Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric hair trimmer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

For anyone still looking to pick up a (reasonably priced) clippers, I just picked up these Braun ones on Amazon - link. In stock (dispatched and sold by Amazon) for £40 at the time of writing.

No idea what they are like, will try to post an update when I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If you can get the Wahl Super Taper it's a professional quality clipper which at €65 in around the same price you're paying for the home clippers.

The Wahl Elite Pro is similar but both are like hen's teeth in the last couple of weeks.

Terrisales was a popular option based upon recommendations in this thread as they're based in Ireland and deliver in 2 days but I think they've been cleaned out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

All the reasonably priced Wahl clippers have been sold out in Ireland/UK, I've been looking for 2 days. I'm not gonna spend 100+ on hair clippers i'll use while quarantined and I dont have any intention in taking up cutting hair :pac: to get ROI.
    hardybuck wrote: »
    If you can get the Wahl Super Taper it's a professional quality clipper which at €65 in around the same price you're paying for the home clippers.

The Wahl Elite Pro is similar but both are like hen's teeth in the last couple of weeks.

Terrisales was a popular option based upon recommendations in this thread as they're based in Ireland and deliver in 2 days but I think they've been cleaned out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

gazzamc wrote: »
    All the reasonably priced Wahl clippers have been sold out in Ireland/UK, I've been looking for 2 days. I'm not gonna spend 100+ on hair clippers i'll use while quarantined and I dont have any intention in taking up cutting hair :pac: to get ROI.

Yeah products were scarce in the last 2-4 weeks when I was looking, but I think a lot of people must have held out until they realised they weren't opening barbers until mid summer at the earliest. I've got very thick hair so was delighted to get the Super Taper for €65 which I'll certainly get ROI on.

It's frustrating that companies like Argos have an excellent range on their UK website available to buy. They offer a much more limited range in Ireland which have been sold out for probably a couple of months now, and don't allow delivery through Parcel Motel.

I think Ireland seems to be heavily reliant on the UK for electrical goods so this will be a preview for Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Worst happens is you have to do a #3 all over. I think a #4 is too long, and a #3 is easier to do, the shorter you go the easier and quicker I find it. If you do a #1 and its a tiny bit longer in places its less noticeable than a "zero" which is a bit off, but if doing a zero its easy to rub your hand on your head to check if any place is missed.

Its no big deal, its not the 1990s where you might be refused from a pub with a #4 all over (this is no joke youngsters!), no pubs open anyways!. I know a guy who got I think a #2 or #3 all over for a charity shave and I think it was even less than 10 years ago, I was amazed that was still a thing! he has kept it that length ever since too. I think many will once the see the convenience of it, wake up good to go, no visits to the barber, let alone the expense.

Anybody who does a 3 or 4 all over should try to go a blade lower, it will be a blade longer in approx 1 week anyway. You get used to the new look quickly and will really notice how easier it is to do.

Posted this elsewhere
    rubadub wrote: »
    Not all clippers will be the exact same. I have a wahl balding professional clipper and highly recommend it.

I was bored and looking up blades the other day,

for Wahl (and most others) a #1 blade is 1/8" (3.2mm), #2 is 1/4" (6.35mm), #3 is 3/8" all going up 1/8" at a time, I thought there might have been bigger jumps between the higher numbers

Hair is meant to grow 6 inches a year, or just under 1/8" a week. So if you get a #1 it should be a #2 after 1 week. This may be useful for people confined at home who always wanted to see what they would be like with a closer cut, knowing that a #1 would be a #3 in 2 weeks. A change can seem drastic at first but you get used to it fast, I find shaving with a #1 is way easier than say a #3.

My wahl balding is meant to cut to 0.4mm with no blade (zero), while a standard wahl like is 0.8mm.

average growth is 0.43mm per day, so the day after shaving with the balding would be as long as if I had done a zero with a regular wahl. Facial hair grows at the same rate so its like my balding blade gives me the equivalent of 1 days growth after proper razor smooth shave, the standard wahl should be the same as 2 days growth if you had done a wet shave.

I use the wahl balding on my face, and that is the reason I wanted one that went a bit closer. The blades criss cross at twice the speed so it is faster to use. Some review show people cutting themselves with it, which is risk, I have not got a cut in ages.
    The balding wahl only comes with a 0.5 and a 1.5

Also CHECK THE BLADES, some lad in the bargains forum usually got a #6 in the barbers and put on a #2 by mistake, which is also marked 6mm, he scalped himself. But no big deal, I was wondering if he has stuck with it now. I hated the look of a grown out 4 all over, when you get down to a #2 it can never look messed up if you slept on it or whatever.

Check the other amazon sites too.

this one is €67,67 including delivery to Ireland from amazon spain. Says delivery by 19th may, and its usually quicker with amazon. I got something from amazon germany before the estimate just recently. It probably comes with a EU plug, so just change or use an adaptor.

https://www.amazon.es/Wahl-Close-Cut-Pro-Cortapelo/dp/B00V87K4FA/ref=sr_1_26?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=wahl&qid=1588967564&sr=8-26&swrs=6EF5649604FEAEC61E405A3A2DEC60D6

It is £90 on amazon uk, EUR 121,21 with delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am selling a set of Remington PG3000 rechargeable hair trimmers.

Used once.

Pm me if anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I recommend the Remington QuickCut for anyone nervous about cutting their own hair.

I've used a few different clippers over the years and found it the easiest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I recommend the Remington QuickCut for anyone nervous about cutting their own hair.

I've used a few different clippers over the years and found it the easiest of the lot.

I assume it has different settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

As in different comb lengths? Yeah, comes with 9 different combs/guards: (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 15 mm)

Best checking out the videos on YouTube for a closer look at it. It's called the ShortCut in the States.

