Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jizique wrote: »
    How would they be risking infection playing any more than they would just existing?
    What happened to the elderly and infirm in those areas has little to do with the average GAA player

Because they are increasing the number of close interactions they have with other people? It wasn’t just the elderly and the infirm unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Players would surely have to be tested regularly if the Championship goes ahead at some stage.

I still can't see it this year. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s impossible to stay 2 metres away from other players in a football game. Some of the players surely have asthma or other conditions. That’s to say nothing of whoever they live with.

Yeah those blanket defences are going to have way more holes in it.
    The GAA is not like Pro sports where they HAVE to try and play the games for the sake of thier livelihoods. Most in the GAA have jobs elsewhere. I think it actually puts the GAA at an advantage. As many soccer clubs are in danger of going under because of this crisis. But because of the volunteer nature of the GAA it puts them in far less precarious position.

I'd say it will be well into 2021 before everything starts to be settled and back to normal at this stage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Paddy Power might do a virtual Championship .....tis the only Championship we'll see this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

If we can’t play in October this year why do ye think we playing March next year? Let those who want to play and want to go to games do that and those who want to stay locked up stay locked up. Nobody will be forced to go anywhere.

• Advertisement

Zetor19 wrote: »
    If we can’t play in October this year why do ye think we playing March next year? Let those who want to play and want to go to games do that and those who want to stay locked up stay locked up. Nobody will be forced to go anywhere.

If you’re not even able see the flaw in that plan then there is no hope for you at all.

That's how many feel but it's a public health matter so Mr Holohan and Mr Harris will set the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭kksaints

The Clare hurling Captain doesn't believe there will be a championship until a vaccine is available. Sounds like he is willing to put player's family safety over playing.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/i-dont-think-there-will-be-a-gaa-championship-this-year-until-theres-a-vaccine-clare-hurling-captain-conlon-39135993.html

kksaints wrote: »
    The Clare hurling Captain doesn't believe there will be a championship until a vaccine is available. Sounds like he is willing to put player's family safety over playing.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/i-dont-think-there-will-be-a-gaa-championship-this-year-until-theres-a-vaccine-clare-hurling-captain-conlon-39135993.html

Most players would agree I'd say........many young players still live at home with parents.....others have sick family members. It's not gotta happen this year.

And who'd blame them. No pay and lots of risk....

It's gotta be a strange summer.

Fine lock every young lad in the country in their sitting rooms for the summer so watching all the soccer leagues resume on tv, how many won’t bother playing again? Especially when Leo Simon and tony won’t give the go ahead til summer 2030.

• Advertisement

Fine lock every young lad in the country in their sitting rooms for the summer so watching all the soccer leagues resume on tv, how many won’t bother playing again? Especially when Leo Simon and tony won’t give the go ahead til summer 2030.

Youre missing the point there......I think many players won't want to play with the risks. We won't have to lock them up. They'll happily take a year out. There'll be a championship next year for sure .....many won't put their own and families health at increased risk.

I for one wouldn't criticise them if that's how they feel.

The tide is turning/has turned, there will be a championship this year because if not how will there magically be one next year or the year after? Another few weeks of this and you won’t be able walk across a puplic park in the country without getting a belt of a ball so they might as well be officially let back to play.

The tide is turning/has turned, there will be a championship this year because if not how will there magically be one next year or the year after? Another few weeks of this and you won’t be able walk across a puplic park in the country without getting a belt of a ball so they might as well be officially let back to play.

I get your frustration. I hope a general plan is set out soon for reopening. So we have an idea of what to expect.

But all concerts and festivals are cancelled until end August so we won't be at any big matches this summer.

Best case scenario for Championship is behind closed doors this year I'd say.

What I wouldn't do for a good hurling match right now....the f**king boredom.

And it won't be the same on TV ..... I go to the hurling final every year regardless of who's playing. Just love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Another “expert” talking out of his arse, these fruitcakes are really enjoying their 5 minutes of fame . The ordinary joe is starting to wake up the last few days, we will have a championship this year.
    what age are you as based on many of your posts in this thread tour are about 12. There probably will be games of some kind this year but some restrictions will be in place for crowds attending.
    Why so? The players know the risks and tough luck if someone gets it, they are the ones we want to see and if they are happy and want to do it let them on. You think we will have no sport for 4 or 5 years while some scientists in a lab in Germany prick around with rats ?
    this is a very immature take on such a serious issue. Nobody has said there will not be sport for 4 or 5 years and would you say tough luck if someone close to you got covid19 because restrictions were lifted too early
    I’m not taking the piss nor am I pissed. Just not hanging on to every word of tony Holohan and his team of “scientists “. My opinion of bull**** is as believable as them lads bull**** of closing down the country and ruining all aspects of society.
    so who are you listening to if not the health authorities who by and large have got vast vast majority of decisions spot on. They are not ruining anything. They are helping protect everyone in the long term through some short term disruptions to normal life.
    Del Boy wrote: »
    It's just an opinion but I can't see there being a Championship this year. And a best case scenario is matches behind closed doors.
    I see games being played but behind closed doors
    [/b]

Will people just stop throwing out this "behind closed doors" line.

It's a fantasy.

Behind closed doors is impossible in an amateur sport like the GAA.

It's not about simply preventing the spread by not allowing people into the stands, you have to prevent spread among the players, the officials, the people that are needed to make a game go ahead, and their families and work colleagues etc.
    behind closed doors is perfectly possible in an amatuer sport as its same as pros. You limit people who attend to those who are needed for a game to be played.
    why do you think if there wasnt games this year there wouldnt be any next year?

The players wouldn’t bother with behind closed doors that would be absolute crap I’d rather no championship. We are all going to have to pick up this virus at some stage if we want to get back to normal , do how is staying g at home the awnser, when this dole money dries up people won’t be hanging out of tony Holohan’s press conferences for too long.

