Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run around tractor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

There are always bigger tractors in the 100 series, although it might be difficult to get a decent reliable one nowadays as they'd be fairly old. Something like a 188. It depends on himself too. He might be kinda stuck on one type which he knows or he likes.

Here's a 175 for example. No power steering on it now or cab either.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/175-mf/24435812

He is fairly open minded as regards what he wants as we have both agreed that something is needed around the place which is a plus as I taught he would try and tell me what kind he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

maidhc wrote: »
    Absolutely. I had a 3600 before, which would be about 50hp, and it was downright useless.

I sold it after filling a carry all with stones, and it wouldn't lift it. It was a miserable tractor. The difference between the 3600 and the 4600 is probably greater than then difference between a 4600 and my TS115!

I'd love a 135 to run a finishing mower or something, but that is all they are fit for in this day and age.

People always want a bigger tractor than they need.
    A little 135 is perfect for drawing decent trailers of turf. A smaller tractor is always better on the bog. There's no worse sight than gobsh1tes who can't drive tearing up the bog in 4wd tractors.

If I was you OP, I'd sell the 135 private as people will buy that with their hearts. A very lovable little tractor. There was a lad in Longford who sold restored tractors at a high end price.

We kept an old David Brown 990 and it did all that was required around the remaining place after we lost our farm.
    Ps thanks to whoever posted re Trillicks. I have that David Brown (running) and 3 non-running Nuffields to chase them up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We've a 675 massy here 4WD.
    It does struggle with heavy bales and loading half ton fert into spreader it does struggle.
    Apologies for hijacking thread but is there anything can be done to improve its lifting capabilities?
    Ideally would love a teleporter around the place

I had a 675 for years until it literally fell apart. It lift was good enough well capable of a half ton of fertlizer and I never had an issue lifting bales. I never had weights on it either. If she got a clean one it would do her job but they are impossible to find clean mist have been exported anyway.

Biggest issue with older tractors is the steel tank for diesel. An absolute pain be wise the diesel always gets dirty. Very important to clean the filter in the tank, as well as replace the prefilter (fit one if not there's already) and main fuel filter every year. A great idea as well is to fit an electrical lift pump instead of manual.

While 3 series Massey's are grand they are massively overpriced. I have seen garages look for 15 k for two wheel drive 3 series and they are not immaculate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/sh-deutz-dx4-50-tractor/23509707

I know its over budget. But these air cooled deutzs are a very good tractor.
    Nice comfy cab too for the era.and looks clean.
    Needs repairs to breaks which are a weak point on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I had a 675 for years until it literally fell apart. It lift was good enough well capable of a half ton of fertlizer and I never had an issue lifting bales. I never had weights on it either. If she got a clean one it would do her job but they are impossible to find clean mist have been exported anyway.

Biggest issue with older tractors is the steel tank for diesel. An absolute pain be wise the diesel always gets dirty. Very important to clean the filter in the tank, as well as replace the prefilter (fit one if not there's already) and main fuel filter every year. A great idea as well is to fit an electrical lift pump instead of manual.

While 3 series Massey's are grand they are massively overpriced. I have seen garages look for 15 k for two wheel drive 3 series and they are not immaculate.

The 390's and 390T's are especially overpriced due to demand (not unlike the 135). But the other models in that range tend to be a bit more reasonable in comparison.

That said, they do hold their values exceptionally well. That is part of why lads will want you to overpay for them.

Easy to get the parts for them and you can do a lot of the repairs yourself on them. They are still effectively an updated 100 series. As you said about the 600's, a lot of the 200's are exported. The 100's must be going out as well because there used to be an awful lot of them for sale

I always heard that the that the 600s were "soft". But I don't know. second and third hand information. Weren't they French built? Maybe that was what people didn't like

• Advertisement

Theheff wrote: »

Would t cost much to do the brakes

Slava Ukrainii

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A master cylinder is about 400 plus vat, each caliper is about 100 plus vat.
    Don't know about disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Old Zetor Crystal for €2500. Good brakes. These will handle any round bale and have a fine cab. You would have €2500 left over to tidy it up with cab glass and some paint. Parts are cheap and easy to get also. There are guys bringing tin work back from eastern Europe for them too. Once the brakes are sorted they are a grand tractor.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-crystal-8011/24019887

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A master cylinder is about 400 plus vat, each caliper is about 100 plus vat.
    Don't know about disks.

Discs are usually cheap enough more than likely as cheap as s single caliper. 1500 euro might seem a lot of money but if it was the only thing wrong if the tractor was purchased for 1k less you have a decent tractor for 7.5k. as well maintenance is a straight tax write off in the year of activity

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Discs are usually cheap enough more than likely as cheap as s single caliper. 1500 euro might seem a lot of money but if it was the only thing wrong if the tractor was purchased for 1k less you have a decent tractor for 7.5k. as well maintenance is a straight tax write off in the year of activity

No water pumps, radiators, thermostats to worry about either, nor any fear of frost....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Is it possible to put it in as a tax write off if you were to buy off a farm say rather then a dealer? Sorry I am not too familiar with this side of things or how they work may sound like a stupid question

Anniepower wrote: »
    Is it possible to put it in as a tax write off if you were to buy off a farm say rather then a dealer? Sorry I am not too familiar with this side of things or how they work may sound like a stupid question

Everything on a farm.id tax deductible. As long as you have a receipt or it can be traced financially.

