Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Yes i would anyway, having 2 cships next year at the expense of the NFL is pure daft imo

One way or another i expect 2020 All Ire winners in both codes. Whether it's this year, next year or whenever. None of us know for sure but thats my opinion on it at present.

One way or another i expect 2020 All Ire winners in both codes. Whether it's this year, next year or whenever. None of us know for sure but thats my opinion on it at present.

Tipp and Dublin and we’ll move on to 2021.

Tipp and Dublin and we’ll move on to 2021.

That would do me fine :)

They'll be won on the field Regi. Like they've always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking to myself of doing a 'google maps mock trip' to Parnell Park and CP in May.
    I will have to find an old KK and Dublin hurling ticket for PP. Important to get the ticket early for the game. Was nearly caught out one year should be packed.

Will pack a bag making a sandwich throwing an auld programme.

Not forgetting the suncream and raincoat (just in case). And get dressed up in the cap and geansai. I figure in the football there will not be many at it, since it is only the leinster championship against Louth. Will be interesting to see how Bugler fares in Leinster debut.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Based on what exactly if its not this year? :confused:

Based on what exactly if its not this year? :confused:

Based on the fact there have been winners for every years championship going all the way back to 1887. The year of the Easter Rising in 1916 didnt stop it. The War of Independance didnt stop it. The First and Second World War didnt stop it. Foot and Mouth didnt stop it. Even when All Irelands were postponed that years All Ireands were played at a later date. There have been winners for every years All Ireland from 1887 up to now no matter what was thrown at it. Thays why i believe there will be winners for 2020 also. Its a proud tradition and no poxy virus is going to change that.

scrubs33 wrote: »

I think you need to fix the link.

"This could involve testing upwards of 2,000 people on a regular basis." - that is some amount of work for those in healthcare. Lots of medical students will be getting free tickets during the year.

I think you need to fix the link.

"This could involve testing upwards of 2,000 people on a regular basis." - that is some amount of work for those in healthcare. Lots of medical students will be getting free tickets during the year.

You’re right, for some reason the link isn’t working but it’s from RTE saying there’s a plan to reintroduce inter county training. Will see if I can fix it when I’m back at baseðŸ‘

As much as I like going to matches and watching them on TV, if they waste 2000 tests “on a regular basis” for sport then the whole thing is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭C__MC

That's very selfish from HQ
    Will this include 32 hurling and football counties along with underage county teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

C__MC wrote: »
    Will this include 32 hurling and football counties along with underage county teams?
    is it selfish considering other sports and events will also be returning under strict conditions at same time?
    And no it wouldnt and shouldnt have to include underage teams right now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That article seems like wishful thinking to me.

is it selfish considering other sports and events will also be returning under strict conditions at same time?

Sport is a “nice to have”. I’d be more on for holding any spare tests in case this starts to rise again rather than let any sports body use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭C__MC

Amateur ethos
    Professional different

As much as I like going to matches and watching them on TV, if they waste 2000 tests “on a regular basis” for sport then the whole thing is a joke.
    C__MC wrote: »
    Sport is a “nice to have”. I’d be more on for holding any spare tests in case this starts to rise again rather than let any sports body use them.

Good points. But on the other hand sport lifts people's spirits a bit. Even Mayo people get joy out of it on occasion! Even if it is behind closed doors people would have a distraction from the current crisis.
    It all depends if you think regular testing of 2000 people is worth it for mass entertainment on the telly (if behind closed doors). People who do not like sport, would not understand it one iota and would see it as unforgivable.

Good points. But on the other hand sport lifts people's spirits a bit. Even Mayo people get joy out of it on occasion! Even if it is behind closed doors people would have a distraction from the current crisis.
    It all depends if you think regular testing of 2000 people is worth it for mass entertainment on the telly (if behind closed doors). People who do not like sport, would not understand it one iota and would see it as unforgivable.

I love sport, especially the GAA, and would see it as unforgivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Depends on where the story came from and what the expectation of ease of testing would be. It's definitely getting easier in terms of supply and turnaround time given they are now moving to 100,000 a week.

But it would have to be significantly more for this to be at all feasible, as I said before GAA doesn't operate in isolation. How many tests would the IRFU and FAI need if this was to be sanctioned for the GAA?

Edit: 100,000 sorry not 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What other sports though? Alot or nonsense & rumours being bandied about. Nothing concrete and no decisions made.

Exactly. And then what if one of them tests positive? That'll shut the whole thing down again and may take even longer to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Absolute madness this suggestion. Countless people exhibiting symptoms of the virus were denied a test because the conditions to get a test were so narrow.