Here's the video that made me want one initially:

Here's the reviews on Amazon (where it's currently out of stock):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remington-Clippers-Lengths-Trimming-Detailing/dp/B012F8MS9A

Got mine in Argos for €35 and so if interested keep an eye out for when they reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As in different comb lengths? Yeah, comes with 9 different combs/guards: (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 9, 12, 15 mm)

Best checking out the videos on YouTube for a closer look at it. It's called the ShortCut in the States.

Got mine in Argos for €35 and so if interested keep an eye out for when they reopen.

Yeah, I'll second the QuickCut as a really great bit of equipment. I only use it to do a no guard buzz cut if I want a break from razoring the head, but it's so quick and easy to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I ordered one last Friday, cheapo Wahl thing. The seller on ebay hasn't dispatched yet, granted it's early. I'll keep an eye. I'm a little concerned as their page listings are now blank. The money has come off my card. Hopefully it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

We had a small hairy dog decided to clip him ,got a new dog clippers from Argos . dog went mad when we went near him .they were never taken out for years until Sunday and I asked wife would she try to cut my hair . The whole thing was a great job ,don"t be afraid dog clippers will do just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In the same grooming vein, any suggestions for a general body trimmer and eyebrow trimmer?

The latter are starting to get a bit wild :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

flossy1 wrote: »
    We had a small hairy dog decided to clip him ,got a new dog clippers from Argos . dog went mad when we went near him .they were never taken out for years until Sunday and I asked wife would she try to cut my hair . The whole thing was a great job ,don"t be afraid dog clippers will do just as well

Hope she clipped your nails and did your glands while she was at it :P

The wahl pet trimmers are just relabelled regular ones (at least some are, the bog standard ones, there are professional kits too which are probably different). I saw a guy on amazon say he sent his back as it was just the same. You can check the spare parts and the blades are the exact same for lots of models.

You should really get clipper oil to maintiain them properly. Learn how to align & clean the blades. I sharpened mine recently and noticed the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bought a BaByliss one from power city 20+6 delivery took about a week to come but grand job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You need to fix those links. ^^

eBay person has done a runner with my money, I think. No dispatch email and it was due to arrive by now. No response to my messages.

Ones on Amazon seem out of stock or don't ship to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

coldfire1x wrote: »

That Philips 7000 one seems to be over 100 everywhere else Philips.ie 120 Euro Amazon 115 Pounds etc.

Is it priced wrong on Argos possibly.

Just reserved one although it says it only has 4 hair attachments for 9 to 16MM ,can the other ones still be used on the head I wonder ?

it says it only has 4 hair attachments for 9 to 16MM ,can the other ones still be used on the head I wonder ?
    Yes, you could use whatever you want. Most people have no idea about mm hair lengths so they are just give you rough guides on what you would use where.

Each barber "blade" is usually 1/8 of an inch, so 3.175mm. (some sites will round these values and call a blade #1 3mm and a 2 a 6mm, but really most are american brands and so are really in inches, the blade #3 is usually said to be 10mm, a jump of 4mm but its down to rounding, it is really 9.525mm and they round up)

2 stubble combs (1 and 2 mm), 1 adjustable beard comb (3-7 mm), 3 hair combs (9, 12 and 16 mm)

So the 9mm is like a 2.83 blade, i.e. just under a blade #3.

16mm is #5

The 7mm is a #2.2 (if such a thing existed)

The 16mm is not that long. My Wahl came with a #8 which is 1 inch 25.4mm and that looks like you have not have your head shaved, just looks like a short scissor cut.

The wahl homecut is very good value in argos.
    https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=WAHL+HOMECUT&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

well know quality brand, I was trying to see what they did to make it cheap but it looks like standard blades. Highest blade is a #6, if you want to go higher you can use a comb under the plastic blade to further elongate it.

I would not get a battery one, the battery will wear out and is usually not as powerful as a mains powered one in the first place, some can be used with the cord though which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We had a bit of mix up the OH wanted to do mine and in the middle got confused and started thinking the number on the comb/guard was the same as the number in the barber.

Even though we'd gone through this in advance. I had wanted it shorter anyway so all good. But could have been a disaster.

This wahl is good value and goes to from #1 to #8, I like the colour coding of the blades. My ancient wahl went to #8 but typically they skip some blade, like I had no 5 or 7.

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=3384620&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

It does not have the level on the side to adjust the blade but I actually prefer that.

even comes with a cape!
    Accessories include: neck brush, cleaning brush, scissors, oil, cape, barber^s comb, blade guard,

It does appear to have a power adjust screw too.

Can you order off Argos at the moment? Stock seems scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Can you order off Argos at the moment? Stock seems scarce.

You can reserve and collect from the stores that are open.

There's a Argos store on ebay . They deliver some of the items to Ireland or you can always use Parcel Motel.

Thanks coldfire.

I've ordered from here. https://www.seanhennessy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

GinSoaked wrote: »
    ROTFL at the recommended retail price :D

Its a cheap chinese knock of copy albeit a very good one.

Yes. Its a copy of the Wahl magic clip.

Google the reviews. Proper tool by the looks of it. I dont know any different but its finished very well and mows through my thick hair likes its not there.

kemei 2600 vs wahl magic clip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Yes. Its a copy of the Wahl magic clip.

Google the reviews. Proper tool by the looks of it. I dont know any different but its finished very well and mows through my thick hair likes its not there.

kemei 2600 vs wahl magic clip

Read back I recommended it earlier in the thread got mine from Amazon but they are out of stock. I'm currently sporting a number 4 all over - well that sounds bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Read back I recommended it earlier in the thread got mine from Amazon but they are out of stock. I'm currently sporting a number 4 all over - well that sounds bad.

What’s wrong with a 4 ?

Advertisement