Slava Ukrainii

We had one and while we had it we had to redo the breaks. Change seals on calipers and add new pads. Change seals on the master cylinders. Not knowing the extent of to this problem I would be allowing a least €750. But least when the breaks are done you know it be good for a good few years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

almostover wrote: »
    Old Zetor Crystal for €2500. Good brakes. These will handle any round bale and have a fine cab. You would have €2500 left over to tidy it up with cab glass and some paint. Parts are cheap and easy to get also. There are guys bringing tin work back from eastern Europe for them too. Once the brakes are sorted they are a grand tractor.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-crystal-8011/24019887

I'm more of a stockman than a machinery man (I could drive it and keep diesel/oil in it and not much else being honest). However providing the above is in good working order (get someone who knows to look it over) that seems good value to me. Those Zetors were common enough around here years back and I never heard too many serious complaints about them although I'm no mechanic. The cab on them was spacious, comfortable for the era and had a flat floor which would be a bonus to an older person as opposed having to climb across the gear housing of a similar age Massey. It's also a good sized heavy tractor which should be well capable of everything you're asking of it. My recommendation would be too look for something similar that's easy to fix and source parts for as maintanance of some sort is always going to be an issue with older equipment regardless of how clean it is.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-7610-with-power-loader/24558828

A loader on this one. Plently of options out there to suit your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm more of a stockman than a machinery man (I could drive it and keep diesel/oil in it and not much else being honest). However providing the above is in good working order (get someone who knows to look it over) that seems good value to me. Those Zetors were common enough around here years back and I never heard too many serious complaints about them although I'm no mechanic. The cab on them was spacious, comfortable for the era and had a flat floor which would be a bonus to an older person as opposed having to climb across the gear housing of a similar age Massey. It's also a good sized heavy tractor which should be well capable of everything you're asking of it. My recommendation would be too look for something similar that's easy to fix and source parts for as maintanance of some sort is always going to be an issue with older equipment regardless of how clean it is.

A low profile cab won't have as high to climb up into or to climb back down from though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A low profile cab won't have as high to climb up into or to climb back down from though.

That's a fair point and depending on the mobility of the person in question it could be a deal breaker. However I'm not a fan of the cab layout of a lot of the older tractors and Massey's seem to be nearly the worst I've encountered. Perhaps it's just my imagination but I find the cabs awkward to get in or out of, cramped and generally restrictive. There's been Zetors at home for as long as I can remember and although they have faults as with all makes comfort wouldn't be one of them imo. I got the loan of a neighbor's MF 240 one day last summer and tbh I thought it was a massive step backwards as regards comfort and noise levels as well as having to step across the gear housing when entering/exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

It’s cheap for a reason. Did you ever drive that type?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

i know where there is a 5610 for around 5.5 /6 k shes fairly straight all glass and all seems to work i drove her for a mile the other day i needed her to go into a low shed

• Advertisement

The tractor is at least 35 years old now. Your not gona get a fab tractor for small money. But is this tractor not worth a look at. Who knows it could be the finest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The tractor is at least 35 years old now. Your not gona get a fab tractor for small money. But is this tractor not worth a look at. Who knows it could be the finest.

They left the best picture till last alright, rubik's cube gear change wouldn't be anyone's cup of tea.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

That style of gear lever arrangement on the steering column wasn't Fords brightest idea..
    Is that not the infamous "Rubic's cube" shifter set-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Realistically, is it practical to buy a tractor such as those mentioned in this thread and expect it to work faultlessly? I know you could be lucky, but I know of two neighbours who bough cheap tractors, and ended up spending far more than what the tractor cost on repairs. One in particular needed a lot of money spent on it from day one...The other worked alright, but needed various repairs over the years, which left it a very dear tractor in the end. I know any tractor can, and will, break down no matter what it cost, but would raising the budget a little get you something more dependable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭older by the day

hopeso wrote: »
    t would raising the budget a little get you something more dependable?

I would say no, unless you raise the budget by about an extra 10,000 or 15,000 euro.

Are Case fast on the road? Thinking of buying a 90hp tractor 2 wd for roadwork and light field work. Drawn towards a JD 2850

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Buying an older tractor quite often it will also be about having a local mechanic familiar with that make of tractor, also minimise electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Are Case fast on the road? Thinking of buying a 90hp tractor 2 wd for roadwork and light field work. Drawn towards a JD 2850

Be very careful when looking at the 50 series JD, make sure and bring someone with you who is very familiar with them.
    They are a beautiful machine to drive and has excellent torque and the cab is one of the best places to be. However internal oil leaks will lead to eye watering repairs.
    Speed is dependant on each machine, 40k probably became common very late 80s.

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    Be very careful when looking at the 50 series JD, make sure and bring someone with you who is very familiar with them.
    They are a beautiful machine to drive and has excellent torque and the cab is one of the best places to be. However internal oil leaks will lead to eye watering repairs.
    Speed is dependant on each machine, 40k probably became common very late 80s.

I have a 2650 4wd with front loader and gear change on floor. It’s a lovely sweet tractor. Only feeding 100 cattle with bales and slurry. Wouldn’t be doing 200 hours per year.

Advertisement