The players wouldn’t bother with behind closed doors that would be absolute crap I’d rather no championship. We are all going to have to pick up this virus at some stage if we want to get back to normal , do how is staying g at home the awnser, when this dole money dries up people won’t be hanging out of tony Holohan’s press conferences for too long.

We're hoping for some vaccine or successful treatment in the next year. So hopefully it's a year max.

Can't speak for general public but I'm happy to alter my life to an extent ......no matches/festivals/travel abroad for the coming months if it reduces the chance of me getting it and worse passing it on the parents.

But life had to return at some point.... You're right there. But I think people will tolerate the sacrifices for the rest of the year. Work and shops will get back to normal. But sports won't be high on list of priorities this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

behind closed doors allows games be played, something for people to look forward to. It wouldnt be crap if alternative was no games be played at all.
    No we wont all have to pick disease up at some stage to get back to normal. People will have to accept changes to what was considered the norm before this

Seems like some people on here love the misery as they have pathetic lives in the first place and this lockdown drags everyone else down to their loner loser levels. Roll on the beer and the championship there is not a hope in hell of this continuing all summer zero chance.

I would have loved to have seen it back but you’re kind of making me wish there’s none this year now. With a bit of luck it would be the end of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I struggle to see how the GAA could afford to run a championship behind closed doors.

The intercounty game requires a lot of revenue to pay for all the so called "training expenses".
    Little or no revenue would be generated by playing behind closed doors to pay the bills. There would be uproar from the usual hurlers on the ditch if they were to be streamed behind a pay wall to generate revenue. Its OK for the Premier league to do it as people understand that professionals need to be paid and nearly all live football has now been behind a pay wall in England for 30 years now. What county board realistically could fund the training of their teams without revenue coming in?
    I reckon the GAA should just abandon the championship in 2020, and we might be able with a bit of luck have our club championships at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I've given up hope of a championship this year but what about the possiblity of having both this years and next years championship played in 2021? Could this be a runner? Get rid of 2021 National Leagues and run off two championships from Feb/Mar - Sep/Oct. Providing things are better of course. One way or another this years championship will be played. I think the 1921 All Ireland final was played in 1923. The appetite for it would be huge. It would give us all a fair time to try and suppress and beat this disease. We'll be in a much better position next Feb/Mar and the country would embrace a festival of GAA games to celebrate our new found 'freedom'. The GAA wouldn't lose all the millions they would have by playing to empty crowds behind closed doors. I'm a dreamer lads. I need some hope to keep my spirits up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Zetor19 is no longer permitted to post on this thread.

This thread is not an avenue for soapboxing re the restrictions that have put in place since the onset of COVID 19 public health crisis nor politicising of same.

This thread is solely for the discussion of the implications of this crisis with reference to our gaelic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I've given up hope of a championship this year but what about the possiblity of having both this years and next years championship played in 2021? Could this be a runner? Get rid of 2021 National Leagues and run off two championships from Feb/Mar - Sep/Oct. Providing things are better of course. One way or another this years championship will be played. I think the 1921 All Ireland final was played in 1923. The appetite for it would be huge. It would give us all a fair time to try and suppress and beat this disease. We'll be in a much better position next Feb/Mar and the country would embrace a festival of GAA games to celebrate our new found 'freedom'. The GAA wouldn't lose all the millions they would have by playing to empty crowds behind closed doors. I'm a dreamer lads. I need some hope to keep my spirits up.

I don’t like that idea at all. The league is a brilliant competition.if we don’t have a championship this year, we could see this years league being completed in Autumn.

I don’t like that idea at all. The league is a brilliant competition.if we don’t have a championship this year, we could see this years league being completed in Autumn.

I like the League's as much as the next person but if that idea i proposed was to happen (i know its a long shot) the League's would have to take a back seat for one year as there just wouldn't be enough time for all. I'm just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I like the League's as much as the next person but if that idea i proposed was to happen (i know its a long shot) the League's would have to take a back seat for one year as there just wouldn't be enough time for all. I'm just throwing it out there.

I’d prefer a 2021 league in the timeframe you suggested than a 2020 championship

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think running the leagues first is a better idea give teams a chance to ease into it. If the championship was run teams would not be up too speed. And it would just be a rush job for the sake of it. Plus not only that anyone who wins 'the championship' would always have an asterisk put beside them. It would give a completely new meaning to the 'soft all-ireland'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think running the leagues first is a better idea give teams a chance to ease into it. If the championship was run teams would not be up too speed. And it would just be a rush job for the sake of it. Plus not only that anyone who wins 'the championship' would always have an asterisk put beside them. It would give a completely new meaning to the 'soft all-ireland'.

Kerry are used to them sure and I'm sure Mayo would take a flaccid one at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

We ignore this over hyped flu and get back to normal . Why what do you think Is going to happen let’s say next March, what will change? The way Leo Simon and tony are going people will die of old age before the virus works through the population . Not to mention the state of the economy by then.

Good evening Mr. President. I knew you were fond of Twitter but on Boards too?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

https://www.livescience.com/experimental-covid19-vaccine-protects-monkeys.html
    As my own native county's captain Conlon said, there'll be no championship in 2020 if there's no vaccine in 2020. But it could be coming sooner than expected. I'm not saying we will 100% have but there's reason to have a little hope.

I’d prefer a 2021 league in the timeframe you suggested than a 2020 championship

Would you just write off the 2020 championship. Never to be played if we can't play it this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Would you just write off the 2020 championship. Never to be played if we can't play it this year?

Yes i would anyway, having 2 cships next year at the expense of the NFL is pure daft imo

Advertisement