I have my framed Limerick team photo on the wall, there are 62 people in total. 62 people who would need to be "regularly" tested according to this proposal. 32 counties, both codes; you're talking at least three thousand, probably four thousand tests at a time?

The only people who should be entitled to regular testing without exhibiting symptoms are front line workers, and people working in a public capacity at the moment such as floor/till staff in shops/supermarkets and so on.

I miss the GAA so much and I'm dying for it to return, in fact I know I'll probably be quite emotional the next time I'm at a big match when Amhrán na bhFiann is being belted out before throw in. But any return must be under the right circumstances. This suggested "plan" is madness, and the players aren't here for our personal entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

In fairness to them, it talks about resuming training some time this summer potentially which is a 4 month window essentially. In the space of 3-4 weeks t testing has gone from about about 10K a week and a backlog of up to 10 days to now a commitment to 100k and same day results.

Capacity could well increase further in the coming weeks and months that might get over the testing barrier. Players and coaches are looking for clarity on a proposed resumption date so GAA either need to cancel very thing for this year now or else draft plans and seek expert advice from the Department's of Health and Sport. I think it's prudent but still unlikely we'll see a championship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

Even if the Health System had the capacity to do the extra tests for the GAA players I still don't think it would be right to try and have a Championship this year.

What if a player had a family member with underlying health conditions and somehow managed to pass the virus to them? They are amateur players, they have jobs and lives outside the GAA and shouldn't be put in this situation.

John Horan dismissing the story around a return to training and saying championships could run into 2021
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0427/1135047-john-horan-gaa-championships-could-run-into-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

scrubs33 wrote: »
    John Horan dismissing the story around a return to training and saying championships could run into 2021
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0427/1135047-john-horan-gaa-championships-could-run-into-2021/

Government departments and officials are addicted to flying kites at press conferences without discussing it beforehand with those involved....had it with Harris and schools last weekend, sport this weekend. Horan right to call them out.

Looks like the proposal i posted over the weekend isn't as daft after all and while not one poster agreed with it as being in any way a viable proposition the GAA Presidant John Horan hasn't ruled out the 2020 championship being played in 2021. We've got to think outside the box for this one year. The Championship is sacrosanct and one way or another it will be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Looks like the proposal i posted over the weekend isn't as daft after all and while not one poster agreed with it as being in any way a viable proposition the GAA Presidant John Horan hasn't ruled out the 2020 championship being played in 2021. We've got to think outside the box for this one year. The Championship is sacrosanct and one way or another it will be played.

I'm sticking by my viewpoint that a 2020 championship in 2021 would be worse than a 2021 league in 2021!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What Horan is suggesting is that if the championship was started later this year it might run into 2021, not that this year's championship be played in its entirety next year. That to me would be a non-runner, we're not going to see two championships played off in the same year. Personally I don't see the point of that at all. Let's hope we get a league and a championship in 2021, with people allowed to attend the games. That might be the best we can hope for at the moment.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    What Horan is suggesting is that if the championship was started later this year it might run into 2021, not that this year's championship be played in its entirety next year. That to me would be a non-runner, we're not going to see two championships played off in the same year. Personally I don't see the point of that at all. Let's hope we get a league and a championship in 2021, with people allowed to attend the games. That might be the best we can hope for at the moment.

Whether it starts in 2020 or not isn't really the point. There is a good chance All Ireland winners for 2020 will be decided in 2021. Championship trumps the League seven days a week and twice on Sundays. If they can fit the League in thats even better. Either way 2021 is shaping up to be a feast of GAA action that will make up for this years hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

The 1918 All Ireland Football final was played on 16th February 1919
    1919 final was played on 28th September 1919

1920 final was played on 11th June 1922
    1921 final was played on 17th June 1923
    1922 Final was played on 7th October 1923
    1923 Final was played on 28th September 1924
    1924 Final was played on 16th April 1925

No reason why they can't play 2 All Ireland championships in the one calendar year and not play the league next year if needs be.It might just be the easiest solution to everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Very different in those days with teams having 1 or 2 provincial games and straight into the all Ireland semis and final. Youd be looking at probably 4 games to win an all Ireland.

These days you have provincial, back door, quarter final groups. Round Robin formats in the hurling. Unless you just go back to straight knock out and rush through it, which I wouldnt like to see, I dont see how you could play it off next year in a hurry and putting players under the pressure of 2 championships in one year wouldnt be fair on them imo.

Advertisement