Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run around tractor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

A 135 with newer bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

How is that with round bales?

It lifts mine no bother but it's dry tedded stuff. I bought it off a neighbour a few months ago but I don't have much use for it to be honest. There's a removable frame on the front of it to carry extra weight. I'll get a few pics there in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

It lifts mine no bother but it's dry tedded stuff. I bought it off a neighbour a few months ago but I don't have much use for it to be honest. There's a removable frame on the front of it to carry extra weight. I'll get a few pics there in a while.

Welcome to LCs boards auction house!! New Corona inspired business venture for ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Base price wrote: »
    Pat Brogan will leave it safe if you ask him although there will be a cost. We found him very honest to deal with all be it was several years ago. He can deliver as well.

He's still the same. Sold as seen most likely means he's taken it in as a trade in and done nothing with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A wet summer and fusion bales will test any runabout tractor. Don't skimp on it and try get something with 80 hp and a decent lift.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Anniepower wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for the honest assessment on this I had spotted it about 3 weeks ago and now it has been re advertised so maybe there’s a reason for that too

There is A nice small Case 386 For sale in mayo

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-386-grass-tyres-price-drop-must-go/23998113

On Grass tyres i know but it looks like a nice small unit for use on a small Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

blue5000 wrote: »
    A wet summer and fusion bales will test any runabout tractor. Don't skimp on it and try get something with 80 hp and a decent lift.

Absolutely. I had a 3600 before, which would be about 50hp, and it was downright useless.

I sold it after filling a carry all with stones, and it wouldn't lift it. It was a miserable tractor. The difference between the 3600 and the 4600 is probably greater than then difference between a 4600 and my TS115!

I'd love a 135 to run a finishing mower or something, but that is all they are fit for in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,160 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mengele wrote: »
    That doesnt look too bad at all for the money. If i were you i would at least give that man a ring about it to see if it has any faults. If you didnt need the loader you could see it and get 1000/1500 for it. not much to go wrong in the fiats and parts are cheap enough generally. It has very low hours. The only thing putting me off is "sold as seen". Would be worth asking how much extra for a 3 month warrenty.

IMO it dose not look like a sub 5k hour tractor. As well if I remember the 90 series Fiat were a running hour clock rather than a works hour clock . I MO if it was a sub5k hours it would be cleaner. Is that the Brogan lad that is up near Aughrim. I brought a tractor off him about two years ago and agree he is very straight.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭emaherx

maidhc wrote: »
    Absolutely. I had a 3600 before, which would be about 50hp, and it was downright useless.

I sold it after filling a carry all with stones, and it wouldn't lift it. It was a miserable tractor. The difference between the 3600 and the 4600 is probably greater than then difference between a 4600 and my TS115!

I'd love a 135 to run a finishing mower or something, but that is all they are fit for in this day and age.

Haybob and finishing mower is pretty much all my 135 does now and occasionally drives the old cement mixer. Takes less fuel to mow the lawn too compared to the ride-on mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not directly familiar with the fords, but hydraulic pumps are relatively cheap. It might have been a worn or dodgy pump if it wasn't lifting just a few stones. I'd consider replacing a pump before I'd replace the machine if that was the only issue with it.

I think I've heard stories about yokes splitting in the middle from lifting too much on the back and having weights on the front keeping the front wheels on the ground (although you might be wanting to ask questions of the last fella to replace the clutch in it if that happened)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

IMO it dose not look like a sub 5k hour tractor. As well if I remember the 90 series Fiat were a running hour clock rather than a works hour clock . I MO if it was a sub5k hours it would be cleaner. Is that the Brogan lad that is up near Aughrim. I brought a tractor off him about two years ago and agree he is very straight.

Pats a brother, there's 4 or 5 brothers all tractor dealers in different places.

Pats a brother, there's 4 or 5 brothers all tractor dealers in different places.

I know there sat least 5 brothers, two or three in Roscommon, one in Limerick, one in Galway and one in Offaly as I think there is another one as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Budget is very small.. and something like a 2 wheel drive zetor 8111. Would be best.. there would be no comparison to an international or ford 4610.. especially for lifting round bales of silage etc.. we have an Extremely over used 1987 zetor 8145 ..4wd it's still a great workhorse ..even with the 4 wd turned off its very good to pull on tough ground as I use it regularly for round bales of silage on an outside farm ..with a rossmore loader.. if the going gets tough ..put on the four wheel drive and she will pull anything away..we have fords that are much bigger like a 7840 but would go near the zetor for pulling in soft ground..
    Problem now days is most tractors either go for export or dismantling..and you're also looking for a loader which will add an extra few k onto any tractors value.. good luck with your search but I doubt you will get what will properly fit your requirements for a budget of 5k.
    And don't buy something that's not adequately able to handle heavy round bales.or an unreliable heap of scrap either..

