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A welcome dose of common sense.

Connacht GAA president Gerry McGovern: Time to say goodbye to 2020 Championships

He's a member of the GAA's management committee.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0504/1136450-connacht-gaa-chief-time-to-say-goodbye-to-2020-games/

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »

Connacht GAA president Gerry McGovern: Time to say goodbye to 2020 Championships

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0504/1136450-connacht-gaa-chief-time-to-say-goodbye-to-2020-games/

Feels odd for a Dublin supporter to read this. Earliest we have been 'knocked out' of the championship for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I think most if not all of us on here had written off 2020 at this stage. So no surprise there. What happens in 2021 and how the GAA map out the season is going to be intersting.

I think most if not all of us on here had written off 2020 at this stage. So no surprise there. What happens in 2021 and how the GAA map out the season is going to be intersting.

I am still hoping that during the lull that the GAA uses it for chance to restructure the GAA. Radical overhaul - no choice now. Plus they have nothing else to be doing!

Club, fixtures, intercounty, provincials, championship etc.
    All the stuff people have been saying for years. But have been previously blocked by 'tradition'.
    Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I am still hoping that during the lull that the GAA uses it for chance to restructure the GAA. Radical overhaul - no choice now. Plus they have nothing else to be doing!

Club, fixtures, intercounty, provincials, championship etc.
    All the stuff people have been saying for years. But have been previously blocked by 'tradition'.
    Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Yea, i've little doubt their working hard behind the scenes. So much to ponder. They are well paid at the top level but will earn their corn over this pandemic and how to resolve it.

Why would this spur change? Tradition i.e. provincial championships has nothing to do with the virus. It doesn't make it any more or less manageable in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there's no chance of a championship this year but it would be great if "when" they get the all clear to have an all in 32 county Knock out tournament with the winner being this years all - ireland....just for the craic like..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why would this spur change? Tradition i.e. provincial championships has nothing to do with the virus. It doesn't make it any more or less manageable in the current climate.
    because it will completely change how people approach this and gives the gaa a chance to try approach a championship format with a clean slate. They can try implement a format that isnt based around tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I would love the GAA to really seize the chance to restructure things. I've said here before that an open draw championship in both codes would be savage. First round losers get one more chance but that's it. Unfortunately however we won't get that as the vested interests have too much to loose from not waffling on about the magic of the Munster hurling final in Thurles (a nightmare to get out of) or the streets of Clones on Ulster final day (see previous point) That said what I wouldnt give to be able to travel to either of those events this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

They had a 22% increase in gate receipts in 2019 I can't see 2 much changing

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

Ok but going by what he's saying what makes him think we'll be ready for a 2021 championship?

He mentions the virus being gone by then or a vaccine being available. Neither of which will happen. There is absolutely zero guarantee a vaccine will be produced in the next 2 years, if ever

Even if one does come to market how long until Ireland actually get their hands on it how long before it can be distributed nationwide. How long will it give immunity for? Will it even fully work? I think there's a bit of naivety from some in the sporting world around a vaccine suddenly becoming available in the next year and everything magically going back to normal

I appreciate his sentiment but with all due respect no-one has an absolute clue as to what will happen in the coming months. I think GAA returning is far more dependent on treatments coming to market/regular same-day testing/much more information becoming available on immunity & how many of the population have been affected to date than a vaccine tbh

• Advertisement

gp1990 wrote: »
    Ok but going by what he's saying what makes him think we'll be ready for a 2021 championship?

He mentions the virus being gone by then or a vaccine being available. Neither of which will happen. There is absolutely zero guarantee a vaccine will be produced in the next 2 years, if ever

Even if one does come to market how long until Ireland actually get their hands on it how long before it can be distributed nationwide. How long will it give immunity for? Will it even fully work? I think there's a bit of naivety from some in the sporting world around a vaccine suddenly becoming available in the next year and everything magically going back to normal

I appreciate his sentiment but with all due respect no-one has an absolute clue as to what will happen in the coming months. I think GAA returning is far more dependent on treatments coming to market/regular same-day testing/much more information becoming available on immunity & how many of the population have been affected to date than a vaccine tbh

I agree with your last paragraph but i like to think that all those things you mentioned will be much clearer and in a better place by the first quarter of 2021. Cant see a vaccine for a long time so we'll just have to learn to live with it as best we can.

I agree with your last paragraph but i like to think that all those things you mentioned will be much clearer and in a better place by the first quarter of 2021. Cant see a vaccine for a long time so we'll just have to learn to live with it as best we can.

Yeah absolutely

While waiting for the virus to actually disappear before action returns is an admirable sentiment, it is just not realistic at all

As you say we'll need to learn to live with it.

A few weeks will make an awful difference. Him citing figures on new cases is not particularly helpful, many of these could be results from tests done weeks ago, most sources i hear aren't even reporting new cases anymore (just deaths) as they're just not nearly indicative enough of the present state of play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Who says there will be a vaccine? This thing will be with us for years I feel, if we quash the current trend and open up things again then there could be an outbreak in another country in a few months and it will be only a matter of time before its back in the country again. I think we should just run knock out championships for the next few years, no leagues or challenge games. It will be tough but if we can just have the minimal amount of games and focus on getting those played in safe conditions then I think its better than having no games at all.

People absolutely love telling us that there may not be a vaccine for X years, IF EVER, like we don’t already know. But it’s the only hope we have and the world is looking for one so maybe hold out a little optimism.

People absolutely love telling us that there may not be a vaccine for X years, IF EVER, like we don’t already know. But it’s the only hope we have and the world is looking for one so maybe hold out a little optimism.

Only hope we have?

In terms of 'optimism' from what I've read I'd be far more hopeful of several treatments coming to market - and much quicker than a widely distributed functioning vaccine at that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

511899.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I would love the GAA to really seize the chance to restructure things. I've said here before that an open draw championship in both codes would be savage. First round losers get one more chance but that's it. Unfortunately however we won't get that as the vested interests have too much to loose from not waffling on about the magic of the Munster hurling final in Thurles (a nightmare to get out of) or the streets of Clones on Ulster final day (see previous point) That said what I wouldnt give to be able to travel to either of those events this year...

I love how you want them to seize the chance and restructure things... And still give losers a back door.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    511899.jpg

Makes sense. Bye bye 2020.

Would be interesting to see the GAAs official line on this if true. Why have they deviated from the government's 'roadmap' and why so soon? It's hardly as if county players are even training anyway or need to be paid, what exactly are they gaining by making such calls right now during the peak of the pandemic when there's so little information out there on the virus?

What if by August there are treatments in circulation, if we discover that outdoor sports basically produce 0% transmission, if the virus has been in Ireland a lot longer than thought and that many of the population have immunity or whatever?

Would be a bit odd to have schools open, offices back to normal, all other sports in full swing but the GAA holding out for some vaccine that might never come or this thing to disappear completely - which means we may see championship again in 2025 if we're lucky

I completely agree that at present gaa should not be played but even August is ages away yet.

• Advertisement

The GAA haven't decided anything, don't mind Galway bay FM spreading rumours yet again.

Advertisement