Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

dobman88 wrote: »
    Very different in those days with teams having 1 or 2 provincial games and straight into the all Ireland semis and final. Youd be looking at probably 4 games to win an all Ireland.

These days you have provincial, back door, quarter final groups. Round Robin formats in the hurling. Unless you just go back to straight knock out and rush through it, which I wouldnt like to see, I dont see how you could play it off next year in a hurry and putting players under the pressure of 2 championships in one year wouldnt be fair on them imo.

Get rid of back door and all those extra games.

As far as I remember GAA have been given permission a few weeks ago by the counties to be able to change the structure because of this crisis, no reason to play back door and round robin games while the coronavirus issue is ongoing.

Players won't be playing any extra games as the league won't be ongoing so if anything it will mean less pressure on them.

Looks like the proposal i posted over the weekend isn't as daft after all and while not one poster agreed with it as being in any way a viable proposition the GAA Presidant John Horan hasn't ruled out the 2020 championship being played in 2021. We've got to think outside the box for this one year. The Championship is sacrosanct and one way or another it will be played.

You are kidding, right? There is no way the championship should be played until a vaccine is found. Do you expect all the players just to give up their jobs to play GAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

You are kidding, right? There is no way the championship should be played until a vaccine is found. Do you expect all the players just to give up their jobs to play GAA?

There may never be a vaccine found,a decision will have to be made regarding life and general and people will have to accept that Coronavirus is part of human life and hopefully health services will be able to deal with treating it effectively.You can't keep social distancing going forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No reason why they can't play 2 All Ireland championships in the one calendar year and not play the league next year if needs be.It might just be the easiest solution to everything.

Is is a counted as a double though? Yeah, that was my immediate thought. Not the health and safety of players spectators etc. :o

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whether it starts in 2020 or not isn't really the point. There is a good chance All Ireland winners for 2020 will be decided in 2021. Championship trumps the League seven days a week and twice on Sundays. If they can fit the League in thats even better. Either way 2021 is shaping up to be a feast of GAA action that will make up for this years hardship.

But it is exactly the point, if they somehow manage to start the chsip this year then they will have to finish it in 2021 if time allows but if we get to next year and if it hasnt started then i think it will be just cancelled. I dont know anyone that agrees with your suggestion tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Some of the rhetoric in here is disturbing, players already sacrifice a **** load to play what is still an amateur game, now we expect them to run the risk of contracting COVID too? As mentioned, they have jobs to think about. Health > GAA.

The 2020 Championship is toast, the sooner we accept that the better for everyone. At least there hadn't been a ball kicked or a sliotar pucked in anger unlike the mess soccer and rugby find themselves in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Good points. But on the other hand sport lifts people's spirits a bit. Even Mayo people get joy out of it on occasion! Even if it is behind closed doors people would have a distraction from the current crisis.
    It all depends if you think regular testing of 2000 people is worth it for mass entertainment on the telly (if behind closed doors). People who do not like sport, would not understand it one iota and would see it as unforgivable.

It wouldn't be in isolation though. If you allow bi-weekly expedited blanket precautionary testing for every player in one sport, you'd have every sport demanding it, and many industries too. We'd need millions of tests a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

But it is exactly the point, if they somehow manage to start the chsip this year then they will have to finish it in 2021 if time allows but if we get to next year and if it hasnt started then i think it will be just cancelled. I dont know anyone that agrees with your suggestion tbh

I know quite a few who agree with what i'm saying. Just because you don't or other posters don't so what? Im sticking by my proposal. One way or another 2020s championship will be played (whether partly or fully) in 2021. At least i'm thinking outside the box and coming up with something. And it may very well happen. Whether ye agree or not wont matter a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Whether ye agree or not wont matter a jot.

This is the most truthful statement I've ever read on this website ever. It doesnt matter one bit what any of us say because none of us will decide what happens. The GAA will.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,009 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thought I read somewhere that few Intercounty managers are in agreement about playing games behind closed doors

I'd be up for it and it will pull massive viewing figures

• Advertisement

Get rid of back door and all those extra games.