Oh as for that case 386.. I honestly couldn't see that handling a front loader let alone a bale of silage on it ..also it's only on lawn tyres at the rear so was probably only used to pull a mower on a golf course..

Look at something up above 80hp minimum otherwise you're simply dreaming
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Whatever else you do make sure the tractor you get can handle a fusion bale of silage and lift a half tonne bag of fertiliser with the spinner.

Ah sure, maybe if you got a good trade in for the 135 you could stretch to this. Only 5500 hours on it but you might need to invest in a set of front types on it - the tracking must have been a bit off on it as well.

There's no loader of course, but I'd say it might be able to handle a fusion bale with a spike on the back if you took your time. Might be a little thirstier on the diesel than the 135 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

I know there sat least 5 brothers, two or three in Roscommon, one in Limerick, one in Galway and one in Offaly as I think there is another one as well

Bought off the lad in Limerick. Wouldn’t do it again. Issue happened on tractor within guaranteed period and he wouldn’t cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would he drive one of these?
    If all is well internally, they will lift any round bale.
    Nice light steering, good 4wd system and good brakes if you have hilly ground.
    Bought an identical one about 5 years ago and it's been grand.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/same-leopard-85/24532800

Of one of these? Only 2wd but has the versatility of having a loader fitted.
    They have a good reputation, but it's important to get someone to check the brake pads and disks on these age Deutz.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/dtutz-fahr-tractor/22787884

Tileman wrote: »
    Bought off the lad in Limerick. Wouldn’t do it again. Issue happened on tractor within guaranteed period and he wouldn’t cover it.

I bought off the lad in Roscommon It above near Aughrim, he seemed sound enough but nothing went wrong with tractor.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bazzer007

Try Trillick Tractors up north. They sell to the export market but they might have a good going tractor within your budget range.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

We've a 675 massy here 4WD.
    It does struggle with heavy bales and loading half ton fert into spreader it does struggle.
    Apologies for hijacking thread but is there anything can be done to improve its lifting capabilities?
    Ideally would love a teleporter around the place

• Advertisement

The Case 1394 that I put the link to is a 77hp tractor. It has a lift capable of lifting even a fusion round bale. While an old tractor it is a mid 80's tractor it looks like it has been done up. It seems to have a fairly decent type seat. I say it would only need weight at the front if the bales were very heavy. Can and tin work look ok even thought they have been cleaned up.

Biggest issue is it's a private sale I would say so it would need checking out but so will any tractor in that price bracket. Looks like it has been rewired, it also seems road legal.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Anniepower

Ah sure, maybe if you got a good trade in for the 135 you could stretch to this. Only 5500 hours on it but you might need to invest in a set of front types on it - the tracking must have been a bit off on it as well.

There's no loader of course, but I'd say it might be able to handle a fusion bale with a spike on the back if you took your time. Might be a little thirstier on the diesel than the 135 though

I’m still trying to figure out where I said a loader was a requirement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Would he drive one of these?
    If all is well internally, they will lift any round bale.
    Nice light steering, good 4wd system and good brakes if you have hilly ground.
    Bought an identical one about 5 years ago and it's been grand.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/same-leopard-85/24532800

Of one of these? Only 2wd but has the versatility of having a loader fitted.
    They have a good reputation, but it's important to get someone to check the brake pads and disks on these age Deutz.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/dtutz-fahr-tractor/22787884

Cheers will show him them two tomorrow and see what he thinks I would be going to my contractor as regards having a check over on the machine so will mention it to him also.

He would have no issue driving either one of those though. I was always of the impression that sames that old can give trouble but good to hear you have had no issues.

The Case 1394 that I put the link to is a 77hp tractor. It has a lift capable of lifting even a fusion round bale. While an old tractor it is a mid 80's tractor it looks like it has been done up. It seems to have a fairly decent type seat. I say it would only need weight at the front if the bales were very heavy. Can and tin work look ok even thought they have been cleaned up.

Biggest issue is it's a private sale I would say so it would need checking out but so will any tractor in that price bracket. Looks like it has been rewired, it also seems road legal.

Yeah she looks very clean compared to any others I have looked at in the price bracket. I am going to give him a ring tomorrow and suss our what work he has put into it and then might arrange a viewing if it is not a million miles away.

