Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric hair trimmer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Going bald on top so always got a no 1 at the barber because I didn't think i'd be able to trim my own hair.

Bought a Remington years ago but never used it so when this kicked in I pulled it out of the press and been doing it myself the last few weeks.

Took me a while to get the hang of it but practice makes perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

So do you guys reckon you will keep cutting your own hair or go back to the barbers when they re-open? I think I'll keep using my own clippers. No more waiting around in the barbers and having kids throwing toy cars at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So do you guys reckon you will keep cutting your own hair or go back to the barbers when they re-open? I think I'll keep using my own clippers. No more waiting around in the barbers and having kids throwing toy cars at me.

Did not know toy cars was an issue. Thanks. Will be mindful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'll go back as they need business and can do a better job. The advantage of having your own clippers is you can top up between barber visits or try out new styles. You can always get the barber to fix it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I'll go back as they need business and can do a better job. The advantage of having your own clippers is you can top up between barber visits or try out new styles. You can always get the barber to fix it afterwards.

My barber always jokes that they should charge extra for fixing mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Much as I love my barbers it'll be a while before I feel confident returning.

Can see myself using my own clippers for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Finally got my wife to cut my using hair trimmer don't know who was more nervous me or her, but she don't a good job, granted ive very little hair on top so just back and sides really, so much easier then most, i don't know now if i should bother with the barbers anymore it came out that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'd been tempted to shave my head for the last few months (going light on top :() so getting a clippers when I did a few weeks ago seemed like the perfect time to try it. I really like it, and will continue doing it, so can't see myself heading back to the barbers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think I will go to the barber some of the time and other weeks do it myself, handy way to save a few bob.

At least we can do it ourselves in times like this, not sure how the ladies will manage until the hairdressers open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I enjoy getting my hair cut by a professional so my long term plan is to definitely go back to my regular barber. But if they were to re-open in the next few weeks I don't think I'd feel comfortable going back just yet. If they sold vouchers or something then I'd happily buy some in the mean time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd go back, not any time soon. Not a fan of the small talk, but no matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Bought a trimmer with all the coloured attachments about 7 months ago , herself was too nervous doing it. Its fairly fool proof, im thinning a fair bit on top now, so started with a 4 blade. But herself encouraged me to go tighter so the sides blend in better. On the 1 blade now all over. Takes about 4 to 5 mon tops. Best to kneel down, hunch over and keep trimming until to don't hear the cut. Have vaccum to hand and job completed...no evidence. A quick shower and you're feeling fresh.
    Best 30 euros ever :)
    Herself is like a wild meadow now... but bothering her less these days as she sees worse when we hit the supermarket :)

Just practiced what i preach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

realistically will barbers be open in 2020 ??? I think a home hair cut is inevitable ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Some might be interested in this.

Capital Hair and Beauty and Frank Hackett of Retro barbers in Limerick have created a series of 10 minute Barbering tutorials on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Just did my own. Clippers 4mm side and scissor top. Took a while but looks ok. Definitely had worse from some Barbour shops in the past..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anybody on here buy the blade one from jifte(I've never heard of them), cheap at 25 us dollars, don't seem to have much of anything, I think it's only battery powered

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I borrowed one off the neighbors as my son wanted his hair cut, watched a couple of university of Youtube videos. Worked out well. So does anywhere have them in stock?, Amazon just seemed to be a load of Dont deliver to Ireland or stuff obviously coming from China. The bigger Irish on line brands didnt seem to have anything, only seem to be sites that dont have great reputations or very long delivery so gain probably Chinese.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I borrowed one off the neighbors as my son wanted his hair cut, watched a couple of university of Youtube videos. Worked out well. So does anywhere have them in stock?, Amazon just seemed to be a load of Dont deliver to Ireland or stuff obviously coming from China. The bigger Irish on line brands didnt seem to have anything, only seem to be sites that dont have great reputations or very long delivery so gain probably Chinese.
    littlewoodsireland still have a few left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Having a clippers delivered this week: did anyone find any YouTube tutorials in particular any use?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Having a clippers delivered this week: did anyone find any YouTube tutorials in particular any use?

I didn't think a youtube tutorial was going to do anything to improve on my strategy of a #4 all over?

• Advertisement

I managed to find a good tutorial on how to shave my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

any clippers recommendations going ???

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

I've ordered this https://bit.ly/3fxBMt4 from Mc Cabes Pharmacy as I'm desperate for a hair cut!

I'll let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Link not working for me.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Link not working for me.

Good I hate it when people use bitly links :pac:

I settled on this one in the end, the ones on Littlewoods seemed to be more trimmers or product reviews werent great.

https://www.parfumdreams.ie/Panasonic/Haircare/Hair-Clippers/Hair-Clippers-ER-GP30/index_71924.aspx

I stumbled over this tutorial when I did my son's hair , covers the basics.

https://youtu.be/-ewJDxnYkNU

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

silverharp wrote: »
    I settled on this one in the end, the ones on Littlewoods seemed to be more trimmers or product reviews werent great.

https://www.parfumdreams.ie/Panasonic/Haircare/Hair-Clippers/Hair-Clippers-ER-GP30/index_71924.aspx

I stumbled over this tutorial when I did my son's hair , covers the basics.

https://youtu.be/-ewJDxnYkNU

Any good ? :)

lillielad wrote: »
    Any good ? :)

Ill tell you when it arrives, prob 10 days or so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I gave it a shot a few weeks ago but couldnt get the side fade right and ended up with a very noticeable line halfway along my head.

Tried again yesterday but this time I just did a blade 4 all over and it's better.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I gave it a shot a few weeks ago but couldnt get the side fade right and ended up with a very noticeable line halfway along my head.

Tried again yesterday but this time I just did a blade 4 all over and it's better.

In years to come a number 4 all over may come to be call a covid-19 haircut.

Advertisement