As far as I remember GAA have been given permission a few weeks ago by the counties to be able to change the structure because of this crisis, no reason to play back door and round robin games while the coronavirus issue is ongoing.

Players won't be playing any extra games as the league won't be ongoing so if anything it will mean less pressure on them.

Dont expect any one to agree on such a radical idea on here Mick. Well pointed out on all the different All Irelands being played in seperate years due to various reasons. The GAA prides itself on having All Ireland winners for every year and 2020 will be no different.

This is the most truthful statement I've ever read on this website ever. It doesnt matter one bit what any of us say because none of us will decide what happens. The GAA will.

Very observant. Have you anything else to add yourself about the options ahead?

cson wrote: »
    Some of the rhetoric in here is disturbing, players already sacrifice a **** load to play what is still an amateur game, now we expect them to run the risk of contracting COVID too? As mentioned, they have jobs to think about. Health > GAA.

The 2020 Championship is toast, the sooner we accept that the better for everyone. At least there hadn't been a ball kicked or a sliotar pucked in anger unlike the mess soccer and rugby find themselves in right now.

I agree. I think it is toast for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

In late 2020 or early 2021 play the football championship without provincials so 32 team knockout. Next summer resume normally

If they were to play both championships next year they could condense one or both in some way. For example they could play the 2020 hurling championship early next year, say Mar - May. Scrap provincial round robins in the hurling. Straight knock out and possibly no All Ire semi finals. Both Munster and Leinster winners straight through to All Ire final. A championship could be run off in 2 months if really needed to.

Then start the 2021 championship in Jul - Sep/Oct. Play the usual format. Round robin. Qualifiers etc.

I dont know where club comes into it. After all it is very important and 90% GAA players are club. So that has to be taken into account.

Same with the National Leagues. Again im talking about the hurling but finishing the 2020 League could take the place of the early season warm up competitions like the Walsh Cup and O Byrne Cup.

I've good faith in the powers that be to make the right decisions in this terrible time. Whatever they decide, taking the players welfare as of paramount importance, i'll be happy to go along with. Whatever that is. If they even write off 2020 for good so be it. No problem. But i dont think they will. There is so much to ponder. I think ill ease up on anymore proposals for the time being :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Very observant. Have you anything else to add yourself about the options ahead?

I've already stated a few weeks ago that I dont think a championship will go ahead this year and we should instead look forward to next year.

I've already stated a few weeks ago that I dont think a championship will go ahead this year and we should instead look forward to next year.

I agree that we wont see any action this year. When you weigh up all the pros and cons 2020 is just not a runner. But next year please god we'll be in a much healthier place and it will be all systems go. A lot can happen in the next 7 or 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,009 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭kksaints

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yeah, if everything goes well, still think it's way too optimistic to expect a championship with fans allowed to attend but the odds on a behind closed doors Championship are better than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Listening to Leo on the late late and he says championship in front of fans wont happen this year but is possible to have an All Ireland behind close doors(or limited spectators) starting August or September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Money talks - as I've said before counties will not shelve out 10k a week to prepare squads for games with no income. Gah can say its to protect players etc but I comes down to buttons. What are peoples thought on club game returning this year?

Listening to Leo on the late late and he says championship in front of fans wont happen this year but is possible to have an All Ireland behind close doors(or limited spectators) starting August or September.

I’d be surprised if it got GPA backing.

franglan wrote: »
    Money talks - as I've said before counties will not shelve out 10k a week to prepare squads for games with no income. Gah can say its to protect players etc but I comes down to buttons. What are peoples thought on club game returning this year?

I don’t think they should return either. No crowd is one thing but it doesn’t really matter - one player has it, passes it to 3, they all go home and pass it to family, they all go to work and pass it to colleagues, family goes to work and passes it to their colleagues, all the colleagues go home and pass it to their families, etc etc. It can’t go ahead really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I cant see it happening, Im not for this "behind closed doors" idea and I cant see the players being too keen on it either, an empty Croke Park for All Ireland Hurling and Football final day that's not for me anyway.