I’m still trying to figure out where I said a loader was a requirement

It was a joke. From your opening post, I thought you only wanted a little comfortable yoke for tricking around on. Others were putting up the horsepower (which is understandable but will take you over your budget unless you get something very rough). So I just extended that to give you that link. I wasn't being serious. My serious suggestion had been the 240 as it is a the next series equivalent of the 135. There were 250s as well but I think they were rare. 265's were a little over 60HP and would have no bother with a large bale on the back. There was a 275 I think also and maybe even a 285, but these were less common around here anyways. 290's were very common and they'd be a large enough engine and there might have been a 298 as well

If you only want to spend something around 5k, I would get something smaller and in decent condition to give him a bit of comfort if it will do (most of) what he wants to do. If you stretched it a bit you might get something maybe in the 300 series like a 365 in decent condition. If you minded it it wouldn't lose value. But you're probably getting up to near 10k for one of those. You might pick one up though for 7-8 with a few more hours if you were lucky. We don't really know what he wants to do with it. I mean in terms of the work. It might be something that he uses every day, or once every 2 weeks. Only yourself would know that and that would affect how much it's worth for you to spend. On the other hand, there is no point spending the money on a smaller yoke if it won't do what you want it to do.

You will always get relatively large amount for your 135 because hobbyist lads like them as do restorers. I don't mean that you'll get a fortune for them -- just that, from the other side, if you were a lad looking for one that is running to actually do a few jobs with, it's hard to get one that justifies the price for what you will do with it if you know what I mean.

I could sell yah a nice one if your heart grows fonder for it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cheers will show him them two tomorrow and see what he thinks I would be going to my contractor as regards having a check over on the machine so will mention it to him also.

He would have no issue driving either one of those though. I was always of the impression that sames that old can give trouble but good to hear you have had no issues.

If they are going OK (despite being 35 years old) they tend to keep going.
    Probably give less trouble than the slightly newer water cooled ones.
    The one in that ad. has the larger hydraulic pump, but as with any old timer, they need to be given a good checking over when viewing.
    Rust in the cab window frames is common...

It was a joke. From your opening post, I thought you only wanted a little comfortable yoke for tricking around on. Others were putting up the horsepower (which is understandable but will take you over your budget unless you get something very rough).

If you only want to spend something around 5k, I would get something smaller and in decent condition to give him a bit of comfort if it will do (most of) what he wants to do. If you stretched it a bit you might get something maybe in the 300 series like a 365 in decent condition. If you minded it it wouldn't lose value. But you're probably getting up to near 10k for one of those. You might pick one up though for 7-8 with a few more hours if you were lucky. We don't really know what he wants to do with it. I mean in terms of the work. It might be something that he uses every day, or once every 2 weeks. Only yourself would know that and that would affect how much it's worth for you to spend. On the other hand, there is no point spending the money on a smaller yoke if it won't do what you want it to do.

You will always get relatively large amount for your 135 because hobbyist lads like them as do restorers. I don't mean that you'll get a fortune for them -- just that, from the other side, if you were a lad looking for one that is running to actually do a few jobs with, it's hard to get one that justifies the price for what you will do with it if you know what I mean.

Yeah I see where your coming from as regards the 135 that is one thing he always says she will rarely lose any value sitting but I feel like something has to be done now or the place will just get wilder and wilder as regards lack of pesticides and topping etc.

He would need it for jobs such as topping, licking lifting round bales during the winter as we plan to house the cattle this year and then just odd jobs around the place that will aid my uncle more then anything and he could use it as a big help to himself as he is moving on and I am not around all the time. Even small jobs like giving our cattle meal and odd fencing jobs he is carrying things that he is not able to carry and I just don’t want it to be a day I’m not there and something might occur. All the land is in one block adjoining his house which is a big help.

Yeah I see where your coming from as regards the 135 that is one thing he always says she will rarely lose any value sitting but I feel like something has to be done now or the place will just get wilder and wilder as regards lack of pesticides and topping etc.

He would need it for jobs such as topping, licking lifting round bales during the winter as we plan to house the cattle this year and then just odd jobs around the place that will aid my uncle more then anything and he could use it as a big help to himself as he is moving on and I am not around all the time. Even small jobs like giving our cattle meal and odd fencing jobs he is carrying things that he is not able to carry and I just don’t want it to be a day I’m not there and something might occur. All the land is in one block adjoining his house which is a big help.

He’s in glas also so the past two years nothing has really been done bar the silage cutting and the ground is just getting wilder and wilder due to growth of rush etc and if this was maintained it would be a lovely pocket of land and stocking rate could even be increased

• Advertisement

There are always bigger tractors in the 100 series, although it might be difficult to get a decent reliable one nowadays as they'd be fairly old. Something like a 188. It depends on himself too. He might be kinda stuck on one type which he knows or he likes.

Here's a 175 for example. No power steering on it now or cab either.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/175-mf/24435812

Advertisement