I was thinking last night that a club team would probably need two dressing rooms if the social distancing guidelines are being adhered to
    An Inter county team would probably need three dressing rooms given the big numbers in the backroom team that most counties have these days

I just cant see it working so unless its safe for the players and the spectators then I think this year should be forgotten about.

Big decisions for the GAA to be making

Hopefully, if there is any good to come from this, it might act as a bit of a reset for the GAA and steer it back towards community organisation rather than a business.

Or they’ll just fleece everyone to make up the shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Hopefully, if there is any good to come from this, it might act as a bit of a reset for the GAA and steer it back towards community organisation rather than a business.

To what degree do you think they act like a profit making business rather than an organisation supporting volunteers?

Club fixture scheduling is the big structural problem I see, but to be honest I think that's a direct result of archaic regional championship formats that go back to the foundation of the GAA. On the other side of the coin, you can get very cheap tickets for games in Croker through your club if enough people are interested. An acknowledgement of those giving up their time to get involved.

I'd be very interested to know what other organization can boast the stadiums we have for example while maintaing cheap ticketing prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Your talking like the GAA only cares about money, perhaps theres some truth to that but most of the GAA action happens at a loss to the association. There would be no guys gracing Croke park in August/September without the club game developing these players.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To what degree do you think they act like a profit making business rather than an organisation supporting volunteers?

Club fixture scheduling is the big structural problem I see, but to be honest I think that's a direct result of archaic regional championship formats that go back to the foundation of the GAA. On the other side of the coin, you can get very cheap tickets for games in Croker through your club if enough people are interested. An acknowledgement of those giving up their time to get involved.

I'd be very interested to know what other organization can boast the stadiums we have for example while maintaing cheap ticketing prices.

Yeah it annoys me when people go on about the 'Grab All Association' it is the biggest myth out there. Normally heard after a replay is needed, with no mention of reduced prices for a replay. And of course when the AI final comes around it is normally those who do not go to matches regularly league etc that complain about the prices for the final.

I always find it a bit sickening, as you implied the GAA could be making a lot more money if they wished. They do not even bother hyping up a game with fireworks, advertising campaign etc unless it is a special day like the 125 anniversary of the GAA or the 1916 commemoration.
    If they did that type of thing all the time it would attract a lot more interest.

But the GAA normally keep things low key and they also keep the prices low.
    Also there are also special offers hurling heaven and football feast. Lots of matches are double or even treble headers at times.

Yet some people seem to persist with the myth that the GAA are greedy. Have people looked at the prices the FAI and IRFU charge for tickets for thier international games? Most of them would be against not very glamorous sides. And the price is still way over and above what it really should be in my opinion.

With all this covid19 thing I would not be surprised if the GAA drop prices for some games as a gesture when things get back to normal.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yeah it annoys me when people go on about the 'Grab All Association' it is the biggest myth out there. Normally heard after a replay is needed, with no mention of reduced prices for a replay. And of course when the AI final comes around it is normally those who do not go to matches regularly league etc that complain about the prices for the final.

I always find it a bit sickening, as you implied the GAA could be making a lot more money if they wished. They do not even bother hyping up a game with fireworks, advertising campaign etc unless it is a special day like the 125 anniversary of the GAA or the 1916 commemoration.
    If they did that type of thing all the time it would attract a lot more interest.

But the GAA normally keep things low key and they also keep the prices low.
    Also there are also special offers hurling heaven and football feast. Lots of matches are double or even treble headers at times.

Yet some people seem to persist with the myth that the GAA are greedy. Have people looked at the prices the FAI and IRFU charge for tickets for thier international games? Most of them would be against not very glamorous sides. And the price is still way over and above what it really should be in my opinion.

With all this covid19 thing I would not be surprised if the GAA drop prices for some games as a gesture when things get back to normal.

I agree with most of this post. However, even as somebody who goes to a lot of GAA matches, I find the current cost of an AI ticket in the last few years to be a little too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭cute geoge

After such a tough year surely the hurling and football would be something to look forward to in the autumn ,sure it could be run as an open draw and this would reduce the number of matches .The G.a.a. would surely get some money from the tv rights or maybe they would only let sky tv broadcast the games

Advertisement